Would you object to being served by a waitress who is transgender?

ABC News U.S. 2012/04/30 19:52:54
Related Topics: Transgender

• rocat 2012/04/30 21:03:03
    No. My only interest is in how I’m treated as a customer.
    rocat
    +15
    how would one know???

waiter..."what will it be?"

diner..."i'll have the chicken club...an iced tea,,,
    and a peek at your private parts"

seriously???

and before anyone claims they could tell...
    i have a very dear ladyfriend...
    who is often...constantly... called "sir"-
    i assure you...
    her vagina is a factory original-

• Alexander T Steward 2013/02/28 21:10:01
  • RawRsaurus 2012/06/21 03:38:34
    RawRsaurus
    I love the LGBT community.
  • RawRsaurus RawRsaurus 2012/09/16 21:24:51
    RawRsaurus
    +1
    true selves mildred brown

This is a must read for anyone wishing to better understand transgender issues. Who knows? Maybe even the most ignorant individual can learn a thing or two from the book.
  • John Duffee 2012/06/12 03:16:00
    John Duffee
    I don't care what the server looks like, so long as they are no so ugly that my appetite suffers as a consequence.
  • mandyinabox 2012/06/07 03:27:55
    mandyinabox
    Why should it even matter? @_@
  • Claise 2012/05/13 15:33:35
    Claise
    +1
    no, not at all
  • kimberly acoff 2012/05/12 05:36:08
    kimberly acoff
    Life is to shot to worry about such things. Get on with living and allowing others to live.
  • Marissa Yami 2012/05/05 02:18:45
    Marissa Yami
    +3
    It could never bother me, Carmen is a beautiful WOMAN.
    One: To all those ignorant enough to think transgending is something people just do, guess what? It isn't. I have a wonderful friend he's male to female transgender, he will be a gorgeous girl.
    ;and to those who don't know. Being a transgender isn't something you can help, you were born in the wrong body.

Second, how is being transgender anyone's business? Why are people so close minded?
    Please realize this is 2012 not the early 19 century.

