Would you stop using your credit cards if you got charged a fee for every purchase?

Fox Report with Shepard Smith 2013/01/24 22:49:10
Back in August, we reported that "you could soon be faced with a stark choice: pay a lower price or use your credit cards" in many bricks-and-mortar and online stores. At the end of January 2013, that prediction is set to become a reality for many as a result of a settlement reached between merchants, and a number of major banks and payment networks.

Up until now, merchants have been banned from charging extra for processing credit card transactions, even though these typically cost them in "swipe" fees anything between 1.5 and 3% of the value of a sale. That money is collected by payment networks (American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa), which keep a bit of it, but remit most on to credit card companies.

The settlement, signed on Nov. 9, frees merchants to pass on that cost -- though only precisely that cost -- at the checkout to a consumer paying with a credit card or a charge card, but not a debit card.

credit card money

Read More: http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/1...

• John 2013/01/30 22:31:12
    John
    I said yes,but I would still use them at businesses that do not charge and I would avoid as much as possible the places that did charge.
  • Gregaj7 2013/01/30 20:10:48
    While they've hidden their charges much better, this effort has been going on for decades.
  • garyt212 2013/01/30 19:29:22
    garyt212
    Probably yes.
  • moiraregis 2013/01/30 18:33:36
    moiraregis
    +1
    this stone has given its last drop of blood to ever-rising costs in an ever-shrinking economy. hey, management--give workers a raise already! i haven't had one in seven years, and neither has anyone else where i work.
  • twhitin... moiraregis 2013/02/01 03:27:44
    twhiting9275
    And, just what have you done to deserve a raise?
    Showing up for work day in and day out doesn't count
    Clocking in at 9, leaving at 5 doesn't count
    If you want a raise, get out there and make yourself seen, make yourself known. Don't just sit behind a nametag (or a desk) and do nothing. That's what EVERYONE else does
  • Steve 2013/01/30 17:47:35
    Steve
    +2
    I already stopped. Debit only.
  • JROD 2013/01/30 17:30:33
    JROD
    I do not have a credit card and do not plan on getting one, EVER! But if I did have one and was being charged every time I use it then I sure as hell would find a different way to buy the things I wanted or needed or I just wouldn't buy whatever it is I was going to buy.
  • Seonag 2013/01/30 14:06:02
    Seonag
    +1
    We use our Debit card (not subject to this charge) at brick and mortar stores, but we do use the credit card for online purchases. If merchants decide to pass on the costs, we will shop elsewhere because I can't see any of them dropping their already jacked-up price to cover that cost.
  • susiequest 2013/01/30 10:43:56
    susiequest
    Yeah for me I have no credit cards. If I cannot pay cash for it then I do not need it..
  • twhitin... susiequest 2013/02/01 03:28:39
    twhiting9275
    +1
    in some cases, that's unreasonable, which is why banks allow customers to use debit cards, pretty much the same thing.
  • susiequest twhitin... 2013/02/01 18:37:52
    susiequest
    This is truth although it is legal tender for all debts public and private some places just will not take cash. Many hotels and motels will not which to me is so wrong if I was in fear and needed a room with my children and all I had was cash they still will not take your money. I have also been charged on my debit at motels for services not used it is always returned only because I bitch but I am sure there are people who don't pay attention to this little cent here and there or just do not want to go through the hassle so the let the motel/hotels win.
  • twhitin... susiequest 2013/02/02 08:02:41
    twhiting9275
    Oh, a hotel will take your cash. You just have to have a debit (or credit) card.
    I was referring more to something like buying a car, a TV, a computer, some other big ticket items that typically run you $1k+ . You aren't going to just walk around with that kind of cash in your pocket, not in today's society.
  • WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB 2013/01/30 09:36:01
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    Interestingly enough, got rid of all my credit cards years ago.
  • SteveMarine- JLA 2013/01/30 06:15:50 (edited)
    SteveMarine- JLA
    +1
    Arent we charged a fee anyways? Interest...fees. I meant yes. Oh and I don't use them anyways.
  • twhitin... SteveMa... 2013/02/01 03:29:40
    twhiting9275
    The stores don't see those fees.
    The banks aren't the ones tacking on the fees, the stores are, because they're losing money on these. Essentially those who pay with cash are paying the fees for those that pay with card.
  • Ozymandias 2013/01/30 05:47:15
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2013/01/30 05:11:39
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +2
    I have already cut up all our credit cards. We don't use credit cards anymore.
  • SteveMa... Nam Era... 2013/01/30 06:17:08
    SteveMarine- JLA
    +1
    Don't blame you bro. Hope yall are well. Always nice to hear from you. Email any time.
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2013/01/30 05:03:39
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    I STOPPED SHOPPING 6, 7 YEARS AGO because I was BROKE, NOW,

I'm STILL BROKE.
  • Whyputaname 2013/01/30 04:27:29
    Whyputaname
    +1
    But, I don't have anything to worry about because I don't live in a state that allows it..

