Will Smith on The Trayvon Martin Case in Florida USA

Sean 2012/03/25 03:08:30
Trayvon Martin  Will Smith

• Y Webb 2012/03/26 00:15:40
    Y Webb
    +11
    If it was your son, no matter your race, what would you do if Nothing was investigated. What would you do or how would you feel if your son laid in a morgue for 3 days, his/her cell phone wasn't used to possibly contact family but your son's body was tested for drugs and alcohol. However the person ACCUSED of killing your son/daughter wasn't tested for anything, was told not to follow your son/daughter but did anyway. Its as simple as this, if the issue was self defense, Why was Trayvon screaming for help and not Zimmerman. Come on all of us college graduates, Masters, and doctorate recipients, think about it. When you are pursuing someone or in the past CAUSED an altercation with someone, did you scream for help, I think not. If Trayvon was the aggressor, why would he scream for help. Racism still exists in the deep south and possibly everywhere. If you have never lived in the SOUTH or experienced or have been a witness to complete and utter racism, you have no idea what this family and all those protesting around the world are feeling. Im not screaming racism, I am simply screaming justice. THE JUSTICE SYSTEM NEEDS TO DO THERE FREAKING JOB not give someone a pat on the back for claiming self defense. Let us not forget that Zimmerman claimed he looked like he was u...
    If it was your son, no matter your race, what would you do if Nothing was investigated. What would you do or how would you feel if your son laid in a morgue for 3 days, his/her cell phone wasn't used to possibly contact family but your son's body was tested for drugs and alcohol. However the person ACCUSED of killing your son/daughter wasn't tested for anything, was told not to follow your son/daughter but did anyway. Its as simple as this, if the issue was self defense, Why was Trayvon screaming for help and not Zimmerman. Come on all of us college graduates, Masters, and doctorate recipients, think about it. When you are pursuing someone or in the past CAUSED an altercation with someone, did you scream for help, I think not. If Trayvon was the aggressor, why would he scream for help. Racism still exists in the deep south and possibly everywhere. If you have never lived in the SOUTH or experienced or have been a witness to complete and utter racism, you have no idea what this family and all those protesting around the world are feeling. Im not screaming racism, I am simply screaming justice. THE JUSTICE SYSTEM NEEDS TO DO THERE FREAKING JOB not give someone a pat on the back for claiming self defense. Let us not forget that Zimmerman claimed he looked like he was up to no good yet he was on his way to his relatives/family home in the same neighborhood in which Zimmerman was the neighborhood watch rep. It is simple Ignorance. Zimmerman could have asked Trayvon if he lived around there and been done with the situation. Instead he wanted to continue to follow Trayvon until something fatal happened. We need to come together to fix the stereotyping and ignorance that is within all of our hearts. To all of you giving Zimmerman the benefit of the doubt, did you give Mike Vick the same benefit of doubt for fighting freaking dogs. I guess a dog's life is more valuable than a teen human's life with aspirations of going to college and making something of himself. But Its okay, if the justice department doesn't move in the right direction, TRUST ME, someone down there in Sanford who is truly up to no good will definitely take matters into their own hands. Is this right? NO but its the truth. yall same ppl prolly hung Casey Anthony before she was tried for killing her daughter and she got off scott free but it pains you to simply give it some thought that self defense was definitely not the case in this situation. God Bless You all but I pray HE changes you alls hearts to understand the pain this family is feeling.

• Tarheel 2012/04/29 02:29:39
    Tarheel
    +1
    I hadn't hear about the flour incident. Will Smith makes a great statement. I feel sick when thinking about Trayvon Martin. That poor kid, I hope the family gets justice. That still won't bring much solace to the family.
  • Brosia 2012/04/24 02:12:18
    Brosia
    +1
    This does piss me off. He is so right about it. Why was the girl arrested for throwing flour, which is essentially harmless?
  • toni.lippert3 2012/04/15 20:42:31
    toni.lippert3
    +1
    oh how I hate the race card so many think they gotta play. i dealt w/this for over 10 yrs at a huge corporation & i only see it getting worse in this country. it amazes me how they play it even when its 2 minorities involved.
  • olylift 2012/04/11 08:41:17
    olylift
    +1
    Seems a bit opinionated, seeing how we don't have all the facts yet.
  • Michael olylift 2012/04/14 02:25:08
    Michael
    Your comment seems a bit snyde, considering child is dead.
  • olylift Michael 2012/04/14 02:40:10
    olylift
    I wouldn't say so. Justice is blind, and in the end Zimmerman got charged.
  • Michael olylift 2012/04/14 16:13:42
    Michael
    +1
    I think you are probably a good person, but it is an old saying that only the blind believe that justice is blind. ;-)
  • olylift Michael 2012/04/14 16:17:00
    olylift
    Cute smiley face. For all you know I could be convicted for rape. He got his sentence, what more do you want? And if justice isn't blind, why are you still in thie country? Would you want to live in a country more just?
  • Michael olylift 2012/04/14 20:59:10
    Michael
    First of all, he has received no sentence, he has merely been charged.
    And I am disappointed in you. "if you don't like it just leave?" a very weak argument. I love this country enough to stay and fight to see that all people regardless of color can be secure from having their kids murdered by fake badge wanna be cops. Don't you love it that much?
  • olylift Michael 2012/04/15 02:35:53
    olylift
    I highly doubt he's going to get off on that charge. And you're doing a great job! I see you on TV all the time, making a difference. One person can't make a difference. Yes, I love my country, but at least I'm sensible about what I can and can't do about it.
  • Michael olylift 2012/04/15 07:55:58
    Michael
    So TV makes the difference huh? I work in my spare time with inner city impoverished children, what do you do? And yes, one person can make a difference, in the life of one child, in one community, on one street. Anyone who says they cannot do not have the courage to make the attempt.

