Will the unemployed fire Obama?

Christian 2012/09/03 10:20:21
unemployed

• clasact 2012/09/03 10:32:17
    clasact
    +6
    I know there are a lot of people who are still without a job and are sore at Obama for it but there are many who are doing much better then they were 4 years ago.I dont know if there are enough to give him more time but I hope those who have not found work yet are smart enough to know that thing are improveing and it will just take a bit more time

• Marcus Clark 2012/09/10 07:44:06
    Marcus Clark
    +1
    I certainly hope so.
  • gocar 2012/09/04 20:40:22
    gocar
    +1
    Not if they really pay attention to who has their best interest at heart. Corporations are not people guys. They care only about the bottom line and not how many jobs they are providing. Only demand for goods and service creates jobs not Presidents unless they give out government contracts to do public works.
  • Christian gocar 2012/09/05 08:40:34
    Christian
    Great answer.
  • umapathy Krishnamurthy 2012/09/04 00:10:54
    umapathy Krishnamurthy
    +1
    No not all unemployed people
  • Pat 2012/09/03 17:12:59 (edited)
    +2
    The unemployment rate went up at the end of 2008 after years of deficit spending and tax cuts for the very wealthy by the Bush Administration. When Bush left office the unemployment rate was already at 7.8%. Yes it continued to rise under Obama like a snowball rolling down a hill until November 2009 when it hit 10%. Despite the Republican blockage of every proposal from the President, the rate went down to 8.1% in May 2012 and is hovering around 8.2 to 8.3% now.

Personally, I think that Obama has done a good job at keeping the unemployment rate as low as it is at the moment despite all of the stonewalling by Congress. Just think what he could have done if the Republican House had cooperated instead of doing absolutely nothing to help the situation. This strategy was decided the day after Obama's inauguration. They had no intention of cooperating with this president and wanted him to fail. They came right out and said that. So the GOP served up the American workers to the unemployment monster for the sole purpose of making Obama's policies fail. Now you tell me who's to blame. Certainly not Obama.

And now, who does the GOP put forth to "create" jobs in the U.S.? The reigning KING OF THE OUT-SOURCERS! Mitt Romney knows how to make money for himself and his investors. He...

And now, who does the GOP put forth to "create" jobs in the U.S.? The reigning KING OF THE OUT-SOURCERS! Mitt Romney knows how to make money for himself and his investors. He knows how to create low paying jobs in China and Indonesia not the U.S.

If anyone thinks he's going to be on the side of the American worker you are sadly mistaken. All you have to do is look at his record in Massachusetts. While he was governor, we dropped from 35th to 47th in job creation AND he added over a billion dollars to our deficit.

At least Obama is moving in the right direction slowly but surely. I'm sure it would be faster if the GOP showed any kind of willingness to help instead of hinder.
  • Christian Pat 2012/09/04 01:48:17
  • Pat Christian 2012/09/04 12:37:52
    I understand how you feel. We lost my cousin, who was also my godchild, to the war in Iraq. He was a U.S. Marine Pilot. As far as I'm concerned he was a brave, young American who wanted to be a Marine since he was a small child. He lost his life for nothing. His young wife lost her husband and his two boys lost their Dad. If I could say we did any good over there maybe I could at least find a reason for all the death and destruction. But, that country is still in a mess and now they're all fighting among each other.

At least Obama has gotten us out of that war.

Afghanistan is even worse. I don't believe anyone can help that country. They are savages right out of the Bronze Age. They have no respect for and place no value on life. They are barbaric in their treatment of women and if we could get out of there today we should do it. Obama has brought 33,000 troops home from Afghanistan and more are leaving every month. So, in my estimation, he's getting us out slowly but surely. Wish it was faster but at least it's going in the right direction.

Romney is already rattling a sabre at Iran and possibly Syria. Really? Is that what we want right now? I don't think so. We need to help our own people. And what does he want to do? Instead of asking the very wealthy to pay ...

&

Romney is already rattling a sabre at Iran and possibly Syria. Really? Is that what we want right now? I don't think so. We need to help our own people. And what does he want to do? Instead of asking the very wealthy to pay as little as 3 or 4% more in taxes, he wants to give them more of a tax break and increase taxes on the middle class. The middle class can't take that. We're hurting too much now. And we have found through experience that he trickle down theory does not work. The wealthy will hoard whatever tax break they get, put it in overseas accounts and not pump it back into business, hiring or helping the American economy. They've had over 10 years to use their tax breaks to help this country and they haven't. Enough is enough.

