Without cheating, where does the term "slave" come from?

Gracie - Proud Conservative 2013/07/18 21:17:37
Related Topics: cheat, Cheating
It comes from...
IDK and I'm not even going to guess...
If you don't know, take a guess but try not to cheat!

It comes from...
    +9
    Believe it or not, it comes from the Slavic people. Those Romans had a nasty habit of making slaves of them. They then came to call all slaves by the name of the Slavs. Talk about discrimination!

• Jordyn ~Nerdfighter~ 2013/07/31 22:39:01
    It comes from...
    Jordyn ~Nerdfighter~
    +1
    Slavics! (Not cheating, I promise)

No one really used to be a fan of those Eastern European powers, and the Mongols were a definite downer
  • Beccy 2013/07/23 02:13:30
    IDK and I'm not even going to guess...
    +1
    Could it be when the Jews were slaves in Egypt?
  • Gracie ... Beccy 2013/07/23 17:10:59
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    The Slavs from Eastern Europe.
  • Kityn 2013/07/20 05:31:59
    It comes from...
    Kityn
    +3
    Most say its from the word Slav, but some theories say it come from the old Greek word skyleúo. I read a lot about Greece & myths... that's the only reason I know this...LOL
  • akPhilly 2013/07/20 04:08:35
    It comes from...
    akPhilly
    +2
    Now I could be totally wrong on this, but I think it has something to do with the word slav, as in originating from the word slavic?
  • Gracie ... akPhilly 2013/07/20 04:24:13
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    So many smart people here!
  • goatman112003 2013/07/20 02:06:21
    It comes from...
    goatman112003
    +2
    It comes from the slavic group of people as everybody went there to capture them and use them as slaves including the Vikings.
  • EDWARD G 2013/07/19 18:20:24
    It comes from...
    EDWARD G
    +3
    It comes from the word "Slav". There was a very active slave trade involving Slavic people.
  • no no 2013/07/19 17:57:54
    It comes from...
    no no
    +2
    Marianne is correct, no need to repeat it.
  • Marianne no no 2013/07/22 18:31:16
    Marianne
    Thank you.

Unfortunately, we must refer to many assumptions regarding ancient times, but slavery exists since long, long before the great markets in the times of the European conquests and colonialisation policy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/... (general information)

Citing:
    Evidence of slavery predates written records, and has existed in many cultures.[8] Slavery is rare among hunter–gatherer populations, as slavery is a system of social stratification. Mass slavery also requires economic surpluses and a high population density to be viable. Due to these factors, the practice of slavery would have only proliferated after the invention of agriculture during the Neolithic Revolution about 11,000 years ago.[4]
    Slavery was known in civilizations as old as Sumer, as well as almost every other ancient civilization, including Ancient Egypt, Ancient China, the Akkadian Empire, Assyria, Ancient India, Ancient Greece, the Roman Empire, the Islamic Caliphate, and the pre-Columbian civilizations of the Americas.[8] Such institutions were a mixture of debt-slavery, punishment for crime, the enslavement of prisoners of war, child abandonment, and the birth of slave children to slaves.[9]
    ...
    David P. Forsythe wrote: "The fact remained that at the beginning of the nineteenth century an estimated...

Thank you.

Citing:
    ...
    David P. Forsythe wrote: "The fact remained that at the beginning of the nineteenth century an estimated three-quarters of all people alive were trapped in bondage against their will either in some form of slavery or serfdom."[5]

Furthermore, throughout history, the largely dominating feudal, patriarchal and belliquous tribal dynasties. groups or leaders kept and maintained large parts of their subjects or prisoners in serfdom, like the "villains", for instance, who were hardly better off than slaves.

And today (citing):
    Slavery is no longer legal anywhere in the world.[6] Mauritania abolished it in law in 1981[7] and was the last country to do so – see Abolition of slavery timeline.

Sadly enough, there is hardly consequent law enforcement in many countries of the world, especially in poverty, disaster and war stricken zones, including regions controlled by organised crime, terrorism and despots or suffering from widespread corruption.

Violence, abuse, perversion, cruelty and oppression are as ancient as human history.

