Should NBA Stop Fining For Ref Comments?

SodaHead Sports 2012/03/14 19:00:00
Another day, another NBA player fined for criticizing officials. This time that player is reigning MVP and superstar Derrick Rose, point guard of the Chicago Bulls. Rose was unhappy with the officiating during the Bulls-Knicks game and voiced his frustration, after taking a hard foul that was unacknowledged by the referees. The NBA decided to fine Rose $25,000 on top of his frustration.

"I've gotta be the only superstar in the league that's going through what I'm going through right now," Rose said as per ESPN.com. "But I can't say too much about it." The NBA has fined owners, coaches, and players before for criticizing officials -- most notably Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. While some fines are justified, especially when someone insinuates a “fix” or predetermined aspect as part of the game, other fines may be excessive.

Sure, Rose and other players who are millionaires can afford to pay the fines. But are they fair? Should speaking up about poor officiating result in a fine? Legendary coach Phil Jackson has said the NBA protects the officials like a "sacred cow" and doesn't allow any criticism whatsoever, even when it's fair. Should fines like the one to Derrick Rose continue? Or should the NBA hold referees more accountable for bad calls?

derrick rose

• psiEnergos 2012/03/15 16:11:16
    psiEnergos
    +3
    However athletes need a way to challenge bad calls too(or when no call is made). We live in an age where everything is filmed from every angle in pro sports. There is no reason why a player cannot challenge a bad call however, they would be fined if the calls could not be validated. I have watched enough games to know sometimes even the watchers need watching.

• josh 2012/03/18 23:14:07
  • Callaway 2012/03/18 14:54:52 (edited)
    Callaway
    This should be a YES I hit the button too fast. Too much substandard officiating in all pro sports in general with no accountability on their end except a much belated and meaningless "oops I blew that call sorry" if you even get that.
  • El Prez 2012/03/17 22:47:34
    El Prez
    However, the fines are very high. There should be a mecanism for there to be a quiet critique by the coach, with the league officials. Some games seem to have a lot of mistaken calls. There should be a way to correct this. Mouthing off is not the way.
  • bettyboop 2012/03/17 16:02:57
    bettyboop
    Hold the refs more accountable. It's not like their royalty.
  • eddkookyburns 2012/03/17 09:35:01
    eddkookyburns
    overpd prima donnas *continue 2 contribute 2 the `re-tired refs fund`*
  • Flyingbug 2012/03/16 22:05:51
    Flyingbug
    The other sports all fine players, coaches, and managers for criticizing umpires. But maybe a way to challenge umpires might be in order.
  • cranejumper 2012/03/16 21:03:54
    cranejumper
    You make several hundred thousand dollars or millions a year so toughen up you women blouse. I would of used the B word most people will figure out woman blouse.
  • ricknroll 2012/03/16 09:27:23
    ricknroll
    That's tough to say whether there should be fines or not about ref comments. The refs just need make the right calls the majority of the time, but sometimes they certainly don't.
  • P. Sturm 2012/03/16 05:16:05
    P. Sturm
    +1
    The ref's should be held accountable, but not by owners, coaches, and especially by players.
  • dekecds 2012/03/16 05:06:28
    dekecds
    Yes, provided the comment is free of anything not allowed in a public setting. No cursing or bad gestures = no fine. The ref has the ability to take out his own frustrations with players that skirt the line too many times or violate the line by calling personal fouls, but a player has no recourse for an emotionally charged or incompetent ref. Basically, an incompetent or overaggressive player that seems to always have his hands in the wrong place in the heat of action will eventually either cause a foul or warrant a personal foul. On the other hand an incompetent or overaggressive Ref gets protected for a long stretch before he is fired for bad calls.
  • disclaimer 2012/03/16 03:35:09
  • redneck 2012/03/16 01:02:26
    redneck
    +1
    Refs are there to call the game ,players are there to play the game.Do your jobs.
  • rockyjr5 2012/03/15 22:47:26
    rockyjr5
    Maybe will the refs stop showing favoritism to special players and you all know who those players are, than Rose and other NBA players will stop getting mad at the refs. Look the NBA has to many rules if they touch the ball wrong they get fouled. If the NBA doesn't do anything about their refs showing favoritism to an special player then some players might quit the NBA and they might also lose their fans, and if that happens than they lose money.
  • Cathy 2012/03/15 21:59:44
    Cathy
    +1
    A lot of times referees make bad calls when they should not have and there should be a way for players to challenge a call without having to pay a fined.
  • T 2012/03/15 21:56:34
    T
    The rules of basket ball state that refs can make any call they want if they feel it is in the best interest of the game. As long as refs don't make calls so horrible that it ruins the entire sport, they are operating within the rules of the game. I don't always agree with it, but I can understand the reason for it and accept it.

