Will a Republican ever win an election again?

logan 2013/04/23 13:45:11
Just wondering if any of you other republicans ever think we will win again. I think there are so many democrats that we don't stand a chance, for instance, California one of the bluest states in the nation has 55 electorial votes, where Texas one of ours and our biggest only has 22. We seem doomed just wondering if any of you think so.

• rocat 2013/04/23 14:13:34
    Yes we will win next time!
    rocat
    +5
    interesting that your answer choices...
    ignore the existence ...
    of all but the two corrupt progressive partys-

i chose the best i could...
    from your incomplete choices-
    i am not a republican-
    tho for most of my life identified with them-

yes republicans will still win elections-

not that it will matter-
    as recent history has clearly shown-
    it won't make a damn bit of difference...
    in where the country is headed-

globalism...
    and authoritarianism...
    are the clear trend-
    constitution be damned-

how bout we elect some real conservatives...
    for a change-
    if anyone can find any-

• QUIS EVADET 2013/04/24 06:42:09
    I am a democrat and this is what I think
    QUIS EVADET
    +1
    Yes, for so the pendulum swings.
    political pendulum Left Right
  • QUIS EV... burning... 2013/04/24 08:05:16
    QUIS EVADET
    +1
    If the GOP would stop it wars against the American People, it might have a chance...
    But, the GOP has waged wars against:
    Women
    Latinos
    Gays
    Atheists
    Blacks
    The Poor
    Education and Teachers
    Scientists
    Unions
    Minorities in General
    Pacifists
    Public Workers (Police and Firemen)
    Environmentalists
    Home Owners
    and Seniors
    The GOP doesn't seem prepared to stop any of these wars either.

So, who remains on the side of the GOP after they have carved all those people out of the Equation?
    All that's left to vote for them are Old Rich White People who magically turn their corporations into "people" and both have no clue about the hardships of the common American.

How can they win anything when they live in such a deluded and bizarre World?
  • Alien R... QUIS EV... 2013/04/24 20:56:14
    Alien Ramone
    Some in the Republican party have started heading another direction.

Gary Johnson who was in the 2012 Republican primaries and in the general election as a Libertarian didn't have a war on any of those things that you say; Plus he wanted the troops brought home, the Patriot Act repealed, the TSA eliminated, and the assassination of citizens stopped. Johnson looks upon government in a business sense, and wants to reform programs like Social Security and Medicare, so that they can remain solvent.

Ron Paul, who was one of the top 4 in the Republican primaries in 2012 also wanted the troops brought home, the Patriot Act repealed, the TSA eliminated, and the assassination of citizens stopped. Although he is personally pro-life he didn't want the Federal government involved in the abortion issue, but wanted that left to the states, so I don't think that could be looked on as a war on women.

As far as the GOP not seeming prepared to stop the wars, both Rand Paul and Gary Johnson want the troops brought home from Afghanistan and a President has the power as commander in Chief to bring them home. I consider Rand Paul to be one of the favorites to win the Republican nomination.
  • QUIS EV... Alien R... 2013/04/25 10:35:11
    QUIS EVADET
    +2
    Gary Johnson has alienated himself by being too much of a Pot Head, and pulling embarrassing stunts.

