Would Donald Trump Make a Good President?

DC Pundit 2011/03/19 11:00:00
I woke up with a St. Patrick's Day hangover Friday, and Donald Trump nearly made me want to go back to the pub for another Guinness.

Trump, with a raccoon hairpiece and what looks like a fake orange tan, says he has the style, credibility and experience to be the leader of the free world. So why would he think that he would be the best Republican nominee? Maybe his careful investment practices.

Hmmmm.

In 1991, Trump declared business bankruptcy because he overextended himself on the Atlantic City Taj Mahal casino (his personal debt was reportedly $900 million). Investors lost millions after a restructuring. In 1992, he declared bankruptcy, and the Trump Plaza Hotel closed. Investors lost millions. In 2004, he filed bankruptcy and then again in 2009. Investors...(well, you know).

Well, maybe it's his moral compass. Let's see. He was married to Ivanka, until Marla Maples came along. After the affair surfaced, Ivanka divorced him. Six years later, Trump divorced Marla. A short time time later, the man married Melania Knauss, obviously because the man is so handsome. The age gap, 24 years, is of course not an issue. (Though, admittedly, in comparison to Newt Gingrich, The Donald is a paragon of virtue.)

In just this surface analysis, it would seem Trump has no vision and only knows how to dupe investors and marry younger and younger. But we all know that he can't beat heavyweights such as Mitt Romney or Mitch Daniels. Or at least, we hope that the American people won't let him.

Trump says he'll wait until June to announce, but really all of this is a cynical attempt to keep his name in the national media and pump up his "Apprentice" reality television franchise. Maybe he can sell some more books. But there is no way this man would be good for the U.S.

The statement Trump made that had me reaching for my pint? His attempt to pander to the extreme Right in questioning President Barack Obama's birthplace. Style indeed.

• keith hernandez 2012/04/22 21:41:54
    keith hernandez
    +1
    Total patriot, dominantly charismatic and the best no-nonsense negotiator this country would ever see.
  • Ron 2011/12/05 17:45:43
    Ron
    +1
    Whoever the person was trashed Donald in this article needs to take a stronger med for his hangover. Trump makes money, and refuses to print money. The advantage he has over other Presidents who become elected, and hire smart cabinet members to make their decisions for them is Trump relies on performance, and if you don't perform "You're fired!"
  • Kyle 2011/04/13 21:30:44
    Kyle
    +3
    Yes! Donald Trump is the man that America needs. He says it like it is and doesn't back down to liberals.
  • Cole LaBrant 2011/04/13 21:08:35
    Cole LaBrant
    +2
    Donald Trump is the only man actually standing up to Obama and telling him that he has done nothing! He is the only one that is actually doing something about Obama's birth certificate issue. He is the only one that is going to actually drill for oil! He is also the only one that can get our country back on track and running again.
  • sylvia 2011/04/12 18:40:34
    sylvia
    +2
    YES most definitely! Trump is a very intelligent, charismatic, well known successful business man..sure he's had some bumps in the road like the bankruptcies... but who hasn't? He has risen over those bumps and has had several successful business deals since. He seems to be a good father and his kids are well rounded. I have faith in him and believe he would be a great president....not like this schmuck we have now that hasn't done squat and has no experience whatsoever.
  • Angelina 2011/04/08 02:29:43
    Angelina
    LOL! He is merely a distraction. He is an attention seeking child that wants to seize his way into the spotlight to improve the ratings on his joke of a show. Anyone he believes that he would be an effective leader obviously is focused on his bank account and is seduced by the idiocity of the ideology that wealth equals ability to lead. Be advised: Trump is the fortunate benefactor of his self made Father and grandfather's real estate wealth.Would he be where he is now without the precious trust fund and inheritance that were the base of "his" wealth? Seriously doubt it. Aside from that, anyone that has that amount of money and can't buy a more believable hair piece cannot be trusted. Vote "No" on Trump.
  • Parsons 2011/03/30 07:39:10 (edited)
    Parsons
    +1
    I haven't done as much research into this man as I should have, but here goes: the guy's not a politician. I think this guy would be great for getting the American economy rolling again. He obviously understands the real estate portion of it pretty well. I'm not familiar enough with his foreign policy to make a decision, and our foreign policy is probably the most important thing to look at when considering a candidate for president at this point in time. Obviously Bush's could have used a little work. The result of Libya will be the judge of Obama's foreign policy. But I can't find anything on Trump's.

Edit: Anything substantial and solid. I found a couple of people saying we should just "screw em," but I haven't found an actual web page that outlines his opinions.
  • michael 2011/03/30 02:07:21
    michael
    He would be an AWFUL president------he would be just like Belisconie of Italy another rich man in politics---very prideful and very currupt even stupid in policy matters---the only thing he would care about is having EVERYONE kissing his BUTT regardless of the facts.
  • dani 2011/03/28 18:07:30
    dani
    +64 by DC Pundit

Do you like this question?

+64 Rave
    5 Share
    Widget
    47Share

Posted 03/19/11
    830 votes
    Read all 1,592 opinions

366 votes

44%
    327 votes

39%
    137 votes

17%
    dani Add Pic!
    Join the discussion. Share your opinion with millions!

