Would you support Texas in building a conservative Union?

Scalded Eagle 2012/12/03 15:19:40
The divide between Liberal and Conservative values, is now too different to be sustained as one Union, I think the time has come to see if the liberals can survive under their own rule. I know that there are a good 20-30 states that would join us, What are your thoughts?

• daylight 2013/03/04 09:08:19
  • glennkresge@aol.com 2013/01/24 00:02:12
    glennkresge@aol.com
    +2
    Texas is the only state that has the option to legally revert back to a nation-The Republic of Texas. So Texas can leave the union without an act of war legally. Texas is the only state that has this in their constitution. It was part of the agreement when Texas joined the union. So Texas can leave the union at anytime per this agreement.
  • sickofpolitics 2012/12/14 12:28:04
    sickofpolitics
    I am right there with them. They would be begging to join our New Union!!! I will be moving to one of those states very soon :)
  • Katherine 2012/12/13 08:19:05
    Katherine
    Sure, to escape the multiple counts of treason committed by this administration.
  • kat 2012/12/13 07:41:17
    kat
    Treasonous thought.
  • kat 2012/12/13 07:40:43
    kat
    I don't know if I even understand what you mean by a conservative union, but it kinda feels devisive...haven't we tried something like that before? Oh, say 140 years ago give or take a few months.
  • Simmering Frog 2012/12/11 05:09:40
    Simmering Frog
    +2
    Texas would do well. The taxed to death liberal states are on their way to economic collapse.
  • Wohuz 2012/12/10 10:07:35
    Wohuz
    +7
    Texas' economic powerhouses support Obama. That's why Obama won Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin in this last election.
  • LeroyRo... Wohuz 2012/12/12 18:54:48
    LeroyRogers
    +2
    you mean voter fraud. with dead people voting, illegals voting, felons voting, and people voting multiple times, it's no wonder that the democRAT party is so against us having to show an id in order to vote.

the rest of the world knows it, but our mainstream media obama cheerleaders will never report it.

http://www.canadafreepress.co...
  • Katherine Wohuz 2012/12/13 08:21:00
    Katherine
    Interesting

• Mrs. V 2012/12/10 05:48:42
    Mrs. V
  • Farnsworth 2012/12/10 03:51:00
    Farnsworth
    +2
    I firmly believe in a conservative state confederacy.

Conservative states should all get together and form economic alliances against liberal states.
  • RevBH Farnsworth 2012/12/10 05:59:28
    RevBH
    :D
  • Wohuz Farnsworth 2012/12/11 09:26:40
    Wohuz
    +1
    So you're saying you don't support federalism, and for that matter the Constitution. You'd rather go back to the Articles of Confederation. Which was an utter failure.
  • Farnsworth Wohuz 2012/12/11 22:37:56
    Farnsworth
    I'm calling for a conservative, red state economic "union" against blue liberal states.
    Since it's impractical and unlikely for states to succeed, then form a economic "union"
  • Wohuz Farnsworth 2012/12/15 12:36:16
    Wohuz
    Article 1 Section 10, read the Constitution sometime!
  • Farnsworth Wohuz 2012/12/15 22:28:29
    Farnsworth
    since the federal government doesn't follow the law, why should the states. Do it anyway and tie it up in the court system.
  • Katherine Wohuz 2012/12/13 08:23:09
    Katherine
    +1
    Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
  • Wohuz Katherine 2012/12/13 08:57:52
    Wohuz
    +1
    Good luck "throwing off" the Government.
  • Farnsworth Wohuz 2012/12/15 22:29:52
    Farnsworth
    I guess we should listen since you wankers in the UK have let your government trample it's citizens for a lot longer than it has here.
  • Wohuz Farnsworth 2012/12/16 07:52:50
    Wohuz
    Th UK is just a puppet of the US.
  • Farnsworth Wohuz 2012/12/16 12:22:50
    Farnsworth
    Cool
  • Darkitec 2012/12/10 02:11:20
    Darkitec
    Couldn't we just force California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon and all of those microscopic north east states out of the current union and let them drown in their own over tax and over spend, crapulance? We would have a heck of a lot more money to spend if it wasn't being confiscated by Washington d.c. and spent on these liberal strong holds.
  • Dogman 2012/12/10 00:53:40
    Dogman
    I'm all for it. Most of the Red states take more from the federal government than they contribute, while most of the Blue states contribute more than they get back. We really don't need them. Let them fend for themselves.
  • evangelism_vision 2012/12/09 21:43:47
    evangelism_vision
    +6
    I would support any of those States in building a Conservative Union. It is got out of hand in this Country and yet the very first thing that needs to be fixed is the way we all vote.

