Is Marching Band a sport or not?

Twilight Obsesser~Forever 2009/12/21 20:48:43
most definatly
no not at all
okay i have had this debate with my classmates for 3 months now and now i am coming to you the people of sodahead is marching band a sport or not

and before you ansewr read this

Any person that particapates in marching are actually very agile they have to do an lot of phisical work such as running. but what really makes marching badn a sport is the fact that while phisically workingthe body they also have to play witch in turn requires good lungs.
All in all MARCHING BAND IS A SPORT. and after you watch this video tell me this does not look hard

• Rob Hunt 2013/01/02 00:35:17
    no not at all
    Rob Hunt
    +9
    I'm in marching band and there's no way that I would ever consider it a sport. I'm one of the more athletic people in band and have no problem doing the basic drills and stuff, yet there are people who can't survive 2 hours in 90 degree heat. It's pretty pathetic actually. Ask anyone in my band, I'm sure the majority would say it's fun, it's educational, but it's not a sport.

• Sally 2013/11/08 06:50:27 (edited)
    no not at all
    Sally
    First of all, this whole vote was rigged at the start. The person who made this poll didn't want to know the real answer but to just make more people believe band is a sport. Also, now on to the arguments most definitely. Most of these comments were obviously biased because probably 90% of the comments were from people in marching band. To make it simple, its like saying school is good when you are a teacher that teaches in schools. So most of the arguments on most definitely just got wiped out with this. But same for no not at all. No not at all was mostly people in sports who see band is easy and not physical exertion compared to their sport. Now on to the dictionary definition that says physical exertion. This is opinionated and cannot be used. Now I don't know what you could use as a sport but, if we did use this definition, anything can be a sport. Like walking can be physically exerting. A big example which is also often argued about is if forensics (speech and debate) is a sport. I'm in forensics and I've been physically exerted so many times. I run in high heels and try being double entered in an invitational. You go to these tournaments that last one to four days waking up at 6am and coming back at 11pm. Also, with practice, like many people say for band it depends on...
    First of all, this whole vote was rigged at the start. The person who made this poll didn't want to know the real answer but to just make more people believe band is a sport. Also, now on to the arguments most definitely. Most of these comments were obviously biased because probably 90% of the comments were from people in marching band. To make it simple, its like saying school is good when you are a teacher that teaches in schools. So most of the arguments on most definitely just got wiped out with this. But same for no not at all. No not at all was mostly people in sports who see band is easy and not physical exertion compared to their sport. Now on to the dictionary definition that says physical exertion. This is opinionated and cannot be used. Now I don't know what you could use as a sport but, if we did use this definition, anything can be a sport. Like walking can be physically exerting. A big example which is also often argued about is if forensics (speech and debate) is a sport. I'm in forensics and I've been physically exerted so many times. I run in high heels and try being double entered in an invitational. You go to these tournaments that last one to four days waking up at 6am and coming back at 11pm. Also, with practice, like many people say for band it depends on how hard you try. Probably most people would think we just think up things and say it but, we have to follow a topic, make a case, and go around running to get to rounds. And Speech isn't as easy either. People would also think you just talk talk talk about things in speech but, there's so much more to it. You do acting,make your own writings, and interpret other's speeches. Especially in acting, its very physically exerting. If you want to be good, you have to stay after school until 8pm to practice unless you're just naturally good. Even with that I still do not think forensics is a sport with this definition. To put in another detail, just because you're on T.V on a sports network does not mean you're a sport (seeing many marching bands preform at football games). So no band is not a sport and people may say I don't actually do these practices in the heat and such but, even with that its not a sport in my opinion. Like I said before, both sides are too biased and the definition physical exertion is an opinion. And to add on, even if you do carry these 10lbs items, that's weigh lifting and weigh lifting isn't a sport. So the people who marching band carries a lot of weigh while walking, just supported that it isn't a sport. Why I chose no not at all was because its because since I don't do a sport nor marching band I really had no knowledge of both. But reading the comments has told me that for the marching band is a sport: They do exercises in 90 degrees and carry heavy instruments. Marching band isn't a sport: It isn't as tiring as a sport and people in band are lazy so that's why its hard. Now I might of missed a lot of the comments because I didn't want to read all of them but, the parts I did read had these points. Not only did the no not at all have more arguments, they impacted more. Some of them did explain why it isn't as tiring compared to sports. That's just my opinion though, take it or ignore it.
