Wind Power Threatens Eagle Population: Save the Wind Turbines or the Eagles?

With great power comes great sacrifice. Take wind power, for instance. California has been working hard to get away from fossil-fueled electricity by turning to wind power, the fastest growing part of the state's green energy portfolio.

But, according to Fox News, environmental advocates, of all people, are up in arms because protected species of eagles, hawks and owls have become the unintended victims of this green dream.

"The cumulative impacts are huge," said Shawn Smallwood, described by Fox as "one of the few recognized experts" studying the impact of wind farms on migratory birds. "It is not inconceivable to me that we could reduce golden eagle populations by a great deal, if not wipe them out."

With around 2,500 golden eagles, California's largest wind farms kill, on average, more than 80 of the birds a year. The state is planning to triple its wind capacity as it tries to become the first to generate one-third of its electricity from clean energy by 2020.

State officials say they would prefer to have no dead birds, but the desire to balance all the needs of society means that some birds might become victims. A similar problem has occurred in the Bay Area at the Altamont Pass Wind Resource Area, a state-approved wind farm built with federal tax credits, that reportedly kills 4,700 birds annually. One way Smallwood said they could cut down that kill ratio in half is by replacing smaller, older turbines with larger blades.

• Razoreye001 2011/10/16 22:07:44
    Save the eagles
    Razoreye001
    there is always other means of green energy.
  • Derek Armstrong 2011/08/23 23:42:57
    Save the eagles
    Derek Armstrong
    Of course save the eagles. And other birds. The American Wind Association says that 6 birds are killed for every 1 megawat turbine per year, meaning that if we reach our goal of 20% or more windpower nationally we'll kill 1.8 million birds a year. See story at http://dufferinwindpower.com
  • ram 2011/08/19 14:37:49
    Save the eagles
    ram
    no comment, just common sense.
  • gunner 2011/08/19 03:13:03
    Save the wind turbines
    gunner
    There are plenty eagles, and they can fly somewhere else. They will learn to.
  • JeffDeWitt 2011/08/19 02:39:50
    Save the eagles
    JeffDeWitt
    The greenie weenies would rather have us give up on electricity and go back to reading by candlelight... then they would try to ban candles because ... well they would come up with some stupid reason.

Nuclear power and figure out how to do fusion... that's the answer, not breezes and sunshine.
  • gunner JeffDeWitt 2011/08/19 03:18:15
    gunner
    Candles rely on wax. We would be robbing the bees. Only firelight , no , that wouldn`t do either. We would be harming trees, and depriving the birds somewhere to sit. Nuclear power will not work either, because we have no answer what to do with the waste. The problem will take care of itself, public schools stopped teaching how to read years ago. Hurts the little darlings self esteem.
  • JeffDeWitt gunner 2011/08/19 03:28:34
    JeffDeWitt
    +1
    Can't let minor things like the three "R"s interfere with the vital job the schools have of teaching tolerance, diversity, and global warming.
  • gunner JeffDeWitt 2011/08/21 04:34:37
    gunner
    I actually like eagles. I`ve watched them fish , a very graceful bird. We have many microwave towers in our area. They are quite deadly for birds. The birds have learned to stay away from them. But where is the fuss over them ? Makes me wonder what is the real agenda here.
  • JeffDeWitt gunner 2011/08/21 16:00:30
    JeffDeWitt
    How are the microwave towers deadly for birds?

Also the whole point of the windmills is to be "green", so if this green technology is killing birds that kind of ironic to say the least. I don't know of any cases where eagles have been killed by a US commercial nuclear power plant.
  • gunner JeffDeWitt 2011/08/28 13:55:02
    gunner
    I don`t know exactly how the birds die,but when we moved to the area,the neighbors claimed it to be so.And said there were dead ones around the towers.Maybe they get fried ?
  • JeffDeWitt gunner 2011/08/28 14:13:42
    JeffDeWitt
    +1
    If they hung around right in front of the horn of antenna I could see it, but that seems an unlikely place to hang around.

FYI: I've heard the genesis of the microwave oven is technicians working on those antenna's realized that something put in front would get hot, and they would put hot dogs on sticks and hold them right in front of the antenna horn to cook them.
  • gunner JeffDeWitt 2011/09/03 05:23:19
    gunner
    I really don`t know much about them,but a cooked hotdog sounds plausible.I will share that I`ve not seen any birds sitting on them.
  • Anna E 2011/08/19 02:01:27
    Save the eagles
    Anna E
    Put deterrents on or near the turbines. DUH
  • twhiting9275 2011/08/19 00:32:11
    Save the eagles
    twhiting9275
    No question. You can rebuild turbines elsewhere. They're not creatures, they're not living, breathing organisms. Sorry, turbines lose this round
  • HOMBRE 2011/08/18 22:51:10
    Save the eagles
    HOMBRE
    Funny how quiet the libtards get. Maybe if we keep quiet nobody will find out.
  • Kigan 2011/08/18 16:33:47 (edited)
    Save the eagles
    Kigan
    Why not research and move away from the endangered birds?

So many half-baked plans these days.

And I'm sure we'll soon see the people asking why we value birds over planet preservation.

