Are armed guards at schools a good idea?

L.A. Times 2012/12/21 21:09:26
In an angry and defiant news conference, National Rifle Assn. Chief Executive Wayne LaPierre on Friday forcefully rejected calls to clamp down on guns in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., school massacre, arguing instead for a massive deployment of armed guards to every school.

LaPierre pledged that the NRA would spearhead such an endeavor, appointing former Arkansas Rep. Asa Hutchinson to lead an effort to develop a cutting-edge model school security plan and a program to train volunteers who would be dispatched to campuses around the country.

In the meantime, he called on Congress to immediately appropriate funding to pay for police officers in every school "to make sure that blanket safety is in place when our kids return to school in January."

nra

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-nra-new...

• Griegg Griegg 2012/12/27 20:09:11 (edited)
    Griegg
    "hiram," it is the *method* of protection--the armed guards--that is the bad idea. That is what I said. The rest is your misunderstanding. Glad you blocked me.
  • Red Branch Griegg 2012/12/28 22:29:02
    Red Branch
    Your idea will save a lot of money on supplies and scholarhips, dead kids won't need either.
    BTW: Did I say that you are a cretin.
  • Griegg Red Branch 2012/12/29 00:06:45
    Griegg
    Kids in schools are and will be alive and needing the money you want spent on guards. Right back at you, bigot.
  • Griegg Griegg 2012/12/30 20:14:11
    Griegg
    That number is very small, like you.
  • Red Branch Red Branch 2012/12/29 06:17:35
    Red Branch
    Bigot, oh no, the dreaded B word.

There are a number of kids that are not around to tell you how unsafe school is.

The you blocked me, what a putz.
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/12/27 16:24:21 (edited)
    **StarzAbove**
    +3
    Will they have armed guards on the firetrucks now that two firemen have been killed by a sniper?

The NRA doesn't care about our kids or anyone else. Are they willing to fund these guards? I think not,,,,,they just want to make more money.
  • barry **Starz... 2012/12/27 21:29:03
    barry
    the beauty of the nra -- fire back duh, firemen can fire back too, money is not an issue to children who are loved , i'll fund them. ever have someone take your child from you? i have
    its indescribable pain, of course the money seems to be a social issue with kids since the church paid over 600 million dollars in out of court settlements to the parents of molested children instead of prosecuting them so others could be free. lets hear of all the care now?
    i want someone trained there to protect my kids ,yesterday. if i'm at all able i'm coming , shooting crying and praying , dont get in my way , i don't give up my gun without someone getting hurt
  • **Starz... barry 2012/12/27 21:32:05
    **StarzAbove**
    +1
    And you're willing to kill someone over your gun....that's the most asinine comment I've ever heard.
  • Nuke **Starz... 2012/12/27 21:35:22
    Nuke
    +1
    Not really, since Obama took office firearm sales have been through the roof, they don't need to do anything to make money, they just need to keep letting Obama run things the way he is and people will buy plenty of guns no problem.
  • **Starz... Nuke 2012/12/27 21:37:36
    **StarzAbove**
    +1
    That's because they are idiots and are scared to death he will be taking their precious guns. Not once has he said he would ban guns....all he and everyone with any sense at all wants to do is ban assault rifles. If he wanted to ban guns he would have done it 4 years ago.
  • Nuke **Starz... 2012/12/29 01:12:51
    Nuke
    First of all Clinton did ban those weapons and you know what happened? Things got worse, criminals will always get a hold of guns so why take away law abiding citizens guns away?
    Second of all NO they said Simi-automatic which they're redefining to a lot of guns, not just the kind Adam Landza had either.
    Third, no because he was focused on other things other than guns... Well maybe not since his administration fed guns over the boarder that killed 400 Mexicans and 2 American agents.
    Try thinking, I know you're probably not really used to it and probably takes a LOT of effort but it's good to try now and then.
  • **Starz... Nuke 2012/12/29 02:19:31 (edited)
    **StarzAbove**
    It's a shame that you couldn't just add a comment without a sarcastic snotty comment at the end. But that seems to be a typical reply when you know you're in the wrong. You're nothing but a loser.....

Looks like that's all you've done throughout this thread is try to demean others by calling them sarcastic names, when in fact you're the one that fits all those names. You must be a little short guy who has no self esteem and tries to be the big macho man by insulting others.....hey pal, it isn't working, we all see you for what you really are a scared little man than needs guns to defend himself. Poor baby....now run along little fella, I hear your Mommy calling you. big cry baby
  • Nuke Nuke 2012/12/29 04:44:24
    Nuke
    Typical person who's wrong who can't handle a debate, you lost so you blocked me, I am right, I have all the facts and you have nothing, I am naturally sarcastic and I called you a name because I think you're a dumbass.
  • wgossett99 2012/12/27 16:08:43
    wgossett99
    +1
    Where would it end? Armed guards in office buildings, malls, movie theaters?
  • darkest... wgossett99 2012/12/27 16:37:28
    darkest soul
    We already have armed guards in office buildings. Haven't you been through security in some places? Granted they may be public office buildings, but there are still armed guards. DSS, Unemployment, City Hall...all have armed guards and for good reason.