Liberals will laugh and frankly I could care less if they do. They Election was not fair and much of the miss-guided reporting you can blame on the Liberal Left. Those who like the Liberal life will love liberal lies and openly embrace them. Good do so if you want but in your own Union and let us have ours.

Read the first 16 lines of the Declaration of independents The Founding Fathers knew that this very thing could happen and gave WE THE PEOPLE A MEANS TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

******************** HERE! I COPIED AND PASTED THAT SECTION BELOW FOR YOU

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than t...

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government.

Read more: http://www.revolutionary-war-...
  • evangel... evangel... 2012/12/09 21:46:02
    evangelism_vision
    +4
    THAT MY FRIENDS IS WHAT THE FOUNDING FATHERS DID! THE STARTED A NEW GOVERNMENT WITHOUT KING GEORGE.

It's time we as a Free People decide if we still want King Obama to rule us? If not, I stand with those States who want to form a New Union
  • Scalded... evangel... 2012/12/09 22:49:35
    Scalded Eagle
    +2
    I do not agree with the Santa form of elections, vote buying is out of control. I know we can do better in Texas and the other Red States.
  • misnomer58 evangel... 2012/12/10 21:59:25
    misnomer58
    (LOL)
  • evangel... misnomer58 2012/12/10 22:26:19
    evangelism_vision
    YOUR POINT? ASK ME IF I CARE? YOU WON'T OK I'LL TELL YOU.... I could care less what you think
  • misnomer58 evangel... 2012/12/11 00:26:26
    misnomer58
    You under the impression if you think...I mean, what you think matters much 'Evangelism_vision', to me? (tsk) Please, you "choose" to live your feeble, simple-minded life by a book. A book that was written by a bunch of foul men, to satisfy nothing more than unbridled leherous greed. it has been instrumental in carrying out the most evil atrocities against humanity.

BONA FIDE FACT: That holy book y'all evangelics worship is full of the very sins that were committed, it was forced on the Indigenous folks be for the, to take from them the land they called home. It was forced on the Indigenous folks of Africa, the Chattel Slave, brought to this country in chains. It matters not who sold who to whom, for no one was forced to use slavery, NO ONE. What matters is the way hideously vile tortoure these folks were subjected to in this stolen land of supposedly christian nation, for CENTURIES. It is nothing more than a pathetic shame that ANYONE could allow themself to be controlled by such eveilness of any man-made cult in this day & age.

My point? My point 'Evangelism_vision' is; I can give a rodent's heinie what any of them european troglodytes y'all jesus freaks refer to as founding fellas had to say.

http://www.probe.org/site/c.f...
  • evangel... misnomer58 2012/12/11 00:34:27
    evangelism_vision
    +1
    Not Just a Book but the Living and inspired Word of the Living God
  • evangel... misnomer58 2012/12/11 00:38:48
    evangelism_vision
    +1
    I noticed in your Profile that you did not have a quote but that you mainly study to Educate yourself. Then why not start at looking at the Bible you condemn which I bet you never read.
    And if you did, did you learn anything from it and apply it? The Bible I am willing to die to the death for. That's how Important it is to me.
    So call me simple minded if you chose, But Don't bother me. Only one thing matters in life and that is what a person does with Jesus. Everything else will some day be lost and forgotten
  • misnomer58 evangel... 2012/12/11 01:29:13
    misnomer58
    I was raised missionary baptist 'Evangelism_vision'. Which means; I was baptized by time I was 10-yrs old. I was in church at the very least twice a week, including twice on the first Sunday of every month. The first two weeks of every single summer vacations was dedicated to vaction bible school, when I turned 16-yrs I taught kinder-bible class to 5 - 7 years olds. I have read that good book from "In the beginning" to "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all" and every single word in between more times then I care to admit. But I can definitely hang with the big dawgs when it comes to spewing book:chapter & verse.