I laugh at the irony already.
  • Catita 2011/08/18 15:54:22
    Save the eagles
    Catita
    yes, of course, by all means, The Eagles, absolutely.
  • Soup Man 2011/08/18 15:48:45
    Save the eagles
    Soup Man
  • PapaBC 2011/08/18 15:12:59
    Save the eagles
    PapaBC
    Ban the wind turbines and save the animal life. No brainer here.
  • voice_m... PapaBC 2011/08/18 15:22:03
    voice_matters
    can you tell me which energy sources you support?
  • Michael 2011/08/18 14:49:33
    Save the eagles
    Michael
    Why not relocate the turbines to areas where there aren't endangered birds?
  • PapaBC Michael 2011/08/18 15:16:14
    PapaBC
    The turbines need to be where the wind is at. Just so happens that birds like that area as well. Environmentalist need to decide on Mother Nature or wind power that destroys nature. I choose nature over wind turbines any day.
  • voice_m... Michael 2011/08/18 15:22:51
    voice_matters
    because they will not work the turbines needs to be placed where they can generate the most power
  • serloren 2011/08/18 14:24:53
    Save the eagles
    serloren
    +1
    Eagles dying aside...

Wind Turbines are as yet one of the stupidest wastes of money, space and effort of any "green technology"; the amount of energy generated rated against the expenditures and the ability to store and move the energy captured is outright laughable.

And the windustry keeps growing all because our administration hates coal...
  • halfmil... serloren 2011/08/18 15:12:42
    halfmiletrack
    Agree with you about wind....but coal is not the answer. Solar, tidal, nuclear...all better choices.
  • serloren halfmil... 2011/08/24 14:52:28
    serloren
    +1
    I'm open to any possibility so long as it makes sense - shows a reasonable level of safety, and is economically viable - so yeah, I think we need to be investigating and researching every option...but not diving headlong into ones that will cost us more while giving us less (like wind power now does). :-)
  • halfmil... serloren 2011/08/24 19:50:17
    halfmiletrack
    Agreed.
  • lawlerskates 2011/08/18 14:07:49
    Save the eagles
    lawlerskates
    If you want to save the world....don't save it by killing off a species of birds for tits sake. How about solar power? I don't think that would kill anything......
  • Brandon 2011/08/18 11:53:04
    Save the wind turbines
    Brandon
    +1
    4.1 billion birds killed each year: By Cats....

87,000 birds are killed each year: By Airplanes....

So ban your cats indoors and ban flying, they kill birds and that is all that matters damn you!!!!!
  • nat75 Brandon 2011/08/18 13:58:39
    nat75
    +2
    i do keep my cats indoors it is safer for the cats and i guess birds too
  • halfmil... Brandon 2011/08/18 15:13:40
    halfmiletrack
    +1
    I'd like to SEE that cat that killed the California Golden Eagle.
  • Brandon halfmil... 2011/08/18 16:20:44
    Brandon
    LOL So should we ban bears and wolverines for killing them too?
  • nat75 Brandon 2011/08/18 17:44:56
    nat75
    like someone said i doubt that the birds the cats killed are california golden eagles lol
  • Brandon nat75 2011/08/18 17:58:10
    Brandon
    But those poor animals, what are we to do. Someone needs to protect them too!!! Look not trying to be a jerk but I know that is how I am coming across so I apologize. However, animals go extinct, yes since we can see it happen it sucks, however evolution occurs, weather it be man made or nature. Hell since the beginning of time over 98% of every living thing has died off, we are the remnants. We build solar generators to stop pollution we kill birds, we don't build them we kill the forest and the birds. Now I am not against all animal activist, I think preservation is key, to some things. Like the rainforest, not because of animals but because it produces oxygen and can affect climates, allows for deserts to appear etc. etc. Now I don't want to sound unintelligent, so I ask the question, what real problems would we see if Golden eagles were to go absolutely one hundred percent extinct?
  • nat75 Brandon 2011/08/18 21:36:25
    nat75
    i dont focus on the problem, maybe there will be too many mice or whatever it is they eat since they wont be around to hunt them and they will eat our food or spread disease? i dont really know, but we are making too many animals become extince. it is one thing if it happens naturally. it is something else entirely if we are causing them to become extinct by destroying all their habitat or pollution or hunting.if we cause it and we can avoid it we should. cant we at least somehow make them so that they are safe for the eagles and maybe other birds?
  • Brandon nat75 2011/08/19 13:46:43
    Brandon
    +1
    The problem is we can't predict these things. I hear what you are saying, however if we spend millions of dollars to try and go green build wind turbines and weather patterns start to change and their migration pattern changes them straight into the new turbines what then? We can't fix everything. We can try but it is a futile attempt at some point and in some cases.
  • intolerantrwj 2011/08/18 11:47:19
    Save the wind turbines
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    ...... I hear that a number of Flying Saucers have also experienced problems with the WindTurbines and the SpaceAliens are up in arms and about to have a mass protest led by George Jetzon, his wife Jane, daughter Judy, his boy Elroy + last but not least .. Astro !

SpacelySprockets will fund the event.
  • ~IMHO~ 2011/08/18 09:29:30
    Save the eagles
    ~IMHO~
    +2
    Most scientists in this field are incompetent buffoons. Wind turbines are a joke. Try again.
  • voice_m... ~IMHO~ 2011/08/18 15:23:14
    voice_matters
    how are they a joke?
  • RobertRowe 2011/08/18 07:30:25
    Save the wind turbines
    RobertRowe
    +2
    what about the new design of wind mill that looks like an engine for a boeing 747 or airbus a380 double decker like in the video? then you could place guard fences on it like my school did on the woodshop exaust to keep the pigeons out!

2014/12/20 02:22:59