Within A Decade Of The UK Banning And Confiscating Handguns, Crimes Involving Handguns Doubled… Will stricter control of firearms make America safer?

CAPISCE 2012/12/28 13:47:42
yes
Americans are determined that massacres such as happened in Newtown, Conn., never happen again. But how? Many advocate more effective treatment of mentally-ill people or armed protection in so-called gun-free zones. Many others demand stricter control of firearms.. We aren’t alone in facing this problem. Great Britain and Australia, for example, suffered mass shootings in the 1980s and 1990s. Both countries had very stringent gun laws when they occurred. Nevertheless, both decided that even stricter control of guns was the answer. Their experiences can be instructive.

In 1987, Michael Ryan went on a shooting spree in his small town of Hungerford, England, killing 16 people (including his mother) and wounding another 14 before shooting himself. Since the public was unarmed—as were the police—Ryan wandered the streets for eight hours with two semiautomatic rifles and a handgun before anyone with a firearm was able to come to the rescue.
Nine years later, in March 1996, Thomas Hamilton, a man known to be mentally unstable, walked into a primary school in the Scottish town of Dunblane and shot 16 young children and their teacher. He wounded 10 other children and three other teachers before taking his own life.

After Hungerford, the British government banned semiautomatic rifles and brought shotguns—the last type of firearm that could be purchased with a simple show of fitness—under controls similar to those in place for pistols and rifles. Magazines were limited to two shells with a third in the chamber.

Dunblane had a more dramatic impact. Hamilton had a firearm certificate, although according to the rules he should not have been granted one. A media frenzy coupled with an emotional campaign by parents of Dunblane resulted in the Firearms Act of 1998, which instituted a nearly complete ban on handguns. Owners of pistols were required to turn them in. The penalty for illegal possession of a pistol is up to 10 years in prison.
The results have not been what proponents of the act wanted.
Within a decade of the handgun ban and the confiscation of handguns from registered owners, crime with handguns had doubled according to British government crime reports. Gun crime, not a serious problem in the past, now is. Armed street gangs have some British police carrying guns for the first time. Moreover, another massacre occurred in June 2010. Derrick Bird, a taxi driver in Cumbria, shot his brother and a colleague then drove off through rural villages killing 12 people and injuring 11 more before killing himself.

• Risk 2012/12/28 14:24:58
    Risk
    +10
    The REAL genuine solution is to outlaw Liberals and their Political Correctness ! Then allow common sense with common sense solutions to take over !

• OPen Minded 2013/02/22 04:51:23
    OPen Minded
    not safer for the law-abiding citizen. Only safer for the criminals.
  • cc 2012/12/30 22:33:38
    cc
    Funny how that works.
  • Greg Saunders 2012/12/30 17:35:44
    yes
    Greg Saunders
    +1
    You can read all sorts of statistics but generally gun crimes in the UK have been dropping after that peak to a low now of about 20 years ago. Your essay ignores the other reasons for crime in general which rose as well, did they ban crime as well since it rose too? Because that's the logic here.

Since the gun crime rates have been falling was that because they then laxed the laws? You can't have your logic both ways.

In 2011 England, Wales and N.Ireland (Scotland had none) had 11 homocides by gun though the US for the same year had 8,583 which is 0.002 of the population total while the UK had 0.00001, quite a difference and the truth.
  • OPen Mi... Greg Sa... 2013/02/22 04:58:00
    OPen Minded
    Greg - Gun crime, maybe. How about violent crime overall?

UK is violent crime capital of Europe
    The United Kingdom is the violent crime capital of Europe and has one of the highest rates of violence in the world, worse even than America, according to new research.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...
  • Greg Sa... OPen Mi... 2013/02/23 09:56:25
    Greg Saunders
    Yes that's true also but while the Telegraph was happy to publish hype like this other papers like the Guardian show how it breaks down in detail.

The UK forces strangely count all crimes whereas in the US the FBI doesn't even include many unless they are serious crimes. In the UK even reported crimes are counted as are threats, grabbing, forcing and violent intent, for example the US only count aggravated assault and forcible rape, whereas the UK count an assault as unlawfully touching or pushing someone. A sexual crime can be just grabbing a woman in the UK which inflates the figures overall..

