Would gay marriage really make gays happy?

Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/08/07 23:34:46
It seems to me that gays think it's the ultimate key to happiness...marriage! While I love my husband I must admit that I'm not happy with him because we're married, I'm happy because we have a great relationship and are happy together. If I didn't have that piece of paper, we'd still be together and living our lives just as we do now. I haven't heard anyone gay say that they need to be married because cohabitation is immoral and without marriage, they can't live together and have sex together. That seems to be reserved for the Christian heterosexuals.

So, are married gay couples that much happier than unmarried couples or is it the job and tax benefits that married couples get that make them so much happier? Or is it nothing but the grass is greener and I need you to say I'm normal thing?

I personally think that many Liberals in general think they're only one piece of legislation away from utopia and it's Conservatives keeping them from it!

• ilstarwars 2012/08/07 23:41:33
    ilstarwars
    +12
    I don't think it's so much about them wanting to get married, I think they are just mad that they aren't allowed to do it if they so desire. I'd be angry too if I weren't allowed to have something that everyone else is allowed to have just because of a sexual preference.

• betz sjalan 2012/08/10 10:09:24
    betz
    +1
    sjalan Gracie couldn't have been kinder in her answer but your's on the other hand reeked of anger and intolerance. I am not looking forward to you answer to me as I don't think I will be pleased. Have a nice day.
  • Gracie ... betz 2012/08/10 21:55:39 (edited)
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    It's just that same old intolerance for a difference of opinion that foments into anger. I find this frequently from liberals. That's why they're never happy. Thanks for sticking up for me, betz!
  • Gracie ... sjalan 2012/08/10 21:54:30
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Your anger and hatred of anyone who doesn't agree with you is more than obvious. I'm sorry you have so much inside of you, something must be upsetting your inner peace and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be some anonymous person that you don't even know on SH.
  • betz Gracie ... 2012/08/11 10:38:27
    betz
    +1
    Well said Gracie. I am walking away from this person and this issue for now. It was easy to agree with you. You gave personal examples and spoke with intelligence. I happen to feel the same way as you do. It really is a shame that some people can't appreciate others' views and have a decent conversation.
  • betz sjalan 2012/08/10 10:08:03
    betz
    +1
    sjalan I am so thrilled things are working out for your family. You just proved that yes this type of situation can work in certain cases. What I gave was my opinion....I would guess there are many situations where it is not working out well. Once again it is my opinion. I do not hate gay people not the fact that they raise children together. Whether you want to believe it or not I hate noone. I do though feel that a young girl needs a mother to ask questions and express concerns and a young boy needs that father image to support him. Once again my opinion. It was nice talking to you and continued happiness in your family sjalan.
  • ed 2012/08/08 01:09:16
    ed
    +4
    no then they would find something else to bitch about
  • Gracie ... ed 2012/08/08 01:14:21
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +5
    I'm wondering when they are going to sue God for not allowing them the right to procreate with each other?
  • ed Gracie ... 2012/08/08 01:33:13
    ed
    +2
    careful that could be next
  • ProudPr... Gracie ... 2012/08/09 11:46:07
    ProudProgressive
    Are you saying that heterosexuals who are sterile are equally "evil"?
  • Gracie ... ProudPr... 2012/08/09 14:34:54
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    No, heterosexuals who are sterile have a biological defect, isn't that obvious?
  • ProudPr... Gracie ... 2012/08/09 15:45:44
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    Some are sterile by choice (vasectomy) or as the result of a traumatic accident or illness, or even in some cases by their own government. My point was that I don't think the ability to procreate has anything to do with who should or should not be "allowed" to marry.
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/08/08 01:07:03 (edited)
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +6
    I've often thought this question myself. It won't be enough for many is my guess. And you know the organization is too well funded to just "go away". Many people make a good living off of this issue.
  • ProudPr... tommyg ... 2012/08/08 21:23:24
    ProudProgressive
    +2
    I'm not sure how much of the drive for marital equality is motivated by trying to "make a good living". I think it's more of a personal, emotional issue. (On the other hand, according to Mike Bloomberg New York City made over $200 million dollars in added revenue since same sex marriage was legalized - that includes hotels, caterers, tuxedo rentals, and all the usual 'tourist' things.)

