Would gay marriage really make gays happy?

Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/08/07 23:34:46
It seems to me that gays think it's the ultimate key to happiness...marriage! While I love my husband I must admit that I'm not happy with him because we're married, I'm happy because we have a great relationship and are happy together. If I didn't have that piece of paper, we'd still be together and living our lives just as we do now. I haven't heard anyone gay say that they need to be married because cohabitation is immoral and without marriage, they can't live together and have sex together. That seems to be reserved for the Christian heterosexuals.

So, are married gay couples that much happier than unmarried couples or is it the job and tax benefits that married couples get that make them so much happier? Or is it nothing but the grass is greener and I need you to say I'm normal thing?

I personally think that many Liberals in general think they're only one piece of legislation away from utopia and it's Conservatives keeping them from it!

• ilstarwars 2012/08/07 23:41:33
    ilstarwars
    +12
    I don't think it's so much about them wanting to get married, I think they are just mad that they aren't allowed to do it if they so desire. I'd be angry too if I weren't allowed to have something that everyone else is allowed to have just because of a sexual preference.

• Eric 2012/10/08 14:40:43
  • Butz McCrackin' 2012/09/09 21:54:34
  • GayDaddy 2012/09/05 01:45:46
    GayDaddy
    +2
    I think equal rights should be more outlined with just let people be who they are. Thats why I use findgaydaddy.com to find all my gay personals and finding hot boy toys and daddys all night long.
  • Gracie ... GayDaddy 2012/09/05 01:49:08
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    LOL!
  • chaz 2012/08/29 04:18:19
    chaz
    I pay taxes like any other homo sapien in the U.S, why the f*@* people are dictating whom I can marry or not marry in general? If two mentally sane adults are in love with each other, no one- including myself -should stop that. I can't believe some of the stupidity that comes out of people mouths here. One of them is child implications..are you serious? News flash: U.S society is pretty messed up thanks to ignorance and conservatism. You have straight couples that are divorcing faster than the rate of marriage. Abandoning thier children and creating a stressful enviroment for the child in so many ways. But you believe that 2 guys or women adopting a child or what have you will mess up a kids head? lol, have you seen the modern nani, the T.V? How about you concentrate your efforts on modern nani than trying to hate on gay couples that have a better chance to raise kid. So far straight couples aren't doing a good job are they?
  • Gracie ... chaz 2012/08/29 04:31:05
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    A piece of paper has nothing to do with love. Love each other and go for civil unions...just like the enlightened UK. My daughter has a gay father and no, he cares more about his boy toys and clubbing than his daughter or granddaughters. He's 58 and gay men never grow up, never!
  • chaz Gracie ... 2012/08/29 04:49:53
    chaz
    Just because your daughters' gay father?? likes his boy toys , doesn't mean all gay guys are the same. He is what we call - irresponsable and selfish which can happen to any gay or straight person, according to what you stated. Your being bias. And your right, A piece a paper has nothing to do with love because gay people has been loving each other since the beginning of times without that peice of paper. But that piece of paper gives each other the legal right to benefits which every U.S citizen that pays taxes is entitled to thier rights. It's time that gay couples be treated the same way as straight couples. Probably it's time for you to move on if not then you will never grow up either.
  • Gracie ... chaz 2012/08/29 22:01:00
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Just like I'm sick of being told I've got issues because my ex-husband is gay. I've moved on, I've been happily remarried for 27 years. I'm pretty sure I'm all grown up! LOL! Get your equal rights through civil unions...that's not enough is it? You need the term "marriage" to make society call it normal. I get it.
  • chaz Gracie ... 2012/08/30 01:37:12
    chaz
    I am glad you are happily remarried and sorry that what you went through. I can't speak on behalf of the gay community only for my self as a human being. I don't need a piece of paper to make homosexuality normal. I consider it normal.Some probably need to get married to feel that now people can call them normal. Regardless what people say to me...I will always be normal and marriage is just to to take it to the next level and the same rights just like straight people, just like the same reasons that you had. There is always going to be downs and ups, in which ever type of marriage. We are all humans. We all have a dream just like Martin Luther King said, lets all let people and ourselves have our dreams.
  • Gracie ... chaz 2012/08/30 01:57:53
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    I don't want to deny you happiness, that comes from within, not a marriage license. I don't think that you need marriage because it's not Christian to live in sin, is it? I'm all for civil unions that give all the same rights and privileges, marriage doesn't need to be redefined. The end result...you're happy and we're all happy. If you NEED the word, I question your motive.
  • LadyCentrist 2012/08/25 01:28:58
  • Gracie ... LadyCen... 2012/08/25 01:29:43
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    I agree, gays shouldn't force the change of the definition of marriage.
  • THAT WAS FUN 2012/08/23 07:57:36
  • RawRsaurus THAT WA... 2012/09/16 22:05:42 (edited)
    RawRsaurus
    If gay marriage were ever allowed, I wouldn't give a damn what any religious individual had to say. Gay marriage is a social issue, not a religious one.