I first started questioning that book back when I was 13-years old. But it wasn't until I went to college and took a couple of summer courses that sparked the drive to find out my personal heritage in this might empire that I learned the simple truth of both my mother's peep (Choctaw Nation) and my father's peep (charokee & African-American).

So, until YOU or anyone else can prove to me without a shadow of doubt, that good book was written by the hands of GOD himself - and I ain't talkin' none of that "inspired" bullwaste either - than that there book of good readin' will remain shelved right behind 'Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' and right before 'Catch 22' (hard copy) where it rightfully belongs.
  • evangel... misnomer58 2012/12/11 01:51:46
    evangelism_vision
    +1
    By your own words you Prove Bible prophecy and that you are APOSTATE as in the last days that talks about those who will depart from the faith giving heed to spirits and having their ears itched.

Because you are a False Believer if you claim that the bible was written by Evil Men. YOU CALL GOD A LIAR AND YOU YOURSELF ARE OF YOUR FATHER THE DEVIL

I do not say this the Word of God condemns you
  • gsusgod 2012/12/09 19:40:04
    gsusgod
    Ich erinnere mich an eine Zeit, als es noch eine sehr konservative Gewerkschaft. Die Partei, wie es genannt wurde, lief alles. Es war Patriotismus und Pflichtgefühl für das Land, und niemand würde es wagen, gehen gegen diesen sehr nationalistischen Idealen. Schließlich begannen sie backen nicht-ethnische Juden, um ihre Loyalität gegenüber der Partei zu demonstrieren. Das ist, wenn amerikanische Idealisten eingreifen musste. Ich bin natürlich über den Zweiten Weltkrieg gesprochen. Adolf Hitler war ein gläubiger Katholik. Was? Ja! Das Führer war ein Christ und verbrannten Menschen am Leben?? Deutlich seine convservative Gewerkschafter Ideale waren das Beste für die Welt (Sarkasmus stillschweigend)! Lasst uns nicht auf die Vergangenheit hin und wieder schauen eine Weile, während wir marschieren in die Zukunft, im Gleichschritt, während das Schlagen der selben Schritt gegen die gleiche Bibel, der Klang des Krieges Trommel. Frieden kommt nie am Ende einer Waffe oder von jemanden davon auszuschließen.

Guess'I shoulda posted dis'in texan... betta lerns me soma dat real quik like.. yep...

~trc
  • Maltilda gsusgod 2012/12/10 02:49:50 (edited)
    Maltilda
    +1
    It's just that our labor unions are NOT ultra-conservative. They are socialist. They want Government control of business in order to insure total benefit to the worker regardless of the success or survival of their employer. Actually...sounds more Communist. It has no relation to what happened in Germany. And here, there are plenty of US who are willing to rise against government control and defend our Constitution. It is the nature in us that built this country in the first place. Hitler was raised Catholic as all were raised in some sort of religion at the time. But he forsaked it. To the depths of his soul he did. Here, Conservative patriotism is defending the Constitution, NOT OBAMA, not LIBERALISM, which is so in bed with the Communist agenda it is disgusting.

Most recent example:

twinkie union protest
  • Katherine Maltilda 2012/12/13 08:41:47
    Katherine
    Hitler created the Nazi union German Labour Front (DAF)
    and created the first labor day on May 1st 1933.

nazi  union  volkswagen
    nazi union symbol

So having a choice to join a union or not join a union
    makes one a National Socialist, does it?
  • Katherine gsusgod 2012/12/13 08:28:24 (edited)
  • Katherine Katherine 2012/12/13 08:29:01 (edited)
    Katherine
    PART 2 OF 6

Hitler had assumed control of Germany in 1933. In July of that same year, he began not only persecuting Jews but also Christians. He infiltrated the German Evangelical Federation (the Lutheran Church), removing leaders who were opposed to his agenda. Many of these ministers died in concentration camps or prisons, like the famous Deitrich Bonhoffer. The persecution was even more intense for the Catholic Church. Gestapo agents attended Mass and listened to every homily preached, prepared to arrest any priest attacking or criticizing the regime. Chanceries were searched for any "incriminating" documents. Communication with Rome was limited. Nazi propaganda represented the Church as unpatriotic and hoarding wealth with clerics portrayed as idle and avaricious.

