Would Zimmerman have had a license to carry a gun if his father wasn't a judge?

Tea in the Harbor 2012/03/27 23:42:30
Convicted felons can't own firearms, neither can those convicted of domestic violence. Zimmerman has both in his history. It looks like maybe George's dad has a little problem he needs to address. That's why the picture we see of him on the news has him ion jailhouse orange. Conservatives are whining that Treyvon had been caught with pot, insinuating that it made shooting him acceptable. Where does that place Zimmerman with his long violent record?

Here's the story.

George Zimmerman, Son of a Retired Judge, Has 3 Closed Arrests

11:25 AM EDT 3/27/2012 by Danielle Canada

Did George Zimmerman have help from his father, a retired judge, in clearing his name in three separate arrests?

That’s the question that’s being asked now that more information on Trayvon Martin’s 28-year-old killer is being revealed. Robert Zimmerman, a former Orange County magistrate judge, recently wrote a letter to The Orlando Sentinel
defending his son, who’s been dragged through the mud for shooting the
unarmed 17-year-old last month. In the letter, the senior Zimmerman asks
people not to jump to conclusions and insists that his son didn’t
follow the young boy home as he walked through their gated community.

“He would be the last to discriminate for any reason whatsoever. The
media portrayal of George as a racist could not be further from the
truth. At no time did George follow or confront Mr. Martin. When the
true details of the event became public, and I hope that will be soon,
everyone should be outraged by the treatment of George Zimmerman in the
media,” wrote Robert Zimmerman.

Now more info is being dug up on his “victimized” son through public records and revealing his checkered past.

According to a records search on George, he was previously arrested
for domestic violence, resisting an officer without violence and most
shockingly, resisting an officer with violence — a felony charge that surely could have landed him in prison.

All three of those arrests, however, were mysteriously closed with no
semblance of charges for the Florida resident. So how was someone with a
violent past including that of battery against an officer able to carry
a 9 mm handgun? Maybe that’s a question Robert Zimmerman should answer …

George Zimmerman had felony assault on police officer charge in ’05 & 2 domestic assaults

Last edited Sat Mar 24, 2012, 09:48 AM USA/ET – Edit history (2)

From the Orange County, FL Circuit Court Clerk of the Court Records page: [link to myclerk.myorangeclerk.com]

Record Count: 4

Search By: Party Exact Name: on Party Search Mode: Name Last Name:
Zimmerman First Name: George Case Status: Closed Date Filed On or After:
01/01/2005 Date Filed On or Before: 01/01/2006 Sort By: Filed Date

Case Number Citation Number Style/Defendant Info Filed/Location/Judicial Officer Type/Status Charge(s)

2005-CF-009525-A-O

ZIMMERMAN, GEORGE MICHAEL

10/05/1983

07/18/2005

Div 10

OKane, Julie H

Criminal Felony

Closed

CR-RESISTING OFFICER WITH VIOLENCE

BATTERY ON LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER

2005-MM-010436-A-O

ZIMMERMAN, GEORGE MICHAEL

10/05/1983

07/18/2005

Orlando

Miller, W Michael

Misdemeanor

Closed

CR-RESISTING OFFICER WITHOUT VIOLENCE

2005-DR-012980-O

ZUAZO, VERONICA vs. ZIMMERMAN, GEORGE M

08/09/2005

Div 44

44, TBA

Domestic Violence

Closed – SRS

2005-DR-013069-O

ZIMMERMAN, GEORGE M vs. ZUAZO, VERONICA A

08/10/2005

Div 46

White, Keith F

Domestic Violence

Closed – SRS

• Piper 2012/03/28 02:27:14
    Piper
    +11
    Yes. I had already found Zimmerman's criminal record of violence, but this isn't important to those who want to crucify a dead 17yr old, who had no criminal record of violence, or any criminal record at all.

