Will Liberalism destroy the USA?

Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201 2009/02/18 19:14:44
Tax the rich and give it to the poor? It's the new "New Deal.

• olylift 2010/01/29 05:03:07
    olylift
    +3
    Barama can't say that he'll reduce the 12 trillion dollars of debt we have, and then do some deficit spending. He's a dumbass.
  • Innocuous 2009/08/01 07:50:18
    Innocuous
    +1
    Like when FDR was burning cotton and killing pigs to drive up the prices and then had to turn around and buy food and clothing for the poor because the prices were too high. http://www.usa.gov/Contact/El...
  • Sam 2009/06/06 19:36:10
    Sam
    +1
    Yes because liberalism has now taken the next step to Socialism and is on a fast track to Facism.
    I hear a lot of you talk about the election of 2012 and voting Obama out. You are missing the boat, that is too late. The election in 2010 is the CRITICAL ELECTION. Congress must be changed to stop him then. If congress isn't changed 2012 will be to late. I will also tell you if he is re-elected the will be a move by the left to do away with term limits for a President. This man and his followers want him to be President for life. We need to wake up to 2010 people.
  • Caroline 2009/04/25 22:06:26
    Caroline
    I'm a middle class American, and I felt the weight of taxes for 28 years. So now the rich which are only 2 percent of Americans are going to feel it like I did. No tears lost here!
  • Mr. B Caroline 2009/08/19 13:55:34
    Mr. B
    +2
    (part2) Granted there or those who are rich just by be being born into it or otherwise did nothing in particular to become wealthy. Maybe those people should shoulder more of the tax responsibility, and that me be the people you are speaking of but those make sacrifices, and take on financial debt (government loans) to get where they are; then I feel they should not be punished for being successful, and having the drive and intuitive to stay there. Sorry for rambling Caroline, but tell me what you think of my reasoning.
  • Mr. B Caroline 2009/08/19 13:57:04 (edited)
    Mr. B
    +2
    (part1) Hi Caroline, I am also a middle class American, but I guess I feel that people should not be punished for giving that extra effort to become richer than the rest of us; whether it be going to school for 10 years and owing the federal government over $100,000 in loans, or working 16/hr days and being financially responsible for years(# of kids, lifestyle, habits, etc).
  • IKnowwhoyouare 2009/03/27 06:30:23 (edited)
    IKnowwhoyouare
    +1
    nothing can destroy America we survived the great depression, the dust bowl and two world wars. We have made many mistakes that were thought to be great ideas at the time and made many great decisions that many thought to be bad ideas at the time. The truth is we don't know what the outcome will be. i hate the world liberalism because there are so many issues involved. the best question is "Is bigger government destroying America" my answer for that would be no America can survive anything.
  • Thom Payne 2009/03/26 14:55:51
    Thom Payne
    "Liberalism" embodies the principles on which this country was founded. Freedom for the individual to live his life the way he sees fit and collective cooperation to better the lives of all. THOSE are the pillars of the foundation of this country - so why would they, how could they, destroy it?

It is your neoconservatives with their revisionist history who are trying to destroy the country by turning it into something it is not.

They want you to celebrate your first amendment rights by shutting up and worshiping God ONLY in a Judeo-Christian fashion. They want you to live your life in a manner acceptable as such concerning marriage and procreation, whether you believe the same as they do or not.

They ignore the fact that this country never had much of a standing army until AFTER WWII, and instead want to bankrupt the country by spending more than all the other nations on earth, combined, to provide us with a feudal, mercenary army equipped with the most expensive equipment without regard to the fact that most of it doesn't do what it is supposed to when working correctly and arrives in the field, broken.

They ignore the fact that the tax base on which this country was founded was imposed on commerce and the estates of the very wealthy and instead advocate shifting the ta...

''

They ignore the fact that the tax base on which this country was founded was imposed on commerce and the estates of the very wealthy and instead advocate shifting the tax burden increasingly away from corporations and the wealthy to the commmon citizen.

