Would you support food aid bill that would end direct payments to farmers and replacing them with subsidized insurance programs for when the weather turns bad or prices go south?

bob 2012/06/04 15:09:44
I would support food aid bill that would end direct payments to farmers and replacing them with subsidized insurance programs for when the weather turns bad or prices go south
I would not support food aid bill that would end direct payments to farmers and replacing them with subsidized insurance programs for when the weather turns bad or prices go south
I think

• Bud 2012/06/04 20:43:50
    Bud
    +6
    End any and all subsidies on every commodity (including fuels) and especially end the government meddling in any activity that is best left to the private sector. Government should not be running any businesses, what government should do is get the hell out of our lives and let us alone!

Bud

• Brosia 2012/06/30 00:57:51
    I would support food aid bill that would end direct payments to farmers and r...
    Brosia
    It would help avoid rich people getting money from the government simply because they own a working farm.
  • Red 2012/06/09 06:42:04
  • beach bum 2012/06/08 03:57:21
    I think
    beach bum
    it is up to the farmer to decide...farming is hard work
  • bob beach bum 2012/06/08 21:26:59
  • Posha King 2012/06/07 21:11:15
    I would not support food aid bill that would end direct payments to farmers a...
    Posha King
    +1
    NO MORE REGULATION/SUBSIDIZING/INCENT... Let the people decide what they want, will pay for it and how often they will buy!! For hell's sake, stop trying to nudge and direct and control and incentivize people. If farmers can't live on what they make, they'll have to change careers like the rest of us. I've lived on a farm for years and worked it. I know how hard it is. I know how market pricing affects what that hard work is worth. But farmers also know what moving away from the tariff system has cost them. If enough people are inconvenienced and farms are shaken to the core, the rest of the country will see how these policies affect them and maybe we will become more active in our own government to correct their overreaching and mismanagement.

Benjamin Franklin said: I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed…that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”

As a person raised in a state that made being on welfare very unpleasant, it is the truest thing I've ever heard. I've got my own business and provide fo...

As a person raised in a state that made being on welfare very unpleasant, it is the truest thing I've ever heard. I've got my own business and provide for me and mine with almost no help from any public agency or charity. We do use a state offered reduced price health insurance, but we pay our taxes that support this service, so I feel no guilt. This is the real incentive people need. Make poverty unpleasant or downright ugly and they will leave in droves!
    +1
    we know how well the insurance companies work when it comes to screwing over people
  • HooplaHoopla 2012/06/06 00:28:50
    I think
    HooplaHoopla
    +1
    They grow our food. They deserve money AND insurance if they do a good job.
  • J 2012/06/05 19:38:28
    I think
    J
    +1
    We have got to take measures to keep our agriculture industry alive. Sometimes those "handouts" are necessary to not only keep the farmers in business, but to make produce more affordable.

I do believe that we are handing money out too freely and some restrictions need to be held. For starters, I would cut any and all subsidies to farms that are owned and/or managed by non-US interests. If they have the funds to put a farmer/farm family out of business, they should be able to manage on their own - or sell back to a US farmer.

And I would change the rules that pay our famers for and pay for shipping excess crops to nations that don't pay for shipping OR the crop - because we give it away at tax-payer expense. Let those nations buy or barter for it.
  • Andy Fletcher 2012/06/05 15:44:53
    I think
    Andy Fletcher
    +2
    End subsidies and definitely make farmers provide their own insurance.

SUBSIDIES:
    My grandfather was a cattle rancher. He had several thousand acres, most of it not really suited for cultivation. Every year the county extension agent would come by and tell him to plant so much of this and so much of that, and then next year we will pay you to NOT grow that crop. He made millions off of that. The only thing he was interested in growing was feed for the cattle. So he grew his hay and alfalfa, which he was going to grow anyway, and got paid to not grow corn or wheat or rutabagas on the same land he only ever planned to grow feed on.

INSURANCE:
    PRICES: See the above. Every enterprise we engage in is basically a gamble. Know your market or stay out of it.

WEATHER: Again, a gamble. I see it here in Oklahoma every year. Oh no the drought is killing the wheat. They refuse to irrigate. Screw you, you don't want to make sure the crop you choose to grow will grow, don't expect the rest of us to pay for your risk. Oh no, we got too much rain it's ruining the wheat crop. Hmm, it's too dry then it's too wet. Maybe the truth of the matter is that Oklahoma's climate isn't suited for growing wheat.
  • J Andy Fl... 2012/06/05 19:46:37
    J
    +1
    You are so wrong - I used to work for the County Agent. They don't PAY for anything. They are the RESEARCH AND EDUCATION part of the USDA. They could tell him what would be best to plant, when, how, etc, but they wouldn't give monies. Conservation pays most for NOT growing crops. But, for "insurance" payouts, Farm Services Agency (another division of the USDA) will take care of you. They also guarantee farm loans when other financial institutions turn you down.