We need to trim some of our budgets and I would begin with the military. We can no longer afford to be the policeman of the world. Our "allies" should be protecting themselves at this point, we just can't do it any more.

What we cannot do is cut programs like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and other programs that keep millions of people out of poverty. Romney would cut or substantially change all of those programs to the point where they would be ineffective.

Romney wants to cut education, police, fire, and lots of other services that we as a country rely on. These aren't frivolous or "extras" that we don't need. These are essential services as are the Environmental Protection Agency, Federal Drug Administration and many other agencies that Romney would cut. Is there waste? Sure. But you don't throw the baby out with the bath water! You trim with a scalpel NOT a bulldozer!

America is a large country with a large and growing population. We can't run things out of a mom & pop government. For good or for bad, we need a large governmental structure to ensure that things are run properly. If Romney is elected, we will not recognize our country after 4 years and I would predict that his policies will increase unemployment, throw millions into poverty and possibly even involve us in another war. The austerity program he wants to put into effect is the same thing they did in the European Union and it has only made things far worse for the Europeans.

So, when all is said and done, I think Obama is on the right track. If Obama had not been opposed tooth and nail for the last couple of years by the Republicans, he would have been able to do much more. I'm hoping he gets re-elected and I'm hoping that the Democrats take over some more seats in the House and Senate.

