Young Lawyers Are Suing Their Law School: Whose Side Are You On?

How's this for irony: A group of 75 recent law school graduates from Brooklyn Law School are suing the establishment because they can't get jobs. They're saying that "attending Brooklyn Law and forking nearly $150,000 in tuition payments is a terrible investment" and attacking the school's advertised job placement rates. But if you think it's just about the money, you're wrong.

According to Business Insider, the lawsuit is aimed at organizations like the American Bar Association, which credits law schools, alleging that law schools are charging exorbitant amounts of money to essentially thrust new students into a flooded job market. They're suing for $200 million in damages for "fraud, negligent misrepresentation, and violations of business law." Now the world gets to see if they were paying attention in class.

• smitty 2012/02/17 16:42:26 (edited)
    The law school
    smitty
    +12
    Classic. Now this would make a great movie.

Now if we could just get the senators and house reps to sue their respective houses because they can't get sh!t done!

Hey can I sue my college because I no longer practice in the exact field I studied in? Woooooo!

Well I guess I may have to retract that. It looks like the students may have a case. Apparently the Law School was sued in 2011 for misrepresenting the facts and figures of graduates. Their incomes and job placement rates. These kids may actually have a suit. Not sure if 200 mill is the answer. Still if the school lied about its place % and the incomes of its grads there may be merit. I found that in less than 2 minutes. Sad if these young attorney couldn't have spent more time researching.

• BoredomCorner 2012/02/20 14:17:25
    The young lawyers
    BoredomCorner
    +1
    Frankly, I think schools should be A LOT more forthcoming, about job prospects. More than once I've taken college programs, being told that there was a lot of demand, and then getting NOWHERE.
  • Tasine 2012/02/20 13:55:09
    The young lawyers
    Tasine
    +4
    In my view they should be suing more than the college. They should be suing the NEA, their politicians, the media, all who constantly tout "college education a must" and "without a college degree you can't get work", etc. It's a fictitious idea dreamed up out of whole cloth and sold to businesses, government departments, school teachers, etc. It has been a great and grave disservice, it has driven up costs to consumers, but it has been a fantastic windfall for universities and their "professors", and I use that term loosely, VERY loosely.
  • zebsmom Tasine 2012/02/20 17:06:51
    zebsmom
    +1
    Thanks to the Clinton admin...the everyone has to go to college mind set. Not everyone is cut out for college, and it's a waste of everyone's time and money to funnel everyone that direction. We need the technical programs back in the high schools where they used to be. Nothing like supporting the bloated bureaucracy that is higher education.
  • Tasine zebsmom 2012/02/20 22:35:42
    Tasine
    +1
    Ditto every word!! Exactly so!
  • zebsmom Tasine 2012/02/22 16:10:08
    zebsmom
    I actually work in higher education. I still remember the quote "it is not our job to make sure people get jobs, it is our job to make sure they're successful in school." This was actually in reference to a student who had no business in college, let alone a nursing program, but it applies to this situation as well.
  • Tasine zebsmom 2012/02/22 16:39:33
    Tasine
    +1
    I taught nursing for 5 years in California at a community college and LOVED dealing with the students and the patients, but not all the foolishness that goes on. Some professions are not suitable for all students, and of all people, the teachers should be able to single out those who simply cannot fit into a profession. The state of California was proposing that the state nursing exams be available in Spanish as well as English. A group of us told the state we would not do it. Directions on medications are written in English, doctors' orders are written in English, everything they must deal with is in English, and WE NEED TO KNOW THEY CAN PROPERLY UNDERSTAND WHAT IS WRITTEN. We won that round, but I don't know what has happened there since then.
  • The Gov-Here to help BN362 2012/02/20 12:03:59
    The young lawyers
    The Gov-Here to help BN362
    +4
    Are a bunch of self-entitled fruitcakes.. The school never guaranteed them a job.. Give me a break

