Who do you prefer Marilyn Monroe or Elizabeth Taylor?

Poet003 2010/10/30 10:47:23
Marilyn Monroe
Elizabeth Taylor

I think Taylor and Monroe were both good actresses for sex symbols.They were not BJORK
more Angelina Jolie without the awesome stuntwork.Elizabeth Taylor is very highbrow
and Marilyn Monroe is more Americana. I cant imagine Marilyn Monroe in her tartan
or playing Shakespeare.I do think Marilyn had some acting ability .She could play
villians and more dramatic characters such as the heroine of the Misfits by Arthur
Miller.
I made a joke once based on the film Highlander where Marilyn Monroe
and Elizabeth Taylor are fistfighting in their tartans and I come in with a gun and
shoot them both saying thar can only be one! I dont care about being Scottish
anymore or English. I am american with Irish and Icelandic symapthies.I like
Marilyn Monroe the best.
I think the Taylor Tartan is violet, the Nicholson tartan is red, green, and blue,
and the Monroe tartan is red and green.I could get eyeball attention putting on my tartan,
Taylor could get hers in her violet tartan,Princess Diana was royal blue like her position,
but Marilyn Monroe was the real candle in the wind in part because she didnt look like
her tartan.Marilyn nails the emotion on "Im thru with Love" Billie Holliday like emotion
thats amazing even though Holliday and Monroe didnt have great range like a Ella
Fitzgerald or Maria Callas or Whitney Houston.

• therainbowsshadow 2010/10/30 12:28:25
    Marilyn Monroe
    therainbowsshadow
    +4
    I'm w/you, dear poet- I love 'em both, and they're both stunning beauties, but there's something inexplicably endearing about Marilyn regardless of the fact that she's no longer here; I feel if she still were w/us today, she'd still be great. Long live Marilyn Monroe♥
    beauties inexplicably endearing marilyn shes feel wus live marilyn monroe

• yangiskon 2012/06/01 23:33:59
    Elizabeth Taylor
    yangiskon
    +1
    Def clicked Taylor by accident, Marilyn is my queen beauty idol, adore her <3
  • Pikku13 2012/05/30 23:45:45 (edited)
    Marilyn Monroe
    Pikku13
    +2
    Though both of these women showed amazing beauty and were idolized in their time, they are not the same in even the smallest of ways.

Marilyn Monroe, in my opinion, better than Elizabeth Taylor could've ever hoped to be. Marilyn had real life strugges, on stage and off, and she shows the true American opportunities by showing that even a run-down girl can make a fortune out of a quarter, metaphorically speaking.

(A picture of Norma Jean Baker before she became the world renowed sex symbol Marilyn Monroe.)

Unlike Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe did not always have an amazing life on screen, but when she did, she still was the same girl with the same problems.

"They fall in love with Marilyn, and thats all they see."

Marilyn Monroe was a fictional character, which in the fashion makes Norma (Marilyn Monroe's real name*) the greater actress of all. Though Marilyn was known for beauty, she wanted to be known for brains. However, every studio company had agreed, if she was to resume her role on stage as the sex symbol of the century, she could not be portrayed in such a manner. In this sense, Marilyn was pressured to continue to be portrayed as a (stereotypically speaking) dumb blonde with breasts. This in its own must've made her reign as the sex symbol twice as stressing.

To be thi...

Norma Jean Baker

To be this type of woman on stage, Marilyn was internationally thought to be the same off-stage. This also must have put a great deal of pressure on the sex symbol, since all she was to the men that wanted her was a blonde with no brains. All of her marriages ended in horrid divorces, but all of her husbands had, 'married the wrong woman.'

They had married Norma, but they wanted Marilyn.

You must also understand that Marilyn had an extreme fear of going on stage (which made her job rather ironic.) Stage fright was just one of the first problems that many of the directors working with her would notice, and as her fame got larger, much more problems began to progress further (including stage fright.)

Many people who worked with Marilyn Monroe noticed that she had a numerous amount of problems which would effect the film, however none of them stopped. They just bit their tongue and waited for the ending results. Many directors that held through with Marilyn had a new perspective on the sex symbol, however none of them had forgotten how utterly amazing she was, and how with just a little boost, she could be as graceful as aphrodite herself. Not to mention their films also were praised by the people who'm could not see the struggle behind the camera.

forgotten boost graceful aphrodite mention films praised people struggle camera

"Remember, Coca-Cola and Frank Sinatra."

Marilyn Monroe was very confident (atleast on the outside) when infront of a microphone, infront of a rushing closing crowd. She was very honest to her word when in an interview, and never for once took her fame for granted when she spoke of it.