• HAlex1972 2012/04/29 00:34:21
    HAlex1972
    I'm sick of gun laws and I'm sick of the Zimmerman/Martin case.
  • Eddie 2012/04/11 13:30:51
    Eddie
    +1
    Interesting. Seriously though, if you dig hard enough you can find something on just about anybody. Not defending the guy here. But you can pull a domestic violence charge for just about anything these days if someone wants to push it. Still you'd yhink he would have had to answer charges in court once in a while. Kinda sounds like someone was running interference doesn't it?
  • redneck 2012/04/11 05:30:17
    redneck
    Florida has more problems than that,the racist are goting to riot and send blood through the streets.Where the hell is holder ???Arrest the racist scumbags.
  • nicwillams 2012/04/05 04:28:38
  • pa mopar nicwillams 2013/07/11 19:03:42
    pa mopar
    +2
    Then the black 19 year old who killed my brother then went to his house and bragged about killing a white boy to his girlfriend should also have the death penalty.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/03/29 20:49:06
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    As near as I can tell there is an ongoing investigation. Thank You for the information. I hope the DA there gets a little more involved at this time.
  • M'lud 2012/03/29 13:52:25
    M'lud
    Faulty premise, Tea. I can find no convictions on Zimmerman's record. While his actions in this case have yet to be adjudicated, his non-record is not relevant here, just as Trayvon Martin's school discipline record is not relevant. I don't KNOW what all the facts of this tragedy are, yet, but I believe they will eventually come out. More information is being released daily. In the meantime, I wish the cable news networks would shut up, I wish the friends, families and lawyers would stay off the air, I wish newspapers would stop publishing rumors and innuendo, and I wish people would stop drawing conclusions from a position of ignorance.
  • Tea in ... M'lud 2012/03/30 17:52:06
    Tea in the Harbor
    It's not a faulty premise to ask if his father being a judge is the reason he has been charged three times with violent crimes and has no convictions. He went to anger management classes to have the resisting with violence charge dropped, but there are still two domestic violence charges. Do you think someone who didn't have a judge for a father would get off on those charges twice?

I don't think so. I think we have a priviledged kid whose father got him out of everything he's dpne so far and whom the prosecutor intended to allow to get away with this too if there hadn't been public scrutiny. Getting a pass on one violent charge might be appropriate under some circumstances, getting a pass on three violent charges is not. He's getting special treatment for some reason, and the most likely reason is his father's position.

Had he been convicted in any of those three charges, he could not have gotten a conceal/carry permit so if his father has been providing him with cover he also has some responsibility here. I doubt that he has any culpability under the law, but he definately has a moral responsibility.
  • M'lud Tea in ... 2012/04/02 16:15:25
    M'lud
    Don't confuse and conflate morality with law. Your question is worded such that the implication is Zimmerman should have been prevented from carrying a concealed weapon. I am not saying he should have been allowed to carry a concealed weapon. I am saying there was no legal reason he should not. Here in Florida, we have some of the most ignorant gun laws in the nation because we have some of the most ignorant legislators in the nation. As with all republican dominated legislatures, rather than govern through educated decision making to benefit the people, they rule through fear and marketing to increase their own power and wealth. We need to keep up the good fight, but don't expect intelligence from our justice system.
    BTW, I think it would be a very close contest for MOST CORRUPT GOVERNOR between your Scott and our Scott!
  • Sean Ra... M'lud 2012/04/11 00:52:41
    Sean Rafferty
    +4
    Your RTC laws have saved countless lives. I did my grad school thesis on RTC laws and I used Florida as one of my models. Less than a fraction of a percent of all permits are revoked. Most citizens carry in a responsible way, and those that do not should lose the right. I have every right to protect myself and my family. The police do not even have to come when you call. Their duty is to protect society as a whole, not an individual. The SCOTUS has come to this conclusion twice. Dr. Gary Kleck, a democrat I might add did a study on concealed carry, and the results show that people defend themselves with a firearm almost 2 million times a year. In many cases a shot is never even fired. So, if you don't like guns then don't carry one. However, leave my rights alone. Additionally, I've worked in law enforcment for over 23 years and most cops really are pro-gun.
  • Tea in ... Sean Ra... 2012/04/11 14:58:50
    Tea in the Harbor
    The right to carry a weapon and the stand your ground laws are two entirely seperate issues. The right to carry a weapon deals with a physical fact, can you carry the gun or not.

