You are paying for their free phones

Cognito22 2012/07/07 16:45:29
Related Topics: Free
I knew that
That aint right
My brilliant comment

Check your phone bill.
See that line that says "Universal service fund"?

That's you paying . . . for free gubment give out of phones.

• Murph 65 2012/07/07 16:54:22
    I knew that
    Murph 65
    +10
    This one I know and am totally against. It may sound cruel but would use the same tack we have taken with our children and grandchildren here, and on a lot of things - I'm sorry, you're poor. Poor people don't have cell phones or comprehensive cell phone plans with unlimited calling, etc., new TV's, CD's, designer anything. Your dad and I, (granddad and I), have money, we can afford those things. You want them? Get a job and earn the money, do extra jobs around my house to earn the money, save from your babysitting or grass mowing or whatever job you can come up with and buy it yourself."
    So, for all those who have a cell phone that I helped pay for...find a job. Do not turn your nose up at honest work, whether you like that particular job or not. Use the pay phone on the corner or at your local Stop-N-Go to make calls. Until you can afford one on your own, you don't get to have one, period.

• pops 2012/07/24 05:51:10
    That aint right
    pops
    That's BS.
  • Flamingolady 2012/07/08 03:20:31
    I knew that
    Flamingolady
    +1
    Bo and his give aways to the do nothings. Shameful
  • Pm 2012/07/08 02:07:58
    I knew that
    Pm
    +1
    Its madness
  • MarinerFH 2012/07/08 01:25:41
  • BifDaddy 2012/07/08 00:08:57
    I knew that
    BifDaddy
    +1
    And there is just so much wrong with this I wouldn't know where to start.

Give them two tin cans and a string.
  • KarenInKenoshaWisconsin 2012/07/07 22:10:53
    My brilliant comment
    KarenInKenoshaWisconsin
    +2
    The LifeLine and Link-Up programs were established during Ronald Reagan's administration, by the FCC, and related discounts are not restricted to welfare recipients.
  • TheTruth1313 2012/07/07 21:44:57
    I knew that
    TheTruth1313
    +2
    Yet another way that we get stuck paying for the welfare class. It is well past time that the failed system get a major overhaul.
  • OneOfTheAmericanPeople 2012/07/07 21:02:56
    I knew that
    OneOfTheAmericanPeople
    +2
    And their Food and supplies, and KidS and coming soon to the taxpayers and hard workers check book THEIR HEALTH CARE!!!!!
  • charles_1 2012/07/07 20:01:37
    I knew that
    charles_1
    Makes me wanna go postal.
    I knew that
    +2
    INFURIATES me tremendously ..
    even at the worst of times ..
    I always scraped enough together to pay my own bills ..
    this amount .. and the rest of the 'fees/taxes' are high indeed ...
  • Kane Fernau 2012/07/07 18:30:58
    I knew that
    Kane Fernau
    +3
    If you get everything for free why work?
  • intolerantrwj 2012/07/07 18:26:10
    That aint right
    intolerantrwj
    +2
    ....... deduct the Fee, it's a " Contribution "

" Contributions ....

In the past, only long distance companies made contributions to support the federal Universal Service Fund. In 1996, the United States Congress passed the Telecommunications Act that expanded the types of companies contributing to the Universal Service Fund.

Currently, all telecommunications companies that provide service between states, including long distance companies, local telephone companies, wireless telephone companies, paging companies, and payphone providers, are required to contribute to the federal Universal Service Fund. Carriers providing international services also must contribute to the Universal Service Fund. Since an FCC order released in June 2006, providers of VoIP services are obligated to contribute as well.

Telecommunications companies pay contributions into one central fund. The USAC makes payments from this central fund to support the four Universal Service Fund programs. The FCC does not require companies to charge their customers for these contributions - this funding decision is left up to the individual companies.[17] " .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki...
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/07/07 18:06:53
    I knew that
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +4
    I've been aware of it for a long time, I deliver them. Originally, under Bush, they were intended for people who were shut in and didn't have a phone to have access to emergency services. Then, like everything else, it progressed to be anyone and everyone on the public dole. The fraud is rampant, I have people trying to get multiple phones by getting them delivered to vacant addresses or they tell me they "accidentally put the wrong numbers or a neighbors address" and could I be so kind as to delivery it to them at the right address.

