Is the Upcoming 'Tomb Raider' Game Sexist?

SodaHead Gaming 2012/06/21 20:00:00
Lara Croft, star of the popular "Tomb Raider" franchise, is probably one of the best-known video game heroines to date. She even got a couple of film spin-offs starring Angelina Jolie. But an upcoming reboot game, titled simply "Tomb Raider," is receiving criticism for trying to reshape the character by explaining her past. Some are even claiming that the new back story is sexist.

The new game will focus on Lara Croft's life evolution into a battle-hardened heroine. According to producer Ron Rosenberg, the game shows her "turning into a cornered animal" and almost getting raped. The idea is to show how Croft became the strong person that she is in the series, but critics argue that it's taking advantage of the character's gender and "painting woman as particularly vulnerable." Do you think the plot point concerning Lara Croft in "Tomb Raider" is sexist?

tomb raider new

• vicb626 2012/06/21 20:40:05
    vicb626
    +11
    If anything the games are becoming artistic and entertaining because of the realism. I find the new heroine refreshing because of her human frailness and vulnerabilities and the overcoming of her circumstances. We (Tomb Raider fans) get to see (and hopefully be a part of) her evolution into the kick @#& character we've come to love. I say good job and I look forward to this game in the fall. First they didn't like the bouncing boobs and hot pants, okay i get that. But now this? Acceptable is what consumers deem it, not some whinny, PC nannies. If this is not your cup of tea you can always go play an E or better yet an EC rated game, let the grown ups play what we like and leave us alone.

• cc 2012/06/23 06:29:34
    cc
    +1
    ....and ain't it great?!!
  • El Prez 2012/06/23 04:19:16
    El Prez
    Stop reading too much into the game!!!! She is a character and this is a game, end of story. I can't believeit, who makes up these questions?
  • Raphy 2012/06/23 03:48:26
    Raphy
    +1
    For looking almost real, yes.
  • no1ymfan 2012/06/23 02:14:23
    no1ymfan
    So I guess Metroid is sexist. Oh not to mention in Halo Reach my Spartan is a female, so that must be sexist too.
  • beach bum 2012/06/23 02:14:13
    beach bum
    no
  • JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/23 01:36:11
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    How could this description be considered "sexist"?? Is this some form of 1984 newspeak?
  • Bibliophilic 2012/06/23 01:35:13 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    +2
    No, she is badass in the game. I have not seen any evidence that it is sexist. Also, the 'rape scene' is not an actual rape. She is threatened by a man and she kicks his ass. I think that an actual rape scene would be inappropriate and do more to harm than help the target audience for this game. From what I have read and seen the scene is not inappropriate and it portrays her as strong rather than weak. There is no need to show women being sexually assualted/raped in video games. Realism? How do you feel about watching men get raped in a game?

I have not played the game yet though, so we'll see. I like how she is less sexualized in this game and has proportionate breasts like a real woman. Sure she's still skinny, but at least her body is semi-realistic. Women play video games as well and we're tired of bimbos and eye candy.

lara croft 2012
  • Hopscotch 2012/06/23 01:33:24
    Hopscotch
    +1
    I HOPE SO.........Kick some ass............tight one.
  • Lord Emperor of Dune 2012/06/23 00:27:12
    Lord Emperor of Dune
    What isn't labeled as racist/sexist/gender-biased/mean these days? In 30 years you won't be able to enjoy anything that hasn't been pre-screened by the Ministry for Proper Think Cinema. Look out!
  • he in the dark who stands a... 2012/06/22 23:00:37
    he in the dark who stands alone
    i would have to say no mostly because i have played every single one of of the tomb raider games ever made and i have to say from what i have heard from the producers and the designers of the series the game was designed as an original redaction to every other game including a man as the main adventurer. see thats what people don't realize is most other games are sexest because they usually invlove some big strapping man save some defenceless woman. so hell no it's not sexest and i love the series.
  • None of your business 2012/06/22 22:57:31
  • johnnyg 2012/06/22 22:36:18
    johnnyg
    The only thing I remember about the game is DD titties.
  • boltfox20 2012/06/22 22:17:41
    boltfox20
    +2
    The OLD games were sexist, more and more as time went on. The original game was a woman with strength. Then it became breasts with legs.

Now, in the latest game, we are shown a typical woman, one that doesn't want strength or adventure, thrown into the fray and proving she can survive as good as any male character.

Simply because you are making your female lead character more female, that doesn't make it sexist. That makes it realistic. If feminists can't stand seeing a real woman portrayed in a video game, even for a few minutes, then they are the sexist ones.

Lara nearly getting raped is not sexist, it's realistic. Despite how often it actually happens, a woman raping a man is not nearly as realistic as a man raping a woman. It's built into the genes and into our instincts. Those who follow their more base instincts tend to follow these genes and tend to rape more often. As such, this is a very realistic scenario. If the roles were reversed, it wouldn't be a realistic scenario.