Ron Paul? IDK... well shall see.
    The opportunist Neo-cons and tea partiers want to squash him...
    He would have to be strong enough to keep the fringe wackos from controlling him, and he'd have to slap some sense into the party - and lead. idk, if he could do it?
  • burning... QUIS EV... 2013/04/28 12:02:44 (edited)
    burningsnowman
    +1
    I don't think Ron could do it even if he wanted to. He's way too old now to even go back to Congress. And if anything his 2012 run seemed to be more of a ploy to set up Rand for 2016 than an actual serious campaign. I think he's really just counting on Rand to be sort of the next generation. But I can't say I trust Rand....
  • burning... QUIS EV... 2013/04/28 10:13:25 (edited)
    burningsnowman
    +1
    Honestly I don't think they can. It's actually kind of hilarious how short sighted they are. The GOP spent decades race baiting over issues like welfare *and* doing things like importing millions of 3rd world immigrants to give corporations cheap laborers. And they now both those things have caught up to them. And now they think nominating tokens like Rubio and/or pushing his BS immigration proposal is going to be enough to con mestizos into voting for them. They deserve to lose. With that said I don't think it really matters which of the Republicrats or Democans "wins" in 2016. Either way the special interests that really run things will continue to rob us our freedoms and our $$$ and keep the wars going too. It will only stop until they run out of things to rob OR people finally stand up and demand they stop robbing them.
  • QUIS EV... burning... 2013/04/29 15:18:14
    QUIS EVADET
    The economic hit men have honed their skill too well. They practiced on robbing the 3rd world countries and saw what caused up risings and the mistakes of death squads... they've learned to be much more subtle about these things. Now, they dumb the people down with entertainment, and whip the people into a frenzy over empty wedge issues... and all the while quietly, (very nearly secretly) passing draconian legislation in the night designed to rob the people of their money and their power...
    The people of the US will not stand up until it's too late, and then... it will be too late.
    No never again
    +1
    And why? Because the citizens of the US see through the fear mongering and blatantly Fascist actions of the New American Fascist Party aka The Republican/Tea part.
  • Alien R... sjalan 2013/04/24 07:01:38 (edited)
    Alien Ramone
    It's too bad they don't also see through the fascist actions of the Democrat party in that it uses the same fear mongering to support military actions and taking away freedoms by continuing sunsetting provisions of the Patriot Act, supporting the expansion of the TSA out into the communities, supporting indefinite detentions, and supporting assassinations of citizens. There is even a Democrat Governor who without any objections from the Democrat President, has taken the fascist actions of locking down a city and evacuating citizens in an area from their homes at gunpoint and having their homes searched without a warrant for the purpose of finding a suspect:

• sjalan Alien R... 2013/04/24 07:03:23
    +1
    I guess you don't understand that fascism is a politically right authoritarian government model.
  • Alien R... sjalan 2013/04/24 07:09:03
    Alien Ramone
    I guess you don't understand that locking down a city and evacuating citizens in an area from their homes at gunpoint and having their homes searched without a warrant for the purpose of finding a suspect is a fascist action. It's incredible how blinded people can become by indoctrination to an ideology.
  • Amber 2013/04/24 00:23:33
    Yes we will win next time!
    Amber
    I'm not a Republican, so there is no "we." I love how you don't seem to realize other political parties and nonpartisans exist. At some point in the future, I'm sure they will win again. Not that it will matter.
  • rand 2013/04/23 22:29:26
    I'm a reublican and this is what I think
    rand
    I'm a Goldwater Republican who agrees with Jindal that ours has become the "party of stupid". If the best we can field is a flip-floppin' subscriber to the fantasies of Joe Smith, then the party is doomed. IF/WHEN our focus returns to fiscal conservatism and support of specific Libertarian ideals, perhaps the weaknesses of the current Democratic party will make us once again appear as "the party of reason" that I joined.
  • Ryan Thomas 2013/04/23 21:46:49
    Ryan Thomas
    You win state county and congressional level elections all the time :P
  • RevJim 2013/04/23 20:44:11
    No never again
    RevJim
    It doesn't matter, they're all the same, anyway, whether it's an "R" or a "D" next to their name. It's actually scary watching this "Us vs Them" kabuki theater while both R's and D's vote "yes" on a tax bill that will certainly stop me from improving my business. They don't want to represent the people who elect them, they only want to spout ghost written lines about what they want us to think they believe in.
    puppet
  • RTHTGakaRoland 2013/04/23 20:25:49 (edited)
    Yes we will win next time!
    RTHTGakaRoland
    +2
    Actually,

"Yes we will win next time, too!"

would be accurate, given that in the last two elections we Republicans took Congress, added Senators, and took the overwhelming majority of Governorships and State Houses.

