Would JFK be a Republican today?

RJ~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/28 15:13:29
Yes. Kennedy didn't leave the Democrats, the Democrats left him
Let me check with my apparatchik and get back to you
If JFK were alive today and running for President, it's highly likely that he would have to be a Republican. Not only would today's hard-left Democrat party likely reject him as a candidate, but most of his views are allied with today's Republicans.

Here's why:

- JFK promoted the single largest post-WW2 tax cut: 1.9% of national income. That's larger than any Reagan or Bush tax cut, and only 0.1% smaller than ALL Bush tax cuts combined.
http://taxfoundation.org:81/article/comparing-kennedy-reagan-...

- JFK believed in free markets and globalization. As he said in his 1963 Frankfurt address:
"Trade expansion will help us all. The experience of the Common Market--like the experience of the German Zollverein--shows an increased rise in business activity and general prosperity resulting for all participants in such trade agreements, with no member profiting at the expense of another. As they say on my own Cape Cod, a rising tide lifts all the boats. "
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=9303

- JFK believed in the projection of American and Western power to defend 'freedom'. Again from his 1963 Frankfurt address:
"The United States will risk its cities to defend yours because we need your freedom to protect ours. Hundreds of thousands of our soldiers serve with yours on this continent, as tangible evidence of that pledge. Those who would doubt our pledge or deny this indivisibility--those who would separate Europe from America or split one ally from another--would only give aid and comfort to the men who make themselves our adversaries and welcome any Western disarray."

- JFK believed in a large nuclear deterrent (same address):
"These conventional forces are essential, and they are backed by the sanction of thousands of the most modern weapons here on European soil and thousands more, only minutes away, in posts around the world. Together our nations have developed for the forward defense of free Europe a deterrent far surpassing the present or prospective force of any hostile power."

...

• Rusty Shackleford 2012/08/28 15:18:52
    Rusty Shackleford
    +10
    Ask not what your country can do for you.

Does that sound like a progressive line to you?

• Jarod Kochman 2012/09/01 23:09:29 (edited)
  • Informed Voter 2012/08/29 01:01:49 (edited)
    Informed Voter
    +2
    The Democrat Party of today IS the Party of Norman Thomas and Eugene V. Debs!

norman thomas

eugene debs
  • dominic garcia 2012/08/29 00:50:45
    dominic garcia
    +2
    He would certainly not recognize the new democratic party. He would be abhored at Obama's ideology.
  • nails 2012/08/28 21:27:14
    nails
    +1
    I wouldn't go that far.I would say Independent,leaning to the right.
  • BlackwinterG36C 2012/08/28 21:09:18
    BlackwinterG36C
    +3
    The last TRUE Democrat was Joeseph Lieberman and look what they did to him! The Democrats haven't changed since the late 1970s when the radical far-left and a few closet communists took over the party. Ronald Reagan WAS a democrat he saw what was happening before the rest of the world!
  • moomoof 2012/08/28 21:09:14
  • Informe... moomoof 2012/08/29 01:08:10
    Informed Voter
    +1
    Yes, SMART people would be in the GOP today!!!

Only the political fringe of society cling to today's Democrat Party, because they're too lazy to get out there and EARN what they receive!

Yeah, that's right! I said it, because it's TRUE!!!!

Liberal revisionist history backed up by the alleged media have forgotten exactly WHO it was that promulgated Civil Rights legislation all the way back to the end of the Civil War and which party actually created the KKK!

“Democrats, in 1854, passed the Kansas-Nebraska Act. This overturned the Missouri Compromise and allowed for the importation of slaves into the territories. Disgusted with the passage of this Act, free-soilers and antislavery members of the Whig and Democratic parties founded the Republican party—not just to stop the spread of slavery, but to eventually abolish it.”

“How many blacks know that blacks founded the Texas Republican party? On July 4, 1867, in Houston, Texas, 150 blacks and 20 whites formed the party. No, not the Black Texas Republican Party, they founded the Texas Republican Party.”

“Fugitive slave laws? Democrats passed the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850. ”

“Emancipation? Republican President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation during the Civil War. In 1965, the Thirteenth Amendment emancipating th...

“Emancipation? Republican President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation during the Civil War. In 1965, the Thirteenth Amendment emancipating the slaves was passed with 100 percent of Republicans (88 of 88 in the House 30 of 30 in the Senate) voting for it. Only 23 percent of Democrats (16 of 66 in the house and 3 of 8 in the Senate) voted for it.”

“Civil rights laws? In 1868, the states ratified the Fourteenth Amendment, to give newly emancipate blacks full civil rights and federal guarantee of those rights, superseding any state laws…Not a single Democrat (zero of 36 in the House, zero of 6 in the Senate) voted for it.”