And there is no end to where you can have armed guards. As a matter of fact, a local mall where i am has both a local and State police office in it due to the number of fights that have occured there. The officers may not walk through the mall often, but you know they are there. When you come in one entrance, the Guilderland, NY police office is right there. And i believe that upstairs where the old movie theater is and the mall offices are located, that is where there is a small annex staffed with 1 or 2 State Police. I, for one, feel safer knowing they are there.
  • PatriotOne darkest... 2012/12/27 19:17:53
    PatriotOne
    "...all have armed guards and for good reason."

Can you name one 'good reason'? Please answer responsively.

I think they are there because they (GovCo) are conducting the greatest robbery upon mankind ever committed. Government is Al Capone and the "guards" are his hit-men.
  • wgossett99 darkest... 2012/12/27 20:55:49
    wgossett99
    You may feel safer but if some whacko pulls out a semi-automatic pistol and starts shooting, many people will be dead by the time an armed guard shows up.

However the same whacko would not be able to kill as many people if he were only armed with a knife or club.

As for office buildings, I was thinking about one like the one I am in right now. Six stories with numerous small and medium sized businesses. Maybe 250 people in the building at any time. Or strip malls. Or a McDonalds. Are you seriously advocating armed guards on all those buildings?
  • John 2012/12/27 15:50:06
    John
    +1
    Train the employees.
  • hiram John 2012/12/27 18:41:55
  • Darren 2012/12/27 15:37:27
  • darkest... Darren 2012/12/27 16:59:33
    darkest soul
    We could have gotten the idea without the swear words Darren. I'm not saying that i don't swear..lord knows when i get going i have the mouth of a drunken sailor!! lol But save it for other places...

So..anyway, with that being mentioned, i DO agree with you. There is no price tag on a childs life.

Try to do without telling people they are mentally retarded because they don't agree with what you have to say. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, thoughts, and feelings. It does not mean they are wrong or retarded or stupid. Please, don't berate people for expressing their opinions.
  • overdog001 2012/12/27 15:25:02 (edited)
    overdog001
    We had armed guards in my ghetto high school in the 70s. Some of them sold drugs.
  • hiram overdog001 2012/12/27 18:44:40
  • fluffy 2012/12/27 15:04:41
    fluffy
    +2
    I do not want a police state
  • jj.hantsch fluffy 2012/12/27 15:18:42
    jj.hantsch
    Then you are contributing to every last school shooting.
  • Metroid... jj.hantsch 2012/12/27 17:51:22
    MetroidJunkie2009
    Ohai, troll. Looking for some lulz? Too bad. =D
  • fluffy jj.hantsch 2013/01/31 05:37:20
    fluffy
    The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a a good guy with a gun or if the bad guy never had a gun also no chance of them killing anyone before a good guy pulled out theres
  • hiram fluffy 2012/12/27 18:44:22
  • fluffy hiram 2013/01/08 23:27:07
    fluffy
    We do to a point
  • hiram fluffy 2013/01/09 14:21:10
  • fluffy hiram 2013/01/31 05:19:16
    fluffy
    So how's having big brother watching you
  • PeaceDog 2012/12/27 14:36:25
    PeaceDog
    How about people spend time with their kids instead of propping them up in front of the tv with a video game and letting them learn their life lessons from that violence and the constant fear mongering propaganda on the television. He probably thought it was the end of the world, so what did it matter. All of these situations are people that are nuts and given pharmaceutical chemicals which make them lose touch with reality. What we need to do is get stricter laws against drug companies and doctors. Maybe if people started taking care of their kids instead of pawning the responsibility off, this problem would be solved. In actuality armed guards might be the only option otherwise. When I was a kid we were scared of the principal and the deans. My mother's constant reminder that they send bad kids away kept me in touch with reality. Keep kids off pharmaceutical drugs and don't let them learn the important things from lame television propaganda and violent video games. That is the solution. People need to get some responsibility and quit being a bunch of lala brained yuppie sissy wimps.
  • darkest... PeaceDog 2012/12/27 18:25:03
    darkest soul
    OMG... really?!!??! What do drug companies and doctors have to do with armed guards in schools? Did you ever stop to think that maybe a child who has a mental illness who is taken off his/her meds wouldn't be a danger to themselves and others? Those medications don't make them lose touch with reality. If anything, it keeps them in focus with what's going on. I have 2 boys who were ADHD when they were children. If it weren't for those meds, they would never have gotten through school.

But i will agree that parents need to start interacting with their children. They need to teach them respect, boundaries, and there needs to be discipline. But our society teaches us that if we discipline our children it is wrong and that it will result in a call to child services.

I don't think this would solve the whole problem as it is only a part of the issue. And the man who shot those firefighters in Webster, NY...he wasn't a child. He was in his 60's. So what's his excuse? We didn't treat children with psych meds back in those days. This was a man who killed his grandmother with a hammer 20 or so years ago. They let this psycho out of prison. That was the first mistake.

And so in lies another crux of the issue...our justice system. We treat criminals better than we treat the rest of the popula...