Democrats, I hate to disappoint you, America is neither, yet, a dictatorship nor a monarchy. Installing your cult leader in one office does not abolish all other elected offices.

obama cult
  • Alien Ramone 2013/04/23 18:56:00
    Yes we will win next time!
    Alien Ramone
    +2
    Rand Paul would probably win if he was nominated, and I consider him to be one of the favorites for nomination, but if the Republicans nominate an establishment candidate again, that candidate would probably lose.
  • rand Alien R... 2013/04/23 22:32:38
    rand
    +1
    I have a Libertarian streak from the day of Barry Goldwater, but i don't think Rand has any more chance than Ron did because the ideology must be tempered to gain appeal and neither seems interested in compromising those ideals. It was Ron's efforts at honesty that I most appreciated though.
  • Alien R... rand 2013/04/24 06:47:48
    Alien Ramone
    +1
    As far as support goes, I would consider Rand Paul to be one of the favorites to win the nomination, where as I thought Ron Paul was a long shot. It will be a tough battle for Rand though, because many in the Republican establishment will probably be trying to manipulate the Republican voters into supporting one of the Republican establishment candidates.

Rand doesn't seem to be compromising on the ideas of bringing the troops back from Afghanistan, trying to get rid of the TSA, repealing the Patriot Act, and stopping assassinations of citizens by the government. As President he could immediately bring the troops, appoint a new Secretary of the DHS who would rein in the TSA and eliminate the assassination list, veto any attempts at renewing sunsetting provisions of the Patriot Act, and veto any new legislation to take away freedoms.

One way I see where Rand has a more tempered version of Ron's ideology is that Rand made a quote about considering an attack on Israel to be an attack on the United States. From the standpoint of political support, that completely counteracts any attempts at undermining Rand on that issue the way that Ron was.

Rand has sort of embraced the religious right, and supports the idea of an amendment to outlaw abortions, which is a Constitutional approach, w...

Rand has sort of embraced the religious right, and supports the idea of an amendment to outlaw abortions, which is a Constitutional approach, which is different than Ron's Constitutional approach which was try to get an Act passed that would leave legislation related to abortion to the states. Rand's approach will give him a lot more support from the Republican base than Ron had.

Rand Paul's view is tempered in relation to drones in a way that is acceptable to some who lean more neoconservative. Rand Paul has proposed legislation to prevent drones from being used to spy on citizens, but it does have exceptions related to terrorism and patrolling the borders. I even heard Mark Levin on the radio the other day praising Rand Paul's approach, and using Rand's example of a person in a café posing no imminent threat. Levin's point was that Rand's wording allows for the use of drones when there is an imminent threat.