There are differences in the sexes. Pointing them out or using them to your advantage in a story doesn't make you a sexist, it makes you a realist.
  • Sailor Jerry [Proud Liberta... 2012/06/22 21:59:18
  • harrison.holthaus 2012/06/22 21:38:52
    harrison.holthaus
    +1
    I think it isn't, because in reality a male or a female could be equally vulnerable after being sexually assaulted, let alone raped. The only thoughts that came to my mind were a ripoff of the girl with the dragon tattoo.
  • beckylee 2012/06/22 21:25:17
    beckylee
    +1
    How is a survival game sexist?
  • KingTez 2012/06/22 21:13:35
    KingTez
    Yep. Because she looks real, not boxy.
  • deadshot 2012/06/22 21:01:16
    deadshot
    +3
    In an attempt to make a "edgy" or "gritty" story, these creators have fallen back to the popular "female empowerment" trope of being a victim of sexual abuse (whether or not it ALMOST happens is beside the point) and then overcoming it. Does that happen? Yes. But can't we get a female character who becomes strong via her own discovery and forging their own path? Because while sexual assault can be overcome, it's certainly not an essential part of every woman's empowerment, which seems to happen far too often with male creators.
  • May 2012/06/22 20:39:39 (edited)
    May
    +4
    Yes, but that is because it is true. I know this is just a game but they are dealing with a real life situation, and it is a real problem. Look at the numbers of this crime, world wide. How many men report being raped by a woman? So, even though you think this is just a game that is being talked about, it goes well beyond that and is a serious topic, and that is what I am choosing to address.

Unfortunately, women are victims of crime because they are considered the weaker sex. Our makeup is different, we are normally not the aggressor, the ability to defend is crucial.
    Personality has a lot to do with how a woman will respond to an attack, but many women are trying to change that, which is a good thing. If we were harsher with rapist, if we knew without a doubt they were guilty, they might think twice before abusing another human being.

It should be part of training received in school, for all women to know how to fight off an attacker. If, as young girls, they had it every year in school, it would be second nature to them and they would no longer be the weaker sex, as far as skills go. They still may not have the muscle or mass advantage but that can often be overcome by intelligence and skills and the lack of fear because they have been trained. I think fear is the big paralyzer here and knowledge of what to do can help prevent that. Knowing how to defend themselves would be second nature due to the years of training since they were young.
  • harriso... May 2012/06/22 21:41:53
    harrison.holthaus
    I agree to educating kids about attackers, however in the mutual spirit of fairness I think boys should be taught as well. Even though women statistically don't rape guys as much as the other way around, there are males that sexually assault other males.
  • Sailor ... May 2012/06/22 22:00:21
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    You sound like a feminazi.
  • May Sailor ... 2012/06/30 06:42:14
    May
    No, are you a rapist? A man who is good and has no reason to feel threatened because he obeys the law and would not harm another would not be offended by my comments. I have 3 brothers, and had an excellent Father. I just am aware of abuse women go through. Do you ever live in fear of being raped? I do not think you can speak from that point of view. All you have to do is look at the stats and all I am suggesting is for women to learn to defend themselves from those who would harm them. If you have a problem with that, one might think you are an abuser or see nothing wrong with it. Scary!
  • Kevin1111 May 2012/06/23 03:18:58
    Kevin1111
    I agree may. And equally as important is teaching young men how emotionally devastating rape is to a female, about how they never completely recover from it, how it destroys lives. The severity of rape should be made equal to murder in the eyes of everyone, including the law.
  • Empathic May 2012/06/24 01:01:13
    Empathic
    Yeah right, all men are rapists and let's teach girls from the earliest age to hate males. Maybe we could simply kill most males. No, of course, then they couldn't be enslaved to provide financially for women and to undertake all of the most dangerous, dirty, uncomfortable, body-wrecking jobs required to provide the infrastructure of our privileged lifestyles. So perhaps let's just castrate most men. Only save those who look like sexy celebrities. May as well; we already genitally mutilate many boys on religious grounds with little concern expressed about it.
  • deadshot Empathic 2012/06/27 11:52:22
    deadshot
    Wow. You must be a pioneer for Men's Rights. Take a stand, men who have controlled everything since the beginning of time!
  • May Empathic 2012/06/30 06:55:10
    May
    It does not teach hate to teach someone to learn to defend themselves. You have a lot of sympathy for men but none for women who have been abused. I had a great Father and 3 brothers, but I do not have respect for men who HATE and abuse women. How do you think the women feel after they have been violated if they live? Do you worry about that happing to you? Women have been venturing into some of those jobs but many are not capable, again, due to sheer lack of size and strength. They however do hold down jobs and raise families by themselves. There are health issues for circumcision, and it does not affect them sexually but how about the one some do to little girls so they can never have a positive sex experience? Get the chip off your shoulder and face the reality of the stats that show women are victims.
  • Empathic May 2012/07/01 12:45:34
    Empathic
    Yes, it's fair enough to learn to defend oneself, and victims of serious violence of course deserve support. However, if children are to be taught self-defence from a young age then this should be equally done for girls and boys, otherwise we will be extending the misandry (hatred of males) that feminism has actively promoted for many decades now. Your suggestion would involve teaching young children inaccurate stereotypes about men. Most men are not rapists, women don't corner the market in being victims, and women can also be violent and antisocial.