1. The National Reich's Church of Germany categorically claims the exclusive right and the exclusive power to control all churches within the borders of the Reich; it declares these to be national churches
    2. The German people must not serve the National Reich Church. The National Reich Church is absolutely and exclusively in the service of but one doctrine: race and nation.
    3. The field of activity of the National Reich Church will expand to the limits of Germany's territorial and colonial possessions.
    ...

PART 2 OF 6

4. The National Reich Church does not force any German to seek membership therein. The Church will do everything within its power to secure the adherence of every German soul. Other churches or similar communities and unions particularly such as are under international control or management cannot and shall not be tolerated in Germany.
    5. The National Reich Church is determined to exterminate irrevocably and by every means the strange and foreign Christian faiths imported into Germany in the ill-omened year 800.
    6. The existing churches may not be architecturally altered, as they represent the property of the German nation, German culture and to a certain extent the historical development of the nation. As property of the German nation, they are not only to be valued but to be preserved.
    7. The National Reich Church has no scribes, pastors, chaplains or priests but National Reich orators are to speak in them.
    8. National Reich Church services are held only in the evening and not in the morning. These services are to take place on Saturday's with solemn illumination.
    9. In the National Reich Church German men and women, German youths and girls will acknowledge God and his eternal works.
    10. The National Reich Church irrevocably strives for complete union with the state. It must obey the state as one of its servants. As such, it demands that all landed possessions of all churches and religious denominations be handed over to the state. It forbids that in future churches should secure ownership of even the smallest piece of German soil or that such be ever given back to them. Not the churches conquer and cultivate land and soil but exclusively the German nation, the German state.
    11. National Reich Church orators may never be those who today emphasize with all tricks and cunning verbally and in writing the necessity of maintaining and teaching of christianity in Germany; they not only lie to themselves but also the German nation, goaded by their love of the positions they hold and the sweet bread they eat.
    12. National Reich Church orators hold office, government officials under Civil Service rules.
    13. The National Reich Church demands immediate cessation of the publishing and dissemination of the Bible in Germany as well as the publication of Sunday papers, pamphlets, publications and books of a religious nature.
    14. The National Reich Church has to take severe measures in order to prevent the Bible and other christian publications being imported into Germany.
    15. The National Reich Church declares that to it, and therefore to the German nation, it has been decided that the Fuhrer's "Mein Kampf" is the greatest of all documents. It is conscious that this book contains and embodies the purest and truest ethics for the present and future life of our nation.
    16. The National Reich Church has made it its sacred duty to use all its energy to popularize the coeternal "Mein Kampf" and to let every German live and complete his life according to this book.
    17. The National Reich Church demands that further editions of this book, whatever form they may take, be in content and pagination exactly similar to the present popular edition.
    18. The National Reich Church will clear away from its altars all crucifixes, Bibles and pictures of Saints.
    19. On the altars there must be nothing but "Mein Kampf", which is to the German nation and therefore to God the most sacred book, and to the left of the altar a sword.
    20. The National Reich Church speakers must during church services propound this book to the congregation to the best of their knowledge and ability.
    21. The National Reich Church does not acknowledge forgiveness of sins. It represents the standpoint which it will always proclaim that a sin once committed will be ruthlessly punished by the honorable and indestructible laws of nature and punishment will follow during the sinner's lifetime.
    22. The National Reich Church repudiates the christening of German children, particularly the christening with water and the Holy Ghost.
    23. The parents of a child (or if a new born child) must only take the German oath before the altar which is worded as follows: The man: "In the name of God I take this Holy oath that I the father of this child, and my wife, are of proven Aryan descent. As a father, I agree to bring up this child in the German spirit and as a member of the German race". The women: "In the name of God I take this Holy oath that I (name) bore my husband a child and that I its mother am of proven Aryan descent. As a mother, I swear to bring up this child in the German spirit and as a member of the German race". The German diploma can only be issued to newly born children on the strength of the German oath.
    24. The National Reich Church abolishes confirmation and religious education as well as the communion the religious preparation for the communion. The educational institutions are and remain the family, the schools, the German youth, the Hitler youth, and the Union of German girls.
    25. In order that school graduation of our German youth be given an especially solemn character, all churches must put themselves at the disposal of German youth, the Hitler youth and the Union of German girls on the day of the state's youth which will be on the Friday before Easter. On this day the leaders of these organizations exclusively may speak.
    26. The marriage ceremony of German men and women will consist of taking an oath of faithfulness and placing the right hand on the sword. There will not be any unworthy kneeling in National Reich Church ceremonies.
    27. The National Reich Church declares the tenth day before Whit Sunday to be the national holiday of the German family.
    28. The National Reich Church rejects the customary day of prayer and atonement. It demands that this be transferred to the holiday commemorating the laying of the foundation stone of the National Reich Church.
    29. The National Reich Church will not tolerate the establishment of any new clerical religious insignia.
    30. On the day of its foundation, the Christian cross must be removed from all churches, cathedrals and chapels within the Reich and its colonies and it must be superseded by the only unconquerable symbol of Germany the "Hakenkreuz" (swastika).
  • Katherine Katherine 2012/12/13 08:29:58 (edited)
    Katherine
    PART 3 OF 6