The stand your ground laws allow personal fear to justify what may well be an act of murder. Someone suffering from paranoia may well fear everyone and everything they encounter on the street, so if their fear is the threshold they are entitled under the law to kill anyone they want. It's the "presumption of reasonable fear" in the law that makes it a license to kill, and that's the only change the law makes. Self defense has always been an acceptable defense for using lethal force in every state in the country, but until these laws came along there was a standard of evidence applied to invoke it's use.

Under the new laws cops have to prove that the shooting was unjustified to investigate it, and they have to investigate to prove whether the shooting was reasonable or not. It puts police and prosecutors in a catch 22 where the letter of the law over-rides the dictates of reason.
  • Sean Ra... Tea in ... 2012/04/11 00:42:08
    Sean Rafferty
    +2
    What violent crimes? Most states offer an alternative program for minor first time offenses. I doubt the father even involved himself in these minor issues..
  • Tea in ... Sean Ra... 2012/04/11 15:01:58
    Tea in the Harbor
    You claim to have worked in law enforcement and you consider resisting arrest with violence a "minor issue?"

And you also consider repeated domestic violence, which is the leading cause of murder in the United States, a "minor issue?"

How am I supposed to consider you credible when you make statements like that?
  • S. Gompers 2012/03/29 04:11:29
    S. Gompers
    +1
    Probably not, but we do have the best government money can buy...
  • Stan Kapusta 2012/03/29 01:22:18
    Stan Kapusta
    +1
    The question here is why did Zimmerman shoot Martin.
  • Tea in ... Stan Ka... 2012/03/30 18:04:47
    Tea in the Harbor
    Yes it is, when I posted this there had been several polls posted attacking Treyvon's character for having a couple minor problems at school. I put this up to balance things, to show people that Zimmerman is no angel either.

Treyvon got caught with a little pot in High School, this guy has beat up his girlfriend twice and a cop once and nobody was mentioning it. That wasn't fair.

What we need is a full investigation and whatever charges the facts from it justify, but people ripping into a dead kid to protect what appears to have been an armed attacker kind of pissed me off so I posted the facts I knew to give at least a little balance.
  • Hank 2012/03/28 23:37:38
    Hank
    +1
    Do not have access to Zimmerman's criminal record. If he does in fact have a valid concealed carry permit he can NOT have a felony conviction, key word conviction. He can not have a misdemeanor conviction where domestic violence is the charge. I would wager the court records will reflect adjudication of guilt was withheld in the cases you have listed and the felony resisting charge was reduced to a misdemeanor and more than likely adjudication of guilt was withheld. Just an educated guess.
  • Tea in ... Hank 2012/03/30 18:17:29
    Tea in the Harbor
    He doesn't have a conviction, but he does have multiple violent charges that seem to have myseriosly dissappeared, and a father who is a judge. That doesn't smell right, just like a dead kid with no charges because the lead investigator got "over-ruled" by the prosecutors when he wanted to file charges doesn't smell right. It smells like the prosecutor is in the habit of protecting George.

Zimmerman's claim that he was being attacked by a kid 100 lbs lighter than him while he was pursuing the kid with a loaded weapon doesn't smell right either, especially when police video of him 30 minutes later show no evidence of injury.