I know you have to do whatever your conscience is telling you to do but I hope that you can understand my reasons for voting for Obama again. I think it's the only way to go at this point in time. You know what they say. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Christian Pat 2012/09/04 17:53:55
    Christian
    Yes your right, these programs should not be cut and if you look at the messengers of the 1% like Palin, which have nothing to say to the poor except "the reason why you are poor is because you are lazy" this makes the Republican Party a huge turn off. They seem to turn their back on the poor and work with only the middle class and the rich, that being said. President Obama may be a great steward of core social programs that are a great help to the poor and middle class. What I do not like about Obama is his blind trust of the Russians and his funding for their space program over NASA. We should not be using the Russians to get to space. I am for pulling out of both Afghanistan and Iraq but not downsizing the military at all. Our military has to be big and strong, the way you feel about government is the way I look at the military, no cuts. The cuts should be to immigrant programs and foreign aid, not government agencies. The social agencies you mentioned should never be cut, only modernized to work better for less money, so they are less of a tax drain. Another huge tax drain that the Democrats do not address very well is illegal immigration; they just legalized ten million illegal immigrants whose parents came here illegally jumping in front of millions of people that want t...
    Yes your right, these programs should not be cut and if you look at the messengers of the 1% like Palin, which have nothing to say to the poor except "the reason why you are poor is because you are lazy" this makes the Republican Party a huge turn off. They seem to turn their back on the poor and work with only the middle class and the rich, that being said. President Obama may be a great steward of core social programs that are a great help to the poor and middle class. What I do not like about Obama is his blind trust of the Russians and his funding for their space program over NASA. We should not be using the Russians to get to space. I am for pulling out of both Afghanistan and Iraq but not downsizing the military at all. Our military has to be big and strong, the way you feel about government is the way I look at the military, no cuts. The cuts should be to immigrant programs and foreign aid, not government agencies. The social agencies you mentioned should never be cut, only modernized to work better for less money, so they are less of a tax drain. Another huge tax drain that the Democrats do not address very well is illegal immigration; they just legalized ten million illegal immigrants whose parents came here illegally jumping in front of millions of people that want to come here legally. This is a 100 billion dollar a year drain on taxes each year. You talk about Austerity in Europe, which is interesting, I guess this is a caparison to what Romney will do, higher taxes for the middle class. Europe had to do this because Germany, who is bailing these countries out, set these conditions on these government borrowers. They kept the National Pensions the same only increased the retirement age to 60, which is not and unreasonable change because the retirement age was 54. You made very interesting points, I cannot argue with any of them really. I cannot debate the job of President Obama, because I have never been the president of anything except my class in the first grade. I can only say this, whoever is president in this next round, may not want to be, because this president will decide the fate of their party. If the Republicans get in and there is this amount of unemployment in 4 years, they are screwed for a long time, if the Democrats get a second chance, unemployment will have to be there prime focus. If in debate Obama says nothing of his plan for the unemployed or has no plan for employment for at least 5 million people, then I will be critical of him. Romney on the other hand has taken companies that were almost dead and brought them back. Our economy is dead right now and needs to be brought back to life. Thank you for all your amazing commentary, they are all greatly appreciated.
  • gocar Pat 2012/09/04 20:43:47
    gocar
    Thank you -- well said. What could have been the next Great Depression has been kept at a manageable level. Not nice but not a catastrophe either. Remember we were loosing 700 thousand jobs a month in 2008. We had to get those back just to break even and then adding more jobs took time. I don't think people understand how lucky they were to have such a steady hand on the tiller during what was an economic meltdown. Sometimes history comes up with the right person at the right time.
  • Matt 2012/09/03 17:01:44
    Matt
    +1
    His whole "base" should abandon him. He hasn't done anything for any of them. He signed three more job killing "free trade" agreements and declared gay rights to be a states issue, He also privatized Medicare and Medicaid and every single provider will be a multinational, if not an outright foreign company.
  • Christian Matt 2012/09/04 02:01:53
    Christian
    What do you mean privatized Medicare and Medicaid? Anyway I agree gay rights should be a state issue and should be legal. I think Marriage is between a man and a women, but America has to practice what it preaches and follow the guidelines of a free society and not let the church influence Judicial policy, gays can marry, priests/clergy should not be legally obligated to perform the ceremonies because then you will have the church always in litigation with these people. I will research your healthcare issue. I think of Romney gets elected your going to be disappointed because he is not going to drop The Affordable Healthcare act, he will makes changes but it will be law for a long time. Do you really think that something the Democrats have been fighting for years will just be abolished by a president? It will take more then that I am sure. The Democrats have many tricks up their sleeves and many lawyers chained to radiators in there basements waiting to fight on behalf of the huge issue of Healthcare. Some very powerful billionaires that are well invested in Healthcare want this deal.
  • Matt Christian 2012/09/04 02:17:29
    Matt
    +1
    What I mean is follow the money. Of the several trillion dollars that our national debt has increased, how much of that has gone to liberal causes ?
  • Christian Matt 2012/09/04 02:38:55
    Christian
    A bunch, but the money comes full circle.
  • sickofpolitics 2012/09/03 16:05:40
    sickofpolitics
    +1
    I sure the hell hope so. Let him know how it feels to be unemployed!!!
  • flrdsgns 2012/09/03 14:11:13
    flrdsgns
    +1
    They will if they can. The people without a job are looking to blame someone else for their failure or lack of skills at finding another job.
  • Theresa flrdsgns 2012/09/03 14:17:45
    Theresa
    +1
    You do realize in 2006 we had full employment at 208 Non gov't paychecks? Today there is only 67 Million Non Gov't Paychecks? and 88 Million jobs were Destroyed? So tell me where is that job these people can find?
  • Christian flrdsgns 2012/09/03 14:30:47
    Christian
    +2
    That's a freaking stupid thing to say, how do you know how hard the unemployed are trying? I got news for you, the unemployed do not want to be unemployed, they are unemployed because there are no jobs moron! I know a girl that's unemployed for 3 years and she has a degree and 25 years of marketing experience. These creeps that interview people these days are little children that hire other little children with half the experience. Age discrimination is huge now, and the Department of Labor is a freaking joke.There is more injustice in corporate American at this time then in any 100 Mexican villages. Corporate American used 2008 as an excuse to get rid of people over 40 and hire little children to work for half the money. All you people do is make excuses for Obama, you have a new excuse for him every year, but its the same excuse with different words. When Obama got elected. Excuse 1. It was the previous administrations fault. Only problem is when the Republicans wanted to regulate the home loan industry, the congressional socialist yelled racism. Excuse 2. Its the previous administrations fault. Excuse 3. Its the previous administrations fault. Excuse 4. Its the previous administrations fault and all this = 16 trillion in debt, 15 million unemployed, 30 million more people on welfare and 20 more million people without healthcare and we are still in Afghanistan and Iraq.
  • flrdsgns Christian 2012/09/03 14:45:19
    flrdsgns
    +1
    If your friend had a history of being a big producer and earning money for her company, she would have been scooped up by another marketing firm. Sorry, not buying your argument that there are no jobs out there, or that only kids can get them.
  • bob h. Christian 2012/09/03 15:39:18
    bob h.
    +1
    Of course, years ago, experience was desirable, but those people expected to be paid well. Now, they just ship those jobs to privatized prisons or overseas.
  • Christian bob h. 2012/09/03 15:40:36
    Christian
    +3
    Or they hire children for half the pay.
  • Pat Christian 2012/09/03 16:33:02
    +1
    That's very true. I lost my job at age 58. I had been working for almost 40 years and was making over $ 50,000/yr. I found myself applying for jobs and then learning that the pay was anywhere from 12/hr to maybe 14/hr if I was lucky. I'm sure a lot of it was my age. Employers do not want an older person as the face of their company. They want the young, attractive, energetic kids just getting out of school with a brand new degree in their hand. Experience is no longer a valued commodity.
  • Christian Pat 2012/09/03 16:34:53
    Christian
    +1
    Very true.
  • Theresa 2012/09/03 12:45:06
    Theresa
    +1
    If they have a chance! I still think we will invade Iran in October.
  • Christian Theresa 2012/09/03 14:06:11
  • Christian Theresa 2012/09/03 14:48:57 (edited)
    Christian
    +1
    If they invade Iran Theresa, do me a favor and volunteer flrdgns so he can die gloriously on the field of battle while some unemployed lazy guy takes his job.
  • heirsoftheking 2012/09/03 12:00:37
    heirsoftheking
    +2
    I'm "under-employed." I haven't had full-time employment in 4 years. I don't want the same for the next 4 years. Therefore, I'm voting against Obama by casting my vote for Romney.
  • kudabux heirsof... 2012/09/03 14:04:27
    kudabux
    +2
    Our jobs had been outsourced by greedy corporations looking for tax breaks under previous administrations. Obama has nothing to do with that. And you are going to vote for one of those who are responsible, Romney? That is your choice; good luck to you.
  • Theresa kudabux 2012/09/03 14:20:21 (edited)
    Theresa
    +1
    Wrong! The outsourcing has come since the Democrats waged their war on Small Business in America! However, Their Cronies in Big Business has flourish by raiding the Treasury all on this Chief Executive's watch!