In view of the controversy that later surrounded the Concordat, Pacelli always argued that the Church had to accept the lesser of the two evils presented to it. Without the agreement, Catholics would have been left to the mercy of SA, SS and Gestapo hit squads. With the agreement, they at least had legal grounds on which to protest injustices. The Secretary of State was realistic enough to remark to a British Embassy official he understood perfectly that attacks on Catholics would not cease, but "they will hardly break all the articles at the same time." The Nazis may have heard Pacelli's opinions, but if so, paid little attention. An "Editors' Law" promulgated in December 1933 struck directly at free speech. All editors were required to become members of the Literary Chamber of the Third Reich and follow whatever directives might follow. In tandem with this gagging act, government censorship began to tighten relentlessly. Even individual typewriters could be impounded on the whim of local Nazi functionaries and as a result, a partial blackout fell on what was happening inside Germany.

In spite of the growing atmosphere of intimidation and fear, protests were made by senior clerics who challenged the Third Reich and its racist, anti-Semitic and anti-Christian...

PART 3 OF 6

In spite of the growing atmosphere of intimidation and fear, protests were made by senior clerics who challenged the Third Reich and its racist, anti-Semitic and anti-Christian policies. These included Bishop Clemens Count von Galen of Munster, Archbishop von Preysing of Berlin, Cardinal Bertram of Breslau, Cardinal Schulte of Cologne and possibly the most famous of all, Cardinal Michael von Faulhaber of Munich. His series of Advent sermons, preached from the pulpit of St. Michael's Church, aroused national and international interest. They proved so popular that thousands listened, with overflows into the streets outside. In the first of the sermons, preached on December 3 1933, Faulhaber defended Christianity by defending the people from whom it sprung: the Jews. He reminded the congregation that Christianity made no racial distinctions but asked only that its adherents should possess faith.

In March 1934, the published edition of his sermons, Judaism, Christianity and 'Germanism' was banned for its so-called outrageous slanders on the State. Faulhaber, undeterred, pressed on with denunciations of Nazi policy on Catholic schools, youth organisations, rigged elections, sterilisation laws, attacks on the Pope and attempts to replace Christianity with what he called 'ersatz' (fake) religious principles.

In another sketch, published by Der Stürmer in 1934, a Jew, standing before a picture of Christ on the cross, says: "We have killed him, we have ridiculed him, but we are still defended by his Church." [...] To give an idea of what the Nazis thought of Catholics, Löw presents an SS report, which states: "It is indisputable that the Catholic Church in Germany is decisively opposed to the governmental policy of opposition to Hebrew power. As a consequence, it carries out work in support of Jews, helps them flee, uses all means to support them in daily life, and facilitates their illegitimate stay in the Reich. The people in charge of this task enjoy the full support of the episcopate and do not hesitate to take away from Germans, including German children, the little food they have, to give it to Jews."

Training guilds, such as the Prussian Master Craftsman Association, announced that from 1935 onwards, only those enrolled in Nazi Party organisations would be accepted as apprentices. German Railways, employing hundreds of thousands, passed a similar ordinance the same year. Even farmers began issuing notices to the same effect, with shops advertising part-time jobs following suit.