If a player doesn't agree with a call he needs to remember that the call doesn't have to be right for the ref to be in the right for making the call. It might feel like sh!t, but it is part of the game.
  • addie 2012/03/15 20:46:18 (edited)
    addie
    Yes!!! If refs cannnot be killed (or at least jailed- okay- fined - EVEN WITH REPLAY VIDEOES) for some of their freakin' calls...
    Respect a good ref, always, but...real sports people will know what I am talking about, a lot of bad calls by an idiot, or, even, just one bad call, but at an especially crucial time...argh!
  • nighttrain8 2012/03/15 20:02:29
    nighttrain8
    The ref's are human...they can be corrupted and should be held accountable. Remenber Donaghy, fixing games and his phone loaded with call from other refs.The NBA crushed any chance of him publishing his book, worse tactics than the CIA. What are the afraid of?

Years ago I stopped watching NBA basketball because of sooo many "questionable calls", then Donaghy went down and they cleaned it up.I watch again. I follow Mark Cuban when he starts to protest then I know they have started fixing games again. Guess what? He HAS STARTED COMPLAINING AGAIN

When a quality player of the stature of Derrick Rose complains...I LISTEN!
  • Jackie 2012/03/15 19:21:47 (edited)
    Jackie
    i meant yes. if they aren't doing their job tell them how its suppose to be done. If its an obvious foul don't be a douche bag and not call it. The refs should get fined >:(
  • Tennessee3501 2012/03/15 19:03:32
    Tennessee3501
    If they really meant business, however, the proceeds of the fine should go to the opposing team.
  • rosebud 2012/03/15 18:00:56
    rosebud
    If a Ref is unfair or unobservant they deserve to be criticized by those they are Ref-ing for.
  • TheDude 2012/03/15 17:58:41 (edited)
    TheDude
    +1
    Those referees are out there doing their jobs, and when they get heckled by these players, the audience chimes in and before you know it, the guy's getting boo'd by a stadium full of people.. all because he's doing his job. It's gotta get old sometimes.
  • hari 2012/03/15 17:07:45
    hari
    yes
  • Duane Freemantle 2012/03/15 16:42:10
    Duane Freemantle
    +1
    Referees should not be above criticism. The discussion will all either side to see where they are wrong. That is the players or their coach, and the referee. The current system is just wrong. However, abusive comments should result in fines.
  • Darlin' 2012/03/15 16:24:03
    Darlin'
    Free speech? No?
  • psiEnergos 2012/03/15 16:11:16
    psiEnergos
    +3
  • addie psiEnergos 2012/03/15 21:10:55
    addie
    That is a good point - players should be able to challenge a call.
    Refs are, pretty much, never held accountable either way, or at least forced to explain a horrible call, why do they care so much, are their feeling hurt? lol
  • Robert 2012/03/15 16:11:14
    Robert
    Yes, but with reason of course. A player should be able to articulate their concerns without a fine. After all, the game is about the teams and the fans, not the refs. And in Rose's case, his safety was at risk. And he was fined for telling the first person who can protect him, the ref? Are they saying that Rose was supposed to continue to take hard fouls and not say anything? The refs are better than the players? They are saying that the players have no power on the court at all! Only the refs. Where is the players union on this. On the one hand, the commissioner wants to improve the league's image and on the other not protect players from unnecessary physical abuse? AND, I've read some of the earlier comments. Some must be little kids because there are some silly comments on this thread. The refs need respect? A player can be fined for criticizing them and they STILL need respect? Have no refs and make the game like street ball? This is silly.
  • psiEnergos Robert 2012/03/15 22:40:45
    psiEnergos
    I totally agree. I commented earlier that player should be enabled to challenge when a ref makes a bad call (or none at all). Using fines to keep players from wasting everyones time would keep them honest (millionaires or not, no one wants to pay 25-50K for lying). It would also force refs to be more honest (and in some cases, less biased) during games. I don't ever see it happening, heck look how long it took to allow NFL coaches to challenge only one or two calls per game?
