You didn't build that? Internet edition

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2012/07/23 18:05:48
A week and a half ago, Obama said, "If you've got a business, you didn't build that; somebody else made that happen." That, in fact, was a government infrastructure.

Well, for Obama to claim that nobody gets anywhere without government help of some kind, is bad enough. (That the same help is available to all, but only some succeed, escaped his notice.)

But his claim that the government invented the Internet is demonstrably false.

L. Gordon Crovitz summed up the real history of the Internet. Other sources showed that the idea behind the Internet is as old as the Thirties. But the real point: most of the popular histories of the Internet ignore the role of specific companies that developed and/or popularized the technologies that make up the Internet.

Have a look at the linked article. Then ask yourself: did the government build the Internet from the bottom up, as Obama implied? Or is this just another Obama lie, on the order of Algore claiming personal credit for inventing the Internet?

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2012/07/23...

The Internet? No, Obama, you didn't build that! Neither did any government.
    +11
    The TCP/IP suite didn't make the Internet possible. Ethernet did. And Ethernet came from a private company, i.e., Xerox. And Ethernet was in use in certain private institutions before anyone heard of the Internet. (Example: The Johns Hopkins Hospital complex. I saw this first-hand in 1979 when I interviewed for admission to their School of Medicine.)

So: the Internet did get invented apart from the government. In fact, the private sector PUSHED the government, and didn't wait for it to act.

• VICTORIA Christo... 2012/08/08 04:17:40
    VICTORIA
    People that invented the Blackberry- (Not John McCain).

So who DID build the internet then?
  • Christo... VICTORIA 2012/08/08 04:35:52
    Christopher Kirchen
    +1
    No one person, or even one corporation.
  • VICTORIA Christo... 2012/08/08 04:37:57
    VICTORIA
    I guess you're not familiar with my reference.
    And, wrong.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/07/24 02:21:01
  • CHUCK 2012/07/24 02:00:18
    CHUCK
    +5
    DID NOT OBAMA BUILD SOLYNDRA WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS..
  • ★Calliope★ CHUCK 2012/07/24 02:38:03
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/24 01:58:00
  • D Hanes 2012/07/24 01:13:26
    D Hanes
    +8
    Obama does not build things.. he tears them down or causes them to be torn down.

Don't know where he got the idea that the government builds things for us.. they wait until we build it, make it successful.. then they tax us for having the brains to do that.

Something very wrong here.
  • dallas 2012/07/23 23:35:23
  • The Black Dagger 2012/07/23 23:18:12
    The Black Dagger
    +5
    It was started by the military. Then Telnet cam along and so forth, but it was AOL that helped it gain the popularity push.

As for the Liberals using the tired Lib-blog-journo spin argument about what Obama said, so as to try to keep your golden childs head above the voter waters:

You re gonna lose
  • ★Calliope★ The Bla... 2012/07/24 02:41:26
    ★Calliope★
    +2
    thank you!

I started in computers with the military in 1979.
  • Borat O... The Bla... 2012/07/24 04:18:52
    Borat Obama
    +2
    absolutely correct, That is my answer, The military personnel were sending informations through computers before it was called the internet. AOL used the same concept and improvised on it.
  • T A 2012/07/23 23:17:23
    T A
    +2
    Although I don't subscribe to that ridiculous notion, it's irrelevant. Though I don't vote, I'll let this guy tell you why. He's responding to Elizabeth Warren's statement that Obama plagiarized.

• ★Calliope★ T A 2012/07/24 02:43:38
    ★Calliope★
    +3
    Ron Paul is so right on with this.
  • T A ★Calliope★ 2012/07/24 05:35:15
    T A
    +2
    And yet it scares the sh*t out of people. It's rather depressing how well the propaganda works. As he says, "the failure is staring them in the face" and all the govt. has to do is point their finger at their cohorts to whom they give our money while saying "it was the free market that did it" and they keep right on going. How people in their right minds think that any of this could happen without the government coercion or that govt. actually protects their interests is beyond me. Except I have to remind myself that people are propagandized from 4-5 years old onward. Just like coke doesn't advertize that it rots your teeth, the government schools don't tell you how the government works.
  • ★Calliope★ T A 2012/07/25 01:18:32
    ★Calliope★
    +2
    Excellent points.
  • jcadla 2012/07/23 23:05:23
  • boss hawg 2012/07/23 21:39:23
    boss hawg
    al gore
  • Contarded Guru Chickenhawk 2012/07/23 21:38:24
  • T A Contard... 2012/07/23 23:26:47 (edited)
    T A
    +4
    It's irrelevant since the government doesn't build anything. It takes the fruits of an individual's labor by force (ex post facto slavery) and spends a portion paying itself and then spends what remains on whatever it deems fit. If you're lucky you may get some use of it. I not, too bad.

It's no different than robbing a hardware store register and then, if the owner is lucky the robber returns to buy some screws. And if the store owner is really lucky, the robber will use some of those screw to hang a fixture in the store.

