Would You Vote for Sarah Palin?

Anthony W. Leone 2010/09/25 00:00:00
Yes, she has to be better than President Obama.
No way! Let’s stick with someone with experience.

OPINION RIGHT > Vote For Sarah Palin For President?

Sarah Palin said that she is ready to “offer myself up in the name of service to the public” and run for president. Wow, like we didn’t know that all ready.

“A reason to run is if nobody else were to step up with the solutions that are needed to get the economy back on the right track and to be so committed to our national security that they are going to do all that they can including fighting those on the extreme left who seem to want to dismantle some of our national security tools that we have in place. If nobody else wanted to step up, Greta, I would offer myself up in the name of service to the public,” the former vice presidential candidate told Fox News's Greta Van Susteren, reported The Huffington Post.

Gee, you think? Any political junkie saw this from a mile away when Palin said she wasn’t going to run for reelection back in July 2009 and that she would resign as governor of Alaska.

Palin knew exactly what she was doing when she resigned and decided to see the country and create a strong group of followers. And now Palin is the Tea Party’s darling, she’s basically the mascot for FOX News, and she toured the country when she was peddling her book, “Going Rogue: An American Life.”

So since day one she knew what she was doing. She created a powerbase and has a lot of supporters. In fact, many candidates want Palin’s support and it has helped them. She has grown politically powerful to the point that it will benefit her once she does officially throw her hat in the race, no matter how many hints she has dropped in the past.

And you just know that she wants to tell everyone. She's like a little kid with the best secret in the world but she can't tell anyone about it.

However, while many love Palin, others do see her as an inexperienced joke. And that will hurt her. What is also going to hurt, and in a way help her, is that while President Obama’s approval numbers are down, people still love him and the only guess is because they see him as a celebrity. They love it when he goes on “The View” or some other show.

And that’s the wrong public image we should have for any president. He should be placed on a much more worthy pedestal, not the same kind of cheap glamour one that society has placed Snarooki on. (Or is it Snooki?)

However, some may come — or already have — to see Palin in the same Tinseltown spotlight as others see President Obama and it may help her greatly.

But do we really need that? The presidential elections shouldn’t be an episode of “American Idol.”

But maybe the candidates do it to themselves too. After all, Palin knows full well she’s going to run in 2012, but she’s milking it for all that its worth, even if it means she has to replace her daughter on “Dancing With The Stars” to do it.

Anthony Leone is a political columnist who has an extensive background in journalism, from newspapers to magazines to news sites and blogs.

• Harry 2011/04/05 06:27:56
    Harry
    +1
    We have now reached the nadir of executive leadership. So what do we have to fear from what her leadership might bring compared to what we face now? Nothing.
  • Ron 2011/01/28 17:49:57
    Ron
    +1
    Obama had no experience either, but there he is! Palin couldn't be any worse and chances are she would be a lot better! I am still looking for an ideal person to be president. I probably will never find him/her!
  • leth 2010/10/28 01:18:41
    leth
    i think yes coz she give her best to be a good government...
  • Bureauc 0Blunder 2010/10/16 03:08:49
    Bureauc 0Blunder
    +2
    Of coarse running the country is infinitely more complex than running Alaska but based on what Palin did vs what Øbama has done, I would vote for Palin over Øbama in any situation. Øbama is the essence of incompetence. The fact that NO democrat is running on the fact that they voted for Øbama's agenda is proof.
  • Anthony... Bureauc... 2010/10/18 14:42:00
    Anthony W. Leone
    Let's put it this way:

People voted for Palin to lead them while she was running for governor.

While running for Senate, the people voted for Obama to represent them.

Two very different things, as I'm sure you will agree.
  • Bureauc... Anthony... 2010/10/19 04:20:40
    Bureauc 0Blunder
    ''lead them while she was running for governor'' OK, I think I know what you meant- People voted for her to run the State.
    In the case of Øbama they voted for him to represent them, little did they know while in the Illinois senate he would vote 'present' 130 times. You have to agree, they didn't get much representation.