Homo sapiens sapiens wanted to dominate nature, but instead of respecting its laws and its balance, he distanced himself from his environment with civilisation, wasted and overexploited many of its essential resources, including his weaker neighbours, and that long before the industrial era.
  • Bocephus 2013/07/19 17:34:04
  • TuringsChild 2013/07/19 17:00:15
    It comes from...
    TuringsChild
    +1
    'Slave' comes very close to 'slav', so I'm going to say the first slaves were from the Slavic countries of eastern Europe.
  • Gracie ... Turings... 2013/07/19 17:00:50
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Yes indeed! Bravo!
  • Deborah McGrath 2013/07/19 16:37:52
    IDK and I'm not even going to guess...
    Deborah McGrath
    +2
    I am going to guess this came to me right away does it come from the word slavic ?
    I'm going to look in the dictionary now.I checked It comes from but my vote got switched.
    It's a good guess let's see if I'm right. Stay cool and well hydrated everyone !
  • Gracie ... Deborah... 2013/07/19 16:59:32
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Good job!
  • Deborah... Gracie ... 2013/07/19 18:02:28
  • Car1u5~PWCM~JLA 2013/07/19 15:24:21
    IDK and I'm not even going to guess...
    Car1u5~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I cheated anyway.
  • Gracie ... Car1u5~... 2013/07/19 16:59:44
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    LOL!
  • Car1u5~... Gracie ... 2013/07/19 17:02:37
    Car1u5~PWCM~JLA
    At least I am honest and picked the idk answer even though I cheated.
  • ☆Snapefangirl☆ 2013/07/19 15:11:54
    It comes from...
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    +2
    It came from the Slavic peoples who were often enslaved by the Romans.
  • Marianne 2013/07/19 09:59:12
    It comes from...
    Marianne
    +3
    The term slave is related to the old Slavs - the similarity of the two words is striking in many languages; it comes

- from the Medieval Latin word "sclavus" and took its "definition" in the time in which many Slavs from the Balkans (South Slavs) were massively caught or bought and sold into slavery, i.e. around the 10th century, as they were considered as barbarians and heathen by the Christianised civilisations in West Europe and in the Byzantine Empire (the Russian world, by then, was still small, rather remote, and it adhered to Orthodox Christianity around 988). The term probably originated in sclavone from Slavon, the medieval Slavic language, i.e. словѣнинъ (slovnin = Slav);
    - from the Medieval Greek word σκλάβος (sklávos = slave) and σλαβικός (slavikόs = Slav), created for the same "commercial" reasons.

The Latin word "servus" was still used at the same time, it became "serf" in Old English (from Old French "serf" for unfree labour people, servants and peasants from the lowest classes), but "servus" took by then the meaning for a slave, considered as a human, with certain rights, while "sclavus" was a mere "thing" or "merchandise".

The Greek word "helot" (εἵλωτες, heílotes) was an equivalent to the Roman "servus", i.e. a servant of the class of serfs in ancient Sparta, neither a slave nor a free citizen, or a person in servitude, i.e. a serf.
  • Theodon 2013/07/19 05:54:52 (edited)
    It comes from...
    Theodon
    +3
    i have not cheated

but the word comes from the slavic countries of south eastern europe

for centuries the ottoman empire (muslims) raided these christian countries and took slavic captives be sold as "slavs" or "slaves" in the flesh markets of arabia and north africa

ironic, ain't it?
  • sbtbill Theodon 2013/07/19 06:19:39
    sbtbill
    +1
    Sounds more likely then the Romans. Could have been the Byzantines.
  • Theodon sbtbill 2013/07/20 05:40:52
    Theodon
    +1
    nah, i did not cheat as the host asked but i have come across this in history books in my past reading more than once

it was the muslim turks who gave the name "slav" to "slave"
  • illinoyed 2013/07/19 05:49:19
    IDK and I'm not even going to guess...
    illinoyed
    +1
    I learned something new today! Thanks, Gracie.
  • hazel 2013/07/19 04:27:44
    IDK and I'm not even going to guess...
    hazel
    +1
    DONT KNOW?? EGYPT
  • Gracie ... hazel 2013/07/19 14:17:02
  • hazel Gracie ... 2013/07/19 14:21:14
    hazel
    OH I KNEW THAT............................
  • Diane Spraggs Yates 2013/07/19 04:27:05
    It comes from...
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +1
    Bible Hebrew slaves.
  • Gracie ... Diane S... 2013/07/19 14:17:32
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Slavs of Eastern Europe.
  • Diane S... Gracie ... 2013/07/20 05:17:11
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +1
    I was guessing !!!
  • Angel 2013/07/19 04:26:27
    It comes from...
    Angel
    +3
    only guessing I would think it came from Roman days, not sure though
  • Gracie ... Angel 2013/07/19 14:18:20
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Slavs of Eastern Europe...they've been a historically abused people!
  • golem48 2013/07/19 03:30:59
    It comes from...
    golem48
    +2
    Slavs, when Muslims abducted them and enslaved them..
  • srini 2013/07/19 03:20:16
    It comes from...
    srini
    +2
    Slavs, who were under domination of Rome and Parthia
  • keeper 2013/07/19 02:52:36
    It comes from...
    keeper
    +3
    Biblical times when one grroup of people would conquer another group of people.
  • Gracie ... keeper 2013/07/19 03:10:11
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +4
    No, good guess but it comes from Slav, like the Slavs!
  • keeper Gracie ... 2013/07/19 03:15:01
    keeper
    +3
    Thanks Gracie... I thought of who were the first "slaves" instead of where the word came from... You are right, of course...
  • Marianne keeper 2013/07/22 20:17:24
    Marianne
    +1
    Hello Keeper,
    There is much literature about slavery; if you'd like to get more information, check first the general links and look into the references:
    Have a great afternoon.
  • keeper Marianne 2013/07/24 19:24:28
    keeper
    +2
    Thanks Marianne..

2014/11/26 17:32:31