  • Robert psiEnergos 2012/03/22 14:51:17
    Robert
    Thank you. The NFL's call challenge system won't work for the NBA. Obviously because it's too slow and it will kill the game's pace. It won't work in Hockey or Soccer either. But something needs to be done because this a professional league and the bad refereeing is harming the game. I think the ref in this case totally crossed the line. What's next bench clearing brawl and lots of heavy fines and suspensions? Giving the right wing nut jobs and excuse to call the NBA players thugs while totally ignoring fighting in hockey. It's well known that hockey has players whose role is to fight.
  • psiEnergos Robert 2012/03/22 16:17:44
    psiEnergos
    I wasn't suggesting the NFL system at all (it only empowers coaches anyway, not players, and you're right, it's slow as hell. But you don't think the refs take their sweet time on purpose when they are challenged ;-D), no I was merely using it as an example of how long it takes changes of these types to happen in any league of sport.
  • Robert psiEnergos 2012/03/29 15:01:58
    Robert
    +1
    Oh, I know you wasn't suggesting the NFL's system. And on some calls, it's obvious the refs take too long. Even the announcers have said such.
  • Shuki 2012/03/15 15:41:44
    Shuki
    +1
    While sometimes the criticism isn't deserved, most of the time it really is. When it's hard fouls not being called or those games where Dwight simply breaths on someone and it gets called, the officials need some criticism. They need to be held accountable just as much as the players. That being said, if a player is getting all up in an official's face then a fine is rightfully earned regardless of a crappy call.
  • dimwit 2012/03/15 15:26:36
    dimwit
    The NBA searches under bridges to find their candidates and employ them after putting them on the wagon for two weeks. I guess the ONLY way the management can address the poor quality they are getting from their officials is to fine the guys who suffer from the abuse when no calls are made.
    The same applies for the NCAA refs as well.
  • Flamingolady 2012/03/15 15:15:08
    Flamingolady
    These big mouthed jocks need to be fined for their bad behavior. Show some respect, already! They are referees, and they see things from a different perspective!
  • jacktown kid 2012/03/15 15:12:16
    jacktown kid
    keeps them Honest
  • Sharon 2012/03/15 15:02:28 (edited)
    Sharon
    +1
    Yes. Exception, if they get face to face with them and threatening. They make mistakes I think you should be able to say something. It sucks. I was in a karate tournament once no hitting on top of the head. You're suppose to get 3 points you win. I was given 5 points they kept going and the chick bops me over the head they gave her the point. By the time I found my karate master who was over at another match to tell him and force them to go over the cards all they could do was give us both the trophy. I wanted to fight her again, if that was the case. They said it wouldn't be fair to her. How so??? I clearly had 5 points and had to have gotten 5 points before her 3. I'll never forget that. I came home all the way from California on leave to be in that tournament only to be treated like I didn't belong there...and I did say her winning point should not have counted anyway. Shed bopped me on top of the head. A shot illegal in that tournament.
  • addie Sharon 2012/03/16 08:35:50
    addie
    Freakin' heck! that was unfatr to you 100%! But you know that you, competed, challenged and won, honouraby and she KNOWS that her win came from bad sportmanship, it will always be a tainted, "win," to her. B)
  • eliotbatchelor 2012/03/15 14:57:49
    eliotbatchelor
    The refs need some respect.
  • vinone 2012/03/15 14:13:58
    vinone
    +1
    The NBA should stop fining for everyone, and stop calling so many penalties and make it more like street ball, the only fun kind of basketball.
  • Simi Dave vinone 2012/03/15 14:53:13
    Simi Dave
    TECHNICAL!

2014/04/23 15:07:36