Gun crimes in the UK can be someone just waving a gun as a threat without actually injuring someone or even firing it, in fact only a small percentage are even fired (roughly only 20%) because it's seen as much more serious and being illegal and also more expensive they won't take the risk of losing it.

They also include air guns, crossbows and other weapons which aren't considered at all by the FBI, in fact there are crimes which the FBI never get to hear about as the various police departments don't even report many minor crimes which the UK do.

If we removed those minor crimes as in the US the gap widens further but there is one advantage to a gun culture, minor crimes like stealing a ...

If we removed those minor crimes as in the US the gap widens further but there is one advantage to a gun culture, minor crimes like stealing a bike or burglary in general etc are more likely to happen since they're not expecting the owner to shoot them. That much is true but it has to be said if a burglar is startled he is far more likely to run rather than risk hand to hand combat and more likely to be caught whereas in the US the owner has the possibility of a shoot out in his own home.

The chances of someone in the UK having to fight for his life in his own home is rare and the type that would attack instead of fleeing would no doubt be far quicker to pull a trigger anyway if they had one on them at the time.
  • Brandon 2012/12/30 09:32:40
    Brandon
    We're doomed.
  • Mopheadmusic2000 2012/12/30 03:32:43
    Mopheadmusic2000
    +1
    I'm certain that MORE laws will be welcomed by terrorists and thugs. Yes, the answer is MORE regulation!!!!!
  • Technotrucker_exposingthetruth 2012/12/29 23:29:07
    Technotrucker_exposingthetruth
    +3
    One armed citizen is better than an entire police force when the citizen is already on the scene.
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/12/29 20:49:44
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
  • Golden Panther 2012/12/29 19:48:19
    Golden Panther
    +2
    Absolutely not...every country that made tighter gun controls have had astronomical increase in crime. However, even worse is that after the bad guys control the guns they then take over the countries...see: Nazi Germany, Communist Russia, China, Cuba, and the rest of the stupid folks that wrapped themselves in the hammer and sickle. Guess who is next...when obumavich and his Jack-booted thugs get done taking us all the way into the communist, Islam, and racist cesspool.
  • Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2012/12/29 19:45:54
    Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    +1
    I could make the argument that we might be slightly (very slightly) safer however I would be willing to be 100% less safe if that meant I was 100% more free. It is not about "will it work"... the question is really "is it worth it".

I will pose this question to you as I see the opportunity. How can you be such a strong supporter of the second amendment yet also a strong supporter of the war on pot? How is it that a product manufactured to kill and hurt ppl is an acceptable risk in the name of freedom, but a product that can't kill ppl, affects only the user, and is not proven to be any more addictive than ice cream cannot be allowed in our society????? Explain to me how letting ppl have assault weapons is less of a risk than letting them get hungry, happy, and sleepy by use of a plant?????
  • Arizona1950 2012/12/29 19:32:43
    Arizona1950
    +1
    allowing criminals to arm themselves or to be armed by our elected for special interests and kickbacks is not the way to go.

allowing criminals arm armed elected kickbacks
  • Tee Quake 2012/12/29 19:27:40
    Tee Quake
    +1
    It's a bunch of feel good malarkey engineered by libtards to make them feel better and like they're doing something useful. All you have to do is look at the idiot politicians supporting this gun ban nonsense (Fienstein\Bloomberg) to know its a load of crap. Everywhere where citizens are permitted to arm themselves, gun violence decreases. If a teacher in Newtown had been armed and trained or if there'd been an SRO, chances are that tragedy would never have happened. I'm so sick of knee jerk leftist quick fix bull that always means taking away OUR rights and giving the government more power.
  • andy15554 2012/12/29 18:43:42
    andy15554
    +1
    If only the government and criminals had guns, how would we be safer?
  • Just me ♥ 2012/12/29 18:33:13
    Just me ♥
  • No
    One of Y'shua's,דָּנִיֵּאל
    Just more innocent will be killed in this CLIMATE OF HATE BY THE VERY PEOPLE TRYING TO ALL OUTLAW GUNS...MANY INNOCENT WILL DIE IF THIS IS DONE.... either by the GOVT or CRIMINALS...which both are one in the same....
  • barbara.braim 2012/12/29 17:51:58
    barbara.braim
    +2
    A quote from Mohandas Gandhi. "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest" Mohandas Gandhi, and Autobiography, page 44.
    +2
    I don't think so at all because what if someone just wants a gun to protect his/her family especially if he or her family is being threatened.
  • Dave 2012/12/29 07:16:08 (edited)
    yes
    Dave
    And where did you find this enlightenment? You have no references to sources. Let's just put it this way - the USA kills it's own at a higher rate than any other country.