Yeah, buddy, I'm stupid! I've even announced standing at the boxes that I will not deliver a phone to an incorrect address or name. Word spread very quickly! LOL!
  • Always Right 2012/07/07 18:02:51
    I knew that
    Always Right
    +4
    The hidden taxes in consumer goods. Another great government run program. Next it's your medical care.
  • Christy 2012/07/07 17:57:53
    I knew that
    Christy
    +1
    And that's not all it's used for.

"The goals of Universal Service, as mandated by the 1996 Act, are to:

Promote the availability of quality services at just, reasonable and affordable rates for all consumers Increase nationwide access to advanced telecommunications services
    Advance the availability of such services to all consumers, including those in low income, rural, insular, and high cost areas at rates that are reasonably comparable to those charged in urban areas Increase access to telecommunications and advanced services in schools, libraries and rural health care facilities Provide equitable and non-discriminatory contributions from all providers of telecommunications services to the fund supporting universal service programs The Commission established four programs to fulfill these goals. They are:

The High-Cost program
    The Lifeline (low income) program, including initiatives for Native Americans
    The Schools and Libraries program, commonly referred to as E-rate
    The Rural Health Care program

These programs are funded by the Universal Service Fund. Telecommunications providers must contribute to the fund through an assessment on their interstate and international revenues. The Commission appointed the Universal Service Administrative Company, or USAC, to administ...

And that's not all it's used for.

The High-Cost program
    The Rural Health Care program

These programs are funded by the Universal Service Fund. Telecommunications providers must contribute to the fund through an assessment on their interstate and international revenues. The Commission appointed the Universal Service Administrative Company, or USAC, to administer the four programs and the Universal Service Fund."

http://transition.fcc.gov/wcb...
  • Southern Man 2012/07/07 17:47:09
    My brilliant comment
    Southern Man
    +1
    It's not that letting people have free cell phones that is not the problem it's the abuse of the program ... I see homeless people with cell phones in fact I see people on food stamps that have cell phones that cost 4 and 5 hundred dollars I work for a living my phone is a smart phone it has all the bells and whistles but I pay full price for that phone ... You want homeless and welfare recipients to have phones that's cool ... What they need to do is Gard the system better it is so easy to screw the government and this video proves that
  • Diane Spraggs Yates 2012/07/07 17:41:30
    I knew that
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +4
    "Universal service fund"?
    250 mins a month
  • Gracie ... Diane S... 2012/07/07 18:08:19
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    They can buy more minutes also. They usually try and get a couple of them so they can have more minutes.
  • Nika 2012/07/07 17:24:55
    That aint right
    Nika
    +4
    Good thing I don't live in America. Didn't hear about such a thing in Poland. Yet.
  • JT For Political Reform 2012/07/07 17:16:47
    I knew that
    JT For Political Reform
    +6
    Typical leftist give-away program to brainwash the ignorant, the lazy and the malcontents to vote for them.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/07/07 17:11:12
    I knew that
    Rebel Yell
    +3
    In the 90′s, the federal government set up this program, Lifeline Phone Service Program via a mandate by the FCC. The Bush admin added phones.

Why free phones? The reasoning is an employer can more easily reach you with a job offer if you have a free government cell phone. You can you stay in touch with your doctor and other emergency medical professionals with a free cell phone. You can report a crime. A free government cell phone can help you keep in touch with family and other loved ones.