“Right to vote? When Southern states balked at implementing the Fourteenth Amendment, Congress came back and passed the Fifteenth Amendment in 1870, guaranteeing blacks the right to vote. Every single Republican voted for it, with every Democrat voting against it.”

“Ku Klux Klan? In 1872 congressional investigations, Democrats admitted beginning the Klan as an effort to stop the spread of the Republican party, and to reestablish Democratic control in Southern states.”

“Jim Crow laws? Between 1870 and 1875, the Republican Congress passed many pro-black civil rights laws. But in 1876, Democrats took control of the House, and no further race-based civil rights laws passed until 1957.”

“In 1892, Democrats gained control of the House, the Senate, and the White House, and repealed all the Republican-passed civil rights laws. That enabled the Southern Democrats to pass the Jim Crow laws, poll taxes, literacy tests, and so on in their individual states.”

“How many (Americans) know that only 64 percent of Democrats in Congress voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act (153 for, 91 against in the House; and 46 for, 21 against in the Senate)? And 90 percent of Republicans (136 for, 35 against in the House; and 27 for, 6 against in the Senate) voted for the 1964 Act?”

All Quotes Sourced from:
    Larry Elder, Stupid Black Men, (New York, NY: St. Martin’s Press, 2008), p. 57-8.

stupid black men elder
  • JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/28 20:13:05
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    With all his flaws, he is still a great president. we could use him now, and I would not care what party he was with.
  • 4570GOVT 2012/08/28 19:42:52
    4570GOVT
    +2
    JFK would not know the Democrat Party of today . He would be a Moderate Republican !
  • sbtbill 2012/08/28 17:12:08
    sbtbill
    I strongly doubt it. A better question would be would Reagan have gone back to the Democratic party. Goldwater almost became a Democrat in the 90's.
  • sbtbill sbtbill 2012/08/28 17:20:08
    sbtbill
    Why I think Reagan would be a Democrat today

1) He was a social conservative. The Republican party has a major libertarian element that is not socially conservative.

2) He ignored the deficit. Reagan was one of the biggest spending Presidents in history. He used tradition government stimulus to jump start the economy. This spending was concentrated in defense and space and not social programs

3) He believed in Medicare, Medicaid and social security. Don't know if he was just reading a script in the 61 add or changed his views but he favored those as President.

4) In reforming taxes he both lowered and increased rates. He was beholding to no foolish pledge.

5) He rattled the saber but basically kept us out of foreign wars.
  • Rusty S... sbtbill 2012/08/28 18:06:46
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    How many democrats would vote for him today?
  • sbtbill Rusty S... 2012/08/28 19:19:55
    sbtbill
    A lot voted for him in 1980 and more in 84. I think a lot of people are voting for Republicans today because they think Republicans are like Reagan when they are much different and more like Nixon
  • nails Rusty S... 2012/08/28 21:30:06
  • RJ~PWCM... sbtbill 2012/08/28 20:46:45
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    "Goldwater almost became a Democrat in the 90's."

Are you SURE???
  • sbtbill RJ~PWCM... 2012/08/29 00:18:40
    sbtbill
    I understand he threatened to have his name removed from a Republican headquarters building in Arizona. I might be going a bit far, but he definitely seems to have gotten fed up with the Republicans.
  • RJ~PWCM... sbtbill 2012/08/29 12:02:29
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    Not because he was less conservative - it was because he became more libertarian, and disagreed with some of the "social issues" the GOP was pushing.
  • sbtbill RJ~PWCM... 2012/08/29 17:11:43
    sbtbill
    OK.
  • frank 2012/08/28 17:07:12
    frank
    +1
    Kennedy's views then are more like the Republican then the democrats of today.
  • Brad # 2486547 2012/08/28 16:53:51
    Brad # 2486547
    +2
    JFK is the only democrat I respect.
    +1
    No, not with the way the republicans have gone off the loony-tune deep end lately.
  • Hawkeye 2012/08/28 15:56:45
    Hawkeye
    +3
    I'm saying yes but ONLY the JFK as he was in History.. The JFK of the early 60s was FAR more conservative then today's R.I.N.O. and MOST of the elites in the Republican Party let alone the extreme Left that ONCE resided as SOCIAL OUTCASTS on the FRINGES of a Civilized Society but who NOW run the Democrat Party.....

But,, WHO KNOWS whether HE would have evolved into the Progressive Socialist's Extremist's that makes up the Democrat Party of today..
  • RJ~PWCM... Hawkeye 2012/08/28 16:36:47
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Right, I meant JFK as we know him.
  • tom C 2012/08/28 15:54:30
    tom  C
    +2
    things have gone extreme....the democrats are building a welfare nation of dependents..
    so sad...

