Will You Follow Bob Barker's Advice to Boycott SeaWorld?

There are two things Bob Barker is known for: hosting "The Price is Right" for 35 years and being a huge animal rights supporter who often closed each show with a plea to spay and neuter your pets.

But in a new PETA ad, Barker takes on a new enemy, SeaWorld, and he's urging people not to visit the park, which he slams as a "sad exhibit."

Wearing a blue cardigan and wagging his finger at the screen, Barker says, "If you're thinking about a trip to SeaWorld, please reconsider. Life in cramped tanks is no prize for orcas and dolphins. They want to be free with their families in the ocean."

He laments that many animals have died at the park after being forced to swim in "endless" circles in cramped, concrete tanks, in which they perform "dumb tricks."

According to PETA, at least 23 orcas have died in U.S. SeaWorld facilities since 1986 from causes other than old age. Barker joins a list of celebs slamming SeaWorld that includes Matt Damon, Hayden Panettiere, Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee and his ex, "Baywatch" beauty Pamela Anderson.

The ad comes a year after a killer whale drowned a trainer after thrashing her around in front of a paying audience. SeaWorld has said that PETA is "as careless with their facts as they are extreme in their views."

The ad will run during shows like "Jeopardy!" and "Wheel of Fortune" in an attempt to target seniors who may be thinking about taking their grandchildren to the attraction.

Will you follow Barker's advice to boycott SeaWorld?

• mae 2011/06/08 19:39:18
    mae
    +9
    It's not so much Bob Barker's finger pointing that keeps me away as it is the cost of admission for my family of seven.

• daylight 2011/06/08 22:55:31
    daylight
    +3
    Yes, I hate to see animals caged in ZOO's and birds in cages. Its cruel and unusual punishment they bare , and its about money and entertainment that brings suffering to these animals.
  • melly~thwarting Satan since... 2011/06/08 22:44:14
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +3
    I didn't need his advice. Any fool should know that circuses and SeaWorld are sick.
  • Shadow melly~t... 2011/06/08 23:01:30
    Shadow
    +1
    So true
  • Eric B. 2011/06/08 22:43:40
    Eric B.
    +2
    No innocent living creature deserves to be locked up solely for the entertainment of humans. Find your own damn entertainment!
  • Tennyson James 2011/06/08 22:41:56
    Tennyson James
    +1
    I've never had any desire to go to sea world.
  • tewaz1 2011/06/08 22:32:54
    tewaz1
    +1
    While I have little respect for PETA and their attention whoring tactics, I agree with Barker on this thing. It is very possible that Dolphins are as intelligent as humans, and certainly feel just as much. Forcing them to perform circus tricks to entertain little Timmy is just repulsive.
  • piotomas 2011/06/08 22:27:10
  • RobertRowe 2011/06/08 22:18:15
    RobertRowe
    +5
    this senile hack cares more about rats than he does fellow human beings
    senile hack cares rats fellow human beings peta kills senile hack cares rats fellow human beings peta kills senile hack cares rats fellow human beings rats vs sick kids
  • Diana 2011/06/08 22:08:34
    Diana
    +1
    I have never been to Sea world.Even if I had a chance ,I would never go.I agree with Bob,they should be free,the way they were meant to be.I don't like man making money off of animals,especially when they suffer in cramped spaces.I'm sure those poor animals get so frustrated,that they go mad.I support him 100%.
  • Kat 2011/06/08 22:07:42
    Kat
    +2
    I've been there twice, and I will continue to go.
  • Junior the Outer Space Musi... 2011/06/08 22:04:43
    Junior the Outer Space Music Man
    I don't go there anyway, and not planning to either. The closest one to here being SeaWorld San Antonio.
  • V~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/06/08 21:58:13
    V~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    As far as animal activists go, Bob Barker is fairly reasonable.