It is called Fascism!
  • kudabux Theresa 2012/09/03 14:48:39
  • Theresa kudabux 2012/09/03 15:59:35 (edited)
    Theresa
    +2
    No you are so deluded in thinking Republicans represent Big Business It is the Democrats who do that. Republicans by and large are small business owners being tired of the War against them! Think how many auto dealerships were closed by this person you venerate? 10,000 Think how many employees were in each? 450 usually for each dealership! so how many people were thrown out of work because of this one man? 4,500,000 Now look at the Coal industry they are at an all time low only 15,000 jobs left when at one time employed over a Million! so now in these two industries he destroyed 5 Million jobs but that is just a small sample because we have not gotten to the secondary level of destruction yet. For every one of those jobs there were 10 support jobs which vanished too. causing another ripple effect. so that is up to 15 Million jobs but we are not through yet! Once those jobs were gone the Housing and renting companies were hurt too. Are you beginning to see the big Picture? I not sure you are but if we continue the finally total of this destruction of jobs is 88Million and get this they never will return! This is the policies of Democrat Destruction!
  • bob h. Theresa 2012/09/03 15:57:40
    bob h.
    +2
    Get a dictionary. You're clueless.
  • Theresa bob h. 2012/09/03 16:06:52
    Theresa
    Facts bother you? or is it you practice Alinsky tactics so you do not have to think?
  • kudabux bob h. 2012/09/03 16:26:54
    kudabux
    She believes in fairy tales, too
  • Christian kudabux 2012/09/03 14:32:26
    Christian
    +2
    That may be true but tell Obama and his staff to stop blaming the unemployed for being unemployed, THERE ARE NO JOBS!!!!!!! Hello is anybody home?
  • kudabux Christian 2012/09/03 14:51:53
    kudabux
    +3
    Obama blames the unemployed? The Republicans are those who tell them to get off their lazy asses and find work. They claim to be the job creators, yet the Senate has routinely blocked and obstructed bills Obama has presented to ruin his presidency and you, deluded one, have fallen for their insurrectionist program. Your opinion is so convoluted.
  • Christian kudabux 2012/09/03 14:54:36
    Christian
    +1
    And your opinion is polluted, diluted and should be excluded!
  • kudabux Christian 2012/09/03 14:55:21
    kudabux
    +2
    Oh LOL you are a poet. Clever.
  • Christian kudabux 2012/09/03 14:57:39
    Christian
    Thank you, I am a poet :)
  • bob h. kudabux 2012/09/03 15:56:53
    bob h.
    +2
    The real crime is that moving a factory to China is deductible. The real crime is vultures like Bain finding troubled companies, getting govt. loans, keeping the money and guaranteeing failure.
  • ed 2012/09/03 12:00:09
    ed
    +2
    They will and so will most of the ones that are still lucky enough to have a job.

2014/09/30 05:54:34