. Great... the next generation is a bunch of sniveling brats.. Hmmmmmm, there is a great quote I remember *taps forehead for a second... hold on let me find it,

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Yep, there it is.

at the core of liberalism is the spoiled child
  • Sionann The Gov... 2012/02/20 13:44:18
    Sionann
    +2
    awesome! love it!
  • zebsmom The Gov... 2012/02/20 17:07:13
    zebsmom
    +1
    Love it!
  • Soundstorm 2012/02/20 09:03:58
    The law school
    Soundstorm
    +4
    So the student has turned on the master. You have learned much grasshopper but you will regret your foolish choice. Now your true lesson begins!
  • Kat 2012/02/20 06:29:04 (edited)
    The law school
    Kat
    +2
    Imagine that, a law school being sued by recent graduates.

Only a lawyer would think it fair that comensation for $170,000 in tuition should equate to a multi-million judgement.
  • Meg 2012/02/20 04:23:38
    The young lawyers
    Meg
    +4
    This complaint has been made for years! Law School has quickly become one of the worst investments a person can make. New law schools are popping up constantly, yet there are literally NO jobs to be had. If a lawyer does not graduate from a top tier school, there is a VERY slim chance that he or she will find a job. Law Schools, encouraged by the Bar, have misrepresented their statistics. Privately, professors complain about this all the time. Schools claim that they have a 96% hire rate within 9 months, yet they use several sneaky tactics to fudge the numbers. Some schools even temporarily hire students for six weeks at the end of the nine months just to improve their rating. Why would they do this?? Simple, because their national rating is dependent, in part, on how many graduates enter the work force. Media sources that post the annual ratings are in a position to push for change. We should look to them for an answer.
  • richwright Meg 2012/02/20 05:07:23
    richwright
    +2
    If Judge Judy could make it than anyone can!
  • Meg richwright 2012/02/20 05:15:03
    Meg
    +1
    LOL...I can't argue with that!
  • zebsmom Meg 2012/02/20 17:07:56
    zebsmom
    Sounds like the private nursing schools...
  • Cora 2012/02/20 04:02:01
    The law school
    Cora
    +3
    As with any Education you received, the school is not responsible for getting you hired at any institution. There are so many recent and past graduates, and cannot find any jobs in their field of studies, Welcome to the real world. Keep looking and quit sulking, "Can't stop the rain by complaining."
  • Portholus 2012/02/20 03:05:05
    The young lawyers
    Portholus
    +2
    I have read articles on what the Law Schools are doing. The schools THEMSELVES have been known to hire students for part time jobs (and not as lawyers) just to claim that they had higher employment rates for graduates.

Granted NO college guarantees you a job but to inflate your statistics to make it look like more of your people are working in the legal profession as lawyers just to get students would be a form of fraud and it is time that the schools were penalized for this practice.

Not sure about the 200 million but at a minimum they should be reimbursed for what they spent on college to pay off loans.
  • Bill 2012/02/20 01:29:18
  • Griegg 2012/02/20 01:19:43 (edited)
    The law school
    Griegg
    +2
    Not being able to get a job isn't the school's fault. However, if the lawyers can prove fraud and misrepresentation they would be entitled to remedy.