But some aquariums are known for taking in injured animals that can't make it on their own in the ocean. For them, life in a concrete tank is better than the alternative.
  • jumpboots 187th PIR 2011/06/08 21:49:25
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    +4
    My veiw is that "I don't think humans have a right to take the freeoms away from Animals...
    veiw humans freeoms animals zoos
  • M.C jumpboo... 2011/06/08 22:40:57
    M.C
    +2
    my thoughts exactly, its like jail for animals.
  • jumpboo... M.C 2011/06/09 03:47:00
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    +1
    That's right.......
  • Katfish 2011/06/08 21:07:10
    Katfish
    +3
    I'm with Bob on the spay and nueter thing. Millions being euthanized has pained me since childhood.
    Sea World? I don't know.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2011/06/08 21:06:27
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    I've never been near the place anyway, going in has never been an option
  • Cat 2011/06/08 20:57:36
    Cat
    +2
    Not just because of this but lots of the things they do are in violation of animal rights group factors. The Peta group is way beyond me. I eat meat etc. But I went with a friend as a gift and was APPALLED at things I saw. I have been in the Veterinary Medical field for most of my life and worked for animal rights in many areas. Never would approve this place ! BOYCOTT SEA WORLD You bet especially if there was any chance it meant IMPROVEMENT in the exhibits and MEANT OVER FREEDOM FOR ALL ORCAS & DOLPHINS these are not meant to be in small tanks.
  • jay 2011/06/08 20:56:12 (edited)
    jay
    +2
    It is such a shame that liberals take advantage of the elderly and fill their failing minds with garbage.

HEY PETA - LEAVE BOB BARKER ALONE.

DITTO TO AARP - STOP USING BETTY WHITE TO RECRUIT NEW MEMBERS TO YOUR PREDATORY PROPAGANDA MACHINE.
  • Cat jay 2011/06/08 21:03:34
    Cat
    +3
    I am a LIFE LONG CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WINGER HATE PETA. I have seen these conditions for myself. They are deplorable from a Veterinary Medical point of view as well as a practical point of view. Tiny concrete holding tanks for the dolphins that you pay to feed them fish in. DEPLORABLE. Whales are not meant to be caught and kept in tanks. They rest of it can be made to work fine, but these large exhibits must go!
  • morris44 Cat 2011/06/08 21:26:10
    morris44
    +1
    But they make so much money for the captors! We live in a capitalistic society don't we?
  • Eric B. jay 2011/06/08 22:51:59
    Eric B.
    +1
    You disgust me, you foul mouthed.... Really, you think we take advantage of the elderly? On what grounds?

Also, it's you extreme right-wingers that are trying to take their Medicare away from them to pay for the wealthy peoples' tax cuts. Oh, and the poor too. So just bravo on being a heartless conservative!
  • jay Eric B. 2011/06/08 23:20:43 (edited)
    jay
    +1
    LOL "foul mouthed"? Why? Because I have you liberals all figured out?

ObamaCare takes $500 billion out of Medicare, cutting doctors' reimbursements. Thanks to you lying Democrats, the average Part C bill has risen 117% since Pelosi started threatening the insurers in 2007. Several seniors I know have already lost their doctors, who are dropping out of Medicare because of Obama's cuts.

You are killing elderly Americans who worked their entire lives so that you can service your new voting block - illegal immigrants.

Democrats should stop killing our senior citizens. They are doing it because they got away with killing 40 million unborn babies.
  • The Gasser jay 2011/06/08 23:30:13
    The Gasser
    +1
    Bravo!!
  • notokand jay 2011/06/09 00:18:07
    notokand
    ... not just liberals. But I was confused by "foul mouthed" too
  • jay notokand 2011/06/09 01:16:21
    jay
    It's the same old liberal hypocrisy. Notice after calling ME "foul mouthed", the name he called me had to be edited out by SodaHead..
  • notokand jay 2011/06/09 04:51:22
    notokand
    You're being rude- "liberal hypocrisy"? How about just hypocrisy? I am tired of the right/left line....

It is funny though.
  • jay notokand 2011/06/09 19:16:36
    jay
    What's rude is liberals lying and name-calling.