It is both sad and funny that the new movement in the rightwing wackjob circles advocates some kind of new 'Boston Tea party' when they ignore the historical fact that the original one was a protest against unfair tax advantages being granted to certain corporations and not against taxes in general...especially when they advocate in favor of unfair tax advantages being granted to corporations.
  • Jerry (... Thom Payne 2009/03/26 15:53:08
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    Yet another who has no idea the meaning of Neo Conservative.
  • Thom Payne Jerry (... 2009/03/26 15:56:42
    Thom Payne
    I disagree. I understand, very well, the meaning of neoconservative.
  • raghav ... Thom Payne 2011/04/13 15:37:25
    raghav wadhwa
    +2
    Neo Conservative and Liberalism are very similar concepts. Except the fact that Neo-Conservatives wouldn't mind big budgets on defense and are very pro to foreign policy. Both ideas preach least government intervention and free market capitalism. So I don't think Neo Conservatives are the problem. You are probably referring to Classical Conservatives.
  • Thom Payne raghav ... 2011/04/13 15:39:10
    Thom Payne
    Least government intervention on corporations is the root of about 92% of our problems today.
  • get real 2009/03/03 19:19:12
    get real
    +2
    It will destroy everything our ancestors have fought and died for. Along with our Constitution.
  • Thom Payne get real 2009/03/26 14:56:51
    Thom Payne
    It can't and it won't. It was what our nation was founded on.
  • The Bantam Seditioner 2009/02/27 16:54:45
    The Bantam Seditioner
    Statism will destroy the USA, and Statism can be either left-wing or right-wing in nature.
  • socko 2009/02/24 21:13:53 (edited)
  • socko socko 2009/02/24 21:23:57
  • Free American~~Live FREE or... 2009/02/24 18:34:05
    Free American~~Live FREE or DIE~~
    +2
    Our Founding Fathers are rolling over in there graves!! I have no dought that they weep for the lose of there great nation! founding fathers rolling graves dought weep lose nation
  • BK 2009/02/23 18:23:24
    BK
    +3
    No, the U.S. will be destroyed by the same thing that takes down every "empire". Success. We're fat and lazy these days. Half of us can't be bothered to vote, and the half that can be bothered votes based on as little thinking as possible. For most of us, it's simply much more important that we know who got voted off the island or whether or not the halfwit moves on to the next round of America's Greatest Karaoke Singer.
  • jahyoda 2009/02/23 04:10:46
    jahyoda
    'conservatives only seem to remember the 'go to war' parts of the constitution. what about this part, which CLEARLY lays a foundation for a liberal approach to economy in the opening line;
    'We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, INSURE DOMESTIC TRANQUILITY, provide for the common defence, PROMOTE THE GENERAL WELFARE, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
    A clear Mandate from the Founding Fathers to create a society of Fairness and Equality to distance ourselves from feudal times and traditions where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
    To form a more perfect Union.
  • Molly 2009/02/23 03:07:41
    Molly
    +2
    America is conservative not liberal. These policies do not express the views of most Americans.
  • socko Molly 2009/02/25 01:46:57 (edited)
  • Molly socko 2009/02/26 02:51:24
    Molly
    +1
    Does not matter who one. America is still conservative, when you go broke because of the O man you will have learned the hard way. McCain is no conservative that is why he needed Palin to organize the base.
  • Thom Payne Molly 2009/03/26 14:59:16
    Thom Payne
    Molly, if the United States is so conservative, how is it that Obama won in a landslide and the 'liberals' have picked up seats in both the House and Senate in the past two elections.

The reason is that America is waking up and realizing what the policies of the past thiry years have done to the country.
  • Molly Thom Payne 2009/03/27 02:18:27
    Molly
    +3
    He didn't win by a landslide, but believe whatever you want. I oppose the Omen and his polices. The Omen won because everyone hated bush, you know bush derangement syndrome. I don't know why anyone would vote for the Omen, this is what is surprising, 6 months from now everyone will be saying I did'nt vote for him. HA. Liberalism is a mental disorder. The congress has been controlled by dems since 2006. I still believe that for the most part the USA is conservative, people like their families and their paychecks and their life, I for one do not want more government intrusion in my life. But thanks to all The Omen sheeple, I have to suffer through this for 3 years and 10 months.
  • Wolfman Molly 2010/09/10 18:07:09
    Wolfman
    +3
    Molly.. it is hard to argue with idiots
  • Thom Payne Thom Payne 2009/03/27 06:28:39
    Thom Payne
    I guess I have to piggyback off myself since Molly is such a coward.