It's about benefits, yes. It's also about equality.

I don't hate heterosexuals, but heterosexuals (mostly religious ones) sure do hate me for being transgender. Funny how that works. So....where is the spite coming from?
  • Gracie ... RawRsaurus 2012/09/18 00:22:39
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    I know it never occurs to some gay and transgendered people that because someone doesn't agree with your lifestyle, it does not mean that they hate you. Also, sometimes a gay person automatically assumes that someone doesn't like them because of their sexuality when in reality they aren't liked because not everyone likes everyone else and some people just are jerks. We have a guy at work that assumes that everything that happens to him is about him being gay...it's just not the case.
  • RawRsaurus Gracie ... 2012/09/18 11:51:12
    RawRsaurus
    There's a difference between not supporting the lifestyle and disrupting human rights. It is my right to marry whomever I please, just as it is your right to do the same. Again, one can draw similarities to women's suffrage and the Civil Rights movement. It's only a matter of time before the LGBT community is allowed to legally marry.
  • Gracie ... RawRsaurus 2012/09/18 21:52:56
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    You might be right but be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
  • RawRsaurus Gracie ... 2012/09/19 16:23:02
    RawRsaurus
    Maybe not in my lifetime, but I have a feeling there will come a day...

You seem like an intelligent individual, and I agree not everyone who doesn't support gays goes out of their way to degrade them. But if we're being realistic here, the majority of those who are against homosexuality are those who are prejudiced and grossly misinformed.
  • Gracie ... RawRsaurus 2012/09/20 01:12:43
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    IDK, as someone who was married to a gay man and was involved in so much drama and confession, I'd say that there is much deception in the gay community. The picture that they paint doesn't really jive with the reality that I've seen. That's not just from one man, that's from a host of gay men and lesbians that I know.
  • RawRsaurus Gracie ... 2012/09/20 01:14:09
    RawRsaurus
    So...because a few heterosexuals I've come across have been ignorant and bigoted means I should paint all heterosexuals in such a manner? Never allow a few rotten apples to spoil the bunch.
  • Gracie ... RawRsaurus 2012/09/20 17:05:35
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    But go back and look at what you're written and you'll see that's exactly what you have done.
  • RawRsaurus Gracie ... 2012/09/20 18:37:13
    RawRsaurus
    Show me where I've made hastily generalized statements.

"I don't hate heterosexuals, but heterosexuals sure hate me...."

That was my attempt to convey I DON'T hate heterosexuals because of a few closed-minded jerks.
  • Gracie ... RawRsaurus 2012/09/20 21:11:01
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    You clearly said "heterosexuals sure hate me"...how is that not a generalized statement? You didn't even say "some".
  • RawRsaurus Gracie ... 2012/09/20 22:25:48 (edited)
    RawRsaurus
    +1
    Clearly, my intent was conveyed, correct? I don't hate heterosexuals based on the heterosexuals who have decided to treat me like a second-class citizen.

We're really reaching on the generalizing front here.

