Would you take a job that promised you a pay raise, benefits and a signing bonus? UAW Won't.

RachelLord 2010/09/17 01:02:29

It's absolutely amazing to me that these workers are complaining about perks when so many others are out of work. I bet there are a lot of folks that would take the deal they are griping about.

The UAW Still Doesn't Get It

By Charles Payne

Published September 16, 2010

| FOXBusiness

I guess when the White House essentially gives you an auto company it’s easy to become emboldened and unrealistic. But, the United Auto Workers really seems to be making a giant mistake in Wisconsin. The union turned down a contract extension at Oshkosh (OSK: 26.90 ,-0.46 ,-1.68%), the super-hot maker of military vehicles, saying it was appalled at the offer it received from Oshkosh management:
• 3.5% pay hike
• $750 signing bonus
• No healthcare premium increases
• Incremental increases in pension and fringe benefits

The extension was offered for a year, and that angered union leaders looking for more long-term security. On a thread for the Journal Sentinel of Milwaukee, this is how one union worker replied to the ongoing criticism of the union’s decision:

“You idiots think it's all about the money. It has nothing to do with the money. It has to do with the company not honoring the laws of FMLA. A guy has to take care of his wife after a heart attack. He is walked out on and doesn't have a job. A woman with cancer needs time off for chemo, she is walked out on for attendance. A man's wife has a baby and he needs a week off. His FMLA is denied. Just a few examples. … These are the rights we are fighting for. The rights many other companies have in place already. This is why we rejected the contract…. Yeah, you all wanna work here? Better not get sick or need time off to help your family.”

The answer to his last question would be ‘yes’ from the 14.9 million not working in this country and the 8.9 million working part-time for economic reasons and the 2.4 million marginally attached to the workforce. Actually, there are many people with jobs who would have taken the offer in a heartbeat.

Indeed, management at Harley Davidson (HOG: 28.45 ,-0.39 ,-1.35%) knew there were people all over the country and all over the world eager to work for decent wages. Ironically, that same knowledge seeped into the consciousness of the folks who run the United Steelworkers of America union and International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. Harley was ready to bolt Wisconsin, but decided to stay put this week after unions agreed to tough terms.
Ø Wage Freeze
Ø Laying off 325 workers
Ø Union workers moved to same pension plan as salaried workers in 2009, and there is a ton of money sloshing around the company. But, those trucks are mostly for the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters. What happens when those wars are over? It wasn’t too long ago that the very existence of the company was questionable. The stock touched $4.74 on March 6, 2009, and has been under a fair amount of pressure more recently.

For an organization whose rally cry is “fight greed,” it’s amazing the UAW is playing such a dangerous and irresponsible game. Maybe it has been inferred to OSK management by the union that getting new U.S. government contracts could become more difficult if their demands aren’t met?

For what it's worth, what happened in Wisconsin this summer is a microcosm of what's going on in this country. The same people pulling the strings and selling fear want lavish amounts of money showered on union workers and less on people without jobs. They aren't considering the future or how the nation could grow if we lighten the load on entitlements and political payoffs.

On that note, the government is really twisted and sick when it thinks allowing me to keep more of the money I earn is the same as giving me money. Say what!!! It doesn't cost the government a dime to allow job creators to keep more of the money they earn. The nerve of the government to wedge itself into private transactions is an affront, but to actually attempt to divide the nation by pushing through policies that say people that didn't pay federal income tax deserved a rebate while those being crushed by Uncle Sam deserve only our scorn is wrong.

I hope the GOP stands its ground and makes sure all Americans enjoy the Bush tax cuts in this critical time when we need to unlock spending and enthusiasm, and not continue browbeating successful people.

The President who was going to unite the nation continues to pit it against itself. It's not social justice, or smart, to punish success. People are angry, and it's not only with Wall Street, and it has never been with the woman that owns the wig store on Main Street. Fanning the flames of that anger in hopes it will destroy your enemy is as dangerous as starting a wildfire in the hopes it only engulfs your neighbor's home.

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” - Abraham Lincoln

Lincoln lost eight election attempts, including Senate runs in 1854 and 1858, and yet won the presidency in 1860. People must do the right thing even if it means losing now.

