Would you turn in your kids to the authorities if you knew they committed a crime?

Moderated 2008/11/19 11:18:31
478 votes
60%
69 votes
9%
152 votes
19%
93 votes
12%
Mother Turns In Children For Robbery
Associated Press

MILWAUKEE - A mother who turned in her teen daughter and son to police in a Milwaukee gas station robbery is being praised for her actions.

Milwaukee Police Capt. David Zibolski says the mother saw video of Thursday's armed robbery at Citgo Ajit Gas & Go on West Hopkins Street and recognized her 16-year-old son and 17-year-old daughter. She called police Friday after seeing the video on a local TV station.

Zibolski says the woman did the right thing. He says police hope she will be an example to others in Milwaukee who might have information about crimes.

Question Closed

• 1001084 2008/11/20 01:11:55
    Yes, and Kudos to her for holding her kids accountable!
    1001084
    +15
    Yes, with a lot of tear's. Condoning wrong behavior never helped anyone!

• ... 2008/12/05 01:52:51
  • shakti 2008/11/24 17:25:19
    shakti
    +1
    sounds too much like Dr. Laura. Turning your kids in won't always be the right thing. So laws come before family? not always...Perhaps in this particular case this mother did the right thing, and in the case of a violent crime, and you know your kid is a bad seed. But lets remember, laws are not by God, but by man...and the system, can sometimes do more damage than help. Its more complicated than Wallmart mothers can actually contemplate...Although I heard if you pay a cheap price for something made in China, you can live a better life....Forget about quality..And turn your kids in...
  • SweetZ 2008/11/24 08:24:39
    SweetZ
    +1
    It is a parent's responsibility to teach their young. It is the child's responsibility to learn about the rights and wrongs of life and to know they will suffer the consequences or reap the rewards of their choices.

I have seen the cons of parents who cover up for their children. When a parent enables a child (minor or adult) the outcome encourages the person to continue the behaviors. Parent who enable their child should assume responsibility as well!
  • Hugs&KissesNicole 2008/11/24 01:35:35
    Hugs&KissesNicole
    +1
    My first response would be to save my children from the hardship of prison. But what kind of people will they become if they get away with armed robbery. I'm not sure what I would do.
  • Samigwen 2008/11/23 19:12:16
    Samigwen
    my kid won't get into any trouble! ha!!! shame on you ppls for thinking that your kids would!!! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaa!
  • Grizz 2008/11/23 18:59:18
    Grizz
    +1
    this mother absolutely did the right thing.perhaps some time in juvinile detention will save them from hard time in prison in the future for killing some other mothers child.no one is born bad unless its the anti-christ,it all starts at home--
  • Scars Remain (aka Vicki) 2008/11/23 18:35:34
    Scars Remain (aka Vicki)
    A child must be accountable and must understand that the expectation is to follow the law of the land. I would be very sad, but I don't believe a child should be allowed to get away with any crime. I have taken a child into the store manager for shoplifting and allowed him to decide how to deal with the situation, even if it meant calling the law in and pressing charges. He showed mercy but I would have stood either way with the determination of what needed to be done to teach that there are consequences for our actions.
    Protecting them from this principle will only bring further harm to others and the child allowed to break the law.
  • SpiritualEyes 2008/11/23 18:16:31
    SpiritualEyes
    +1
    I couldn't believe it bellechevelle, my eleven year old son is sitting right here and I asked him the same question, and even read him the article you posted. Even with all his good up bringing, he said the he would never turn in his kids for a crime. I explained to him that a parent who didn't turn in their child for a crime like this is supporting their criminal behavior. At his young age I would drag him down to the police station and make him turn himself in. Over 18 I would just call police.
  • Jada Boo 2008/11/23 18:09:18
    Jada Boo
    i really don't kno right now
  • .:Ria:. 2008/11/23 18:09:04
    .:Ria:.
    Sadly, yes. It's the right thing to do despite the fact that your sending
    your kids to prison. Sad, but you really should :P
  • ilOvEmYmOmMy:) 2008/11/23 18:04:43
    ilOvEmYmOmMy:)
    they need to take resonibaltys for there actions
  • ashley15 2008/11/23 17:50:51
    ashley15
    i dont know
  • jlynn 2008/11/23 17:21:54
    jlynn
    +1
    yeah, if i had kids i would turn them in for that but if it was drugs or prostitution (i highly doubt that would happen unless they're in prostitution to get money for drugs)or if they were smoking pot in their apartment or underage drinking WITHOUT driving (drinking and driving is a different story) i wouldn't. but if it causes trauma, bodily harm, or a serious debt to someone i would turn them in no matter what.
  • beth...Not in MY country!!!! 2008/11/23 16:44:32
    beth...Not in MY country!!!!
    +1
    If it was something major that caused harm to another person, yes. If it was nothing more than speeding or double parking then no. If the government tells me to do something that goes against God, I would break the law, myself, and expect my kids to do the same. In that case I would support them one hundred percent!