While in the US Senate Øbama voted for TARP, against the surge and ran for president.
    After only 143 days of work experience, Obama believed he was ready to be Commander In Chief, Leader of the Free World, and fill the shoes of Abraham Lincoln, Truman, JFK and Ronald Reagan. I don't think the people got much representation beyond that point from Øbama the campaigner.
  • luvguins 2010/10/08 04:15:24
    luvguins
    The wingnut from Wasilla gets my NO vote. NO WAY!
  • Matthew Schools America 2010/10/05 00:06:05
  • bob 2010/10/03 04:47:55
    bob
    +1
    YES SHE WAS A GOOD GOVERNOR IN ALASKA AND thought she stepped down early after repeated attacks on her family she left the state with a BUDGET SURPLUS SOMETHING HUSSEIN COULD NOT EVEN SPELL
  • dlsofsetx 2010/09/30 22:06:04
    dlsofsetx
    +1
    She has as much,if not more experience than Obama.
  • Giantfan dlsofsetx 2010/10/04 15:01:33
    Giantfan
    +3
    You're delusional..
  • dlsofsetx Giantfan 2010/10/04 21:10:25
    dlsofsetx
    +1
    Obama never had any executive experience & served four years as a rather insignificant Senator.Sarah Paklin was mayor of her hometown & Governor of a State whose territory is greater than the next three States,i.e.,Texas,California,... Montana combined.Obama has proven himself totally incompetant.
  • Giantfan dlsofsetx 2010/10/04 23:23:41
    Giantfan
    +3
    Be serious. Our, my hometown was the same size as Wasilla as of 2000 it had 5,469 people. We get more people then that at high school football games. And in this case size doesn't matter. Alaska has a population of 698,493. Less then half the population of Philadelphia 1,440,751. The mayor of Philly has more to do then she did. Nice try but no cigar. Oh and 5 colleges to get one degree in journalism. She left college in Hawaii her father said because they had too many asians there and it rained alot. No sh*t Sherlock. Asians in Hawaii. She's a genius I "tells ya".LMAO
  • dlsofsetx Giantfan 2010/10/05 00:19:52
    dlsofsetx
    +1
    So what about the population of Alaska?Arkansas doesn't have as big a population as Philly either.Nobody brought that up with Clinton.Texas is the second most populous state(& fastest growing),media pundits tried to claim Bush was unqualified for the White House simply being Governor of Texas.Obama has been a 100% failure,I'd vote for a Care Bear against him.
  • Giantfan dlsofsetx 2010/10/05 17:03:20
    Giantfan
    +1
    Well with all due respect you go right ahead and vote for Care bear. It's been a long time since I've been to Arkansas and I pray it's much longer. I didn't see many high IQ's when I was there. I guess things haven't changed.
  • dlsofsetx Giantfan 2010/10/05 20:34:22
    dlsofsetx
    +2
    You plan to vote for another four years of Obama?
  • Giantfan dlsofsetx 2010/10/05 21:41:04
    Giantfan
    As opposed to Palin who thought Africa was a country and South Africa was the southern part of the country Africa. You bet your ass I will.
  • dlsofsetx Giantfan 2010/10/06 14:43:59
    dlsofsetx
    +1
    So she made a mistake,that happens to all of them.Al Gore had Lincoln elected in 1960,claimed "e pluribus unum" means "out of many,one".Your precious Obama can't say hello without a teleprompter.How do you know Palin will be the nominee in 2012?There are many potential candidates.My personal choice is Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal.
  • Giantfan dlsofsetx 2010/10/06 16:23:09
    Giantfan
    A mistake. I knew that in grade school. If she is going to have the codes to the worlds biggest nuclear arsenal she had better know that Africa is a continent and South Africa is a seperate country in Africa. This was reported by McCains people not the democrats and it was reported on Fox News not MSNBC. They said she refused to study, to do the hard work to learn these things I don't care if you don't like Obama or his policies but if you vote against him at least vote for someone who knows about foreign policies and countries because if we do have wars it's with foreign countries.
  • dlsofsetx Giantfan 2010/10/07 16:48:15
    dlsofsetx
    +1
    Your precious Obama claimed to have gone to 57 states.What about that?I think a President should know more about his country,& it's easier to overlook mistakes about other lands in our leader than our own.
  • Giantfan dlsofsetx 2010/10/07 18:06:31
    Giantfan
    Maybe he included Kenya, the Philippines and the part of Russia Palin can see from her porch. LOL Or maybe he added the 3 countries in NAFTA that Sarah Palin couldn't name. Or maybe he had Heinz ketchup on his mind. The old 57 varities of soups. Or maybe he just thought for once he's talk like a republican. Say anything, facts mean nothing.
  • dlsofsetx Giantfan 2010/10/07 23:54:53
    dlsofsetx
    +1
    Of course you think it's OK when your liberal pals make such blunders.BTW,Sarah never made that remark about Russia,it's froma sketch on SNL.
  • Giantfan dlsofsetx 2010/10/08 00:12:53
    Giantfan
    Yes she did but she said you could see russia from somewhere in Alaska. I saw it on tv. Live. SNL made a sketch out of it with I can see Russia from my house. What do you think. I don't watch Palin. She's the second best comedy on tv after Beck.
  • dlsofsetx Giantfan 2010/10/22 00:05:37
    dlsofsetx
    She still never said she could see Russia from her house.As a San Franciscan,you're obviously a homo with a mad crush on Barack Hussein Obama(mmm mmm mmm).
  • Giantfan dlsofsetx 2010/10/22 02:49:34
    Giantfan
    +1
    Did you read what I wrote. I said that Palin said "you can see Russia from an island in Alaska". Heck it's on video, watch it. And I'm from Pa. not SF.
  • Harry Giantfan 2011/04/05 06:34:17
    Harry
    +1
    It's true. You can.
  • Giantfan Harry 2011/04/05 16:35:18
    Giantfan
    I lived in Alaska. It's no big deal. She makes it sound like it's something so special that it must be from another world. Every time I hear her ay, "up here in Alaska we do this or that" I think jeeze lady we do it too down here in Pa. and over in Montana and in WV too. Give my a break with that, never mind. I'll be kind to her today and won't say what I'm thinking.
  • Harry Giantfan 2011/04/05 20:58:08
    Harry
    +1
    I am fascinated by what factors cause the left to hate her that much. It would make an interesting psychological study.