I guess I think that if something makes people happy and doesn't harm anyone else then why not let them do what makes them happy.
  • tommyg ... ProudPr... 2012/08/09 01:10:21
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +1
    All those lawyers...please. Color me cynical Proud. I'm sure there are a few who do it for the reasons you give...I have no doubt. But come on..lol

As for the rest, it's not an issue for me.
  • ProudPr... tommyg ... 2012/08/09 11:48:24
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    Although I'm a member of it, I share your disdain for the legal profession as a whole LOL. I agree there are those who will try to profit from other people's passions, but I still feel that the overwhelming majority of people who support marital equality do so because they believe it is the morally correct choice to make. That's why I support it.
  • Gracie ... Pixie·Ÿ... 2012/08/08 01:09:11
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Yeah, sure! I know so many gay people who are fired for being gay! NOT!
  • Pixie·Ÿ... Gracie ... 2012/08/08 01:12:07
  • Gracie ... Pixie·Ÿ... 2012/08/08 01:15:45
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Perhaps there is more to the story? It's easy for a gay person to make an accusation that it's because they're gay.
  • Pixie·Ÿ... Gracie ... 2012/08/08 01:16:40
  • Gracie ... Pixie·Ÿ... 2012/08/08 01:25:09
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    First, I don't even know that it's a real letter. Second, did he have something in his contract that he violated? I'm saying there is much more to the story.
  • Pixie·Ÿ... Gracie ... 2012/08/08 01:29:24
  • Gracie ... Pixie·Ÿ... 2012/08/08 01:34:05
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    And kids kill themselves and are killed for a variety of things, not just being gay. Fat kids are bullied more than anyone. Christians can lose their job for saying they don't believe in gay marriage! It seems that what we want is a guarantee that life will be kind and wonderful and it's just not so. Intolerance is a two-way street.
  • ProudPr... Gracie ... 2012/08/08 21:25:33
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    Just curious - do you know of even one actual case of a christian being fired for not believing in gay marriage?
  • sjalan Pixie·Ÿ... 2012/08/08 04:33:02
    +2
    AND ONE WAS TOO MANY!!
  • ProudPr... Gracie ... 2012/08/08 21:24:51
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    You will acknowledge, I hope, that there are numerous documented cases of loyal Americans in our military service who were kicked out because of their sexual orientation, won't you? I think that counts as being "fired".
  • Sammy 2012/08/08 01:01:58
    Sammy
    Its the basic "you always want what you can't have" thing.
  • Daryl 2012/08/08 00:56:43
    Daryl
    +5
    The 'gay marriage' case is about getting an edge to sue for decades of law suits.

Need proof?

Ask a homo-activist if they support the libertarian option of NO GOVERNMENT for marriage.
  • Gracie ... Daryl 2012/08/08 01:10:11
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    I thought it was just the lawyers wanting more divorces.
  • Daryl Gracie ... 2012/08/08 01:32:55
    Daryl
    +3
    If they get licenses they can sue insurance companies, corporations, churches, local governments...etc.
  • Razoreye001 2012/08/08 00:56:32
    Razoreye001
    +1
    I think it has more to do with the legal rights that come with marriage than whether they are happy.
  • Gracie ... Razorey... 2012/08/08 01:10:31
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    What legal rights is that?
  • Razorey... Gracie ... 2012/08/08 01:14:01
    Razoreye001
    +1
    like being able to see your loved ones in the hospital and being able to put your loved ones under your health insurance.
  • Gracie ... Razorey... 2012/08/08 01:26:27
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    You can make anyone your medical designee and many group plans let you add a domestic partner. You can buy property together and you can leave your money to anyone you wish, in a will and in life insurance. All those are red herrings.
  • Razorey... Gracie ... 2012/08/08 01:29:16
    Razoreye001
    +1
    well I don't see why they shouldn't get married. I don't know what the logic is against allowing them?
  • ProudPr... Razorey... 2012/08/08 21:27:06
    ProudProgressive
    +2
    There doesn't seem to be much logic involved. This is an emotional issue and both supporters and opponents seem to take their positions on what they "feel" is just rather than on pure rational argument.
  • Razorey... ProudPr... 2012/08/08 22:40:23 (edited)
    Razoreye001
    +1
    I realize that but I am tired of pointing that out, seeing as these cons think there is a legitimate reason I am offering a chance for them to tell us which I am betting they won't or they will say you will never understand or something else along that line.
  • Gracie ... Razorey... 2012/08/09 00:24:10
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    You'd have to accept Christian principles to find a problem with it.
  • Razorey... Gracie ... 2012/08/09 01:00:29
    Razoreye001
    +1
    well have you ever thought Christianity was wrong?
  • Gracie ... Razorey... 2012/08/09 01:02:50
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Never really wrong, maybe not the strongest believer when I was younger. Now I see God in everything around me.

2014/11/25 00:45:55