Would you support Walmart workers who say they may strike on Black Friday?

ABC News Money 2012/10/11 20:34:02

• Justagirl 2012/10/11 22:29:31
    No, I don’t think they should disrupt one of the biggest shopping days of the...
    Justagirl
    +8
    No, if you aren't happy with your job, find another. Plenty of people can and will take your place.

• maneEack 2012/11/11 21:08:11
    maneEack
    Walmart is the biggest company in the world. More employees than the US military! People love the deals Walmart brings to the table on Black Friday. Thats why they pull in billion dollars of revenue in a single day! Haters gon' hate.
  • D S 2012/10/14 21:14:24
    None of the above.
    D S
    No. They were looking for work when they took the job. They'll be looking when they go.
    If you don't like the deal, don't take it in the first place.
  • Todd Parsons 2012/10/13 21:37:49
    None of the above.
    Todd Parsons
    totally up to them.... Bad idea though.... Walmart has closed it's stores before to avoid this stuff
  • marty 2012/10/13 21:26:07
    marty
    They get paid. To come into work....I know! So hard to grasp! By all reckoning, this is a great time to be a store employee! It might be hectic, but at least pay's involved.
  • Sadiero... marty 2012/10/15 19:03:39 (edited)
    Sadierose Dobson
    I get off at 11pm I'm required back at 5am. Many times I don't see my first break until the 6 hour mark when it is required for me to go to lunch. When I started there 3 years ago there were 3 people at all time in our dept. Now we do more business then ever and there is usually only one. People pound on the glass, whistle for you like you are a dog, yell if they have to wait for the people in front of them and complain to management is you don't break the rules to make them happy. Depending on your manager, you might be supported or they might throw you under the bus. Do I think unions are the answer...NO....I think a little respect is the answer from both employer and customer. It's more important than pay .
  • marty Sadiero... 2012/10/16 03:20:19
    marty
    That sucks. I didn't expect you to have to go back in so early. I made the ASS-U-Me-Uption that yall got (almost) full-time and had adequate break/relief. Wal-Mart's getting too greedy; it's a joke seeing 22 cash register lanes and less than 1/4 are open.
  • Sadiero... marty 2012/10/16 08:54:12
    Sadierose Dobson
    I make that one all the time..great minds think the same.
  • Doc Freeman BTO-T-TB~pwcmjla~ 2012/10/13 13:48:41
    Doc Freeman BTO-T-TB~pwcmjla~
    When you consider how many people are out of work, why would you want to take a chance on losing your job? There are just too many people that could replace you then you have nothing. With unemployment really at 11% what idiot would go on strike now? If Walmart employees do on strike on Black Friday and Walmart loses money, I can guarantee that they will start closing down stores, especially those where the most people went on strike. I guess these Walmart employees have plenty of money and don’t really need a job. If this happens I know where I can get a part-time job in a hurry.
  • Sadiero... Doc Fre... 2012/10/15 19:06:34
    Sadierose Dobson
    +1
    You'd do fine on the GM side, but you wouldn't last a month on the grocery side. We go through people like water down a rat hole. You bust ass your entire shift to make up for those that don't work, those that don't show up for work, and the managerial staff that just keeps piling it on without a clue as to why it isn't working.
  • ray 2012/10/13 10:40:51
    None of the above.
    ray
    +1
    If the store is still open , there will be long longs at the register and no one to help shoppers .
    How will anyone notice the difference if they are on strike ?
  • Sadiero... ray 2012/10/15 19:11:54
    Sadierose Dobson
    +1
    Our store was remodeled a couple years ago. They put in double the registers they had before. But, they won't give people the hours to work as a cashier or anything else. So, you are correct, people wait for hours. I was in line one day and customers were talking about this situation. I went back and spoke with management. Nothing changed. They just call the few stockers off the floor to cashier, but then they don't have what people need because there is no one to stock selves. That is when they take the dept managers from different areas to work as stockers. It's kind of like the book ...if you give a mouse a cookie...they just keep robbing Peter to pay Paul and then when things don't get done; employees must be screwing around. Well, some of them do. Walmart does suffer from the 10% over employeed...people who come to work to collect a paycheck. I think they don't fire them because they don't want to pay unemployment and they don't want to get sued.