Consider the real facts. Men are overwhelmingly the most frequent victims of violence in our society. They are also forced to fight and to die in governments' wars, and if they refuse conscription they lose the right to vote, unlike women. Even in partner violence, women initiate physical violence against their partners as often as men do, although men cause more serious injury on average; nevertheless, women kill their intimate partners at about 25% of the rate that men do, and similar statistics apply to injuries requiring hospital treatment. Any initiative that promotes the stereotype 'man=offender' and 'woman=victim' amounts to dangerous and inaccurate propaganda.
  • Mother nature is biased 2012/06/22 20:32:33
    Mother nature is biased
    +1
    What these hyper sensitvie people are complaining about is just that things don't go the way they always want them to. It is someone's story that they wrote. If you want a born hardcore lesbian cannon fodder super heroine then become a film producer/gamer developer/writer/author, write a book/story/game or make a film and have at it.

Why does someone need to alter their creative writing, digital art creations, game characters or fictional movies to meet someone else's imaginitive standards?

If I was those creators/writers I would just ignore those people.

Go make your own content to your own liking. If enough people support it, then it will thrive, if not then your creation will not....and people can start complaining about why your creations 'suck.'

If you don't make your own creations and you think you can make something better then go do it. If not, then what you really need to do is complain about is yourself.
  • deadshot Mother ... 2012/06/22 21:07:50
    deadshot
    You're a moron. Sorry to say, but you've completely missed the point of having an opinion.
  • lakeisha 2012/06/22 20:31:42
    lakeisha
    +3
    Why is it that in every bad ass female back story there's rape involve 1. cliche 2. It's so gender bias: In a guys' back story there's no rape: but with a girl it's always have to be rape-I mean come on,really, come up with a better back story than that!-Don't keep giving us the same reason why a girl is so bad ass is because she was sexually violated.
  • Eggle Phantomhive 2012/06/22 20:15:42
    Eggle Phantomhive
    no ! this is a perfect instance where creepy , old and peadophile stalker critics try to gain the spotlight.... we wont waste our time with them ....theyre dying...
  • Kevin1111 2012/06/22 20:14:20
    Kevin1111
    So... Women *are* particularly vulnerable. I am way more protective over my daughters than I would be over sons. Why? because the world has lots of men who would like to take advantage of them. The plot is realistic and reasonable. Using realistic and common events in a plot is not sexism it is realism. If the fact that males and females have differences and different dynamics in our world offends anyone then they need a good dose of reality. Denying reality and getting offended about it does not make the world into what they wish it was, it makes them live in a fantasy world.
  • deadshot Kevin1111 2012/06/22 21:05:48
    deadshot
    +1
    So basically you have a sexist attitude toward your own daughters. That doesn't bode well, my friend.
  • Kevin1111 deadshot 2012/06/23 03:01:37
    Kevin1111
    lol. I have a realistic attitude. I dont pretend the world is how I wish it were.

I dont think many people know what the word 'sexist' means. It means that someone thinks that that one gender is 'better' than the other. Different is not better or worse, it is just different. We should accept these differences and work with them instead of pretending they dont exist.
  • Empathic Kevin1111 2012/06/24 01:04:05
    Empathic
    +1
    If you had sons you would do well to protect them against being taken advantage of by women. Our family law and criminal justice systems are now all set up to facilitate financial rape by women of men, and ongoing of enslavement of men to support women's lifestyles.
  • Kevin1111 Empathic 2012/06/25 19:16:50
    Kevin1111
    Point well taken!
  • Digman14 2012/06/22 20:07:19
    Digman14
    Laura Croft + Sexism? Haha
  • Wulfdane 2012/06/22 19:38:45 (edited)
    Wulfdane
    The people who claim such nonsense are media whores looking for attention and Politically Correct tyrants trying to impose their brand of censorship.
  • deadshot Wulfdane 2012/06/22 21:12:02
    deadshot
    +1
    Yes, because those of us who object to rape are just trying to be SOOOO politically correct.
  • Wulfdane deadshot 2012/06/23 00:16:30 (edited)
    Wulfdane
    You do realize it is a *movie*? That means, it is not real.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Simple.

2014/04/19 22:27:21