“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” Ring true?

Leantom, the Economic Rationalist 2009/05/12 06:37:29

• safari 2009/05/12 07:25:23
    safari
    +10
    There are always exceptions to the rule but that was me except it didn't take me until forty. I think I still have a lot of caring views about others, the planet and animals for example but I also try to be reasonable and think things through. So many times if we don't take a good long look at things inside and out or from every angle it leaves us finding solutions that are worse than the original problems.

• hesspartacus 2010/07/15 08:32:54
    hesspartacus
    +2
    Why do so many people fall into the trap of describing the left as "liberal"?

Churchill was a liberal. So was Gladstone.
  • Tomato ... hesspar... 2010/11/02 16:19:40
    Tomato Cain
    +2
    Popular use of the word 'Liberal' has obscured it's meaning. A 'Classical Liberal' like Churchill, Lincoln and Jefferson is has politicals views closer to Libertarians or Conservatives. In the first half of the twentieth century, 'progressives' and 'socialtists' (not a huge differencebetween these two) found it an advantage to name themselves 'liberals' to avoid the 'socialist' brand.
  • Tombo hesspar... 2011/09/09 17:42:36 (edited)
    Tombo
    Which Churchill, Ward or Winston? church ward winston Ward Churchill

church ward winston Winston Churchill

Hint, The hand sign is not for piece, like the liberal hippies in the 60s used, it's for victory, like a staunch conservative of the 40s.
  • Adam 2009/07/24 21:03:23
    Adam
    +1
    I don't think this quote really has anything to do with Liberal or Conservative in the political sense, nor, even if it was, does it apply to the present day viewpoint of liberal versus conservative or the present situation the world is in. It's an interesting thing to ponder, but it is, at its root, spurious.
  • Jackson 2009/06/16 09:27:57 (edited)
    Jackson
    Churchill says I am heartless...I feel like smoking a cigar right now, I think I will make it a Romeo and Juliet cigar, Churchill size...
  • bigddan2000 2009/06/13 04:24:31
    bigddan2000
    +2
    liberals never think, they are all emotions.
  • MsGMK bigddan... 2013/01/30 18:21:36
    MsGMK
    That is the truth!!!
  • atrainwillmar 2009/06/09 15:37:47
    atrainwillmar
    +3
    So true. Under 20 you are so influenced by MTV and all of the celebs that are liberal. Once you grow out of that stage and get a job (not for the govt) you realize that the govt is taking your money. Socialism has never worked and spending money that we don't have has never worked. We need another Reagan right now.
  • m 2009/05/15 23:20:31
    m
    It's an outdated saying. There are so many of us that disagree with extremists from both sides because neither set of extemists like to use their heads. They just like to piss on each others hush puppies.
  • Don m 2009/12/20 01:07:03
    Don
    There are some things that are never outdated. This is one as is morality, truth, our constitution, freedom, the stupidity of the liberals....
  • princess 2009/05/13 08:14:45
    princess
    +3
    Wise words...but I've always been a conservative.
  • MsGMK princess 2013/01/30 18:22:44
    MsGMK
    I was always a consitive, but never pushed it....now I push all the time...
  • TawanasTangent 2009/05/13 06:44:05 (edited)
    TawanasTangent
    +2
    Yes I can agree with this statement. It isn't so much about a political party, but is more an attitude and way of being in the world.
    Youth is the hotbed of liberalism. There is trouble enough getting over fool's hill.
    We choose the youth to fight our wars for more reasons than one.

In addition, leftists prey on the minds of youth, to fight their battles, and in fact say and indoctrinate their fledglings to believe that no "progress" will be made until the older generation dies off. Leftist teach disdain for age and wisdom. It's a common rant, and the only ammunition they have.

If one is lucky, with age and growth, comes wisdom, reverence, restraint, choosing one's battles, and a greater element of conservatism. It can take time to understand that one does not have to act on every feeling that one has. Some never learn it.

I chose to be a liberal at 20. It took me many years to see through the feminist and Socialist/Marxist/Communist, etc. agenda, and stop being played by it. I wouldn't be a liberal now for any reason. I wish I could get back that time that I lost wandering in the wilderness.

The conservatives generally want your money. But the liberals always want your money, your guns and your mind, all in the name of tolerance and peace, of course.

Standard Disclaimer: "Don'...'"