Molly, get help. You are sick, twisted, uninformed and mentally deranged.
  • Marty9957 2009/02/22 23:21:33
    Marty9957
    +4
    Robin Hood had no hand in the writing of the constitution. The government has no right to take from one to give to another. In this United States, every one is born with the tools to make something of themselves. It's no ones fault if some don't take advantage of it.

hood hand writing constitution government united born tools fault advantage
  • Thom Payne Marty9957 2009/03/26 14:59:49
    Thom Payne
    Then why have the conservatives so advocated taking from the common man and giving to the very wealthy?
  • ed 2009/02/22 22:29:21
    ed
    +4
    The liberalisim as practiced by the current liberal party is but socialism. Socialism doesn't work. It has never worked. The greatest country in the world arose under a capitalist agenda. Socialism will bring it down, if unchecked.
  • socko ed 2009/02/25 01:48:56
  • Thom Payne ed 2009/03/26 15:05:45
    Thom Payne
    Actually 'socialism' worked very well in this country until the conservatives started (and continue to) sabotage it. Let me give you some examples of 'socialist' programs:

Public education
    The military
    Rural electrification projects
    Tennessee Valley Authority
    Bonneville Power Administration
    The Hoover Dam (along with many other government built power dams)
    The post office
    Public libraries
    Law enforcement
    Fire protection
    Sanitary sewer systems
    Public roads and highways
    National parks
    National forests
    Railroad expansion
    Land grant universities

..just to name a few and without these 'socialist programs' our nation would in much worse shape than it is now.
  • ed Thom Payne 2009/03/26 15:43:25
    ed
    Individual programs do not a socialist country make. When everyone is living off the government (and a frightening lot of people do now), when we no longer have capitalist ventures, when Uncle Sam is Nanny Nan and you are expected to obey her, when you cannot voice objections to how you are cared for or opinions about anythin vital, when you have socialist health care and that is provided at the whim of an inefficient government (so you are effectively condemned to death at a given age because you are too old to be productive), when you cannot take a vacation or drive to visit your family or friends who live 50 miles away, when you will eat what they give you and wear what they provide for you, - -- - when we are truly socialist, what then will be your opinion? But oh yeah, then you will not be allowed to voice that opinion because you will be owned by the state and answer to the cattle call.
  • Thom Payne ed 2009/03/26 16:01:27
    Thom Payne
    Where are you getting these things? No one is wanting to limit your freedom to travel or freedom of speech. As a matter of fact, liberals are for ensuring your civil liberties, not for taking them away. Those are the agendas of the conservatives in this country - restricting individual freedoms.

Question for you...under the current program, who decides what health care options are open for you and which are not? Don't you realize that those decisions, now, are being made by corporate bureaucrats - and you have no say in who they are, what their policies are, and when they can change them wihout your permission.

..and if they do, where do you go? To the government to get redress.

Oh, but you're probably for protecting the health insurance companies, too, through tort reform.

In other words, you have achieved your own worst nightmare already and don't realize it.
  • ed Thom Payne 2009/03/26 16:21:06
    ed
    +1
    Well, of course the current admin is not really socialist but more Marxist if you want to get technical about labels. And yes, of course, the agenda is to make everyone so dependent on the government that we'll have no say in our lives - gun control, youth control, health control, job control, on and on. By the way, charity and volunteerism are things we as American have been superlative at, yet that can't be left to us either. Are they still charity and volunteerism when mandated by the government?

Our current system is not all peaches. Of course not, it needs extensive reforms. But do you want Big Brother deciding everything for you? Well, some people do. I personally think the government should butt out and be there only for basic structure, not for interior decorating.

I've never been denied health care by an insurance company and if I were I could actually get the care by paying for it myself. My Canadian neighbors, on the other hand, must wait weeks or months for vital health care services such as heart surgery, sometimes dying during the wait. They are not allowed to circumvent the system. Their only recourse is to come here for the necessary care.