I really think that if the left stopped attacking her, much of her support would melt away. I find myself rallying to her defense chiefly because of the awful and outrageous attacks that are levied against her.
  • Giantfan Harry 2011/04/06 01:34:34
    Giantfan
    I'll be honest with you and I don't mean to be insulting or anything to anyone. The right likes a folksy type person. Someone they would like to have a beer with and they consider these average people intelligent. Now anyone on the left who is educated and acts such, they consider an elitist. Now if I sit down to BS and have a beer with someone who fits right in with me and my friends I sure as heck don't want that person becoming president. I want someone highly educated and knowledgeable of what is going on in the world and who knows the leaders of foreign countries, where those leaders stand on things and the importance of other countries to us. Now Palin didn't know the three countries that made up NAFTA, had no idea Africa was a continent and not a country and thought South Africa was just the southern part of the "country" Africa. They think this woman is qualified to lead the world. IMO she could barely find her way out of Alaska. That's what we have against her. Now no new president has any experience at being president unless the win a second term. It's a learning experience. I just want someone who at least has a heads up to begin with. I hope that answers your question. Because this is how we feel. One last thing. Much of her support has gone away. Except for the far right. The more moderates, independents heard her speak the more they realized just what the left has been saying all along.
  • Harry Giantfan 2011/04/06 02:35:13
    Harry
    +1
    I understand why there's opposition to Ms. Palin, but I still don't understand the vitriol, the viciousness, and the utter hate. It's has to be more than what you say.
  • Giantfan Harry 2011/04/06 02:46:20
    Giantfan
    She's not very nice to the left either. She makes some over the top comments and some we think are down right nasty but when someone says something about her well that's a different ball of wax. I guess we just don't like people very much who can dish it out but can't take it. One thing i do agree with that she complained about is that their kids should be off base for either side. And have you seen some of the real nasty pictures of Mrs. Obama here. Meaness isn't just one sided. There has been some very nasty remarks about Michelle. I say if you don't have tough skin don't get into politics. Because no matter what side you're on you're gonna get hammered.
  • Harry Giantfan 2011/04/06 02:53:04
    Harry
    +1
    Politics is far dirtier now than at any point I can ever remember it. I agree with what you say about Michelle Obama. She should be off limits.
  • Giantfan Harry 2011/04/06 13:44:57
    Giantfan
    I just think politics has become more radical. There are more politicians and people on the extreme edges of their parties which means less compromising and more name calling. Moderates are a dying breed but they will return when too many people become fed up with what we have today. Hopefully sooner then later.
  • Harry Giantfan 2011/04/06 13:55:27
    Harry
    I believe the right hasn't drifted at all. Completely fed up with the direction of the country - morally, culturally, and fiscally - conservatives have only now started to assert their positions with more forcefulness and conviction. And it's about time. We are simply not going to take it anymore.