Read More: http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2010/09/16/uaw-...

• Divided States of America 2010/09/20 03:48:54
    Divided States of America
    I guess you don't get what the union is about.It isn't what is best for each person.
  • Divided... Divided... 2010/09/20 03:56:48 (edited)
    Divided States of America
    modern day cowboy Tesla
  • Studied 2010/09/20 00:44:00
    Studied
    I am a bit confused on this guys statement......FMLA is a Federal Law, It they are not following the rules, and you have the proof, report it. “You idiots think it's all about the money. It has nothing to do with the money. It has to do with the company not honoring the laws of FMLA. A guy has to take care of his wife after a heart attack. He is walked out on and doesn't have a job. A woman with cancer needs time off for chemo, she is walked out on for attendance. A man's wife has a baby and he needs a week off. His FMLA is denied. Just a few examples. … These are the rights we are fighting for. The rights many other companies have in place already. This is why we rejected the contract…. Yeah, you all wanna work here? Better not get sick or need time off to help your family.”
    I really do not believe the above quote can be true. The idea of Unions was once good, but that time is long past, now they seem to be destroying the country. They do not really care about the workers. They stole the dues and used it to fund Obama.
  • RachelLord Studied 2010/09/20 01:09:33
    RachelLord
    FMLA is typically unpaid leave. Maybe that's what he is referring to.
  • Andi 2010/09/20 00:18:13
    Andi
    +1
    Only idiots belong to unions.
  • Patrioteer 2010/09/18 17:33:57
    Patrioteer
    +2
    The unions - all of them! - cost American taxpayers untold millions, perhaps billions, of dollars every year in the form of outrageous wages and benefits. There was a time that unions really looked out for workers, but now they use them as useful idiots to promote their own political agenda. Union contracts for infrastructure jobs, for example, cost sometimes 2 to 3 times what it does for non-union work. I've seen it firsthand!

If we want to get the most for our tax dollars, and employ the largest number of the unemployed, we will not use union companies for government funded projects!
  • Semper Fi 2010/09/18 15:52:29
  • Lanikai 2010/09/17 14:51:19
    +1
    Any factroy wishing to set up a great work environment with motivated workers of the NON union variety needs to move here.

I sincerely HOPE each of these union slaves loses their job.
  • bill 2010/09/17 12:58:04
    bill
    +2
    Unions are nothing more than legalized extortion!
  • Lorenzo 2010/09/17 11:51:35
    Lorenzo
    +1
    I have belonged to four unions over my career. I paid thousands in dues and got nothing back.
  • Rodney 2010/09/17 06:02:18
    Rodney
    +3
    I enjoy Charles Paynes perspective. I was curious and had to look. The worker who said it wasn't about the money but the Family Medical Leave. They receive 2 hours accrual per week up to 132 days total. That works out to about 13 days a year. Eight more then they get for the first years vacation. They also have a very fair personal leave agreement. They also get one day a year for Incentive Compensation. Guess I will conclude with this ...My Cry Baby Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Lanikai Rodney 2010/09/17 14:53:07
    +2
    Most unions also offer them "FMLA time sharing" so if one guy needs to be out for three months (which IS with pay folks) other employees can give him their days. Not a bad deal at all. Bunch of sissy pants whiners who should be glad they even have a job.
  • Rodney Lanikai 2010/09/17 15:50:11
    Rodney
    +1
    I'm sure that was in the contract as well, I only hit the meat portions of the contract. You have a point there. I'll stick with the picture above. Wah, wah! Didn't even look to see what the hourly compensation was. I'm sure a lot more then most folks get. I always billed my time at $25 and hour, which I thought was fair considering my overhead and what I had to pay out of that besides me.
  • unicorn_lady1 2010/09/17 03:38:36 (edited)
    unicorn_lady1
    +1
    Only Union people are being taken care of at all by Obama.

How many Union industries have failed or moved over seas.

How many Union industries have received direct funds from Obama.

How many Union industries are still failing in spite of robbing the rest of America which now has over 14% poverty?

