Wisconsin Recall Sputters?

~ The Rebel ~ 2012/05/09 09:33:52
That sound you hear may be the sputtering of Wisconsin Democrats and public-sector unions’ campaign to oust Republican Gov. Scott Walker. On Tuesday, Democrats went to the polls to choose a candidate to square off against Walker in next month’s recall election. But the union-led opposition’s hopes that the standard bearer would be a Big Labor darling were dashed with the election of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, rather than the unions’ preferred candidate, Democratic operative Kathleen Falk. Falk’s defeat marks only the latest setback for a recall campaign that is increasingly running out of steam.

While he is also committed to restoring collective bargaining, he has said that he would do so by introducing the issue in a special legislative session. The latter is particularly unattractive to unions because it would require Republican support for the legislation. Barrett’s victory in the Tuesday primary means the unions’ dreams of restoring collective bargaining through gubernatorial fiat have been shattered.

Yet another setback for the unions is that their efforts to turn the recall into a referendum on collective bargaining appear to have failed.

Read More: http://frontpagemag.com/2012/05/09/wisconsin-recal...

• tbird13 2012/05/09 15:48:35
    tbird13
    +2
    Here's what's interesting about your comment. I am a teacher in Madison, am pro-union and I voted for Barret. The reason I voted for him was because I did not want my candidate to go into office with the my way or the highway retoric that Republicans have brought into our state capitol. The moment Falk accepted WEAC's endorsement and promised to veto any budget that did not include the restoration of collective bargaining rights, I immediately started looking elsewhere. So to your comment that the movement is peetering out....you can not be more wrong. In fact the movement has only been made stronger. We now have a candidate that voters can trust will not be just another bully politician as Walker and the Fitzgerald brothers have been. Wisconsin voters have a clear choice and Barret will win. He will bring the two sides together....moderates and liberals. And eventually, not immediately, Wisconsin will return to our roots of supporting labor and collective bargaining rights.
  • MW121 2012/05/09 11:10:17
    MW121
    +3
    Go Walker...
    Hope not! Boot Walkers ass to the curb.
  • JoeBtfsplk 2012/05/09 10:02:39
    JoeBtfsplk
    +3
    That should put a measurable dent in the union coffers.

I'm glad they had to spend a good portion of their treasure chest on a lost-cause.
  • Bali 2012/05/09 09:40:31
    Bali
    +4
    love it reb.....it should sputter and then quietly croak.

2014/09/24 02:32:45