Thank you.
  • Flowers 2012/05/03 15:37:14
    Flowers
    I don't see how that would effect my food, or my service. People who are "uncomfortable" with such trivial things are usually the same ugly (ugly personality not appearance) person who demeans a person for no damn reason.
  • The Impossible Girl ✿ 2012/05/03 15:35:51
  • jimbo999 2012/05/03 15:27:20
    jimbo999
    I don't care how different anybody is.
  • lucythetooth 2012/05/03 15:25:24
    lucythetooth
    +1
    Unless the person is broadcasting their transgender status, how would I even know? And as long as I get what I ordered how I ordered it, then I don't particularly care who my waitperson is.
  • Lew Ric... lucythe... 2012/05/03 18:46:18
    Lew Richards
    they seem dirty to me!! afterall that is my foodhandler!
  • lucythe... Lew Ric... 2012/05/03 19:09:09
    lucythetooth
    Actually, most of the 'food handling' happens in the kitchen by unseen personnel. The wait person just carries the food out to you on plates and they rarely if ever 'handle' any of it.
  • Christo... Lew Ric... 2012/05/05 03:40:25
    Christopher Bookkeeping
    you response reminds me of the movie/book "the help" wherein the racist white housewives who employed black maids (that handled their food btw) built separate bathrooms for "the help" for fear of disease from black people. It is incredible that in 2012 people can still be so incredibly ignorant. Oh and cooks in the kitchen are food handlers not waitresses.
  • azzyondeck@yahoo.com 2012/05/03 13:06:37
    Yes. I am uncomfortable with transgender individuals.
    azzyondeck@yahoo.com
    +1
    y do people want to be trangenders, like y do u want to change yourself. but tht is u it is not my i am goin to stay tyhe way i am
  • katy.isodo azzyond... 2012/05/03 13:32:24
    katy.isodo
    +2
    People don't usually want to be trans - they just are, they are born with a condition that makes them associate as a different gender than the physical body they have - it's not a choice.
    My question.. why do you want to type in such a way as to make your statements barely readable and appear somewhat illiterate?
  • Flowers azzyond... 2012/05/03 15:43:21
    Flowers
    +2
    2 things: this is a blog site, NOT A TEXT MESSAGE. I use my phone to post comments on SH and still manage to write intelligently. It's not that hard
    and, if you have no idea what it means to feel 'transgender' then you really have no right saying you are uncomfortable with them. the question was specifically about a transgender serving you food, not about whether you thought it was something YOU would want to do. Your response sounds either uninformed (as in, you didn't actually read the question) or completely selfish.
    If the person is good you'd never know they were transgendered.
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2012/05/03 03:45:56
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    As long as I get good service and good food it doesn't matter what type of genitalia is between a worker's legs. I'd be more concerned that they washed thier hands because cleanliness is important. In fact it would make respect the place more if they let a transgender person work there because as long as they work they should have a job somewhere if they want and it's good for the economy as well. A person is a person and a worker is a worker. As long as they do their jobs well I don't care at all what gender they were born.
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦơșƐ3033♌ 2012/05/02 21:26:38
  • Veritas 2012/05/02 19:58:03
    Veritas
    +1
    If the individual is transgender, I probably wouldn't even know. In any event, it doesn't matter. Good service matters.
  • Tammy.Pearman.Fowler 2012/05/02 19:46:07
    Tammy.Pearman.Fowler
    +1
    A person is a person and what does it matter if the person is transgender or not. I am respectful for the fact that they are working/have a job and not relying on the government for a hand out. I am a conservative person but have plenty of freinds who aren't necessarily as conservative and I try to be open to different lifestyles even though I may not agree with them.
  • azzyond... Tammy.P... 2012/05/03 13:04:18
    azzyondeck@yahoo.com
    +1
    tht is just crazy trangender scare me alot
  • Tammy.P... azzyond... 2012/05/10 17:55:17
    Tammy.Pearman.Fowler
    Most likely if they have a job and have passed qualifications to get a job they probably wouldn't be scary. You might never know that a transgender person is waiting on you.
  • mwg0735 2012/05/02 16:46:16
  • YourCom... mwg0735 2012/05/02 22:18:47
  • RawRsaurus mwg0735 2012/09/16 21:22:51
    RawRsaurus
    +1
    We're everywhere. Cry about it.
  • gfreeman BN-0 2012/05/02 16:29:57
    gfreeman BN-0
    +1
    Wouldn't have a problem with it.
  • Sonya Kokoylo 2012/05/02 10:17:43
    Sonya Kokoylo
    +2
    I would love to be waited on by them. Trans waitress or waiter, I would be very happy that they were comfortable enough to work in such a public environment, that it did not matter to the restaurant that hired them, and if patrons did notice, that it increased their awareness that trans people are just like everyone else, trying to live and make things work.
    Despite the burdens that trans people face in public and private situations, they must be allowed to live their authentic lives. The fact that this question is even posed shows that there is still a problem with the public's perception, understanding and acceptance of trans people. This is evident not only in interpersonal interactions being discussed here, but it is also evident in our laws that do not protect transgender and transsexual people in employment, housing, education, healthcare, and legal recognition of their gender identity.
    If you are reading this question, you must be an ally or member of the LGBT community. We all need need to voice or support to end discrimination, tell President Obama to sign the executive order to provide Employment Non-Discrimination protections for LGBT individuals, and support rulings like the recent EEOC case that determined that discrimination against trans people is sex discrimina...

If you are reading this question, you must be an ally or member of the LGBT community. We all need need to voice or support to end discrimination, tell President Obama to sign the executive order to provide Employment Non-Discrimination protections for LGBT individuals, and support rulings like the recent EEOC case that determined that discrimination against trans people is sex discrimination, and is a violation of federal law.

If you have a waitress or waiter that is trans, smile, use proper pronouns, treat them with the same respect you would treat anyone else. They are someone's child, sibling, neighbor and friend. They are doing the hard work that it takes just to be there, and they deserve all that life has to offer just as you do. Please appreciate that the next time someone asks you a question like this.
  • Mrs. Kathy Arch 2012/05/02 03:39:26
    Mrs. Kathy Arch
    +1
    Why? Being transgendered (like being gay) isn't a contagious disease! You have to be kidding me!
  • Me 2012/05/02 02:35:29
    Me
    +1
    chances are im hungry...ssoooo
  • MikeWon 2012/05/02 02:25:14
  • Christo... MikeWon 2012/05/05 04:14:36
    Christopher Bookkeeping
    so you are saying become a shut in agoraphobic in order to avoid being served at a restaurant by a man dressed up as a woman or woman as a man! wow, I guess that it is true all predjudice is ultimately rooted in fear. seek help
  • MikeWon Christo... 2012/05/09 06:23:45
  • CloudCh... MikeWon 2012/05/11 19:22:41
    CloudChaser
    +1
    are you being sarcastic?
  • MikeWon CloudCh... 2012/05/16 02:31:05
  • Koma CloudCh... 2012/05/30 01:14:31
    Koma
    +1
    I have no idea either.
  • Airhead MikeWon 2012/07/03 15:57:05
  • MikeWon Airhead 2012/07/04 02:18:10

2014/08/01 03:52:57