"My fans make me famous, and without them I wouldn't know what to do."

-Marilyn Monroe, last interview ever recorded before her suicide in 1962

Marilyn Monroe admitted that, to boost her fame, she had posed for playboy. This was one of her most famous moves, although it increased her overly accepted picture of the brainless blonde with breasts. Eventually, Marilyn accepted that she could not ever hope to succeed in any other fashion but the one she was known for; Sex symbol.

(We should also note that it is because of Marilyn Monroe that Playboy Magazine is famous.)

Marilyn Monroe also did much more admirable things that Taylor, such as visit soldiers who were in Korea. She was internationally the American star, and unlike Taylor, remains a legacy even to the new generation. I am a living proof of such interest.

I sadly admit that I had not known of Elizabeth Taylor, even though it is ironic for me to say, I watched Cat on a hot tin roof just the night before I wrote this. I honestly had no idea she was even significant, and I did not recognize her name through the rolling credits. It is also sad to know that I watched Cleopatra the same night before, and I still did not know. She may be brilliant, but she is not Marilyn.

I am not saying that Elizabeth Taylor was any less than a star, or that she did not have struggles of her own, but she did not have the same elements of pure bliss that Marilyn brought, and still brings, to her viewers from the other side of the screen.

In Conclusion, Marilyn Monroe was the sex symbol of the century, the tragic actress in history that would be forever remembered.
    Marilyn Monroe ballerina
  • Pikku13 Pikku13 2012/05/30 23:50:06
    Pikku13
    +3
    All marriages, I quote, but one ended in divorce due to disappointment of character.
    Marilyn Monroe's first marriage was before she was even known as Marilyn, and in this manner was the opposite of her other two marriages. I also forget to add her affair with the American President JFK (John F. Kennedy.)
  • Poet003 Pikku13 2012/05/31 03:09:24
    Poet003
    Niether of them were the worst people ever.Yet Marilyn probably did have a heart of gold compared to Liz Taylor.
  • Poet003 Pikku13 2012/05/31 03:07:52
    Poet003
    +1
    Those photos of Marilyn posing for the troops of the U.S.A are some of the better photos of her to me.Marilyn was cool helping Ella Fitzgerald make it as a singer etc.Marilyn wouldve supported the AIDS cause had she lived.She knew what it was like to be a outcast some.
  • Alicia 2011/08/17 05:06:35
    Marilyn Monroe
    Alicia
    +2
    I LOVE everything about MariLyN MoNroe!!
    I even have 2 tattoos of her.
  • Sonia 2011/02/10 10:45:25
    Elizabeth Taylor
    Sonia
    +1
    I have always found Elizabeth to be more beautiful, more talented and a wayyy better actress than Marilyn Monroe... and most importantly, more dignified... <3
    beautiful talented wayyy actress marilyn monroe importantly dignified 3
  • Poet003 Sonia 2011/02/10 13:07:57
    Poet003
    +1
    I used to think the same thing. Both are/were talented. I dislike the photos of Marilyn where her smile
    looks fake. I know her life was often probably hell but that shouldnt have interferred with her work.
  • Sonia Poet003 2011/02/10 19:43:29
    Sonia
    +1
    you're right my dear. Marilyn was messed up and she smiled in a way to cover up all her tensions... But I'm glad Liz took care of her well being.
  • Thailor 2010/10/30 20:09:07
    Marilyn Monroe
    Thailor
  • Mrs.Rupert Grint 2010/10/30 18:18:56
    Marilyn Monroe
    Mrs.Rupert Grint
    +2
    marilyn monroe. hands.down! lol
    marilyn monroe hands lol
  • FumbDuck 2010/10/30 17:26:33
    Marilyn Monroe
    FumbDuck
    +2
    Actually I hate to choose a woman based on looks. So from what I know and I may not have enuff information yet I choose Marilyn because there is or was something about Liz that rubs me the wrong way. And I would usually choose a brunette over a blonde and yet with these two as my choices I choose the blonde.
  • Marilyn Monroe
    υяsυℓα  vεηgεαηcε ►нαя∂ cσяε sтяαιgнт ε∂gε◄
    +1
    They were both gorgeous, but Marilyn's story is captivating
  • buttercup 2010/10/30 14:47:10
    Elizabeth Taylor
    buttercup
    +2
    as an actress, Liz.
    Marilyn was hard to work with and could never remember her lines. Too many pills I guess. But she had a tragic life despite all the money and fame.
  • Poet003 buttercup 2010/11/01 13:25:46
    Poet003
    +1
    If Marilyn couldnt remeber her lines then I suppose Taylor was a better actress.Sometimes I think history
    is gossip though and you have to take a leap of faith to believe anything.If I was a actress I could remeber
    my own lines and my hairs curly but I couldnt do great stuntwork anymore due to sports injuries.I am working on some screenplays but Ill let someone else play the parts.I wont audition.My mind is the
    best skill I have now so I want to work on science, theology, math , the arts, writing, and charity instead
    of acting.Add philosophy etc to that.
  • buttercup Poet003 2010/11/01 13:45:10
    buttercup
    +1
    Did you work for the studios?
  • Poet003 buttercup 2010/11/01 13:47:54
    Poet003
    +1
    No, I was just in some plays.Im a aspiring screenplay writer and songwriter though.
  • Poet003 Poet003 2010/11/01 13:49:25
    Poet003
    +1
    Ive published some poetry in a college journal and 1 in a Western Reading Services anthology
  • buttercup Poet003 2010/11/01 14:02:48
    buttercup
    +1
    I have written some songs, but nothing published or recorded
  • Poet003 buttercup 2010/11/01 14:04:56
  • Sissy 2010/10/30 13:41:01
    Marilyn Monroe
    Sissy
    +1
    Both of these women were "giant" stars in my own growing up years. Both had tremendous talent, even though Monroe's wasn't appreciated until later. (Plunging necklines, a lot of leg and sexy eyes didn't garner a lot of critic respect, regardless how well she played a part).