  • Caroline 2013/11/08 03:03:00
    no not at all
    Caroline
    You play basketball.
    You play baseball.
    You play soccer.
    You play football.
    You play volleyball.
    You play tennis.
    These are sports.
    But can you play marching band? No, you play trumpet or the clarinet or the drums. Are these instruments sports? No. You are IN the marching band. You do not play it.
  • nick Caroline 2013/11/14 00:07:06
    nick
    +1
    Simply not being able to say you play marching band doesn't mean it's not a sport. You compete, you have to be in a certain physical condition and you practice as much if not more than any other sport. We wake up at 6 and have to be at practice by 7. We got to school at 8:45. We get out at 3:45 and have sectionals until 5:30. Then on friday we march our show, and go home at around 11:30. THEN, we wake up again at 6 and be there by 7 for saturday morning rehearsal until noon. We practice just as much, if not more than you. And we only compete 4-5 times a year AT MOST. My band is highly competitive, so we go to our local competition, then a regional, then super regional, then state, and then grand nationals. And it's all for a 12 minute show that only really matters 5 times a year. After that you never play it again. How is that not a sport?
  • flutist99 Caroline 2013/11/14 02:34:29
    flutist99
    +3
    Technically you are IN basketball or tennis or baseball. There is physical activity in sports there is physical activity in marching band. There are ways to score in sports, there's ways to score in marching band. You know maybe you should look up the definition of "sport" and check off all of the things that marching band DOES have. Goodbye.
  • wow flutist99 2014/02/08 04:58:49
    wow
    Maybe YOU should look up the definition of "marching band"...an ensemble of musicians that march in time to the music for ENTERTAINMENT at events and in parades, often with brass, wind, and percussion instruments, drum majors and/or majorettes, and color guard...you're welcome.
  • Kat Caroline 2013/11/15 02:37:22
    Kat
    +2
    Well I am a Marcher and you have to look at it like this In all of the sports you listed it requires walking, running, training, and alot of practice And they get called sports.Ok now guess what happens in Marching band? We do all of that. We train. We practice.Then we compete. Just like in any other sport you have to be in a good physical shape.
  • wow Caroline 2014/02/08 04:56:18
    wow
    You play chess...your 'point' is invalid.
  • rayhojilla1998 2013/10/17 16:32:49
    rayhojilla1998
    It's more of a competition then a sport
  • haannah515 2013/10/07 01:00:25
  • griffen clarke 2013/10/01 02:25:25
    no not at all
    griffen clarke
    Truthfully I don't consider band a to be a sport, however i understand that band may be difficult and the practices may be longer than most sports but, it's about what you can accomplish in your practices. I have ran varsity cross country for 3 years on a team that has one state twice in that span, although our practices may be shorter than your band practices(3. Hour average) we accomplish ain't in that spa on days where we run long we can easily run over 12 mile sat a 7 minute mile and then do core work outs after. Along with cross country i play varsity lacrosse the practices are still shorter (3hours) we lift weights for an hour run for and hour then do stick drills/ scrimmage for the remainder of practice. The reason I don't consider band to be a sport is because it is not as demanding a most sports at least at a varsity level. I completely understand that you have to lift you instrument a for the majority of practice but for our band half of the practices we see them doing they don't even carry their instruments and yes our band has won state numerous times over the last couple years. If anyone can change my mind I am willing to listen to your argument I will not bring in Grades and athletic clothing brands to determine if you argument is valid.
  • Melissa... griffen... 2014/01/03 02:56:28
    Melissa French Horn
    +3
    But you do the same thing over and over again. With marching you have to know what you did yesterday say 7 charts or dots as some other people call them or even DRILL plus up to another 14 charts the next day. And on Friday and Saturday you have to replicate those plus up to another 20 you learned that week plus the 100 you already had. And we don't walk. A lot of people believe that we do but marching is an art. You have to break down your type of marching. There are multiple types. My school does the roll step technique and if you were to stop someone in mid march they would be balancing on the heel of one foot and the toes of another; or if going backwards on their toes. and look up a metronome online and go from 60 BPM to 180. We transferred that in my show in 2012 and do it for 2.5 min at 180. tell me you wont be tired. Just even walking is tiring at that. And you cant run you must walk if you do it. it is not the same because you have to engage your core so you don't bounce. And you home with body aches, so do marchers. I can't tell you how many times I have come home and my feet hurt so much to where I couldn't walk. And my back hurt and I had a migraine and my calves were BURNING because we worked on a part for so long where I mostly backwards marched. And on top of a...