Even at that, if you don't have the cash don't buy it.. That means you can't afford it..
  • sneekyfoot 2013/01/30 03:31:12
    sneekyfoot
    +1
    I dont use them much anyway
  • TheR 2013/01/30 03:15:10
    TheR
    +1
    I got rid of all credit cards years ago. They are a scam. They sqew real economic data, and destroy confidence in the markets. People rely on credit instead of real production, and earnings. They are a cancer to society.

Credit cards in my opinion are really welfare handouts, except you have to pay it back. But most people simply payback by using credit, and increase their own private debt ceilings, just like the government does.
  • sundance 2013/01/30 02:27:52
    sundance
    Like anyone is really going to stop using credit cards. The average holder is over five thousand in debt, and depends on their card to live. So, we are going to just stop.... Really?...Just a thought...
  • mind-pilot 2013/01/30 00:33:28
    mind-pilot
    +1
    I thought I had been paying fees in interest fees.
    If they are just going to nickle and dime me after we started using their system the way they designed, then, I will ABSOLUTELY stop using the card and they can dry up.
    These friggen banksters. If it isn't one thing it's another with them.
  • John mind-pilot 2013/01/30 22:39:07
    John
    +1
    It isn't the banks that will charge at the checkout stand, it's the merchant that charges. The banks wont get THAT money but you will still be charged interest by the bank unless you pay up completely every month.
  • mind-pilot John 2013/01/31 02:21:05
    mind-pilot
    +1
    You are absolutely right. It's the merchants who signed with the banks in order to improve their bottom lines. Then, it will be the merchants who will have to accept the "impulse purchases" will probably dwindle.
    You're right.
  • Becca 2013/01/30 00:24:21
    Becca
    +1
    We have already been seeing the fee. Just because its now clearer for us to see doesn't mean that it didn't exist before. What do you think a company does when it raises prices? It is compensating for something. This time we just get the clarity of seeing what one fee out of many is getting passed on to us.
  • Zepland 2013/01/29 23:13:10 (edited)
    Zepland
    This won't help boost the economy.
  • fallnhope 2013/01/29 23:02:52
    fallnhope
    +1
    I live in Texas.... so it's not passed to me, but I use my debit card as either... debit or credit and I'd still do it because sometimes it's just faster as a credit card. (And that is the only credit card I have)
  • Lefty-Lucy 2013/01/29 22:59:22
    Lefty-Lucy
    +1
    But dang, what a stupid policy! Ugh.
  • blumunofky 2013/01/29 22:56:04
    blumunofky
    +2
    Credit cards -- at least for me -- are mainly a convenience, but a really stupid ploy like this is going to harm the mail-order and on-line marketing word. Whether it's commerce, natural resources or just plain good will, it's eternally amazing just how disgustingly greedy people are.
  • garyhaywardcom 2013/01/29 22:42:03
    garyhaywardcom
    +1
    Not per se: depends on how much the charge is. Retailers and service providers already pay for the privilege of having merchant accounts with their banks, it's just that the cost is included in the price of the goods/services in the store/whatever, so the customer at the till pays anyway; it's just not explicit. Here, in the the UK, some mainly 'mom-and-pop' shops charge around 50p (about 75 US cents?) if your goods add to less than £5 (about US$7?) but you can then pay by alternative means if you have them (on you) or bump up your shopping cart value to over the minimum spend with something you're not out of but'll need soon anyway so avoid the charge. Someone, somewhere always has to pay for transactioning facilities and networks just like for anything else.
  • Tordgaard 2013/01/29 21:38:42
    Tordgaard
    +2
    I would absolutely be seeking out businesses that declined to charge this fee or use my debit card.
  • John Tordgaard 2013/01/30 22:45:28
    John
    That's my thought exactly. I'm sure there will be businesses that will not charge those fees and those places will probably boost their business by not charging.
  • Tordgaard John 2013/01/30 23:35:29
    Tordgaard
    Yes - I believe several large chains have already stated they won't be passing the cost onto their customers. I'd be inclined to tolerate some small mom-and-pop business that needed to recover the cost - but no major businesses.
  • John Tordgaard 2013/01/31 00:43:45
    John
    +1
    You are right. I too could tolerate the mom-and-pops charges.
  • Teri- Oregon 2013/01/29 20:34:53
    Teri- Oregon
    +2
    But I stopped playing the "Feed the bankers" game long ago I don't have credit cards anymore.
  • Emotive 2013/01/29 20:26:27
    Emotive
    +1
    i will do
  • viola 2013/01/29 20:25:36
    viola
    i don't have a credit card
  • John 2013/01/29 20:24:48
    John
    I would still use it but not as freely.

2014/11/28 05:57:14