"The days of the Cross are counted. We must deliver the German nation from the pernicious influence of Christianity." ~ Ludendorff, 1935

"In a certain sense National Socialism is religion, for it does not require its partisans to be convinced of the rightness of its teachings but to believe in it." - Paul Schnabel, 7/04/1935

The most important strand of Nazi policy was, essentially, to strangle Catholicism by eliminating all organisations supported by the Church, from schools and children's groups to Catholic Trade Unions. (By 1939, this had been largely accomplished.) Replacing them were National Socialist or "Community Schools", the workers Labour Front and the Hitler Youth with its female counterpart, The League of German Girls. One initial campaign against Catholic schools in Munich reduced the percentage of students attending from 84% in 1934 to 65% a year later. (1935)

The Vatican, seeking accurate information, found helpers in unusual quarters. A large and unrecognised army of witnesses passed along secret reports and documents. This ad hoc Catholic intelligence grapevine had, as one of its leaders, Dr. Joseph Mueller, an anti-Nazi Munich lawyer known for his coolness and dependability. As an officer in the Abwehr (Military Counter-Intelligence), he was able to move freely between Munich, Berlin and Rome. In his Abwehr bag he carried sheaves of documents giving a detailed account of the campaign being waged against Catholics inside Germany, and, after the Anschluss of 1938, in Austria. It was clear from Mueller's documentation that clergy were being singled out for ridicule, humiliation and punishment. The famous 'Currency' and 'Immorality' trials which peaked in 1935 and 1936, resulted in the imprisonment and fining of hundreds of clergy.

The 'Immorality' trials sought to destroy the reputation of Catholic religious, aimed in particular at those working in primary and secondary schools. Priests, monks, lay-brothers and nuns were accused of "perverted and immoral" lifestyles — euphemisms for homosexuality and paedophilia. The Gestapo set numerous traps in order to furnish bogus evidence. The New York Times carried a report in May 1936 describing priests who had been summoned to hotel rooms after desperate messages to administer the last sacraments were received. When the priest entered, the 'caller' would turn out to be a prostitute, planted by government agents. Photos would be later produced in court as irrefutable evidence of corruption. One notorious trial in 1936 concerned the Franciscans of the Rhineland town of Waldbreitbach. This was widely publicised and parents were warned in sanctimoniously penned editorials not to allow their children to enter Catholic schools if they wished to avoid corruption of the innocent. Even children themselves were encouraged to read the lurid accounts. In several cities, newspaper stands were purposely lowered so youngsters could read salacious and pornographic stories accompanied by cartoons in the pages of Der Stuermer (the newspaper controlled by Julius Streicher, notorious anti-Semite and anti-Catholic). Witness statements from children were produced in court by secret police whose testimony was not challengeable. Threats, bribes, brutal night-time interrogations and nervous breakdowns of the accused were reported in various newspapers outside Germany. In the USA, protest meetings and marches were organised as news of the trials spread. In June 1936, a petition was signed by 48 clergymen. "We lodge a solemn protest against the almost unique brutality of the attacks launched by the German government charging Catholic clergy with gross immorality," they wrote. "The good name of the Catholic priesthood is to be defamed, in the hope that the ultimate suppression of all Jewish and Christian beliefs by the totalitarian state can be effected." This protest was signed by Rabbis Samuel Abrams of Boston, Philip Bernstein of Rochester and Philip Bookstaber of Harrisburg, along with 18 other Rabbis and 27 Protestant clergymen.

The cumulative effect of these measures hit teachers in some Catholic schools very hard. A councillor of the Bavarian Ministry of Education announced that in 1936 alone, of 1,600 teaching posts formerly awarded to nuns, 600 would be transferred to secular staff. The councillor didn't explain what would happen to the employment prospects of the unfortunate 600. The economic effects of such enforced redundancy caused many religious houses to close down and nuns with academic qualifications were driven into low-paid occupations. Some returned to their parents or moved in with sympathetic relatives. Yet others applied for jobs in industry.

On occasions harassment could be disguised or even halted if a propaganda coup might thus be gained. In August 1936, for example, during the Olympic Games in Berlin, orders were given to stop measures against Jews, Catholics and Protestants and to hide show trials from the eyes of foreign journalists. The pause soon ended once the correspondents left Germany.

2014/09/18 01:39:41