No doubt all of that is true, but how many people use their 250 free minutes to contact their drug dealer is another question unanswered.
  • Cognito22 Rebel Yell 2012/07/07 17:14:04
    Cognito22
    +4
    As the video says, original legislation was for land lines . . . not wireless (cell) phones.
  • I knew that
    Jersey Roze ♥Jwon's Cyar'ika ♥
    +5
    I am aware of this...
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2012/07/07 17:06:05
    That aint right
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +4
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2012/07/07 17:04:02
    I knew that
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +6
    I knew that..... the program was set up, I think, to provide cell phones to the unemployed entitlement mentality welfare recipients so they could use it (the cell phone) to help
    them get a job.

cant stio laughing cat

Hate to be such a skepic......

new  perspective cat
  • Murph 65 2012/07/07 16:54:22
    I knew that
    Murph 65
    +10
  • FeedFwd... Murph 65 2012/07/07 17:13:35
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +5
    Deserves multiple raves!!!! We try to do the same with our kids, but occasionally we are a soft touch. That should be recognized as charity and some gratitude is in order. Ever gotten any gratitude from these entitlement mentality types? I'll bet not. Well charity is, or should be, given without expectation of anything in return. So on we go.

Sadly, it looks like our government, in its infinite wisdom, is making it harder for kids to earn a buck. Lemonade stands are out. Delivering newspapers has become an adult business and there are fewer and fewer papers to deliver, anyway. It is even hard for kids to compete for lawn mowing with the big landscape companies employing illegal aliens. And you can't get a real job until you are 16 and then minimum wage laws may make it hard for somebody to hire kids unless they are doing it for the goodwill.
  • Murph 65 FeedFwd... 2012/07/07 17:49:21
    Murph 65
    +3
    I still don't get the deal on the lemonade stands - does no one have any common sense any longer? There is a difference between a couple of kids spending a couple of hours trying to get 50 cents a glass for tacky, homemade lemonade on Saturday afternoon and those who have sort of a permanent lemonade-selling structure. Geesh, it's hard not to stay completely ticked off these days.
    You and yours deserve multiple raves as well. The thing about being a soft touch is that we could be soft touches when we wanted to be, and our choice was usually after some greater than expected behavior, grades, something, by our kids. And, yes, you should do charity without expecting anything in return. However, being parents here, our kids quickly learned that if there wasn't some sort of heartfelt thank you attached to whatever gracious benefit we granted them, the benefits became long and far in between. I LOVE THE POWER OF BEING A PARENT. One of the many talks my boys and I had, which they hated, and which I then had with my grandchildren, and they, too, hated it. But wish I could be a fly on a wall someday when little whozit is getting the same chat from his mom or dad - "I'm the parent, I have the power. You want the power, finish school, get a job, get your place to live an...

You and yours deserve multiple raves as well. The thing about being a soft touch is that we could be soft touches when we wanted to be, and our choice was usually after some greater than expected behavior, grades, something, by our kids. And, yes, you should do charity without expecting anything in return. However, being parents here, our kids quickly learned that if there wasn't some sort of heartfelt thank you attached to whatever gracious benefit we granted them, the benefits became long and far in between. I LOVE THE POWER OF BEING A PARENT. One of the many talks my boys and I had, which they hated, and which I then had with my grandchildren, and they, too, hated it. But wish I could be a fly on a wall someday when little whozit is getting the same chat from his mom or dad - "I'm the parent, I have the power. You want the power, finish school, get a job, get your place to live and go be as powerful as you wish." It was fun, can't help it, it was.
    I can't think of much, if anything, that the government sticks its nose in that does not become worse rapidly. I think most problems would just work themselves out some way, some how by we out here in the hinterlands dealing with them as opposed to those in DC. However, those in DC have to keep sticking their noses in to warrant our sending them to DC and their being able to stay for 10 or 11 months out of a year in DC. TERM LIMITS, term limits - time to get back to "gentlemen farmer" type politicians, come for a while and then go home and work and live with what you have wrought.
    Sorry, I got a bit on the verbose side today.
  • FeedFwd... Murph 65 2012/07/07 17:55:05
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +3
    No need to apologize. We are in complete agreeement it seems! ;)

2014/12/19 00:37:43