And you are right about Oklahoma and wheat - well certain areas. There is something, however, that will grow just about anywhere if you tend it properly. But, even then there are some circumstances you can't prevent. And contrary to popular belief, it doesn't usually get too hot or too dry to make a corp, but (like) when we all want lots of rain in the summer, it can be horrible for cotton.
  • Andy Fl... J 2012/06/05 20:17:27
    Andy Fletcher
    They told him a minimal amount of what crop to grow so that he could get paid to NOT grow that crop the next year. Sorry, but it's a fact. Was it presented in those exact terms, no, of course not. THAT would have been illegal. But it still happened, and the design was to keep from having surpluses and stabilize prices. There may have been some radical changes to the way it all plays out. I seem to recall there were "reforms" during the Reagan administration. Doesn't change the fact that it occurred.

The government should not be providing insurance to cover crops, natural disaster or otherwise. They don't provide insurance for the electrical contractors I work for.

As to your entire last paragraph, is that NOT what I said? Does excessive moisture on wheat cause mold or not? It all depends on when it rains and what stage of development the kernels are in, correct? I can only tell you what I have heard over my 11 years in Oklahoma on that subject, and I have. That tells me that wheat is NOT a good crop for Oklahoma, and the government should not be subsidizing the farmers risk with my tax dollars. I don't get my risk minimized if I should choose to go to a casino.
  • J Andy Fl... 2012/06/05 20:58:20
    J
    As much as I would hate to, I could live without electricity; I can NOT live without food.
  • Andy Fl... J 2012/06/05 21:34:08
    Andy Fletcher
    Sorry, I don't get the correlation, at least not as it applies to this discussion.
    I think
    +1
    Subsidies should end. Period
  • Andy 2012/06/05 12:31:36
    Andy
    +2
    Farmers should be paid for what they produce... not for what they Don't produce. We need to honor those that work and try to help the country...not those that just vote "Present"
  • Ian 2012/06/05 06:16:03
    Ian
    We have something like this in Europe, and up to a point i understand.One thing i cant understand is that we compensate farmers when weather,and prices go bad.
    I have, and i suppose you know a load of builders when the weather goes bad and the brickwork or blockwork shell is not up they cant do nothing, till the cold or the rain goes.
    Has for prices, they are down in my region by about 25% to 30%.
    So if farmers have a right to compensation, when the weather goes bad and the prices goes south.
    Cant lay bricks when its too cold,cant brick in the rain,(you can get scaffold and cover the house with a watrerproof membrane) but this costs a lot to hire or buy.
    Cant plaster when its to warm,cant use cranes when its to windy,machinery getting bogged down because rain.
    Cant thatch when it rainning, cant felt and batten a roof when it rainning, paint,lay turf.
    I have asked some of my friends who are builders to take this point to the European Parliment, and explain that Farmers are getting compenastion when weather goes bad, why cant we, and the weather does have a very adverse affect on the building.
    If it is right to pay farmers, why would it be wrong to pay construction firms, building firms, perhaps the bill would be to big.
    It would be very interesting if someone took this to the E...
    It would be very interesting if someone took this to the European courts, and asked the judges to ponder this point.
    They would make their decision that farmers are getting paid compensation, why would we say no to builders and construction workers when the weather has, and does have have a effect on their earnings.
  • J Ian 2012/06/05 19:48:03
    J
    You can survive without brick, you can even live with a roof that is leaking, but you can NOT live without food!
  • Ian J 2012/06/05 20:30:19
    Ian
    You are missing my point, its the legality of paying a industry, while then not paying another industry.
    A friend of mine is a stone mason, 51 days out of 70 lost through rain.
    The place where they made all that machinery for the farms, all the seed, was built by construction firms, the farms were built by builders.
    That all i am saying is that,unless something is done to pay compensation to trades which are affected by rain, we will not have these trades left.
    Why should a person do bricklaying, plastering, roofers, and other trades when the weather can and will have such a adverce effect on their wages.
  • JoLost Ian 2012/06/06 00:15:43
    JoLost
    Exactly...Why would someone choose a trade that can not sustain their needs unless there was a welfare program that paid them to do nothing, in this case posed as "subsidizing" in the event of weather or market failings. .,

Good attempt at trying to make the working man the benefactor when we all know here in he US, we have State and Federal tax payer/employer funded unemployment insurance that subsidizes the underemployed and unemployed in such events.
  • Ian JoLost 2012/06/06 06:10:24 (edited)
    Ian
    In the UK these builders and subcontract trades do not get anything from the welfare, they just have to wait till the weather breaks and get the job done.
    I do think the welfare system is not working, a person who wants a bit of help just till the weather breaks gets nothing, while a bum who does not want to work and does nothing gets help!
    I know people who have been on welfare for the last 30 years, they still do cash jobs, the system was set up for those who were out of work, for years now it has been abused.
  • JoLost Ian 2012/06/06 06:43:59
    JoLost
    Que sera, sera... Guess those who choose to work in a field that can not sustain their needs should hang up their trowels and store their shovels and find a couch while waiting for their welfare check in the UK or BUY their own insurance policies for when they are unable to work.