Over all my view is that we can elect Rand Paul who could make a lot of progress in reversing the control grid and going up against the real enemy, or we could support people who are only as devoted to Ron Paul's ideology as he was and watch the system of control completely overtake us, since a candidate like that won't get enough support until it is too late.
  • rand Alien R... 2013/04/24 15:30:47
    rand
    +1
    McCain's selection of Palin cost him my vote. Goldwater predicted that embracing fundamentalists would bring the downfall of my "party of reason" and it did. Ron's stance on religious freedom is to be lauded. Rand's pandering is to be deplored. I see your points but disagree on the notion that they will make Rand more electable.
  • burning... rand 2013/04/24 07:30:02 (edited)
    burningsnowman
    +1
    Rand is already very compromised, in a bad way. He has no problems with drones or saber rattling over Iran to name some obvious examples. But yeah, it should be obvious that libertarianism is a non-starter in this country. Especially with the US getting poorer and less white to be blunt.
  • Bonita Colley 2013/04/23 18:30:12
    Yes we will win next time!
    Bonita Colley
    +1
    #1 - Not a answer for other....... Hate when people slant questions. #2 - The Repubs are no different then the Dems. #3 - As long as people believe this ignorance nothing will change. #4 - Wake the Hell up and get a damn education on our true form of government and the smoke and mirrors of the 2 party system! Tenth Amendment
  • Nathan S 2013/04/23 16:26:35
    Nathan S
    Both side have nuts that are trying to control people and rob freedom. The left do it by ignoring the Constitution and trying to place laws that regulate behavior they do not like in the name of fairness. The right tries to do it by strictly interpreting the Constitution and placing laws that regulate behavior they do not like in the name of morality. The problem is morality and fairness are two things you can not successfully regulate. The democrats because of their actions over the last 8 years will not likely have my vote in the next cycle just like they didn't in the last. The problem is that the republicans can still screw things up with people in the middle like me. If what the republicans serve up was brewed by the extreme with the rhetoric that anyone not against gay marriage is unamerican, and anyone that thinks Buffet is not paying a fair share compared to his secretary is a socialist the democrat's kool aid will taste pretty good.
    Yes we will win next time!
    +1
    You need real world choices.
  • TMG1963 2013/04/23 15:50:04
    No never again
    TMG1963
    Once again a question is asked on SH without a neutral or Other option. I'm neither a Democrat, nor a Republican, however, to answer your question: Yes, unfortunately, a Republican will win again. And after a while the tide will turn back to Democrat and then back to Republican and so on and so forth. Rinse and repeat. It's a vicious cycle that is driving our country into the ground. George Washington warned us of this. I've come to realize that both parties are essentially the same with very little exception and they're both corrupt. Until we get the career politicians out of office and place people in authority who care about this country rather than power, prestige and personal wealth things will only get worse. Things didn't get like this over night. This has been slowly building for around 150 years. We are seeing the fruit of the labor of many generations of political corruption. As horrible a president as Obama is, this mess we're in didn't start with him. GWB increased the size and scope of government more than double what LBJ did in the 60s. And what LBJ did was terrible. The last good president this country really had was probably Coolidge in 20s. And if you go strictly by what the Constitution says a president can do, it could be argued - and has been - that Clinton was one of our best presidents. Not saying I agree with that last bit, merely stating that this is what some who've studied presidents say.
  • Lerro DeHazel 2013/04/23 15:41:52
    Lerro DeHazel
    I am NOT a Republican . . . But most Republicans are also Conservative, like me; hence, I am more likely to relate to Republicans better than I would be able to relate to any of those Liberals, over on the Left . . . There will be some probs getting ANY REPUBLICAN voted into ANY OFFICE, until the end of the Next American Revolution, that's going to be just around the corner . . . Very Soon!! . . . It's exciting . . . We are going to Win, Again!!! [Although, I don't expect that I will survive it.]
  • frank 2013/04/23 15:41:33
    frank
    Hopefully a Republican wins before the Democrats run out of other people’s money and before the US files for bankruptcy.
  • sharkhead 2013/04/23 15:29:15
    Yes we will win next time!
    sharkhead
    Not a republican.
    I'm just predicting that they will win in 2016.
  • freedomsox 2013/04/23 15:16:19
    freedomsox
    They'll be fine. People are just being melodramatic. The Democrats were in much worse shape in the 80s, and it worked out fine for them.
  • MsTlynne 2013/04/23 15:10:41
    MsTlynne
    +1
    I certainly hope not, EVER!
  • Rebel Yell 2013/04/23 15:08:52
    Rebel Yell
    +4
    If they continue thumping their Bible and being Anti-Everything, then no. That is not an appealing platform.

The Tea Party needs to wake up and see the writing on the wall. They often say they're
    " taking their country back." Problem is, their country doesn't want them.

Texas will turn blue. The major cities already have.
  • Lady Wh... Rebel Yell 2013/04/23 17:33:20
    +1
    WELL SAID
  • All American 2013/04/23 15:04:30 (edited)
    Yes we will win next time!
    All American
    +1
    2016 will be the year America triumphs over liberal lunacy.

Save America, Vote Republican
  • MsTlynne All Ame... 2013/04/23 15:11:48
  • All Ame... MsTlynne 2013/04/23 15:19:10
    All American
    You can't get free stuff forever.
  • MsTlynne All Ame... 2013/04/23 15:22:57
    MsTlynne
    +2
    I don't get anything free dear. I am a retired army veteran and I now work a fulltime job and have a small business. I pay for everything I get.
    You certainly don't mind being known as a liar, do you?
  • All Ame... MsTlynne 2013/04/23 17:08:04
    All American
    How am I a liar? You're the liberal.
  • Lady Wh... All Ame... 2013/04/23 17:34:30
    +2
    go bake a pie.
  • All Ame... Lady Wh... 2013/04/23 18:32:03
    All American
    I'd rather make chile like I'm doing now. I'll share.

2014/04/21 09:54:44