So what do you want to do, Mr. NRA? More guns isn't a solution. That's like saying to control auto deaths we need more cars on the road. It doesn't make sense.

Do you want our educational system to look like a prison? That isn't conducive to learning. Oh - wait! You Right Wingnuts would love to destroy the educational system even further. I'm sick of your ignorance.

Oh and another point - Why are all you Right Wingnuts so afraid of your country? What's it like to live in fear every day of people?
  • barbara... Dave 2012/12/29 16:50:37 (edited)
    barbara.braim
    +1
    The schools that Congresses children, and the Presidents children attend have armed police protecting them. Are their children more precious than mine? Dave, what are you afraid of, why do you want to take guns away from "every day" people? Also, the Liberals have been running the schools for the last 40 years, and I agree with you that our educational system has been destroyed.
    Dave, why do you feel that you have to call people, that you don't agree with, names? You sound so angry.
  • Dave barbara... 2012/12/29 19:48:11
    Dave
    I'd say the president's children are at a greater risk than yours. lol Geez! Wake up. The chances of your kid drowning in a bath tub are a lot more greater than a gun battle in school.

You don't get it - you are the one that is afraid because you believe guns are an answer. The fact that you are willing to allow guns into all aspects of your life or your childrens speaks volumes. You Right Wingnuts cry about a police state and you don't even realize that you are developing it yourselves. lol

You refuse to do anything to improve the situation - just accept it and stock pile guns as an answer. "No child left behind" isn't a "Liberal's" program.

And what - is Right Wingnut a bad name? Embrace it. You are willing to force me to live in a country that you want - not a country that we both could live in. That is what I call fascism and you Right Wingnuts are responsible for it - though you have no idea what you are doing. That is nutty. I'm not angry - but I sure am not going to walk away from any of you Right Wingnuts. Oohh - gee! And I don't have a gun either!
  • barbara... Dave 2012/12/29 22:26:31 (edited)
    barbara.braim
    +1
    Alright Dave, if you think that the children in this country are in less danger of being murdered in school than drowning in a bubble bath, then why all this fuss about guns. Lets ban bubble bath. I haven't heard of any shooting's in schools where our government officials children go. Could that be because they have armed guards in them?

Dave you have no idea if I stock pile guns or if I even have a gun in my house. What I'm afraid is of people like you, who have no respect for our constitution. People like you, who can't see that their freedoms are being taken away from them, or maybe don't care. And no one is forcing you to live here, which is another wonderful thing about this country. Maybe you should move to France, or the UK, or maybe China, you might then appreciate our country a little more, and quit trying to change it.

No child left behind was developed by President Bush and Ted Kennedy. Conservatives considered it a Liberal program.

There are a lot of names I could call people like you Dave, but I choose not to. Mama always said when you start calling people names, you've lost the debate.
  • Dave barbara... 2012/12/30 06:50:28
    Dave
    Barbara - I don't even believe what you typed. lol You have to be a plant for the NRA or a Sodahead stooge. How much are you paid? Constitution - 2nd amendment - blah, blah, blah. Then buy yourself a musket. Blah, blah, blah, move to China or France. How much FOX or Limbaugh do you listen to? Can you possibly think on your own?

What scares me most are people like you that are out to destroy the educational system. You want schools to be like prisons. I don't give a s*** who developed "No Child Left Behind" - it's a failure and since Reagan the educational system in the USA has been a dismal mess.