I side with the school on their not being responsible for employment. I side with the lawyers in getting whatever remedy they are entited to.
  • abubincrazy 2012/02/20 00:53:30
    The young lawyers
    abubincrazy
    There are too many lawyers in America.
    However, law schools want a steady stream of tuition-payers.
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the figures were "enhanced".
    AND, these grads are doing the lawyerly thing:suing.
  • Andy 2012/02/19 23:31:25
  • richwright Andy 2012/02/20 05:09:01
    richwright
    what a deal!
  • Maci 2012/02/19 23:09:14
  • NatAlex23 2012/02/19 20:51:46
    The law school
    NatAlex23
    +4
    Did they promise you a job? Unless you went to a for-profit school (ITT Tech, DeVry, U Phoenix, etc) I doubt it. And I HIGHLY doubt any law school would be stupid enough to guarantee that.
    Yes, I'm in college. Yes, I have over $70,000 in loans as a junior with 2 scholarships and a grant. It's expensive beyond all hell. But, they told you up front what the cost would be. And you knew that there is a risk of not getting a job upon graduation form even the best school in the world.
  • Greg 2012/02/19 20:29:07
    The young lawyers
    Greg
    +2
    Gotta start suing somewhere, Get those frivolous lawsuits going.
  • violetgurl 2012/02/19 19:43:53
    The young lawyers
    violetgurl
    +1
    they have to use their skills somewhere especially if they cant get jobs…...
  • Tom 2012/02/19 19:33:17
    The law school
    Tom
  • Greenbay 2012/02/19 19:28:31
    The young lawyers
    Greenbay
    +1
    It is an actual reason to sue
  • NatAlex23 Greenbay 2012/02/19 20:53:01
    NatAlex23
    +1
    Nothing the school did was illegal, nor should it be illegal.
  • Greenbay NatAlex23 2012/02/19 23:59:24
    Greenbay
    +1
    False advertisement
  • mr kalada Greenbay 2012/02/20 06:19:50
    mr kalada
    +1
    misrepresentation too.
  • NatAlex23 Greenbay 2012/02/23 04:50:57
    NatAlex23
    Please tell me how showing job placement ratings is false advertisement. That's like saying people should sue casinos because they post the history of roulette landings over the past few hours.
  • kent 2012/02/19 19:22:40
    The law school
    kent
    +2
    So if they're successful wouldn't that set the school up to be able to counter sue based on the idea that they were sufficiently schooled to be successful at their business? Hmmmmm......... A market glut of lawyers? Maybe what's really needed is more ambulances, looks like the bottom feeding business needs shovels and new thinking on just where bottom actually is!
  • lil crazy 2012/02/19 19:18:33 (edited)
    The law school
    lil crazy
    +3
    A college is there to provide you an education. I would advise anyone who chooses to go to college to check into the field they wish to enter and the college they are considering because it is a lot of money to spend, but it isn't the colleges responsibility to find you a job. If it is a career college they do help you find a job but cannot just find one for you. If on the other hand they did not provide the education that was paid for then the students would have a case.
  • NatAlex23 lil crazy 2012/02/19 20:56:30
    NatAlex23
    +1
    Agreed. Most colleges have some sort of career center for their students and possibly alumni if you're lucky. But they only HELP you find a job. The only schools that guarantee a job, are the ones that have been sued multiple times by the government for scamming people into taking out loans that they didn't qualify for. And nobody gets a respectable job from those schools.
  • indiejen 2012/02/19 18:32:14
    The law school
    indiejen
    +3
    They chose the school-the school didn't choose them! I put myself through 5 years of college, didn't even take a Pell grant. No bridge cards or welfare for me. No one put a gun to their head and forced them to sign. Welcome to my world, the land of the grown-ups who have to pay their bills. Enjoy!
  • NatAlex23 indiejen 2012/02/19 21:00:01
    NatAlex23
    +3
    "They chose the school-the school didn't choose them!"

Actually, they chose each other. Every year millions of students looks at schools to apply to and the schools look at who they want to accept.

But you're right. I've got $70,000 in loans at the moment. They will increase to $100,000 when I leave (assuming I graduate on time). Do I plan on suing? NO. Because I made the overt choice to go to this school.
  • indiejen NatAlex23 2012/03/12 00:46:05 (edited)
    indiejen
    +1
    I hope your strength of character wins out-because you have plenty. Wish I could snatch you up and put you to work right now.Much luck to you.
  • NatAlex23 indiejen 2012/03/13 04:56:13
    NatAlex23
    +1
    Thank you. I just wish the employers I'm trying to get an internship with were willing to take a chance on me.
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/02/19 18:23:05

2014/08/02 02:25:59