Were Carter's BountyGate Comments Out of Line?

SodaHead Sports 2012/05/09 19:00:00
Pro Football Hall of Fame finalist and former NFL wide receiver Cris Carter has come oh-so-close to being enshrined on the grand stage. So close he could taste it. Many fans of the Minnesota Vikings legend still wonder why he's not in the Hall of Fame yet. After Carter's recent comments on ESPN Radio though, the player turned football analyst's chances of getting inducted may have gone down drastically.

Carter was on the “Hill and Schlereth” radio show and was asked about the New Orleans Saints scandal we now all know as BountyGate. They specifically asked him about the players that were suspended an entire season, as a result of the NFL's thorough investigation. Carter's answered may have surprised a lot of people. "I'm guilty of (bounties) -- I mean first time I've ever admitted it -- but I put a bounty on guys before," Carter said on ESPN Radio. "I put bounties on guys. If a guy tries to take me out, a guy takes a cheap shot on me? I put a bounty on him right now!"

He elaborated on his point, bringing up an example from personal experience. “[Former NFL player] Bill Romanowski -- he told me he was going to take me out before the game, warmups. No problem. (He said) 'I'm gonna end your career Carter.' No problem. I put a little change on his head before the game. [I have to] Protect myself...Protect my family.” As an offensive player who's the target of tough NFL defenses and, at times, a victim of dirty plays, it's understandable that Carter would be concerned.

At the same time, isn't an offensive line's job in football to protect each other and block opposing defenses without bounties on the line? Carter not only potentially opened the flood gates for further investigation by the NFL, but also broke unwritten rules among his fellow football players. That being said, was Cris Carter right to bring the concept of NFL bounties to light?

cris carter nfl

• greg 2012/05/11 16:08:44
    greg
    yes but it doesn't surprise me Carter has said alot of dumb things in his career
  • davyd god loving patriot 2012/05/10 18:25:16
    davyd god loving patriot
    grow up, it's natures way to take out the weakest link. Even before man came out the trees or the nobama scummy pond lmao. God created me...........
  • JoanieNTX 2012/05/10 16:50:04
    JoanieNTX
    Go Cris! Roger "Good 'Bad' ell" needs to learn football. RME!!!!
  • rugrat1411 2012/05/10 15:25:18
    rugrat1411
    This bounty crap is going to far. Either let them play or give them flags to wear but enough already. It's football, contact sport, your going to hit someone or they are going to hit you. If you don't want to get hurt don't play!!!
  • keliffa 2012/05/10 15:24:07
    keliffa
    Romanowski the druggie. This sounds like him.
  • jacktown kid 2012/05/10 15:09:18
    jacktown kid
    not out of line and he will get into the NFL hall of fame
  • smitty 2012/05/10 15:07:27
    smitty
    Sad day for pro football. So much for doing it for the sport.

Hopefully college won't go down the hill.

I was already done with the idiot Pro Basketball.. Now I will just see if I care about Pro Football idiots come fall.

Maybe I will start watching Rugby or those people across the ponds version of futball.
  • John Hall 2012/05/10 13:45:15
    John Hall
    they were also stupid to purposly huty someone to take them out that player should be banned for life .
  • Talmadge Monroe 2012/05/10 13:12:02
    Talmadge Monroe
    +1
    The man does not represent or speak for the NFL or for an NFL team. Why would his comments be "out of line?" He simply, and honestly, stated his own experience. Do we feel better about all the rest of the former players who are lying by omission? As far as the Hof goes, he definitely belongs there.
  • carlton999 2012/05/10 09:55:31
    carlton999
    Bounty's have been going on a long time and they will not stop anytime soon. The Saints were just unlucky because they got caught. Remember when Reggie White and his Green Bay Packers were accused of trying to take players out. I saw the Packer play the Cowboys and 49ers in back to back games, they tried to take out Steve Young and Troy Akmin in consecutive weeks. That team was notorious playing dirty that year.

Everyone is making to big a deal out of this.
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2012/05/10 06:32:57 (edited)
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    HELLO it's a Pass Play! Other than the Tight End the Lineman are not allowed down field on a pass play! Who protects him?

The rules have changed a bit with more emphasis on elimination of cheap shots/ In Chris Carters day it was not so. You were down field pretty much alone and exposed leaping often exposing rib cages and off balance to catch. Smart DBs know this and many will and have taken cheap shots! Especially, if you're as good as Chris Carter and you've already burned the coverage a few times on a given day. Now figuring you're lineman cannot come down field? Who ya gonna call?

Now sooner or later it's a run play and your lineman are now free to roam! Now Chris say playing that other Black n Blue Division nemesis da Bears at Soldiers Field. You lean in the huddle and say "see #27?" "Steak on me @ The Chophouse after"!

But the game has changed for the better! The guy below is completely exposed and not a lineman in sight!

chris carter leaping catch
  • Dick Nixon 2012/05/10 01:10:38
    Dick Nixon
    +1
    He only stated that when he heard that if someone was out to really hurt him, he offered a bounty for protection... He was a receiver and most receivers can easily be hurt by safeties or linebackers. I dont blame the man at all...
  • nighttrain8 2012/05/09 21:46:38
    nighttrain8
    +1
    If Americans knew the complete truth as to what goes on in sports, the Mafia would be viewed as a benevolent society
  • george 2012/05/09 21:31:24
    george
    +1
    Football is a vicious game and he's being honest. He knew people were out to hurt him. The Saints are not the first team to be involved they just got caught. I have a bigger problem with coaches promoting it than players. They're not out there getting their bones crushed.
  • wes 2012/05/09 20:52:39
    wes
    Probably really doesn't care about the Hall of Fame, honest to a fault.......
  • M A 2012/05/09 20:48:40
    M A
    +2
    Hes just saying what the NFL doesnt want you to know.
  • BoardinOK 2012/05/09 20:47:25
    BoardinOK
    It's the truth.
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2012/05/09 20:36:27
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    +1
    An eye for an eye. That's how I see it and anyone that says otherwise is a hypocrite.
  • Superman 2012/05/09 19:16:00
    Superman
    +2
    I think this is great. And I think people need to start looking at this realistically. For example, take Romanowskis comment "I'm gonna end your career Carter". Bill was a violent and dirty player. However, I think in that situation we're talking about a comment made to intimidate, not an actual threat. Would Bill try to hit Carter as hard as possible? Absolutely. Would he even try to hit Carter dirty? Knowing Bill, possibly. But as for the comment its one of those comments. Its similar to when you get angry and say "Oh I'm gonna kill you".

That said, it is enough to know that Bill may come out for him. It may tip some game planning. You make that comment, and Bill is slotted to keep tabs on Carter all day, early on you get a good hard lick on him and then he's in your head. So what do you do, you go to your buddies and do something about it. Keep an extra eye on Bill and I'll get you a good lunch.

This is no big deal AND if you look at it from a real world and not an ideal world lens you'll understand whats going on.
  • BoardinOK Superman 2012/05/09 20:50:07
    BoardinOK
    +1
    Thank you.

Just because they caught the Saints on tape...don't be that naive and think that the Giants didn't target the return man that fumbled twice and cost the 49ers the game. The same one the Saint's coach was talking about. The Giants were just more effective.

2014/04/20 06:46:44