And so in lies another crux of the issue...our justice system. We treat criminals better than we treat the rest of the population. They are given free medical/psych care, food, medications, etc all on our dollar. Prisons have become nothing more than resorts. Hell, we have people starting businesses in the prisons!!!

As far as the end of the world thing goes... people just kept perpetuating the myth. Perhaps he did believe it was the end of the world. But somehow, i really don't think so.

Again, you are lumping a small minority of people into a sweeping generalization... to quote you... "All of these situations are people that are nuts". Is this your clinical observation or just a way to place blame for a sad situation in which we have no answers?
  • Mathmn darkest... 2012/12/27 21:10:12
    Mathmn
    We love prisons so much that we hand over the administration of them to "for profit" entrepreneurs. What is the incentive to keep citizens out of prison when the profit motive demands that more and more prisons be built to house more and more individuals. Carrying a stash of pot can land you in one of those money makers for years.
  • PeaceDog darkest... 2013/04/12 16:03:15
    PeaceDog
    Ok longwinded one. Have you ever seen the ads for the drugs? May cause suicidal thoughts? Every one of these whackos is on the pharma soup. They lose touch with reality and decide to off themselves and go out with a bang. The idiots hype it up on tv as a way to demonize guns and it makes nutcases decide that they want to be famous and take some people out when they go.

No, we didn't treat psychos with drugs back then, we put them in nuthouses. Now the drug lobbyists have convinced everyone to take a pill and most of the funding for psychiatric hospitals is gone. We need more money for bombs and embassies.

Yes, people kill with hammers. People kill with clubs. Whatever, people kill and thats the bottom line. Guns are inanimate objects.
  • PeaceDog darkest... 2013/04/12 16:05:02
    PeaceDog
    Oh yea... and try giving your kids vitamins. Just a suggestion.
  • Ian 2012/12/27 08:42:46
    Ian
    +2
    I'm from Malaysia. The word "amok" is one of the few words borrowed from Malay into English (as opposed to the hundreds of words borrowed from English into Malay.)

So, we know about people running amok here. But since usually all they're armed with is a machete, they only manage to kill or injure a small number of people before they're subdued.

The same thing happened in China the SAME DAY: some guy ran amok and attacked an elementary school. But China has gun control and all he had was a knife. He slashed over 20 children before being overpowered by teachers and police.

All the children survived.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/h...

It's almost identical a situation with Sandy Hook EXCEPT the Chinese man had no access to assault guns. All he could get a hold of was a knife.

However, I also do acknowledge that the mentally ill should be helped. See http://now.msn.com/i-am-adam-...

Mentally ill people who have proper treatment have become productive members of society. That's so much better an option.
  • darkest... Ian 2012/12/27 18:37:47
    darkest soul
    I really like your answer Ian. And to add a bit of levity to the situation, there is an old saying that goes "It is like bringing a knife to a gun fight!" lol

It seems to be, or appears to be, that the U.S. is, in a way, a backwards nation. Other countries have subsidized health care, strict gun control laws, higher education standards, etc. The U.S. needs to "get with the times" so to speak and start learning from these other countries. Maybe it's just not well-publicized, but I don't see things like this happen all that often in other countries. I know it DOES happen and WILL happen regardless of how much protection or laws we have in place. But maybe, if we had better educational standards, better health care and a better economy we would see less of this.

People can only take so much. That's why you see such high crime rates in inner cities. Our children see the drug dealers, pimps, and gangs riding around in expensive cars, wear designer clothes, and have money all the time and they see that as a way out. They join gangs because they feel accepted as family. I hear it so often on these shows about prisons. They are asked why they joined a gang. And time and again the answer is "because they're my family". And the violence associated with it is there way of getting what the...

People can only take so much. That's why you see such high crime rates in inner cities. Our children see the drug dealers, pimps, and gangs riding around in expensive cars, wear designer clothes, and have money all the time and they see that as a way out. They join gangs because they feel accepted as family. I hear it so often on these shows about prisons. They are asked why they joined a gang. And time and again the answer is "because they're my family". And the violence associated with it is there way of getting what they want..which is money and power.

This is not an excuse, merely an explanation. We need to "fix" societal standards. Make it so that ALL benefit, not just the rich. Stop making it so appealing to kids to become gangsters. To not make violence the answer.
  • Ian darkest... 2012/12/28 03:26:40
    Ian
    Mind you, I'm not USA-bashing. I think there're a lot of good things about USA as well.

For one thing, the response of the authorities to the Sandy Hook shooting was much better than the response in China.

For another thing, your First Amendment has some wonderful guarantee of rights that I would love to see in my country and most other countries in the world -- freedom of religion, freedom of the press, freedom of speech. Your constitution (notwithstanding the 4th Amendment, which even had a good and rational basis in its original context) is one of the best in the world. Your system of primaries, your separation of powers, these are all good things that I wish to see spread to other countries, including mine.
  • Corianne 2012/12/27 06:16:32
    Corianne
    Yes because kids and teens alike will feel safer knowing the have a gaurd watchinng over them.

2014/04/19 17:20:40