Thanks Obama.... all you have done is make the Elite Democrats richer.
  • Lanikai unicorn... 2010/09/17 14:54:30
    +2
    Well, obamas stupid chinese import tire tax KILLED our industry. It ran the cost of tires up by over 40% so far and two more increases are coming-ALL to protect United Steel worker jobs-number of jobs protected? ZERO, number of jobs lost in th eautomotive aftermarket industry-several thousand.
  • RachelLord Lanikai 2010/09/18 01:39:30
    RachelLord
    I still don't get how they blame Bush for sending jobs overseas...
    I hear that way too much.
  • akgold 2010/09/17 02:44:45
    akgold
    +2
    They are products of the public school system run by the NEA. 200% of nothing has to be twice as good as 100% of something.
    Was the contract turned down after a vote of the membership, OR, did the union leaders decide the workers did not want to approve it?
  • RachelLord akgold 2010/09/17 02:49:36
    RachelLord
    +1
    Good question. The article didn't say.
  • Rodney akgold 2010/09/17 06:11:56
    Rodney
    +2
    Here's what I found.
    The union that represents about 2,750 employees at Oshkosh Corp. has rejected a one-year contract extension that would have included a 3.5% pay increase.

United Auto Workers Local 578 voted unanimously to turn down the extension to its contract, which expires Sept. 30, 2011.

Seems the biggest point was the one year extension. They are building military vehicles. Not the most secure thing in the world with Barry making promises to pull troops out next year.
  • teigan 2010/09/17 02:27:16
    teigan
    +3
    Unions only care about their slice of the pie and the hell with anybody else. Unions own DC. DC is full of Union buildings, I got tired of counting them while I was there. It's time for the unions to die out, we don't need them anymore. We don't need their greedy money grubbing either.
  • Rockies Man 2010/09/17 01:44:14
    Rockies Man
    +2
    Another example of the dysfunctional nature of the modern day brain dead, whinny, sniveling, hand wringing, terrorist supporting, American hating, envrionMENTAL wacko, health care reform morons, lying liberal loser left.
  • MarinerFH 2010/09/17 01:26:46
  • RachelLord MarinerFH 2010/09/17 01:31:23
    RachelLord
    +4
    That's not cool. You hear stories of men and women who relied on the unions to take care of them, and then poof, nothing.
  • MarinerFH RachelLord 2010/09/17 01:39:46
  • Lanikai MarinerFH 2010/09/17 15:00:26
    +2
    NY and Cali are both destroyed, mostly by union costs and union pension costs.
  • MarinerFH Lanikai 2010/09/17 16:35:50
  • Kane Fernau 2010/09/17 01:26:00
    Kane Fernau
    +5
    The majority of union workers are employed by the government!
  • MarinerFH Kane Fe... 2010/09/17 16:40:56
  • Sawdust_128 2010/09/17 01:19:47
    Sawdust_128
    +5
    The unions will bitch themselves right out of everything.
  • The Gov... Sawdust... 2010/09/17 01:25:42
  • Sawdust... The Gov... 2010/09/17 01:29:44
    Sawdust_128
    +2
    truth.
  • The Gov... Sawdust... 2010/09/17 01:32:47
  • The Govenor 2010/09/17 01:19:19
  • RachelLord The Gov... 2010/09/17 01:23:46
    RachelLord
    +4
    Too bad a certain IDIOT union member won't be able to comment on this....I would love to hear his propagandizing clap trap defending this.
  • The Gov... RachelLord 2010/09/17 01:24:59
  • RachelLord The Gov... 2010/09/17 01:27:02
    RachelLord
    +2
    Take your pick! lol Mindless weaselly Twit sounds much better! :) Lol
  • The Gov... RachelLord 2010/09/17 01:27:50
  • RachelLord The Gov... 2010/09/17 01:32:41
    RachelLord
    +3
    And I try to keep my cool for the most part. But meanspirited conniving pathetic stupid psuedointellectualism gets me going.
  • The Gov... RachelLord 2010/09/17 01:34:48
  • RachelLord The Gov... 2010/09/17 01:36:15
    RachelLord
    +2
    Lol! Yes yes. Living right is the best revenge. It's people like that that keep me motivated!

2014/10/21 05:29:00