When Obama builds a statue and tells us to bow down and worship, I will tell him to go take a flying leap!
  • two wheels 2008/11/23 16:33:05
    two wheels
    That is situational. My stepson robbed me. Bad. Personnel. My most cherished things.
    Did I want him punished? Oh yea. Did I want to rip off his head, Oh yea. Did I want to lose my wife. No. He walked. I hate him and It causes difficulties form time to time with my wife.
    I still should have had him arrested but I wanted him out of my state and as far away as possible.
  • SweetZ two wheels 2008/11/24 08:39:19
    SweetZ
    Situational? Naw........A theif is a theif........From life experience, he will do it again, and you will be his victim. He will continue to do it until he is stopped. He may not be near you now, but he will be back and when he comes back, lock up your stuff and keep your pockets full of ammo cuz that will be the only thing that will stop him other than the law...........

Your wife is an enabler, she needs to support you on this issue. She is enabling him to be a theif. In other words, she is saying, its ok you steal from him/us, just go away and it will be forgotten.

I have witnessed a son steal from his mother, every other week her apt. was broken into and something valuable was taken. She overlooked it, continued to enable him. His sister is a probation officer and they never took steps to stop him until finally charges were filed when the state prosecuted him. If this had not happened the mother would still have accepted this behavior from her son..........

It is up to you to take the stand.

No wonder our society is so F@(ked UP!
  • two wheels SweetZ 2008/11/24 23:42:18 (edited)
    two wheels
    He did. On the way back to Washinton St. by buss. Laying over in Idaho he stold a car form a woman who offered him shelter. Wrecked the car on the Wa. side and was incarserated. But get this. I talked to the proccecutor, to give him a heads up on the type of fello he was dealing with. I was told that in Wa.. Non violent crimes are lightly punished. He got three months for grand theift. No wonder our society is so F@(ked UP! feel like an ass because I let him go and he did his dirty on an innocent.
  • John two wheels 2009/03/20 18:51:28
    John
    My own son burgularized my home twice years after he had left home and served in the military who threw him out also. He took things that could never be replaced that came from my grandparents. I went to the judge and swore out a warrant for his arrest. They looked at me like what kind of SOB swears out a warrant for his own son. They put him in a preintervention program which he never completed and he finally left the state. They did nothing to him and the statue of limitations finally ran out. They cleared the warrant and he got away with it clean. Turning them in was the right thing to do but as you can see, they don't always learn anything from that either. That same boy is 42 years old and still dishonest staying always one step ahead of the law. He has nothing nor a family after two marriages. He never will have anything because he thinks he is so much more intelligent than the world. Wait till he falls, hes gonna go down big time someday. He didn't learn any of that at home so don't tell me it all begins at home. I had 4 and he's the only one that turned out like that, a Democrat.
  • two wheels John 2009/07/04 11:32:04
    two wheels
    I brought this kid up knowing right from wrong. He was always selfish,always wanting his share, only his share was always more. I used a military honor code where the group was greater than the one. Family before self. Have respect twards others. It never stuck. I have two other children. I am often told by others that my kids are not like most worldly kids. The are kind, respectful, helpful, and polite. So it must be him, just a selfish chup.
  • dasi34 2008/11/23 16:29:53
    dasi34
    No, it will get them ready for the real world
  • Attila 2008/11/23 16:21:48 (edited)
    Attila
    sure would.