Your mama was an idiot. Let loose - you haven't a clue - but keep collecting those checks.
  • barbara... Dave 2013/06/05 01:36:36
    barbara.braim
    Dave, the educational system started going down hill when the unions took over. Now it's more about the teachers than the children. It also has a lot to do with what they are teaching and not teaching in the schools. Many years ago, when I was in grade school, we were taught reading, writing, math, history, etc.
    Most social issues were considered the parents responsibility. Now it seems that the social issues are top priory in the schools. I read a while back, that children who completed high school in the 50s, 60s, and 70s had the equivalent education of a college grad in the 2000s. You can blame the Republicans for the bad schools, but you are so totally wrong. Most of the teachers are liberals.

Dave there you go again, presuming something that you have no idea about. Because I don't agree with you I have to be NRA , or a Sodahead stooge. LOL
    Dave I've never held a gun in my life, I don't even like hunting, or fishing. My concern is about the Constitution, and taking people's rights from them.

And my dear mother was no idiot she was one of the smartest women I've ever known. My Dad and my mother were both Democrats growing up, but became Republicans after they realized that the Democratic Party had changed..

Have a nice evening Dave.
  • Jeff Smith 2012/12/29 07:01:47
    Jeff Smith
    +1
    Just no
  • kiote1963 2012/12/29 06:47:10
    kiote1963
    +2
    Guns were banned in Chicago and now it is the WORLDS most deadliest city...that's what gun control does.
    http://www.nbcchicago.com/blo...
  • Jerimia 2012/12/29 06:18:23
    Jerimia
    +2
    No. Does De-clawing a cat make it safer from a cat killing dog? Did disarming the Jews make the Warsaw Ghettos safer during the Nazi occupation? Did banning guns protect the Japanese commuters on the train make them safe from that cult that spread the nerve gas? Did banning guns protect Lord Mountbatten from the Irish Terrorists?

Does having ARMED guards make Obama safer when outside of the white-house?

C'mon lieberals! Wake up and use the brain God gave you! You are in danger every day from SOMETHING. (Government comes to mind quite readily)
  • P. Sturm 2012/12/29 04:28:18
    P. Sturm
    +2
    Nope, it'll just turn us into an open field of defenseless victims.
  • bob h. 2012/12/29 04:11:03
    yes
    bob h.
    +1
    Gunshot deaths in the US are 10.2 per 100,000. England 0.25 per 100,000. FOS as usual.
  • topcat128 2012/12/29 02:05:31
    topcat128
    +1
    It's a known fact, Gun Control in the UK is not working. Guns are everywhere.
  • bob h. topcat128 2012/12/29 04:13:28
    bob h.
    +1
    Gunshot deaths are 40:1 US:England. It's a known fact to anyone who looks.
  • CAPISCE bob h. 2012/12/29 18:26:54
    CAPISCE
    +1
    If you feel you are safer without a gun don't own a gun. I feel my gun keeps me and my family safer so keep your mitts of my choice.
  • Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA 2012/12/29 01:53:41
    Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    The very epitome of absurdity. The only 'control' on guns Americans need, or will abide (wait and see), is training for the tightest shot group.
  • bob h. Lawnmow... 2012/12/29 04:14:19
    bob h.
    +1
    And how's that working. Psst...targets don't shoot back.
  • CAPISCE bob h. 2012/12/29 18:28:22 (edited)
    CAPISCE
    Do you really believe it's a good idea to admit your home is unrmed on a public website? No too bright if you asked me
  • bob h. CAPISCE 2012/12/29 20:53:41
    bob h.
    I guess admitting you own guns isn't that bright either. Any burglar looking for a place to rob has now found one. He just waits for you to leave. Did you think they were after your TV?
  • kobidobidog 2012/12/29 00:15:57
    kobidobidog
    Those that don't want to have eternal joy will use a gun to kill mistakenly thinking that a gun is power.
  • Jim 2012/12/28 23:55:55
    Jim
    Of course not. Criminals don't use legal guns. In the Sandy Hook killings, the guns were stolen. What we need in enforcement of the laws now in place and stricter penalties for committing crimes with a weapon. You use a gun in a crime, life in prison without the possibility of parole. Someone dies while committing a crime with a gun, you get the death penalty.
  • bob h. Jim 2012/12/29 04:14:54
    bob h.
    +1
    BS thru and thru.
  • Jim bob h. 2012/12/30 02:07:54
    Jim
    Prove me wrong! You made a statement, now back it up.

2014/07/23 16:27:22