But you do the same thing over and over again. With marching you have to know what you did yesterday say 7 charts or dots as some other people call them or even DRILL plus up to another 14 charts the next day. And on Friday and Saturday you have to replicate those plus up to another 20 you learned that week plus the 100 you already had. And we don't walk. A lot of people believe that we do but marching is an art. You have to break down your type of marching. There are multiple types. My school does the roll step technique and if you were to stop someone in mid march they would be balancing on the heel of one foot and the toes of another; or if going backwards on their toes. and look up a metronome online and go from 60 BPM to 180. We transferred that in my show in 2012 and do it for 2.5 min at 180. tell me you wont be tired. Just even walking is tiring at that. And you cant run you must walk if you do it. it is not the same because you have to engage your core so you don't bounce. And you home with body aches, so do marchers. I can't tell you how many times I have come home and my feet hurt so much to where I couldn't walk. And my back hurt and I had a migraine and my calves were BURNING because we worked on a part for so long where I mostly backwards marched. And on top of all of that you have to play to the best of your abilities and carry up to a 50 pound instrument.And to counterargument your statement of that it is not physically demanding, read all above what I have stated as my argument. And we don't just march; we add choreography. And some groups sing. And you have to do that when you are out of breath; try that next time you run for cross country. i have included some remarkable groups who do this. OH AND YOU CAN'T MARCH ON THE FIELD WITH YOUR MOUTH WIDE OPEN OUT OF BREATH BECAUSE THERE IS A PUBLIC PROFESSIONAL PHOTO SITE THAT DOES TAKE PHOTOS AT COMPETITION,http://www.bandgr... Also known as Jolecsh
    photography.