And they sure would go to jail sore knowing that they did wrong and I will not support it.
  • PapaSteve 2008/11/23 16:02:40
    PapaSteve
    It would be the hardest thing I would ever do, but do it I would, with tears. The kids were already seen on tape and it was a matter of time before someone else identified them. By turning them in herself, she saved her family the embarrassment of having someone else turn them in. She also gave the sign that her kids had gone too far and she wasn't going to protect them from the consequences of criminal behavior. She did good as a parent.
  • punkyemy 2008/11/23 15:56:38
    punkyemy
    i dont think i could do that...i would probably just give them therapy and talk to them alot. If it continiously happened, then i would probably turn them in.
  • Kevman 2008/11/23 14:51:47
    Kevman
    +1
    It'd be the hardest thing I'd ever done, but I would.
  • buzzboygt 2008/11/23 14:44:35
    buzzboygt
    If a parent could discipline there child properly without the threat of going under legal issues than this would be a no vote.

But they can't because most forms of punishment are a government monopoly so there is only one choice.
  • EyeLovesJesus 2008/11/23 14:43:20 (edited)
    EyeLovesJesus
    +1
    I applaud her for doing the right thing..though I know first hand how much it hurts..

When I was the manager of an Apartement Complex, I had to evict my son for non-payment of rent and my daughter was barred from coming on the site (she was a drug abuser)..

That was in 2004..Now my daughter is drug free and married and my son is getting married he has 3 beautiful children.. :)

With ~Love~ In Christ.. :)
  • SweetZ EyeLove... 2008/11/24 08:42:35
    SweetZ
    Tough love is the hardest to dish out....but in the long run there will be success! Congratulations on being a great PARENT! :) Thanks for making our world a better place by doing your job!
  • Swamp Cracker 2008/11/23 14:12:58
    Swamp Cracker
    +1
    Yes I would, no one gets a free pass for doing such crime.
  • Saintsfan 2008/11/23 12:43:44
    Saintsfan
    +2
    Naturally, It would be a sad sign as I've obviously failed in teaching them the rights and wrongs of life... Now they have to learn it the hard way.
  • TexasLady 2008/11/23 12:29:38 (edited)
    TexasLady
    +3
    My son was 18 when he had to stand trial for receiveing stolen merchandise.I have four children and all are good ,responsible adults.He has always had problems with running with the wrong crowd,abusing drugs etc. I stood before the judge that day and begged him to release him to me,that he not be sent to prison (could have gone for up to 12 years. It was considered a felony).He finally agreed to it. He did have to serve 30 days in jail plus pay a fine and do probation. He was a "changed" person when he was released. But in a very short while ,he was back on the streets ,doing drugs ,business as usual. Over the years he has deserted four children,who are scattered all over the US,been in jail so many times. Lost two girlfriends to murder.Come so close to overdosing many times and continues to make his life ,his parent's lives and his siblings lives pure He**.If you have a child like this,one word of advice-don't let that child call the shots. Don't beg a judge not to send them to jail,don't take them out of drug rehab ,because you can't bear to watch them suffer..You are charting the course for a long miserable life for you and that child..
    As for a jail cell being dangerous-29 hits of ecstacy for your 29 th birthday is far more dangerous. Being chased by a moroycycle gang,because th...