Hmmmm.

Well, maybe it's his moral compass. Let's see. He was married to Ivanka, until Marla Maples came along. After th...

+64 by DC Pundit

Do you like this question?

+64 Rave
    5 Share
    Widget
    47Share

Posted 03/19/11
    830 votes
    Read all 1,592 opinions

366 votes

44%
    327 votes

39%
    137 votes

17%
    dani Add Pic!

Hmmmm.

• autumn_1959 2011/03/24 16:35:09
    autumn_1959
    maybe but leaning towards west
  • lalouisiane 2011/03/23 20:15:12
    lalouisiane
    +2
    Let's face it!!! Trump would be a deal compared to Obama who has never even run a lemonade stand!!!!

I don't care much for Trump. After Obama... I'm sure I don't have the tolerance for more arrogance from our next President. If all we want is arrogance, we would put former NOLA Mayor Nagin in as President.

But if it was between Obama and Trump... I'd campaign like crazy for Trump!!!

I don't think that will happen. First because I don't think Obama can possibly win and I think the savvy Democrats will not run him again. I also think the Democrat party will become a vast political wasteland. People will not soon forget what the Democrats did to us in this country.

Second... I'm promoting Lt. Col Allen West for President in 2012!!! Now he's a LEADER!!!

West is a leader who has everything we need to get out of the cesspool Obama has wandered into.

I cannot say Obama led us... anywhere. He changes his mind from day to day and plays a lot of golf in between lavish vacations but lead... no. And Obama's reaction time to crisis is measured in weeks... several of them as compared to the minutes it should take a President of the United States of America to react to a crisis.

This war that Obama has involved us in with Libya is a very bad idea.

We should impeach him. ...

We should impeach him. Even Biden would be better until we can get West elected in 2012.

Why Obama should be impeached:

Lt. Col Allen West - President - 2012:

http://allenwestforcongress.c...

youtube comwatch lt col allen west president 2012 httpallenwestforcongress allen west
  • Lanikai lalouis... 2011/03/25 15:13:56
    +2
    I love West, and I would support his campaign as well. He is a true leader and his understanding of the middle east and it's goals and views of us is better then any stupid politician in DC. he has a clear grasp on the facts involved and can obviously manage more then one single thought at a time, and unlike Colin Powell, I would bet he would NEVER traitor his team out.
  • lalouis... Lanikai 2011/03/25 16:26:08
    lalouisiane
    +1
    Thanks Lanikai!!! I appreciate that. My husband is still hoping Colin Powell will run but.. he's too moderate for me. Colin Powell is another John McCain.

One thing is for certain, we will find someone to do the job Obama doesn't want to do!!!

And we won't have any trouble finding someone who will do a MUCH better job than Obama!!
  • Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWC... 2011/03/23 19:06:51
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Why of course he would make a good president.....at least he HAS balanced a checkbook......he's the largest property owner in NYC....yeah he's made some bad investments, but he fired his staff and hired new ones....he seems to be doing ok now.....at least he's not a damn socialist.....he's a smart business man.....hard to argue with a man that has declared bankruptsy and bailed himself out..he sure as hell didn't depend on the government to bail him out......he sure has more business sense than what we have in there now......Obama never even ran a damn lemonade stand......let alone meet a parole.....he's just another Harvard spoon fed, radical marxist elitest.......Yes Trump would trump Obama anyday....
  • Zeuso 2011/03/22 00:43:11
    Zeuso
    +1
    Government should not be run like a business.
  • Deere G... Zeuso 2011/03/23 19:10:37
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Why not?......Why shouldn't they be required to balance the budget?......What right do they have to squander other people's money?......You think they should be allowed to bankrupt this country?.....You like all of the free stuff Obama wants to give everyone?..Who do you think pays for all of the free housing, free education and free medical care?.....Some one has to work to pay for this crap.......40 to 45% of the population don't even pay income tax......that's the problem.....everyone is not contributing, yet hold their hands out for the freebies.....that has never worked and it will never work......it has to stop.....
  • Zeuso Deere G... 2011/03/23 22:56:39
    Zeuso
    +2
    nice tangent you went on there. I was trying to discuss the role of government, and you respond with an ad hominem about how I LOVE Obama and I just want to give away free services to people but not have a way to pay for them. No, that's not it. Usually when you debate, a person presents their argument, you counter with a RELEVANT counterargument.
  • Deere G... Zeuso 2011/03/24 16:24:28
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    I was countering your rediculous statement...."Government should not be run like a business".......That's the EXACT reason we're where we are now......we're bankrupt.....you sure as hell can't run a business like that....neither can you run a government like that and it survive.....and YES it was a RELEVANT counter argument in the event you can't read.....
  • Lanikai Zeuso 2011/03/25 15:14:45
    +2
    yes, in fact, is SHOULD.
  • nathan Zeuso 2011/04/30 04:21:42
    nathan
    +4
    are you kidding me if goverment was run like a bisness we wouldent have taxes any more espesially if it became profitable. trump so far is the only one i would vote for.man wish bill clinton could run again rember when we wernt in debt i do remimber when jobs where plentaful i do
  • Nutty McFinklestein 2011/03/21 21:27:51 (edited)
    Nutty McFinklestein
    They guy has gone bankrupt and bounced back. Now, while this is fine for a business man; the country can't afford to go bankrupt even once. Business strategy, actually not even business strategy, money making strategy, does not equate to management of a nation. if he had run a venture for decades, that would be different. But that's not the type of business man he is, and not the type of president we need.