There is also no doubt that Taylor was more than a pretty face, but while some considered Monroe a "trailer trash beauty", Taylor was the girl every mother hoped her son would bring home.

LOL as it turned out, there were quite a few mothers that Taylor was brought home to meet.
  • bags 2010/10/30 13:28:51 (edited)
    Elizabeth Taylor
    bags
    +3
    Marilyn was a never-to-be-equaled-but-alway... star. She left us way too soon.

Liz, from the age of 9 has riveted out attention on her on the silver screen - from the young heroine in National Velvet (where she suffered the back injury she is wheelchair bound with now) to the slovenly, alcoholic evil incarnate of Martha in Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolf? Liz has also done endless work for charity, most notably the AIDS foundation. Marilyn was undeniably beautiful....but as Maggie in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof Taylor's sheer sexual power flooded the screen.
    cat hot tin roof taylors sheer sexual power flooded screen
  • Poet003 bags 2010/11/01 13:27:28
    Poet003
    Elizabeth Taylor was stunning in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I think Google possibly has a Monroe bias .Im
    going to see if I can pull up a good photo of Taylor.
  • Poet003 Poet003 2010/11/01 13:28:28
  • bags Poet003 2010/11/01 13:38:45
  • BlondieBrownEyes 2010/10/30 13:20:11
  • Poet003 Blondie... 2010/11/01 13:42:06
    Poet003
    +1
    I like that photo of Monroe. I dislike ones where I am looking up her nose. It annoys me.She had a "cute
    as a button " nose
  • GirlyGirl™ 2010/10/30 13:19:41
    Marilyn Monroe
    GirlyGirl™
    +3
    I have to pick Marilyn. She just radiated beauty, that naieve ethereal kind that made jaws drop. Like Princess Di, our last collective memory of her is that beauty. She was one of a kind.

beauty naieve ethereal jaws drop princess di collective memory beauty

• therainbowsshadow 2010/10/30 12:28:25
    Marilyn Monroe
    therainbowsshadow
    +4
  • Poet003 2010/10/30 11:00:07
    Marilyn Monroe
    Poet003
    +2

I was mistaken the Monroe tartan does have blue on it so my joke where I
    enviously shoot a fighting Taylor and Monroe is actually funny.
  • Poet003 Poet003 2010/10/30 11:01:40
    Poet003
    +2
    Monroe never wore her tartan and I will never wear mine either unless Icelanders and Republic of Ireland
    wear them which I think they dont.
  • Poet003 Poet003 2010/10/30 11:03:56
    Poet003
    +1
    Maybe I'll lose weight and wear a unique american style like Elvis , James Dean, and Marilyn or
    Johnny Cash.It'll include all colors.
  • Poet003 Poet003 2010/10/30 12:19:41
  • Poet003 Poet003 2010/10/30 12:21:10
  • Poet003 Poet003 2010/10/30 12:22:18
  • therain... Poet003 2010/10/30 12:29:55
    therainbowsshadow
    +1
    I don't think they do either, lol ;) :)
  • FumbDuck Poet003 2010/10/30 17:23:48
    FumbDuck
    +1
    I am disappointed becuase Poet003 is not one of the choices.
  • Poet003 FumbDuck 2010/10/30 17:30:32
    Poet003
    thats kind

2014/04/20 03:20:55