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2012/10/13 07:29:29
    None of the above.
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    Walmart has workers? I've never been able to find one when I need help. And on those rare occasions that I did, they were useless and unfriendly. Their problem not mine.
  • Sadiero... Pedro D... 2012/10/15 19:17:57
    Sadierose Dobson
    Not all of them are useless and unfriendly. Many would be happy to help you, but the list of things expected of them is already so long they will never get through it. The store moves things so often that no one knows were things are. If you ask someone above you where items are then shrug and walk off and ...maybe the most important is that a couple customers before you were rude as hell the the employee you did find. I have had people pound on the glass when I've acknowledged I will be with them in a moment. I have had people walk up and immediately, with 5 other people in line, demand service, I have had people whistle for me like I am their pet dog. Bad way to get good service. I work in the deli. I pride myself on taking care of people. I don't sell them what I wouldn't buy. I don't present it in a way I wouldn't want it presented. I bend the rules as much as I can to make a customer happy. I look forward to helping a customer find something, because it gets me out of the deli. But, disrespect me and my service...with a smile...can get sooooooo slow, snails move faster.
  • Pedro D... Sadiero... 2012/10/15 19:32:47
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    The first thing on any list for that kind of a business is the "customer". The customer does not work for you, your not their boss. What's your motto? "The customer is the Enemy". Your blurb is one of the main reasons I no longer shop at Walmart. I don't need a five minute shopping trip turn into a miserable 2 hour long event. The hostility toward customers seems to be a Walmart phenomena. I enjoy shopping at the compitition. Go complain to management, I do my complaining with my wallet.
  • Sadiero... Pedro D... 2012/10/15 19:41:13 (edited)
    Sadierose Dobson
    I am not hostile to customers and I realize not everyone is having a great day. To many people believe the world should stop because they have something to take care of. I have learned that if I don't have time to wait, I don't need what ever it is I'm thinking about getting. I like helping customers and those that think they have the right to be asses...well they do...so they can have a nice day and go in peace. If you have a real reason for you upset then so see management, but don't take it out on the clerk because they have more work to accomplish then one person can do. You give respect...you get respect, it works both ways. In may cases, I just smile, and then we laugh at them in the back room.
  • Pedro D... Sadiero... 2012/10/15 19:58:10
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +1
    Well I would shop from you for sure, wish all of them would be OK. I move a lot so the ones I've been to the last few years, well I'm surprised their in business. The ones in the South seem to be better. As for management, I don't waste my time. If employees are bad it is because their managers are too and they hire people like themselves. (a rule of thumb that has held true for many years) I din't go to any of their stores anymore in the last location. The competition was fine.
  • Sadiero... Pedro D... 2012/10/15 19:47:15
    Sadierose Dobson
    "The hostility toward customers seems to be a Walmart phenomena. I enjoy shopping at the compitition." And no doubt your local walmart employee thanks you for that.
  • Pedro D... Sadiero... 2012/10/15 20:01:23
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    WOW aren't you good for business, I guess you bring my comment to life.
  • dacsayshi 2012/10/13 03:57:33
    None of the above.
    dacsayshi
    +2
    No. I do not support them.
  • Marc m 2012/10/13 02:59:42
    Marc m
  • KingdomNow 2012/10/13 02:13:56
    KingdomNow
    +2
    Nobody is owed a job -If you don't like the conditions, people are free to find employment elsewhere.