I still respect him though.
  • Lanikai Nutty M... 2011/03/25 15:15:19
    +1
    So, the 14 trillion in debt obie gave us is fine with you?

Okay then.
  • Nutty M... Lanikai 2011/03/25 22:23:10
    Nutty McFinklestein
    That's been building for decades. If you think somehow Government can be run the same as business, you're dreaming.
  • Wayne 2011/03/21 19:39:38
    Wayne
    NO
  • Ron Hanforth 2011/03/21 19:37:07
    Ron Hanforth
    He's a publicity hound and I dont take his bid seriously.
  • Deere G... Ron Han... 2011/03/23 19:16:08
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    No ones anymore of a publicity hound than Obama......all he's done since he got elected is to roam all over the world criticizing the US and engaging in 60+ golf outings...all he's done is make one campaign speech after another....now he's in Rio and South America while Japan suffers, the economy is in the tank, unemployment is now over 10% and he's started a war without really giving a reason as to why and offering no leadership whatsoever while he's costing 100's of thousands of dollars flying a 747 all over the globe....the man is totally out of touch with his surroundings....he's totally over his head right now....... ..he has contributed absolutely nothing.....
  • Ron Han... Deere G... 2011/03/23 19:34:21
    Ron Hanforth
    and your point is??
  • Deere G... Ron Han... 2011/03/23 20:00:58
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Donald Trump don't need the publicity nor the money.........my point is, he would do a helluva lot better job than the socialist we have in there now......
  • Ron Han... Deere G... 2011/03/23 20:09:50
    Ron Hanforth
    1. No matter who you are, you can always use more money.and he is not is a billionair­e..
    2. TRUMP is not a good business man....all the bankruptci­es...the banks having to bail him out...etc. It's all doscumented
    3. He's a celebrity.­..a showman.. The thought of him being at the helm of this country is frightenin­g. He'll make a circus out of the presidency­.
    4. The question was..Would Donald Trump Make a Good President? So your point about Obama is moot ..
    5. I'm a conservative, so if you are trying to rattle me about Obama, it's not working.
  • Deere G... Ron Han... 2011/03/24 16:26:50
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I'm not at all saying that I want Trump to be president......given a choice between he and Obama, YES I would vote for him.....and judging from your statements I doubt very seriously you're a conservative......
  • Ron Han... Deere G... 2011/03/25 18:56:34
    Ron Hanforth
    more a true conservative than a blind flag waiver.
  • Deere G... Ron Han... 2011/03/25 19:57:01
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Well, I'm no blind flag waiver.......just a very pragmatic conservative....
  • Ron Han... Deere G... 2011/03/25 21:44:28
    Ron Hanforth
    ok, so put me to the task, where are my comments reflective of anything other than a conservative?
  • ɟʇʇoɔs 2011/03/21 19:36:25
    ɟʇʇoɔs
    +2
    Here is why I say yes. He has some sort of leadership experience, as a CEO. He may have had a few setbacks, but I think he is fiscally responsible, he would be an improvement over the current clown...
  • Mike lewis ɟʇʇoɔs 2011/03/22 13:53:35
    Mike lewis
    +1
    I GOT A LOT OF RESPONSES WITH MY YES WITH MY MODIFIER BEING " SHREWD"--LET ME ADD TRICKY, CLEVER, UNDERHANDED,OBLIQUE,FURTIVE,S... MANIPULATIVE , AND , ONLY , SO THAT WE WILL KEEP WINNING--THE PRESIDENCY HAS NO ROOM FOR A GOODY TWO SHOES LEADER WHEN IT'S A MATTER OF PROTECTING US
  • Lanikai Mike lewis 2011/03/26 16:55:29
    +1
    Well, then, we need to get rid of obie the cash redistributor, do gooder, QUICKLY
  • 2226693 2011/03/21 19:35:12
  • Richard Hungwell AKA Relent... 2011/03/21 19:23:16
    Richard Hungwell AKA Relentless
    +3
    I love how all these people are deciding based on a reality show he hosts. You do realize he's not really like that, right? Besides its only for 4 years. Maybe he could turn the current debt situation around.Sure he's had some debt issue in the past but now he's at a net worth of ~$2,700,000,000 i would be willing to say that is a little better than most of us are doing, myself included?
  • Deere G... Richard... 2011/03/23 19:17:31
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    and sports a 100 ft yacht......
  • Azrael-In GOD we trust 2011/03/21 19:02:55
    Azrael-In GOD we trust
    +3
    I believe he is the best conservative so far. He's a businessman and it will take a business person to run the office of the presidency.

2014/12/20 08:42:15