The left has gone so far off the deep end (trillions of dollars of debt; homosexual marriage; making excuses for Muslim terrorism; socialized medicine against the will of the people; a government turned into an unmanageable monstrosity, etc.) that the positions of the principled right only SEEM radical by comparison.
  • Giantfan Harry 2011/04/06 01:37:06
    Giantfan
    One more thing. Then you should be rallying to Obama's defense also. The right started hammering him since 08 and hasn't let up one bit.
  • Harry Giantfan 2011/04/06 02:32:06
    Harry
    +1
    His intransigence in refusing to address the budget deficit and national debt render him completely deserving of brickbats.
  • Giantfan Harry 2011/04/06 02:51:29 (edited)
    Giantfan
    +1
    The deficits and national debts were out of control under Reagan and then kept snowballing from there with only the Clinton years with any signs of slowing down. Everyone has to admit a deep recession had something to do with the debt. 8 millions jobs lost meaning 8 million less people paying taxes and collecting unemployment. A double wammy. that wasn't Obamas fault. It was the fault of the economy. Alot of revenue was lost in 2 years. Now it's time to scall back and start to watch the spending.
  • Harry Giantfan 2011/04/06 03:03:41
    Harry
    +1
    Well, Paul Ryan took a major step in that direction today. Too bad he's not the president.
  • Giantfan Harry 2011/04/06 13:56:31
    Giantfan
    Paul Ryan wants to get rid of medicare and refuses to raise taxes on the wealthy. So Paul Ryan wants to balance the budget off of the backs of the working class while helping the wealthy. What else is new. The wealthy don't need medicare should they choose to opt out. But average americans do. What he wants to do is let the states control the medical aspects of it. Like medicaid and medicare by giving block sums to states who then ration that money among all the residents that are eligible for it. But here lies the problem. You may only get between 1.000 and 5,000 dollars a person to buy health insurance. Now as you know the older you get the worse your health gets and the more expensive your policies get. What kind of healthcare policy can an 80 year old get for that money? I hope Ryan's bill goes down in flames where it belongs. Until the republicans get out of the mindset of never raising taxes I'll never vote for one again. Also he wants to lower the top rates down to 25%. Reagan did that and he knew he went too far and his was 28%. We needed it to go back to 39.6% before we were able to balance a budget. Common sense. That's all I ask of people. Ideologies suck. IMO
  • Harry Giantfan 2011/04/06 14:30:03
    Harry
    +1
    I am not yet well versed on the details of the Ryan bill, and I know we will argue about those. You and I fundamentally disagree about the Reagan tax cuts and about taxes in general.

People will haggle over the Ryan plan, and changes will be proposed and voted on. Perhaps, when Obama is defeated and the GOP takes the Seante in 2012, it will even become law in some form.

But whatever flaws the bill may or may not have, at least someone finally has a plausible budget plan that can address this budget albatross that has its grips around our neck.

2014/04/18 03:38:11