But we digress. My original opinion was socialism does not work. I stand by that - a republic with some socialist programs, yes. Full socialism, no.
  • Thom Payne ed 2009/03/26 17:49:20
    Thom Payne
    The current administration is in no way Marxist. If they were they would be chomping at the bit to nationalize all industry, but instead the President has repeatedly said that he doesn't want to nationalize even the institutions where the government is now the largest shareholder (AIG, Bank of America, Citibank).

Because of the Supreme Court ruling last year interpreting the 2nd Amendment (for the first time in history) as guaranteeing private gun ownership, it would require a constitutional amendment to seize your guns and not just some administrative order - and liberals have always been in favor of increased individual freedoms, not fewer.

I am glad you have never been denied coverage by a health insurer. However, the truth is that many have and have died because of it. So, you think you can pay your way out of any situation in which you find yourself? How would you come up with half a million dollars for a heart transplant? When you start searching for lawsuits against insurance companies, you come up with not thousands, but millions of hits.

You talk about the Canadians coming across the border for health care (which I think is very, very rare), but seem to ignore the fact that Americans are taking 'health vacations' and going to other countries to get necessary medica...

''

You talk about the Canadians coming across the border for health care (which I think is very, very rare), but seem to ignore the fact that Americans are taking 'health vacations' and going to other countries to get necessary medical care. Dental care in Mexico - major operations in India or Thailand. It is a shame!

I think that no 'system' works well in total. I think we need a government which is more in tune with the needs of the citizenry than those of the aristocracy of wealth - no unbridled capitalism, no Marxist utopia - but well regulated capitalism.
  • ed Thom Payne 2009/03/26 21:44:38
    ed
    Do not listen to what they says, watch what they do Of course, they won't be taking the banks and industries in one fell swoop. Just a little at a time. More and more strings, more and more control

As far as the guns - check out what they proposed to do with recycling the brass cartridges from the military -- why do you think they wanted it to go to China - think it could be that they wanted to make ammunition less available? Why do you think they want to serialize ammunition? Why register all guns? CONTROL. Next step, confiscation. It's happened in other countries.

They've taken the guns away in England, Australia, and a multitude of other places. Unarm the populace. The first step toward tyranny - well, maybe not the first, but an important one.

As far as health care - there are few citizens who can not get health care. If you can't afford insurance, there is Medicaid (not Medicare). If you can afford it and don't avail yourself of it, you can still get care; you've just got to pay for it.

Canadians coming here for health care is not so rare. I live at the border. Maybe where you live you don't see many.

If US citizens go to other countries for health care, what is the reason? It costs quite a lot for foreign travel. You don't get better care in foreign countries I do know...'

'''

'

'

'

If US citizens go to other countries for health care, what is the reason? It costs quite a lot for foreign travel. You don't get better care in foreign countries I do know of a few who go for treatments that have not yet passed FDA. I won't venture an opinion on whether that is a wise move.

I've had open heart surgery, carotid surgery (both), a heart attack, a stroke, and more. I've had superlative care in this country. No one will convince me that US health care isn't good. Expensive, yes, but good.

I do agree with you, though, in that capitalism does need to be tempered with what you may call socialist components. The infrastructure, I call it the basic structure has to be a cooperative effort - a social structure. But I still say the government should butt out and let us be for the most part. We need less government, not more. We need less people living off the government, not more. We are very close to or exceeding 50% of the people dependent on the government. If you actually work (and not for the government), you are responsible for feeding not only your family of four, but another family of four as well. That's one heckuva load to carry!

They used to say that at that point (50%), either the country will fall or there will be revolution. It seems to me that the poor US is teetering on the edge of both.

Less government! Get it off our backs.

I've enjoyed this exchange of views. You are a worthy debator, present your views fairly, and do not stoop to name calling. This is refreshing and I appreciate it.

Thanks, Justfred. It's been a pleasure.
  • Delete 2009/02/22 21:36:04
    Delete
    +2
    I say no... but I also believe things with get worse before they get better!
  • El Jefe 2009/02/22 21:25:03
  • jr 2009/02/22 17:19:18
    jr
    +4
    It already has, Obama is in the process of delivering the death blow. The 10th amendment will be the salvation, and was specifically written to deal with the situation we find ourselves in. :o)

2014/12/22 05:47:02