Unlike the government I work for what I have. I don't rob my neighbors and then give a small portion to some charity so they won't starve until I rob them again next year. If I as an individual have no right to rob my neighbor than neither do those individuals who belong to a group called government.
  • ★Calliope★ T A 2012/07/24 02:45:45
    ★Calliope★
    +1
    Thank you for that wonderful answer.

Saved me from botching it.

You have more patience than I. I look at the hateful rhetoric he spews and tell him to F/O.
  • T A ★Calliope★ 2012/07/24 05:18:15
    T A
    +2
    I know how you feel. Thank you for the compliment. :0)

I should have had some fun with his use of the word jest.
  • ★Calliope★ T A 2012/07/25 01:19:04
    ★Calliope★
    Just .. well done!
  • Contard... T A 2012/07/24 11:42:32
  • ScottyG - Faqueue 2012/07/23 21:26:04
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +3
    ARPANET is the baby of the internet. And it came from DARPA.

These are the very same areas that Obama is cutting by half a trillion dollars.

Good luck with any future technology advances, Obummer. You just killed them.
  • Golden Panther 2012/07/23 21:26:02
    Golden Panther
    +2
    The government has contributed little other than getting us into trillions of dollars in debt, an ungrateful entitlement segment willing to vote Communist for their free stuff, and development of steep slope into Communism, Muslim, and racism....get old BO out of office ASAP
  • gtorborg77 2012/07/23 21:04:42
    Government built the Internet, all right, but that's bought and paid for, and...
    gtorborg77
    +4
    The internet was built as a Department of Defense project in the late 1960s. After the breakup of the Bell System in 1984, debate began about what to do with the infrastructure of this that was left behind. It took another 2 years, but it was finally decided to turn it over to what was then called the "baby bells," the various separate phone companies that were born from the breakup of Ma Bell. That's when the internet truly became something the average citizen could buy into, and the rest is history.

One of the reasons for all the BS regarding "Al Gore invented the internet" and similar idiocies is that the Senator that introduced the bill in 1986 that basically gave the internet to the baby bells was Al Gore. His justification for it, btw, was that it was "already bought and paid for". Thus, he didn't invent it... he SOLD it.
  • ★Calliope★ gtorborg77 2012/07/24 02:46:40
    ★Calliope★
    +1
    Brilliant!
  • Oaces_b... ★Calliope★ 2012/07/24 06:17:45
  • Incognito 2012/07/23 20:44:42
    Government did build the Internet, and we all should pay more on that account.
    Incognito
    +3
    Have you ever heard of DARPA?
  • ★Calliope★ Incognito 2012/07/24 02:47:46
    ★Calliope★
    I knew what it was but didn't remotely remember what the acronym stood for.
  • Incognito ★Calliope★ 2012/07/24 14:50:05
    Incognito
    +1
    Defense Advanced Research Projects agency. I believe the internet was originally developed to control nuclear weapons. The network could operate even under nuclear attack because signals could be sent to ballistic missile sites with rerouting capabilities. (or something like that)
  • ★Calliope★ Incognito 2012/07/25 01:20:12
    ★Calliope★
    +1
    Thank you. :)
    Bad memory, sometimes.
  • Ron in Oregon 2012/07/23 20:41:12
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
    Thanks for the clip on the man with the vision back in 1934.
    I knew about the Steve Jobs connection but I thought he only got the ikon idea from Zerox.
    I now also finally see why Bill Gates is such a liberal, with his former tie in with MSNBC, now NBC News.
    You probably have the info showing that television was developed before radio. I know it.
  • RJ~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/23 20:40:06
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    "Government" doesn't invent *anything*. Smart people invent things.

Whereas dumb people *talk* about things they know nothing about, and demonstrate that they're the jackasses everyone thought they were!
  • ★Calliope★ RJ~PWCM... 2012/07/24 02:48:24
    ★Calliope★
    +1
    Excellent comment.
  • V~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/23 20:39:27
    V~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    The Internet was "invented" as a joint DoD and NSF project. The goal was to build a network that could not be wiped out by attacking a central point of control. For this, we have the Cold War to thank. The Internet was one of the best government investments ever.

Most of the things we do today on the Internet were made possible by college professors and students. Some of their work (but not all of it) was government-funded. Notice how when the government invests appropriately, the private sector joins in the economy benefits. When the government throws money out the window, we all lose.

If all government spending worked out like the Internet, Obama's speeches would make a lot more sense. But for every dollar spent on something useful, we get several dollars of entitlement throwaways, bankrupt green energy companies, and pork barrel jokes like Murtha's airport in Pennsylvania. Not all government spending is equally helpful to the economy.
    +5
    It is a sad day in America when the government is stooping so low as not to honor the genius of the individual but to water down their accomplishments through the stench of socialism.
  • ★Calliope★ Mike 2012/07/24 02:49:36
    ★Calliope★
    +2
    This is 'post of the day' worthy.
  • Oaces_b... Mike 2012/07/24 06:19:23

2014/07/22 15:33:04