It is long , not glamourous, and filled with heartbreak, but it is what we do. At least we have the courage to try, can you say the same?
  • olylift Michael 2012/04/15 08:17:48
    olylift
    I'm 100% positive you make a difference in the life of a child, their community, their street. I'm happy that you're happy doing it, and those who you affect are grateful. But how many kids, communities, and streets can you take on? Not enough to make a significant difference. That's my point.
  • Michael olylift 2012/04/15 09:25:52
    Michael
    The mentors I'm a childs life
    make ALL the difference. Perhapa I cannot make a difference in the life of many or most, but perhaps I can at least try. That is the definition of moral courage, to try when it seems impossible. If you do not have enough courage to make the attempt at making a better nation, then you have little to say in regards to building a better future for this nation.
  • olylift Michael 2012/04/15 11:41:48
    olylift
    And good on you for doing it. I agree with everything you just said.
  • twoperrin 2012/03/29 21:03:47
    twoperrin
    +1
    Still discussing this huh? Well watch this Video and tell me George Zimmerman isn't a liar. This was video right after the incident happened of him arriving at the police department.

Looks pretty good for a man that was attacked and has a broken nose doesn't he?

http://youtu.be/9bapEH5YtBc
  • JonDeniro 2012/03/29 16:38:34
    JonDeniro
    +1
    An excellent commentary by Will Smith.
  • 2012/03/29 15:11:20
    +2
    Did someone say the NRA is nuts! Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Never give up your 2nd Amendment right to bear arms and the NRA, whether we agree with them all the time or not, fights to keep our 2nd Amendment Right! And the more comments I read on here, the more I understand why the U.S. is going down the toilet! Most people in this country are really not too bright! First of all, we have a criminal justice system that includes the 5th and 6th Amendments which gives everyone the right to DUE PROCESS and the RIGHT TO A FAIR TRIAL!!! Zimmerman is saying it was self-defense, which he has the right to do; NONE of us were there so we don't know whether or not this is true. Let's let our justice system take its course not vigilanti justice! Remember, once we allow for one person's Right to Due Process to be taken away, we leave the door open for it to happen to anyone of us!
  • Markie 2012/03/28 22:50:59
    Markie
    +2
    Brilliant, sad but Brilliant
  • CaliGurl 2012/03/28 19:19:52
    CaliGurl
    +2
    The conservatives are taking us backwards and turning us into an uncivilized country. Now it's ok to hunt human beings on the streets? What happened to land of the free and a day in court? What happened to innocent until proven guilty? The NRA is nuts. The man who killed Trayvon needs to go away for a long, long, long time.
  • JonDeniro CaliGurl 2012/03/29 16:45:35
    JonDeniro
    Your post was on the verge of greatness...until you chose to blame the NRA for the crime committed by an individual.
  • CaliGurl JonDeniro 2012/03/30 05:56:39 (edited)
    CaliGurl
    +2
    No, this is just a fact. I have done my research. The reason that this man is NOT behind bars is because the NRA rushed a law through and it was mistakenly approved in a hurry as well. The NRA law states that it is legal to shoot on spot a suspicious person that you feel threatened by in your own neighborhood, if you are part of a neighborhood watch.