''
    As for a jail cell being dangerous-29 hits of ecstacy for your 29 th birthday is far more dangerous. Being chased by a moroycycle gang,because the girlfriend of one of them died ,from an infection, after you gave her a tatto is dangerous.
    He is now 38 and this has been going on since his teen years.
    We weren't perfect parents. BUt we tried. We must have done something right. Our other children all have homes ,families and are well adjusted adults. My oldest son just bought his own home and has a business.My daughters work and are wonderful moms. They have all tried through the years to help their brother ,with no success. He takes and takes from them,steals from them and doesn't contact them again ,until he needs bail money or wants money that will be used for drugs..
    He takes no responsibility for his actions,blames everyone else for his life and feels we all owe him. A parent can only do so much.Lord knows we have tried.
  • Saintsfan TexasLady 2008/11/23 12:50:50
    Saintsfan
    +3
    TexasLady, thanks for sharing your story. Sorry to hear of all the trouble and can imagine the heartache. You are so right there is only so much a parent can do, in the end you have to consider your own emotional stability and long term sanity.
  • TexasLady Saintsfan 2008/11/23 14:13:02
    TexasLady
    +3
    Thank you.We still love him ,of course.Althought he and I had quite a discussion on the phone a few nights ago ! I have given him to the Lord. There is nothing more I can do for him.
  • **Bessie** Saintsfan 2008/11/23 19:06:48
    **Bessie**
    +1
    and her safety. Your own child can do great harm if they feel it is their only way to get what they want. Very sad.
  • LPE TexasLady 2008/11/23 19:08:45
    LPE
    Good thing you have the other children as a barometer or you might blame yourself. Sometimes it just is what it is.
  • This Much 2008/11/23 11:51:25
    No! They just need a time out.
    This Much
    +4
    NO NO NO - I cant believe how many idots would toss thier precious children into a pathetic law system - keep government out of your personal life dont invite them in!! - Do you relaize how dangerous a jail cell is! It is your failure for the crime in the first place but if you fail again and toss them to the incompetent one-size-fits all judge its your own fault when you loose the relationship with the kid for the rest of your life -that would just be the cherry on top
  • Marine This Much 2008/11/23 12:56:00
    Marine
    Are you for real Di-Checck? So you would rather support violence and stealing. Although I agree that we need to keep the Govt out of our personal lives your statement of "I cant believe how many idiots would toss thier precious children into a pathetic law system." It is one thing to keep the Govt out of our day to day lives but to let kids break the law and for you to hide them is child abuse!! because they will continue to break laws and one day wil be shot. Do you have kids? If you do then I can se them as pathetic brats. You are an idiot for saying the things you said!
  • This Much Marine 2008/11/25 02:39:59
    This Much
    +2
    wow you make it seem like you have called the cops on your kids...good luck with that
  • Marine This Much 2008/11/26 01:35:24
    Marine
    My Son stole a hot wheel at a local Store, I took him back and made him give it back to the Store MGR and then made him appolgize. My Son knew that he was at the mercy of the Store owner for stealing. The Store MGR said that that was punishment enough. My Son was 8 at the time and is 16 now and is a great young Man. He is respectful, kind and will give the shirt off his back if you need it. My point is if caught early enough a young Childs attitude can change but if left unchallenged then they turn into hard criminals FACT. Would I call the Cops if I saw my Son robbing a store YOU BET YOU I WOULD!! for the simple fact of it was against the law and he took something that did not belong to him. My Kids have been raised to obey the laws of Man and the laws of God. When it comes down to it is about respect!!!!
  • This Much Marine 2008/11/26 15:07:33
    This Much
    +3
    ahh still missing the point? right....An 8 year old taking a candy bar (hot wheel whatever) while shopping with mommy is not the conversation we are having - and this solution you came up with - nothing new or different there - yeah yeah your little darling is wonderful - your little wonderful would not rob the store that’s your argument because you taught them early - I hope your wonderful gets caught with a bag of pot - bet money you would never never ruin his big ol'wonderful life by a drug charge...- so there is your dilemma - you catch your wonderful bouncing boy buying alcohol, doing drugs – at 16 even buying a pack of cigarettes – its a against the law...you are going to turn him in? No!! you are not, you are going to deal with the situation as a family....so now go up and take a look around his room and see if there is any kinky smut on his computer – most 16 year old boys…
  • Marine This Much 2008/11/26 23:54:29
    Marine
    My position is still the same, If my 20 year old Son robs a store at gun point I would turn him in. The point is the same as with my Son when he was 8, teach them respect not only for People but for the laws too. You are missing the point, you have a typical Liberal whos lets save the World attitude but you are not willing to stand up for what is right. We have laws for a reason and People who break these laws should face the Courts. My computer is blocked with parental controls so my kids can not visit smut, violence, ect.... so try another approach your liberal crying is doing no good. You can raise your kids to be thieves, muggers, robbers, thugs and punks if you want to and you will see them on the FBI's most wanted list one day. So get over yourself, I would turn him in for drugs and he knows it. My Kids enjoy Church and the good that comes from being good, so here we are again you acting like a stupid Liberal.

2014/10/24 18:14:19