These are just some of my favorite groups some are just short clips
    this is what one would experience birds eye view http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
    THERE ARE PLENTY MORE OUT THERE
  • griffen... Melissa... 2014/01/09 05:24:27
    griffen clarke
    +1
    Isn't the main point of bands to support the school and other teams. For example football arnt you supposed to be their to "energize" the team you are there to support a sport. It's hard to call you self a sport when you sit in the stands playing music "no offense". Also how come a lot of band participants are over weight and they seem to have no problem marching and playing, but when it comes to actual running and working out 90% of band people are ridiculously out of shape. Our band plays during the same time my cross country practices are going on and my team has gotten many a laught out of watching the band try to exercise. Like I have said in my previous comment my schools band has own state 3 out of the last 4 years so they aparently are good, to me they all sound he same. But as I was saying band is there to support a sport it is not actually a sport
  • Bkauffm... griffen... 2014/03/05 12:37:07
    Bkauffman93
    Ok? What about the championship bands that compete? I happen to be an alumni of a championship band. I work for two national championship marching bands. The physicality of these bands out perform most sports. And I'm an athlete as well. I play and have played almost every sport.
  • Melissa... griffen... 2014/03/15 00:56:58
    Melissa French Horn
    Psych then you should see the ones in north Texas and Indiana. Esp the Indianapolis area. I know there are others that are IN SHAPE and healthier. ANDDID YOU KNOW. MARCHING STUDENTS ARE PROVEN SCIENTIFICALLY TO BE SMARTER AND HEALTHIER AND HAVE A MORE SUCCESSFUL BRIGHT HAPPIER FUTURE THAN THE OTHER ATHLETIC PEOPLE.
  • wow Melissa... 2014/02/08 05:04:23
    wow
    You don't walk...you march, duh. Band is pathetic. Honestly, band is for the kids that can't do anything else. Some people are in multiple sports but usually not most. I am in band and yeah it's 'hard' but try doing a real sport, like griffin. After that you can decide.
  • Melissa... wow 2014/03/15 00:59:56
    Melissa French Horn
    Band IS a real sport. MARCHING IS BOTH AN ART AND A SPORT. It's like dance. Some people are INCREDIBLE at it and some aren't. And I would at least think that you would think that it is possible for dance to be an art and sport. And I would think its a sport if we get PE credit for it.
  • alex 2013/09/11 03:16:04
    most definatly
    alex
    I say it is a sport, we march for 2 hours in 90 degree heat, we have 2-4 water breaks, and it is not because our directors are being mean, but they are pushing us to the edge, 2 of my band directors marched phantom regiment, and 1 director marched Carolina crown, top dci bands, and all the tech staff that helps us out also marched dci, so quit saying that it is not a sport and that it is easy, we practice twice as much as our football team, and since we are going to grand nationals this year, I have wake up at 6, practice starts at 6:30 before school, and after school, practice is from 4:30 to 7, I do this everyday.
  • wow alex 2014/02/08 05:07:56
    wow
    It's not. I am in band as well as poms. Poms is wayy more extreme than band but 'it's not a sport.' And btw, it's kinda illegal for them to not allow you guys enough water in extreme temps. That's how people die...
  • Melissa... alex 2014/03/15 03:40:46
    Melissa French Horn
    My directors are too! Except one is like right out of college but he was drum major for LSU!!
  • libby 2013/09/06 16:23:42
    most definatly
    libby
    +1
    A sport is defined as something that requires physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team compete against others for entertainment. Being in the heat (even if you don't think its hard) plus marching (CORRECTLY) is physical exertion. Playing an instrument while marching is a skill, and a band works and cooperates to achieve a goal making a marching band a TEAM. And finally marching band go to competitions every year to compete against other bands and win. Whether you feel marching band is difficult or not- marching band can be defined as a sport.
  • wow libby 2014/02/08 05:08:38
    wow
    Marching Band: an ensemble of musicians that march in time to the music for entertainment at events and in parades, often with brass, wind, and percussion instruments, drum majors and/or majorettes, and color guard...nope, notta sport.
  • Sean Brabston 2013/08/21 03:33:49
    most definatly
    Sean Brabston
    +1
    I hate when people (mostly football players) say marching band is not a sport. Standing in the hot weather and in the rain playing and marching most defiantly its a sport, and what really pisses me off is when people say "Oh that is not a sport you just walk around" it is defiantly more than that. Picking up your toes as far up in the air as possible is hell on your legs and having to breath enough oxygen to play AND march makes it even harder.Don't get me started about summer practice try going to school at 8 in the morning and staying till 9 at night for 2 weeks. it takes commitment. Marching band also has competitions just like all other sports. So, for all those dumb ass people who are like "that is not a sport" try it for a semester and then you will change your mind.
  • rebecca... Sean Br... 2013/10/19 01:16:15
    rebecca.bauer.758
    +3
    this is my favorite answer so far XD and so true!!
  • wow Sean Br... 2014/02/08 05:14:10
    wow
    I am in Marching Band, it is not a sport. And it's definitely...not defiantly...ha. But you know, you're right...marching most defiantly(meaning resisting or bold opposition of) a sport. Woah. Working out your calves is HAAARD work. Really feel the burn. Did I 'get you started?' :)
  • Cassie Smith 2013/08/14 02:19:52
    most definatly
    Cassie Smith
    It pisses me off when people say that band is so easy. You try carrying around a 45 pound drum doing what we do. I got a stress fracture in my foot and currently still have it after a year from marching the tenor drums. You can't just get a stress fracture from something that's just "so easy."
  • Sean Br... Cassie ... 2013/08/21 03:24:15
    Sean Brabston
    +8
    Drum line is what keeps the band going im glad im not in it (i play mellowphone)
  • Melissa... Sean Br... 2014/03/15 01:01:10
    Melissa French Horn
    MELLOS UNITE
  • wow 2013/07/31 05:37:09
    no not at all
    wow
    +2
    Stupid question. I'm in both band and poms and band is a breeze. Yeah band is nine hours in hundred degree weather, snow, and rain, with very little water breaks or breaks in general, but it is so easy. All you need is rhythm and the ability to count. Most people wouldn't classify dancing/poms as a sport, but it is at least twenty times harder than band, at least. Anybody who thinks band is a sport needs to try an actual sport; football, soccer, track, even dancing. And for those who say we have rules, scoring and what not, so does chess; is that a sport too? C'mon, I laugh even thinking about this question. :)
  • Sean Br... wow 2013/08/21 03:38:00
    Sean Brabston
    +6
    but a sport consist of physical activity look it up
  • Amanda_... Sean Br... 2013/10/02 10:45:50
    Amanda_schwarz
    +3
    It definitely is a physical activity go out there with a tuba and try jazz running for 2 hours Thank you then come tell me what you think
  • wow Amanda_... 2014/02/08 05:15:28
    wow
    Actually I have. And my opinion is no different.
  • Melissa... Amanda_... 2014/03/15 03:42:19
    Melissa French Horn
    Omg dude I have so much respect for you right now.
  • wow Sean Br... 2014/02/08 05:18:56
    wow
    Is gym class a sport? It has physical activity. No, it's a class. Is exercising at home a sport? It has physical activity. No, it's you working out. Is walking from class to class during school a sport? You're physically being active. No, it's walking to classes. Nice try, but no.
  • Melissa... wow 2014/03/15 03:43:51
    Melissa French Horn
    Cardio is a form of a sport. Walking is a sport. Gym class goes through MULTIPLE sports. At least at the schools I went to did
  • wow Sean Br... 2014/02/08 05:34:12
    wow
    No?
  • rickey.... wow 2013/11/03 20:38:00
    rickey.howell.1
    +3
    Chess is a sport it was in the olympics
  • WhatThePope 2013/07/22 21:24:47
    most definatly
    WhatThePope
    +1
    Your everyday marching band, not a sport at all. However, DCI is more intense than most sports.
  • Madi 2013/05/27 02:03:29
    most definatly
    Madi
    +2
    For all of you who say it's not a sport pleas explain to me why ESPN (which stands for "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network") cover the DCI ( Drum Corps International) marching band championships every year.
    thats all...
  • iHurdle Madi 2013/06/04 17:18:05
    iHurdle
    +4
    They also cover competitive fishing?
  • nick iHurdle 2013/11/14 00:11:38
    nick
    +4
    Yeah. And fishing is a sport. You try reeling in a 50lb fish.

2014/04/23 13:20:55