Standard Disclaimer: "Don't bother to respond to me as I don't respond to partisan attacks". mind tolerance peace standard disclaimer bother respond respond partisan attacks
  • vogwawoman 2009/05/13 03:16:39
    vogwawoman
    +3
    Absolutely! I wised up in my late 30's.
  • Quebius vogwawoman 2009/05/13 17:35:51
    Quebius
    +1
    I have to agree with you on that
  • Alleycat 2009/05/13 02:56:23
    Alleycat
    +1
    How True
  • 1oct1 "Marko" 2009/05/13 00:32:06
    1oct1 "Marko"
    +1
    ...and then when you turn 60 you start to get senile, which means back to the start.
  • Don 1oct1 "... 2009/12/20 01:10:13
    Don
    +2
    Not me I'm almost 63 and I'm more conservative than ever. I love America and what it stands for, freedom from government oppression
  • 1oct1 "... Don 2009/12/20 15:54:15
    1oct1 "Marko"
    +1
    Nice.
    The way things are going I can't understand why anyone would be anything but conservative.
    Have a great Sunday Don.
    Vote em' out.
  • MsGMK 1oct1 "... 2012/09/17 17:15:56
    MsGMK
    +2
    Whoooo hooooo I agree a trillon percent!
  • MsGMK 1oct1 "... 2012/09/17 17:14:36
    MsGMK
    +1
    Bologna, I am still as sharp as I was in my 20's...probably more so now.
  • MsGMK 1oct1 "... 2013/01/30 18:25:59
    MsGMK
    At 60 I am more conservative then ever...whoooo hoooo!
  • E.G. 2009/05/12 22:12:19
    E.G.
    +2
    Very close! Here's my story... I was a liberal until I was old enough to get a job at 15 and wondered where the heck my money went between "gross" and "net", then I was conservative until I was about 30 when I got tired of forking over my check to an expanding gov't seeking only to protect me from me and my rights. Now I'm a Libertarian. *grin*
  • Joves the Instigator 2009/05/12 21:07:46
    Joves the Instigator
    +5
    No I was conservative when I was 20. Fact is I was a Goldwater conservative at 20. I saw liberals my age as whiners back then.
  • Silverback 2009/05/12 20:12:26
    Silverback
    +2
    There are a lot of universal truths. We all learn in life that there are some things that all the good intentions and wishful thinking in the world can't fix. Then we awaken to the facts that there are people in the world that are, mean and evil, there are those that are ignorant, there are those that are greed and some that are just plain lazy. In all of that some can change with the right incentive. Most will never change, that is how they wish to live their lives. Some things just are and are beyond reason.
  • Pet Rock Whisperer 2009/05/12 18:24:19
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +4
    How about having both a heart and a brain and something else? My individuality! There is only a line in the sand between the conservatives and the liberals. What both sides seem to not understand is that they both are a minority. There are many more of us that don't fall into either category.
  • Leantom... Pet Roc... 2009/05/12 19:45:49
    Leantom, the Economic Rationalist
    +1
    Good point. Thanks for contributing.
  • Pet Roc... Leantom... 2009/05/12 21:07:39
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    You're welcome, thanks for understanding!
  • Don Pet Roc... 2009/12/20 01:13:13
    Don
    Not true, the minority are ones that are neither. It may be your definition of what constitutes a liberal and a conservative that makes you feel that way. You either believe that the government is there to provide for you or you believe that the government is always in the way.
  • No
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +4
    I am fourty and I think on my own..I refuse to drink the koolaid of either party..I think for myself...
  • Gradord ☆The Ro... 2009/05/12 20:56:29
    Gradord
    Haha i like how you put that
  • Don ☆The Ro... 2009/12/20 01:15:18
    Don
    It's not about the party, it's about the constitution. If you believe that our constitution should be followed you're a conservative. If you think it's an obstruction to progress, then you are a liberal/progressive. It's that simple.
  • MsGMK Don 2012/09/17 17:20:37
    MsGMK
    +3
    Don, I could not agree more. Thank you for your post.
  • QueenShebaVIII 2009/05/12 17:57:18
    QueenShebaVIII
    +2
    I'm not even 20 yet, so I don't know. xP But I'm sure I'll never be a conservative. I might be more of a conservative by then, but I don't think I could change my opinions that much. I'd rather be in the middle, though I'm probably closer to liberal right now.
  • cronewinter 2009/05/12 17:37:08
    cronewinter
    +2
    Is there no middle ground where one is allowed a heart and a brain?
  • BoyOfTheEnders 2009/05/12 16:44:49
    BoyOfTheEnders
    +2
    I can not agree with the whole label thing...
  • Faith ~American Patriot~ 2009/05/12 16:38:31
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    +2
    I think liberals at any age are heartless.
  • QueenSh... Faith ~... 2009/05/12 17:58:07
    QueenShebaVIII
    +1
    The quote says "if you're NOT a liberal at 20 you have no heart."
  • Faith ~... QueenSh... 2009/05/12 22:23:42
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    I know what it says, and I said that no, I do not agree with that and then I stated why.
  • crynn Faith ~... 2009/07/22 16:20:02
    crynn
    +3
    You never stated why.

2014/04/20 06:05:46