Obamas cancelling of NASA missions would bring Kennedy to tears....
  • 56lady☆POTL JLA BTO-t- BCRA... 2012/08/28 15:50:37
    56lady☆POTL JLA BTO-t- BCRA-F's
  • Fred Rogers 2012/08/28 15:45:17
    Fred Rogers
  • Justagirl 2012/08/28 15:32:54
    Justagirl
    Likely he would have assimilated, or held the party in line. He and Robert were the "good eggs" in the Kennedy clutch. It's interesting to ponder what the Democratic party would be, had they not been assassinated.
  • themadhare ~IJM 2012/08/28 15:27:27
    themadhare ~IJM
    +4
    possibly, or he could have had a positive influence on the Democrat party.
  • RJ~PWCM... themadh... 2012/08/28 16:37:29
  • Zuggi 2012/08/28 15:22:39
    Zuggi
    +1
    All of which would be democratic positions today.

He would be run out of the Republican party on a rail, though.
  • RJ~PWCM... Zuggi 2012/08/28 16:38:31
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    Tax cuts are a democrat position? Projection of American power? Nuclear deterrent - democrat positions?

Very funny.
  • Zuggi RJ~PWCM... 2012/08/28 17:03:57
    Zuggi
    Rational taxes are a Democratic position. Because of WWII debts, taxes were at irrational rates. Compare his ending rate with Obama's; it's twice as high.

Yes, Democrats want to project power. Just not in a crazy unilateral way.

Against MAD, a nuclear deterrent is needed.

So you're saying you'd vote for someone who proposed 70% taxes on the rich?
  • sbtbill Zuggi 2012/08/28 17:44:13
    sbtbill
    +1
    Eisenhower liked those rates and never tried to change them. Kennedy knew that the 91% was mythical. He decided to cut deductions and reduce rates because it would actually increase taxes paid.

Here is why Romney's taxes are hidden and important. We are in much the same situation today. The rich don't actually pay 35% neither do most small businesses. Romney's 14% is probably a bit low but Ryan's 20% is probably close to the real average rate. This is what the Republicans want to hide. Romney probably hasn't paid 20% taxes in his life and neither have most of the 1% They just want the righties to think that because they don't want them to know they are paying higher taxes then them.
  • RJ~PWCM... Zuggi 2012/08/28 20:49:10
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    He wouldn't get a dozen votes in a Democrat primary campaigning on "tax cuts".

"Against MAD, a nuclear deterrent is needed."

This statement of yours indicates don't understand what the term MAD means. MAD *is* the deterrent. It's what Kennedy supported, and all Presidents until 0bama, supported.
  • Zuggi RJ~PWCM... 2012/08/28 20:56:52
    Zuggi
    Sure he would. Everyone likes tax cuts. We don't like the wealthy getting off scot free.

I was referring to first strike and second strike capability.
  • sbtbill RJ~PWCM... 2012/08/29 00:25:21
    sbtbill
    Mutually assured destruction was a tactic we used against the Soviet Union. It only makes sense against a rational enemy who you believe has the power to destroy you.

Against 2nd and 3rd rate powers like Iran it is off no use. They can't destroy us. Hurt us yes, but it would be no more then that.

Against a country like Afghanistan it makes even less sense as they have next to no ability to give us more then a pin prick. Also, at their stage of development bombing them back to the stone age might be a step up for them.

I would say the world has changed enough that MAD can thankfully be dispensed with. The question always existed as to whether it was just a threat anyway. Would a sane leader really shot back?
  • RJ~PWCM... sbtbill 2012/08/29 12:03:09
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    I know exactly what MAD is.

I was pointing out that the person who brought it up didn't.
  • sbtbill RJ~PWCM... 2012/08/29 00:31:57
    sbtbill
    Reagan passed as many tax increases as cuts. I realize many Democrats would like to return to 91% rates. I wouldn't. Reagan's rational was that people need income to have an incentive to work and that at 70% plus state taxes that didn't exist. He was probably right. 35% to 39% is a different story. Since Reagan did worry a tiny bit about the deficit he probably would have support such an increase.

Reagan pulled out of Lebanon. He talked a lot, threatened a lot, funded a proxy war but he basically kept the troops at home. I do not think he would agree with the way we waste American power today. He was to smart for that.

Reagan believed in the social safety net. He felt it was a bit to large. In that I think he is very similar to Obama. I disagreed with that. I think it is to small.

Reagan would fit very nicely as a moderate blue dog Democrat. I don't think he would fit as a Tea Party Republican.
  • Lady Wh... Zuggi 2012/08/28 16:49:33
    true
  • Jackie ... Zuggi 2012/08/28 16:51:26
    Maybe if he had lived they would be but he did not say: "Ask what ever you can of your country and don't do anything for it." He said something quite different and very different from today's DNC

2014/12/18 07:20:11