Would implementing a dress code stop rape?

Shellby 2012/12/07 00:48:34
Hell no.
But I've heard this so many times: what were you wearing? what were you doing? why were you doing that? like it's their fault. Ridiculous.

What do you guys think?

• themadhare ~IJM 2012/12/19 06:10:25
    themadhare ~IJM
    +1
    Just no....
  • marty 2012/12/13 01:37:47
    marty
    Clothing COULD be a tipping point, but that's probably a last second decision. I suppose that a would-be rapist could see a person wearing body armor or thick clothes and reason that this is a bad mark. My guess is that rapists already have a set target so there's very little a victim could have done to prevent the rape. Dress codes only infringe on freedom of expression and are like gun control in that they restrict regular citizens.
  • susan BN-0 2012/12/12 23:28:31
  • ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2012/12/12 19:40:51
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +1
    It's not that simple.
  • xxdudeitsbellaxx 2012/12/12 18:42:21
    xxdudeitsbellaxx
    it just wouldnt. i mean you could be wearing anything you would still get raped.
    it might, if it were accompanied by stricter discipline
  • TheBorg 2012/12/10 02:07:00 (edited)
    TheBorg
    +1
    No. There are too many types of rape and a dress code would not address them.

types rape dress code address
  • Kookieless The Sexy Nihilis... 2012/12/09 21:54:07
  • Wizard_in_Time 2012/12/07 19:46:03
    Wizard_in_Time
    +2
    Rape is almost never a crime of lust, but one of control. Mandatory Barney suits wouldn't stop a rapist.
  • Sir Ant (♞) DeviANT of PHAET 2012/12/07 19:32:17
  • Melizmatic Sir Ant... 2012/12/07 19:38:24 (edited)
    Melizmatic
    +3
    I think its cognitive dissonance, on an epic scale.

Its much easier to believe that 'nothing bad can ever happen to you personally' if bad things only happen to people who were "asking for it."

No one ever seems to want to believe that atrocious things can randomly happen to decent people for no real reason at all.
  • Sir Ant... Melizmatic 2012/12/07 19:43:44
    Sir Ant (♞) DeviANT of PHAET
    +2
    It's time those people realize anyone can be hurt. No to say, they should but instead for them to be compassionate and not look to blame the victims. Rape is evil. It can destroy long after the actual rape happens but continues in their mind. It's better now, while still not enough at times there are support groups and a more open armed approach to helping them become survivors.
  • Melizmatic Sir Ant... 2012/12/07 19:45:37
    Melizmatic
    +2
    I concur, completely.

"Denial" ain't just a river in Africa.
  • novelis... Sir Ant... 2012/12/13 22:08:43
    novelistgirl94
    +1
    I completely agree. It's almost disrespectful, don't you think, to say "they had it coming." Because, come on, I can't imagine that torture it would be to be raped. Literally, can't imagine it. I wouldn't dare wish that on anyone for a moment. Not even a millisecond. The horror stories alone are enough, and you still can't get the picture.
  • Melizmatic 2012/12/07 19:14:41
    Melizmatic
    +5
    Of course it wouldn't.

Women wearing burquas have been sexually assaulted; so have 89 year old grandmas in muumuus and so have two year old babies in diapers.

sick sad world
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/12/07 19:09:21
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +3
    Of course not.
  • JonDeniro 2012/12/07 19:09:21
    JonDeniro
    +2
    An absurd notion.

There may be some validity to the idea that a gal who is dressed seductively may catch the attention of a rapist more so than a gal dressed demurely, but that is merely a factor in choosing who will be his victim...it has no bearing on the basic problem, that he IS choosing a victim.
  • sue 2012/12/07 19:05:19
    sue
    +3
    Rape is not about sex, lust, or looks. It is about rage and domination. When are people going to learn this and stop "sexualizing this horrible act"? Stop watch porn, it isn't real...
  • John 2012/12/07 14:05:11
    John
    +2
    Women in the Middle East are covered from head to toe and still get raped. Most experts tell us that rape is about power not sex. Besides who wants to live in a country with a dress code.
  • darthtbone 2012/12/07 12:50:04
    darthtbone
    Rapists rape so no it will not. That being said, it is about protecting yourself. Boy am I about to get flamed...

In Afghanistan, soldiers wear camouflage. On an aircraft carrier sailors wear brightly colored vests. If the two switched their uniforms do you think more soldiers in Afghanistan would be shot? Absolutely. Why? Were they "asking for it?" No. Did they draw attention to themselves? Yes.

When a young lady dresses in her best knee boots, short skirt and low cut top, she WILL get attention (and to some extent that's the point). Unfortunately, she will get the attention of everyone, scumbags included. If there's someone out there intent on committing rape, they are going to do it. But you don't want to be the "shiny penny."

In a perfect world you should be able to wear whatever you want without fear. But then again, in a perfect world there wouldn't be rape in the first place. We don't live in a perfect world.