There is no justification for any strike.
  • Sadiero... KingdomNow 2012/10/15 19:20:08
    Sadierose Dobson
    They aren't owed a job and unions are not the answer. They are owed the same respect you give anyone. The difference between Sam Walton's walmart and the current walmart is not the wages...they have always paid poorly. Sam Walton respected his employees. He listened to them. He made them feel like they were part of the big concept not a replaceable piece of trash.
  • Solid Snake 2012/10/13 01:22:13
    Solid Snake
    +1
    Why are they striking?
  • Eddie_DOMA_is_dead 2012/10/13 00:41:15
  • Bronar 2012/10/13 00:15:11
    Bronar
    +1
    But from what I can gather, Wallie's doesn't sound like a great employer.
  • ikeknight 2012/10/13 00:10:50
    Yes, I think the company should meet their demands.
    ikeknight
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/10/13 00:09:18
    None of the above.
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +2
    Yes, I would support the workers. Just as I would support Walmart's right to fire those who strike if they chose to.
  • Sadiero... tommyg ... 2012/10/15 19:22:27
    Sadierose Dobson
    Cannot fire them for striking, but missing too many days due to sit outs, etc can add up and they can fire them for that.
  • tommyg ... Sadiero... 2012/10/15 19:48:31
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    You're probably right. But it may depend on the state you live in...
  • robert.goldsmith.14 2012/10/13 00:08:25
  • American Girl 2012/10/13 00:02:03
    American Girl
    +1
    If you don't like the working conditions find another job! You work for Walmart, they don't work for you!
  • Sadiero... America... 2012/10/15 19:27:23
    Sadierose Dobson
    In there lies the problem. Many people do not have the option of another job...that doesn't give a company the right to treat you with disrespect. I have the education, but financially I am unable to leave the area and move to where I could do better. I don't want a union. I want a company that backs its workers. It would be a win win situation for all. People who feel respected work harder. That creates better working conditions, which means better customer service. Customer service, that is a thing of the past, at walmart and just about every where else. But then I must add, the American public is not the Miss Congeniality that it use to be either. Customers are so very rude. Not all, but the number is increasing. It's as if the entitlement attitude has moved from getting a free ride to getting a free ride and getting it right now.
  • CHUCK - Liberal in Seattle 2012/10/12 23:47:02
    CHUCK - Liberal in Seattle
    I will support it, don't mean much, I don't shop there.
  • flrdsgns 2012/10/12 23:44:13
    None of the above.
    flrdsgns
    +1
    I could care less what those freaks do. Horrible store, horrible employees and weird people who shop there.
  • Sadiero... flrdsgns 2012/10/15 18:46:41 (edited)
    Sadierose Dobson
    Thank you..I am one of those freaks that works there. Not out of great love of the company or because I like being treated like crap by the customer. No,it's because in my area a job is hard to come by and I was raised too proud to live of the assistance of others.
  • Sir_Smoksaloth 2012/10/12 23:36:22
    None of the above.
    Sir_Smoksaloth
    +2
    I honestly don't care... I don't shop there for numerous reasons...
  • Sadiero... Sir_Smo... 2012/10/15 19:29:40
    Sadierose Dobson
    I work there and I don't shop there very often. Our insurance plan starting in 2013 is going to require us to buy your prescriptions from Walmart or we have to pay a hire rate. I have seen these fools in the pharmacy make too many mistakes so no doubt I will keep mine where it is.
  • Gone Away 2012/10/12 23:34:04
    None of the above.
    Gone Away
    +1
    1st they don't have a Union or a solid collective dispute! When you ask employees they all have different ideas, from money, to hours, to benefits, to..."I Love working at WalMart, they take good care of me. So I don't know what the problem is!"
    And 2nd...it doesn't affect ME at all. Since, I find, across the board...I get better deals AFTER BlackFriday anyway! So, I avoid it like the plague. And will continue to do so!
  • Cat 1017 2012/10/12 23:33:31
    None of the above.
    Cat 1017
    +3
    I support them...

2014/07/24 10:49:14