Feature Update: Topics, Profile Info & Subscribe

Fef 2011/04/29 05:18:03
SodaHead Groupies
Related Topics: Orange, Background, SodaHead
SodaHead.com now ranks amongst the elite websites thanks to over 10 million monthly visitors asking questions, sharing opinions, and reading each others comments.

SodaHead.com has established itself as the place for opinions on the web thanks to loyal SodaHeads like you.

We won't rest on these laurels... we know that we can make SodaHead even better for sharing your opinions, meeting people who share your passions, and learning about people you'd never meet on traditional social networks. Today's new feature release has a few gems we hope you'll love as much as we loved making them for you.

First, you'll quickly notice that "Related Topics" moved just under the Question near the top of the page. SodaHeads ask thousands of new Questions everyday, which makes it difficult to discover the Questions that match your passion. The new algorithms and location of the Topics links help you find that next Question that you've just gotta' answer.

Second, SodaHeads like to share their opinions. Some want to share, but only anonymously. We respect that. a place where anyone can feel safe expressing their true feelings. At SodaHead, you never know if you've engaged in a discussion with your teacher, boss, neighbor or even your bff. SodaHead promises to continue providing this anonymity. But you also want to know a little more about other SodaHeads than just a nickname so we've added a few more questions about your professional background. This will help people know a little more about each other -- and best of all you can earn more points! You can still select the "private" option to hide this information on your profile if you don't want others to feel jealous that you make big bucks. Tell us more about yourself and earn points now by updating your profile here.

And I've saved the best for last.... Subscribe! You can subscribe to any Question and get New Happening alerts for every vote and comment. SodaHeads have begged for this feature for a while, and now we've built the servers, written the code and secretly tested it for a few weeks. To subscribe, first submit your comment then click the "Subscribe to this question" button and you'll start getting alerts. You can unsubscribe by clicking "Unsubscribe" on the Question page or from your New Happenings when you get alerts. Go ahead and give it a whirl by first commenting on this question then clicking the orange "Subscribe to this question" button under the comment field.

As always, we look forward to your feedback.

You must be a member of the group SodaHead Groupies to vote on this poll.

• safari 2011/04/29 06:32:13
    safari
    +8
    Congrats on your status - but I never see that many people here so 10 mill sounds like a whole lot more than I would have guessed. Thanks for the subscribe button! Much needed. And as you know, I could care less about points or telling other soda heads or you or any of your advertisers or anyone personal/private info.

• Phyl *In God i Trust* 2013/10/14 01:48:33
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
    congrats FEF .
  • Kara ~~~ American Patriot 2013/10/12 06:24:27 (edited)
    Kara ~~~ American Patriot
    +1
    That is awesome news, Fef. I always knew that SH would get to the elite status.
    It is good to advertise SH. I would not be here if I had not seen a SH advertisement on a game site.
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2011/07/02 21:31:47
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    Sweet!!!
  • Xerxes,Phantom of PHAET 2011/05/23 03:04:49
    Xerxes,Phantom of PHAET
    +2
    congrats
  • RockyMtGirl BN 2011/05/11 01:18:18
    RockyMtGirl BN
    +1
    Thanks, Fef; and thanks for letting us have the option of disclosing or not disclosing all personal information. I enjoy SH but would like for it not to feel like work; or feel pressured about things that have nothing to do with exchanging opinions and having fun. Great job!
  • Allbiz - PWCM - JLA 2011/05/09 19:53:33
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    +2
    My profile is 30% complete and that's more info than I want you to know. So why would I want you provide more?
  • Fef Allbiz ... 2011/05/09 20:08:08
    Fef
    +3
    You don't have to provide more... You can choose to hide your non-personal information if you want. You can also answer the questions and select "private" to hide them from others.

Providing the information helps your SodaHead experience in several ways:

* Let others know something about you while still remaining anonymous.

* SodaHead can help you discover content related to your profile background.

* SodaHead sometimes reports statistics about leading answers such as the percentage of women who voted for McDonalds vs. Burger King.

SodaHead respects your privacy -- more than traditional social networks that require real first and last names. We want you to continue sharing your opinions, but it helps people to understand your perspective if they see more about you on your profile.
  • Allbiz ... Fef 2011/05/09 20:48:35
    Allbiz - PWCM - JLA
    +1
    Fef, I like you, and I like SH. But please don't try to do a sales job on me.

Many SH's including myself, have asked numerous times to return to the old SH, to bring back blogs, to eliminate the levels system, to return to customized profiles, to be able once again to down rave, and many other requests that continue to fall on deaf ears while you guys ignore those who made your site what it is and basically piss up our legs.

I particularly liked the comment about how you secretly tested it for several weeks. It was I who made that suggestion to Axelhead who said he would take it under advisement with the necessary staff. It appears he did. And yet I wasn't even offered the opportunity to be part of the test.