We live in a world where is rape, murder, mutilations, assault, torture. As a matter of fact, the one thing that humanity truly excels at is figuring out new and exciting ways to harm our fellow humans.

Evil people will always exist. Your job is to put as much distance between you and them and stay off their radar.
  • Melizmatic darthtbone 2012/12/07 19:17:19 (edited)
    Melizmatic
    +1
    "Evil people will always exist."

I'm not about to flame you for simply having an opinion or even for implying that its somehow possible to avoid being victimized by "staying under someone's radar."

O_o

I'm just going to say this:

all that is necessary for evil to triumph
  • darthtbone Melizmatic 2012/12/07 23:47:21
  • Erickzl 2012/12/07 11:27:06
    Erickzl
    Given that the dress code involved wearing a locked suit of armour. Otherwise, no.
  • ocean tamer 2012/12/07 09:25:00
    ocean tamer
    Its as if people are saying it is the women's fault for being open to rape. It's not as if a rapist is going to think, "oh, she looks classy and about mid 20's, probably carrying a lot of cash in her respectable purse. Better stay away from her then." I mean get real people.
  • wtxwoman 2012/12/07 07:32:36
    wtxwoman
    +2
    Women have been raped throughout the ages. What they are wearing has nothing to do with whether a woman is raped or not. Rape is not caused by overwhelming desire. It is a crime of violence and domination.
  • A Founding Father 2012/12/07 07:32:15
    A Founding Father
    Steel chastity belts are known to prevent rape. Why do you have to ask such an obvious question? We could have them made in China for about $3 each. Problem solved.
  • sue A Found... 2012/12/07 19:07:39
    sue
    +1
    Yes, that is the solution, men should be put in a chasity belt....good solution!!!
  • tina 2012/12/07 06:56:56
    tina
    rapist sometimes do what they do for the emotion they get out of the victim....the scum bags!
  • Glfer65 2012/12/07 06:36:19
    Glfer65
    Clothes may be to some a trigger but mostly they are looking at what is under it all..
  • scottcl... Glfer65 2012/12/07 06:52:29 (edited)
    scottcleaves
    IMHO, dressing provocatively is like baiting a hook.
  • wtxwoman scottcl... 2012/12/07 07:34:27
    wtxwoman
    +1
    A man does not rape because is provocated beyond his control. He rapes because he has a deepseated hatred and fear of women. Rape is a crime of violence, not one of passion!
  • ocean t... scottcl... 2012/12/07 09:27:07
    ocean tamer
    +1
    I bet you are a man aren't you? You have no idea what it is like to be followed by a man in the dead of night, and end up running down your street to your friend's house out of pure fear. It is NOTHING to do with clothing, it is purely how messed up the rapist is in their psychotic head.
  • novelis... ocean t... 2012/12/13 22:16:45
    novelistgirl94
    I concurr fully, but I do have a question. Because this is how a rapist would feel, wouldn't clothing be part of it? Like, a...not a trigger, but an added bonus to his evil, evil deeds. Does that makes sense? If a rapist is walking around, looking for his next victim, would it be the nerd at the counter wearing jeans and a t-shirt, or the girl next to her with her boobs hanging out in a mini skirt? I'm not saying that's WHY people get raped, but I was blatantly curious, and wondered what you thought. Cause you seem to have an extremely solid response.
  • Shellby scottcl... 2012/12/07 10:28:21
    Shellby
    +1
    Um no.
  • sue scottcl... 2012/12/07 19:09:58
    sue
    +1
    So, are men like fish? Just going after women because it is instictual? No, because if that was the case, every man would be a rapest. It is not about sex or clothing.
  • bri@30 2012/12/07 06:20:33
    bri@30
    As you stated hell no I'm pretty sure the rapist isn't concerned with what she was wearing. Just my opinion but it's more about body type an hair color more than the clothes she has on. Ridiculous Yes my guy opinion to
  • sue bri@30 2012/12/07 19:12:19
    sue
    Elderly women are rape, men are raped, large women and plain women are raped. It is not about body type or hair color. It is rage and domination
  • Melizmatic sue 2012/12/07 19:19:51
    Melizmatic
    But he does have a valid point; many predators do have some sort of personal preference when selecting their victims.

Your own point is equally valid, however; the motivation that prompts someone to violate someone else is based on rage and the desire to dominate someone 'weaker'.
  • sue Melizmatic 2012/12/07 19:27:24
    sue
    Well, I am not going to say that rapes are indiscriminate, that problably would not be true. However, it is not about clothing and I don't think it is just about looks.
  • Melizmatic sue 2012/12/07 19:34:23 (edited)
    Melizmatic
    Oh, I concur.

I'm just stating that much as most regular, law abiding people have a preferential 'type' that they are attracted to, so do sexual predators.

I agree that its not something that anyone can actively take measures to prevent, prior to an attack;

Say a rapist had issues with his mom, and because of that, he may target women who remind him of his mother in some way.

That's obviously his own 'preference' and not any "fault" of the unfortunate women he preys on.

2014/04/20 20:57:13