Stop killing senior citizens and blaming it of Repiblicans.
  • notokand jay 2011/06/09 19:26:27
    notokand
    I think you're preaching to the wrong person...
  • jay notokand 2011/06/09 19:51:15
    jay
    I don't think so. I have my reasons.
  • gabriielle.a 2011/06/08 20:54:46
    gabriielle.a
    +2
    I AM GOING TO BOYCOTT!
    A normal dolphin in the wild, is supposed to live about 20 years
    But in captivity, they live less, like way less. :(
    I dont want my favorite animal to die.
    Please save them, both dolphins and whales. They have the right to be free, just like us.
  • kobidobidog 2011/06/08 20:52:12
    kobidobidog
    +2
    I would not follow the advice of that dog ball hacker if my life depended on it.
  • Diana kobidob... 2011/06/08 22:12:38
    Diana
    Why?
  • Hobbitt / Oldsquid 2011/06/08 20:50:46
    Hobbitt / Oldsquid
    +2
    95% of the animals at Sea World could not survive in the ocean....Orcas must have thier own pods or they are rejected....
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2011/06/08 20:50:04
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    I've never been to Sea World.. So I guess I was already boycotting it! Lolz
  • Tigger Too 2011/06/08 20:41:34 (edited)
    Tigger Too
    +1
    Well, if we look at SeaWorld through the same eyes as Bob Barker and PETA, then I guess that orca killing his female handler during a live show was justifiable homicide. Right? Hey, I'm as big an animal lover as you'll ever find. I'm a card-carrying member of and regular donor to the ASPCA. However, we must temper animal rights with pragmatism. And I'm not just talking about caging critters for us human's entertainment. Zoos and aquariums across America, and the world, do great things for many animal species.

Since I go to the Cincinnati Zoo, I'll give them as an example. The zoo has outreach programs that take animals to schools all around the Greater Cincinnati area, allowing kids to interact with them. Thane Maynard, the zoo'a director, even has a cheetah who is an ambassador on these trips. People who go to the zoo are also educated about various species of animals, reptiles, birds and even bugs. The animals there are given the best, most natural habitat possible, and they receive excellent medical care and food made specifically for each one. One of the most important elements of aquariums and zoos is that they have breeding programs that are helping to save certain species that would have become extinct by now. The Cincinnati Zoo's breeding program with Sumatran rhinos...

Since I go to the Cincinnati Zoo, I'll give them as an example. The zoo has outreach programs that take animals to schools all around the Greater Cincinnati area, allowing kids to interact with them. Thane Maynard, the zoo'a director, even has a cheetah who is an ambassador on these trips. People who go to the zoo are also educated about various species of animals, reptiles, birds and even bugs. The animals there are given the best, most natural habitat possible, and they receive excellent medical care and food made specifically for each one. One of the most important elements of aquariums and zoos is that they have breeding programs that are helping to save certain species that would have become extinct by now. The Cincinnati Zoo's breeding program with Sumatran rhinos is famous the world over. In fact, mother Emi's giving birth to three babies was a world record for the species born in captivity. [Sadly, Emi died in 2009 at age 21.] The Sumatran rhinoceros is the most endangered species on earth. and thanks to Emi and the zoo, there are three more to add to their population.

Therefore, I think that Bob Barker and PETA should temper their remarks by recognizing all the GOOD things that SeaWorld and other such places do. They may cite the number of orcas who have died in captivity, but what about the ones who die in the wild? I'm just saying that love of animals isn't always quite so simple as allowing them to live free.

captivity die wild love animals simple allowing live free
  • Birthpangs 2011/06/08 20:35:54
  • Standardtoaster 2011/06/08 20:32:06
    Standardtoaster
    +2
    I never go anyway.

I have a computer.
  • K.Kramer - BN-03 2011/06/08 20:29:30
    K.Kramer - BN-03
    +3
    What keeps my family away is the distance, cost of travel, accommodations, and tickets. We've gone in the past and loved being able to get up close and personal with animals we would never otherwise have had a chance to experience. Same concept as zoos for us, tyvm.
  • Tony 2011/06/08 20:26:27
    Tony
    +2
    I bought an annual pass and I intend to use it!!

2014/11/24 09:21:51