Whatever your experience with homosexuals, I'm sorry it was negative. However, I can tell you not all of them are like that. Though I identify with the community, I am transgender, and I'm about as harmful as a fluffy kitten.

fluffy kitten

K, well....you get the point.
  • DemonChild 2012/08/22 04:37:05
    DemonChild
    +1
    No, it would just confuse the world even more!
  • chaz DemonChild 2012/08/29 04:00:14
    chaz
    +1
    too late for that!
  • hailey.olivia 2012/08/15 04:28:05
    hailey.olivia
    +3
    Yes :) Ever since I was 5 I've dreamed about my wedding day, and even though I'm a lesbian it makes me SO happy that since I live in Toronto and gay marriage is legal I can still marry the person I love the most and want to share my life with :)
  • Alexander T Steward 2012/08/13 21:21:22
  • Gracie ... Alexand... 2012/08/14 01:34:29
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Sure, it's that simple.
  • janice.heartbriggs 2012/08/13 01:16:16
    janice.heartbriggs
    +4
    The ultimate key to happiness is giving orgasms to my lover.... marriage only ranks number 2. haha
  • Gracie ... janice.... 2012/08/13 01:53:03
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    You have to live with each other in between sex, really you do.
  • janice.... Gracie ... 2012/08/13 02:08:30
    janice.heartbriggs
    +2
    But of course
  • LadyCen... janice.... 2012/08/25 01:29:59
  • Loop 2012/08/12 17:16:55
    Loop
    +1
    There are more gay people than you think who think cohabitation is immoral. So just be careful.
    But also, marriage is a public sign that two people have reached the A1 position in their relationship. If heterosexuals can reach that point in their relationship, why can't homosexuals?
    It's not the ultimate key to happiness, in fact it's hard work, but it's something that all couples have a right to, regardless of sexual preference. So even though I won't be snogging a guy any time, I can understand their reasons for wanting marriage for themselves too.
  • Gracie ... Loop 2012/08/12 17:24:34
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    I'm seriously doubting the part about the cohabitation. If you think cohabitation is sinful, you'd probably think that premarital sex was also and I'm thinking that gay hesitation about that is so miniscule to be non-existent. Then again, if you're basing both of those on the Bible, you've got a problem with justifying homosexuality in general.

Marriage is extremely easy when you're married to the right person and take it seriously. If you change the definition of marriage and allow gay marriage, you are exposing the churches to discrimination changes. That destroys religious freedom. I've already seen it happening in some areas. Many churches have given in to public pressure and I'm sure that doesn't make God happy!
  • Loop Gracie ... 2012/08/12 18:41:13 (edited)
    Loop
    Well I think homosexuality's ok. I'm straight, and christian. Because the bible directly condemns cohabitation, but not homosexuality (except in leviticus, which only applied to men at that time because of disease). And I'm pleased to say, a similar view is on the rise (for homosexuals as well).
    Also, the churches are perfectly free to refuse to marry straight couples they have issues with, so with homosexuals, that should be fine. If not, then that's a discrimination issue just as much as banning gay marriage.
    But I should stress I'm in favour of marriage, very much. It's definitely rewarding hard work, at any rate (not that I've experienced it yet, as i'm only 16).
  • Gracie ... Loop 2012/08/12 19:05:41
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Well, if you find yourself in a serious relationship and it's a lot of work, move on! Real partnerships aren't work, they evolve but the mutual respect has to be there from the beginning. I disagree on homosexuality not being against God, it's not just a sexual preference, it's much more than that. The churches are already being violated with the birth control mandate so to think they wouldn't be violated with gay marriage is simply naive. There are many people in America who would love nothing more than to eliminate Christianity.
  • Loop Gracie ... 2012/08/12 21:26:23
    Loop
    +1
    I'm not denying your final statement (indeed, even 'christians' seek to eliminate it sometimes), but what I meant was, marriages is not always eternal bliss. That's just the way life is, but I realise an ideal couple will get past it, rather than let it spoil their relationship.
    Of course, the birth control mandate isn't something that should violate the church, and neither is gay marriage. But here in britain (where I live), things seem to work out ok with gay marriage and the whole birth control mandate, so why not in america?
    Homosexuality being more than just a preference is, I think, where a lot of homosexuals go wrong. Their sexuality becomes more important to them than God, and it can become an idol to them too. But thankfully, that doesn't apply to all homosexuals, and for what it's worth, there are a lot of straights that are guilty of the same thing.
  • Gracie ... Loop 2012/08/13 01:54:12
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    You don't have gay marriage, you have Civil Unions in the UK, right?
  • Loop Gracie ... 2012/08/13 07:29:53
    Loop
    For now, yes, but by 2015 gay marriage will be legal as well.

2014/10/26 04:01:32