I'm asking questions here, not drawing conclusions, but they seem to me like questions that are far more relevant than Treyvon havin an empty pot baggy in his locker.
  • DiViews2014 2012/03/28 22:36:17
    DiViews2014
    +2
    I believe he let everybody know that his father was Judge Zimmerman. No, I do not believe he should have been given a carry permit. He is a wannabe cop with a dull intellect.
  • Think Free 2012/03/28 19:25:40
    Think Free
    +1
    Does anyone know how this Zimmerman made a living, able to live in a gated community?
  • Sheila 2012/03/28 19:07:42
  • Peace 2012/03/28 17:12:35
    Peace
    +1
    Warning. America is trying to start a race war. The question to ask is.... " Do blacks need the Whiteman?" Example: If a Pimp kill one of his hoes. What will the other hoes do? Cry, complain, one hoe may even kill that Pimp. At the end of the day. Them hoes will be looking for a Pimp to be productive for.

Next question do whites need the blackfamily? Black people are Original people. Original people make 41/2 Billion $ a year. We spend back 4 Billion to corperate america. Imagine the fall America will take after being short 4 Billion $. She will die a quick death in 30 days.

Original people dont need the whiteman or his crooked system. Seperation is the only way to keep our babies safe. Rest in Peace brotha Travon. Peace & Blessings to you all....
  • Tea in ... Peace 2012/03/28 17:32:27
    Tea in the Harbor
    +3
    Bigotry is equally offensive to me from either side. So is a Dark Age acceptance of violence as a means of control.

The world would be a better place if we used statements like yours, from either side, as a universal instruction to ignore their authors.
  • Ejayt7 Peace 2012/03/29 01:31:22 (edited)
    Ejayt7
    AND so, you are most differently black with a Sharpton and Jackson's premise. You ate too much green eggs and ham, right! Green eggs and Ham  gif
  • Live Free Or Die 2012/03/28 16:14:37
    Live Free Or Die
    +2
    Oh this is a shame. If the law had been followed, Zimmerman would not have had a gun and Travyon Martin would still be alive today.
  • Tea in ... Live Fr... 2012/03/28 16:23:55
    Tea in the Harbor
    +1
    It certainly looks like Daddy being a Judge served him well, but the evidence is circumstantial. We need a full public investigation that follows the facts wherever they go.
  • Live Fr... Tea in ... 2012/03/28 16:57:27
    Live Free Or Die
    +1
    I strongly believe he said "f'in coons" on the 9-11 tape, but will the feds agree and will the judge and jury agree? If they do, I hope they corroborate the past 9-11 calls in which he complained about suspicious black males (none apprehended that I know of).

It angers me because I don't think it should even have to go federal. They need to get right down to what happened that night, chronologically, all phone calls and witnesses and any other evidence. To my knowledge, they did not take his gun, but on this I'm not sure. I hope they did. His father has actually done him no favors protecting him. Had he not protected him, maybe he would not have had a gun and killed this young man.
  • Tea in ... Live Fr... 2012/03/28 17:05:54
    Tea in the Harbor
    +3
    Florida has apparently exited the free world. They have outlawed voter registration drives, mandated drug tests for the poor while guaranteeing the Governor's wife millions in profit, and passed the worst laws ALEC and the Teabaggers had to offer.

I wouldn't trust an investiagation from there without very strong coroberating evidence.
  • Live Fr... Tea in ... 2012/03/28 17:22:48
    Live Free Or Die
    +2
    I see your point about that state. I don't trust them at all either.

One of my oldest and best friends from grade school lives there and is for the drug testing. I simply cannot talk to her about it or anything else going on there, as I'm positive she doesn't want to hear it.

The people wanted those corrupt laws and decided long ago that fairness for anyone else besides their own small interests did not matter. They only have themselves to blame now that there's nothing they can do about it.

I still feel bad for Trayvon and his family though. It would kill me inside.
  • Live Fr... Tea in ... 2012/03/28 17:26:29
    Live Free Or Die
    +2
    But from a personal perspective, it's upsetting that America has become this way.