I still vote no on subsidizing.
  • Ian JoLost 2012/06/06 06:55:55
    Ian
    What insurance plan, they cant say i am going to lose 42 days through bad weather they cant do that.
    But what they should be allowed to do is to put the weather against their profits, at the end of the year.
    I again point out that builders and subcontrctors to not get welfare while they are working or waiting for the weather to break.
    No then to subsidies, but it should be no to all.
    +3
    Much of the misunderstanding about the direct payment program is that it is a give away to big agri business. They make billions on not producing a thing.
  • Ian sjalan 2012/06/05 06:31:19
    Ian
    Well done, in the UK the EU pay farmers not to do nothing with their fields, if i was going to buy a farm i would have to ask the EU what i can plant, if i wanted to grow my own crops i would have to prove that i can sell it.
    When i was young, i used to walk throug fields of potatos,kale,swedes,turnips, and a load of others.Those same fields are now green.
    Vast swathes of land in the UK is green,the A40 from Llandovery to London i remember going on that road and seeing potatos,kale,wheat, barley,rye,then seeing tulips in red, violets,and yellow.
    Took that same road because i had to do a few other call on the way, very few crops but plenty of green fields.
    Farmers should grow a commercial viable crop, if they cant grow nothing on it why shoud we pay the farmer not to use it.
  • Jeff Smith 2012/06/05 03:09:15
  • RicardoCabeza 2012/06/04 23:35:33
    RicardoCabeza
    +1
    Giving Subsidies to Mom and Pop Farmers ( not ADM or Con Agra etc ) benefits local communities as the real dollar multiplier effect is 7 to one, and it is better (in relevant measures) than any other kind of strategic spending as it benefits long and short term... Opponents of greenbelt farm subsidies are frequently either in the pockets of the Agra conglomerate groups or outright enemies of the USA... You know who you are...
  • no no 2012/06/04 23:32:01
    no no
    +1
    Let farmers/ agra businesses buy their own. No subsidies in any shape form or fashion, or any disguised as such. But not only to farmers and agra business but to all.
  • 4dc no no 2012/06/04 23:36:37
    4dc
    exactly, to ALL
  • Ricardo... no no 2012/06/04 23:39:57
    RicardoCabeza
    +1
    You are opening the doors to food shortages and exposing further erosion of farm land being seized upon by foreign corporations... the greatest threat to the American people is the effect of foreign control of food and agricultural production, I am pro business, pro market but there are many issues that cannot be eroded without destroying strategic components such as the control over food and its price.
  • no no Ricardo... 2012/06/06 13:48:54
    no no
    The comment was addressing the question. The issue that was raised, subsidies and insurance. There was nothing about favoring the enactment of subsequent legislation to protect American agra business. That would be another issue or question to be addressed by itself.
  • Ricardo... no no 2012/06/07 05:49:52
    RicardoCabeza
    No, ending subsidies to Farmers will create the same dynamic... and will only allow the multinational conglomerates to seize upon more farmland... so yes, it is the same and no it is a bad idea....
  • no no Ricardo... 2012/06/13 14:21:17
    no no
    Obviously at different levels of interpretation and exchange of ideas..happens frequently on limited forums such as this. Again, the issue you raised is what can be addressed in subsequent legislation.
  • Ricardo... no no 2012/06/14 03:46:46
    RicardoCabeza
    The issue should be at the top of legislation, to get things correct on the first attempt.. if you a re going to chop the head from the Hydra you should get it done with the first swing.
  • no no Ricardo... 2012/06/20 16:43:53
    no no
    +1
    And I agree, thought that is what I was saying. better use of concomitant rather than subsequent legislation that would be attached to or part of any repeal, etc.
  • J no no 2012/06/05 19:53:27 (edited)
    J
    And let what, all the farms fall in the hands of the Germans (not immigrants) or Indians (from India) or Canadians, etc. There needs to be some way to keep our food supplies adequate and keep our farm families from all selling out to foreign interests.

I do favor limits and aiding smaller farmers over larger ones. But I would support a bill that said NO foreign farm (owned or managed) would be given ANY subsidies. Then perhaps we could get them back in the hands of US farmers.
  • no no J 2012/06/06 13:50:05
    no no
    See above comment to Ricardo
  • Ricardo... J 2012/06/07 06:10:07
    RicardoCabeza
    +1
    More Like the Chinese who will remove every last scrap of food from the US market, it is kind of funny the idiots at the USDA and the traitors in the Congress will pay out top dollar to grope old ladies and children in the name of national security but will turn around and allow the wolves into the strategic resources of the US wholesale only because they grease their pockets and consciences with graft... Traitors...
  • Seriously Folks 2012/06/04 21:05:51
    Seriously Folks
    All of the Waste and expenditures NEED TO BE LOOKED at by Republicans instead of those Programs that will hurt Average Citizens just to Protect the Rich and Corporations.
  • bob Serious... 2012/06/04 21:34:15
    bob
    Yea The Republicans don't want to hurt aids to their farms, they only want to hurt the Democratic Farmers
  • Serious... bob 2012/06/04 23:04:35
    Seriously Folks
    Not sure I understand your response.

2014/10/21 02:42:11