Don't you see the problems here? Anybody can volunteer to be a part of a neighborhood watch. In order for police to do their jobs and carry a gun, they must first go through a serious of psychological tests.. their families must even go through background checks... LIE DETECTOR tests are mandatory for ever person entering the police force. NONE of this is required for someone that volunteers for a neighborhood watch. This is a dangerous law, because crazy people can suddenly start volunteering for neighborhood watches and walk away from murder....
  • Falcon JonDeniro 2012/04/06 18:19:27
    Falcon
    It was the NRA lobby that has induced states to allow these nutcases to carry concealed weapons. They are "accomplices before the fact".
  • 2012/03/28 19:07:23
  • wtxwoman 2012/03/30 03:11:07
    wtxwoman
    +2
    Gang violence is a far cry from a self appointed neighborhood watch person walking up to an individual and shooting them dead, then lying about it, and going free. I'll bet they at least looked for the killers in Chicago. They did nothing in FL.
  • 2012/03/28 19:03:10
  • TimothyBrianFoley 2012/03/27 18:27:20
    TimothyBrianFoley
    +2
    agree I mean Will Is right letting george zimmerman and other lunatics In ourt society go is not right what are they really teaching them to do besides understaffing and overworking law enforcement try to hire volunteers nope the police Is too ignorant and too stupid to listen that's wht george zimmerman ain't in jail.
  • lkozik 2012/03/27 05:06:25
    lkozik
    +4
    Where is justice in this case, this man should be in jail now!
  • KB 2012/03/26 23:21:05
    KB
    +4
    But for the sake of the a civilized room; Zimmerman's gun killed a minor. That's a fact. After that it's hard to listen to people say know the facts, let's wait. Due process. The guy that owned the gun shot a child. Are there more "whys",... probably. But if it's your gun- you have to be held accountable. You can't chase people down and shoot them. You can't approach people on the street because you're a watchman and shoot them.
    It seems callous and insensitive to think of a thousand reasons that justify killing a child. Children play video games, and tie neck-ties wrong. They strip the gears in the straight shift you were going to teach them how to drive. They study for the S.A.T. And come home and tell you about how they just got dumped. Everybody here has been 17 before.

Jesus, listen to ourselves. This could be about race but more than anything a child was stalked and murdered by somebody the police told DO NOT FOLLOW. Who the hell talks to the police dispatch before they go kill somebody,..?!?!
    So yeah. It is a sad commentary when somebody can throw flour on a person and go to jail. Somebody else can fire a bullet off in a teen-agers chest and NOT go to jail.

Even worst. There are people who aren't mad about this. I don't care if this kid was blue with a hint of red-ir...

Even worst. There are people who aren't mad about this. I don't care if this kid was blue with a hint of red-irish hair. This was somebody's child. We should be mad. Not as black people. Not as white people. Not even as Americans. Just beings part of the human race— be mad that somebody just killed a child and they're strolling around cool as a clam.

17 years old. there's a 17 year old in California that's developing a cure for cancer right now. Killing children robs the WORLD of potential.

Be mad folks. But be mad for the right reasons.
  • KB KB 2012/03/27 09:31:29
    KB
    +1
    But I guess if my dad was a retired magistrate judge I'd be walking around free too.
  • JonDeniro KB 2012/03/29 16:47:22
    JonDeniro
    Outstanding!
  • wtxwoman KB 2012/03/30 03:08:43
    wtxwoman
    Excellent post. I totally agree.
  • Tony 2012/03/26 14:37:11
    Tony
    +1
    The difference? The girl who threw flour did in FULL VIEW of a few hundred people and authorities.
    Zimmerman was by himself. In that case no arrest can be made until after an investigation. That's why they call it "due process."
  • baby_bi... Tony 2012/03/26 19:33:05
    baby_biker1
    +4
    Do you really believe this? Flour dousing does not compare to killing a defenseless human
  • Tony baby_bi... 2012/03/26 20:29:07 (edited)
    Tony
    +1
    No it doesn't but it is still the truth.
    Today I heard the Kim K is actually considering filing assault charges against the person who tossed flour at her. How stupid is that?
  • Sean Tony 2012/03/26 20:37:55
    Sean
    That's disgusting! That's an example of why I am against statism.
  • Morrison Tony 2012/03/26 23:17:09
    Morrison
    +3
    "no arrest can be made until after an investigation" - sorry Tony, this is complete crap and you clearly don't understand police procedure - especially with minors involved.
  • KB Morrison 2012/03/27 09:31:53
    KB
    +3
  • Sean KB 2012/03/27 13:55:56
    Sean
    Retired Magistrate Judge?
  • Morrison KB 2012/03/27 14:20:36
    Morrison
    Could you elaborate for us KB?
  • Tony Morrison 2012/03/27 15:18:33
    Tony
    You don't live in Florida. I do and I have family in law enforcement in this state, so I think I'm know a helluva lot more about procedure here then you do.

2014/09/01 11:31:40