What the hell happened?
  • Tea in ... Live Fr... 2012/03/28 17:36:28
    Tea in the Harbor
    +1
    The religious right.

When a group becomes convinced that they are doing God's work, any wrong can be justified as the "mysterious way" in which he works. When you represent the master of the universe, the rights of humans become disposable.
  • Live Fr... Tea in ... 2012/03/28 18:07:47
    Live Free Or Die
    +1
    That's terrible......

Hey I just heard on the news that on the night of the shooting the lead investigator filed an affidavit that there should have been manslaughter charges filed. There may be hope yet.
  • Maynard 2012/03/28 12:59:08
    Maynard
    +1
    Typical liberals, one set of LAWS for society, another for the lib and their family.

HANG THEM BOTH IF TRUE.

FALSE INFORMATION in the story that NEEDS CORRECTION.

No Republicans are running around claiming the shooting is justified because of POT, only PATHETIC WHITE LIBERALS making the false claim, Black people are SMARTER THAN THAT.
  • Tea in ... Maynard 2012/03/28 16:43:28 (edited)
    Tea in the Harbor
    +2
    Liberals have hardly even mentioned this aspect of the case, the only reason I posted this was to bring some balance to the series of slanderous posts about Treyvon I've seen published here in the last few days.

The lust to celebrate the death of a child I've seen on these pages is yet more evidence that the right has no ability to display dignity or grace, no interest in what is real over their political cult doctrine. I'm surprised they haven't chartered busses to go group urinate on the kid's grave, maybe they have but in private groups.

The information in the story comes from court records, he's been arrested for three crimes, each of which would disqualify him from gun ownership even in states with the stand your ground law because of their violent nature, been found innocent of none, and now he's killed a child.

That's a failure of the system in my opinion, Perhaps dead children don't indicate anything wrong to you, but a lot of people seem to disagree.
  • Aksana 2012/03/28 12:52:10
    Aksana
    yeah, l guess so
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/03/28 06:45:01
    nothingbutthetruth
    Oh, really? No wonder Zimmerman thinks he has the right to shoot somebody because his father is Judge. Well I hope his son would be the first one he passes good judgement on!
  • wtxwoman 2012/03/28 06:18:59
    wtxwoman
    +3
    Well, now, that clears up a lot of questions. So, the cops was taking care of a judge's kid. Wonderful! Corrupt cops, corrupt courts, and corrupt people. No wonder he walked after murdering that boy.
  • mich52 2012/03/28 06:05:38
  • kobidobidog 2012/03/28 05:42:03 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    +1
    Get off of it why don't you. Meditating on this will only harden a heart to want to kill. Obsessing on it will cause a human to act impulsively letting rational thought go out the window to do a thing he would later regret. Behold Jesus, and Behold forgiving love that will save your soul. Look beyond this life. Save your soul. Warmongers chronically kill their soul. That breaks the heart of Jesus.
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2012/03/28 05:08:19 (edited)
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +5
    Recorded By Police Dispatch
    (edited for spelling only)

(1) The police dispatcher tells Zimmerman not to follow the teen.

(2) The Police dispatcher asks if he is still following the teenager. He says Yes.

(3) You can hear Zimmerman starting to run after the teen on the dispatch recording.

A neighborhood WATCH is to WATCH and report to police what you see so they can handle it.

This guy wanted to play cop without training or a badge.

Now it has been revealed that the lead officer in the case wanted to charge Zimmerman with murder. But Sanford, Fla., Investigator Chris Serino was instructed to not press charges against Zimmerman because the state attorney's office headed by Norman Wolfinger told him not to. But the lead officer wrote an affidavit or sworn statement and submitted it anyway that he felt Zimmerman should be charged with murder. He was taken off the case. Officers don't submitt a report when they are told not to (especailly a sworn statement) unless they want to cover themselves because they feel a crime has been committed.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/tray...

2014/10/30 16:12:13