Sorry Fef, but I'm just not impressed with your new offerings nor with your company's loyalty to your users.
  • blissful 2011/05/02 21:17:56
    blissful
    +1
    thanks so much for allowing us to learn more about people, cultures, and events on this SH site. Congradulations on a job well done with having 19 millions opinionators on here! I know that you can't please all the people all the time, but what you do I appreciate very much. Blissful... sh site congradulations job 19 millions opinionators people blissful I appreciate you LOL!-LOL!
  • elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard 2011/04/30 07:53:42
  • MO.gal 2011/04/30 03:06:30
    MO.gal
    +4
    Way to go, Fef!!!

fef great job
  • PhilCooper 2011/04/29 21:10:16
    PhilCooper
    +2
    I'd suggest adding the following Career Industry categories:

*Mining
    *Manufacturing
    *Agriculture
    *Professional
    *Technical
  • Fef PhilCooper 2011/04/30 00:47:44
    Fef
    +2
    Thanks. I've given those to the product team.
  • #Justic... Fef 2011/05/09 19:59:13
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    I'd like the option of not having to share your "body type" & not be penalized for an incomplete profile. I conservative SH badmouthed me when I made my information public in that area. IMHO my body type has nothing to do with my opinions. Especially since 99% of my responses are political in nature.
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2011/04/29 20:22:03
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +1
    good job

And congratulations.
  • Gracie ~Gun Totin' Gracie~ 2011/04/29 19:51:09
    Gracie ~Gun Totin' Gracie~
    +2
    Congrats Fef! congrats fef great job glitter congrats fef great job glitter
  • Fef Gracie ... 2011/04/29 19:58:15
    Fef
    +3
    Thanks to you guys (and gals)!
  • Gracie ... Fef 2011/04/29 20:11:35
    Gracie ~Gun Totin' Gracie~
    +3
    You're welcome! yeehaw yeehaw
  • Dave**Gay for Girls** 2011/04/29 19:00:16
  • Mikitty☆彡(SHARP) BN-0-WAWU 2011/04/29 18:40:17
    Mikitty☆彡(SHARP) BN-0-WAWU
    +2
    Congrats!
  • Fef Mikitty... 2011/04/29 18:49:47
    Fef
    +3
    Thank you! You helped make it possible.
  • Jack's Pearl 2011/04/29 18:30:12
    Jack's Pearl
    +3
    Very cool! I like the subscribe idea. Now just allow all users to answer all questions and we will have an even better site! :) Of course members could still be blocked from each other within the post, but otherwise the questions will be open. That would be great! No more mass blocking to create biased polls and discussions. :)
  • ETpro 2011/04/29 16:32:09
    ETpro
    +3
    10 million visitors a month. Is that unique visitors? I know I'd be in there maybe 100 to 500 times a month as I click through to answer emailed questions multiple times per day.

Anyway, congratulations on the success. And thanks for continuing to make improvements.
  • Linkums 2011/04/29 16:10:22
    Linkums
    +2
    Sweet. Now we just have to add that new profile information to the polling statistics so we can see what percentage of people who have a favorite color of red work at a full time job. (and one could opt out of sharing such information of course)
  • Master Zach 2011/04/29 14:48:25
  • BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust" 2011/04/29 13:21:04
    BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust"
    +4
    Cool! I tell everybody about Sodahead. I love it here!
  • Fef BH1701 ... 2011/04/29 18:50:34
    Fef
    +2
    Apparently they all joined :)
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2011/04/29 13:05:29
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +2
    Congratulations Fef!
  • ProudProgressive 2011/04/29 12:54:36 (edited)
    ProudProgressive
    +2
    Thank you for the upgrades. Do you have to comment on a question before you can "subscribe" to it?
  • Fef ProudPr... 2011/04/29 18:51:15
    Fef
    +1
    Yes. We required the "comment before subscribe" for now for several reasons. Mostly, who would subscribe to a question they didn't comment on?
  • ProudPr... Fef 2011/04/29 19:14:33
    ProudProgressive
    +5
    There are some questions where the author has blocked me but raise issues that I find interesting. I wouldn't mind being able to follow the debate on questions like that even if I can't participate.
  • Fef ProudPr... 2011/04/29 19:58:40
    Fef
    +4
    Good point... We'll look into that.
  • ProudPr... Fef 2011/04/29 20:11:27
    ProudProgressive
    +5
    Thanks. Not an earth shattering issue, and I agree with you that for the most part it's better that people following a debate participate in that debate.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2011/04/29 11:53:55
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I noticed that today. Sounds good Fef.
  • Selketskiss 2011/04/29 10:01:13 (edited)
    Selketskiss
    +3
    Fef congrats on so many people coming to SH, the subscribe button sounds great.
  • Fef Selkets... 2011/04/29 18:51:39
    Fef
    +2
    Let me know what you think of it after subscribing to a few.
  • Selkets... Fef 2011/04/29 20:02:40
    Selketskiss
    +1
    Will do Fef, have a great day..
  • Artemis ~PHAET 2011/04/29 09:29:25
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +6
    I answered the three new questions and chose the private option for them, but my profile now says that it's only 99% complete. Is there something else I need to do, or is this a small bug?
  • Fef Artemis... 2011/04/29 18:54:12
    Fef
    +2
    Have you "connected" with Yahoo, Google, Twitter and/or Facebook? You can connect from the Leaderboard - scroll down a little and look at the right side for "bonus"
    http://www.sodahead.com/users...
  • Artemis... Fef 2011/04/29 23:47:47
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +3
    Ah, no, I haven't, and I don't wish to, so my profile will just have to stay at 99%. Thanks, Fef.

2014/04/18 18:25:30