WIC vs. Food Stamps: Which one do you support the most?

Dangerous Dave 2009/01/15 19:10:01
I only support WIC, help pregnant women and children only
I only support Food Stamps, help the ones that really need it
I support both. Those of lower income need the help
I support none. I see no difference between WIC and Food Stamps
With the recent question's buzz about food stamps and junk food, I decided to bring this question up.

WIC is a program specifically designed to help supplement low income families with children or pregnant women. You receive vouchers for specific items of nutritious food, like milk, dried beans, cereal, cheese, eggs, and so forth. The program is run by the state, so the items may vary from state to state.

The food stamp program just gives families a set amount of money each month, in the form of food coupons or a pre-paid "debit-type" card, and they can buy whatever food they choose, even the latest argument, junk food. Some people claim that some stores illegally accept food stamps to purchase alcoholic beverages and cigarettes.

The income requirements are also very different. If you qualify for food stamps, you would probably also qualify for WIC. But since the income levels are higher for WIC qualification, you could qualify for WIC without being eligible for the food stamp program.

levels higher wic qualification qualify wic eligible food stamp program

• Dedee 2009/01/15 20:38:04
    Dedee
    +8
    Our elderly people and the people who really need the system should be supported. What I can't deal with is young women who live in government provided homes, apartments, ect who insist on having child after child while their boyfriends are allowed to live in the places free of charge. Most of the time nobody is working and the man and women are sitting home waiting for the first of each month. I think these people should be locked away. They are abusing the system and taking away from the ones who really need it. It is a shame when a person pay into the system for years and loose their job. Go apply for help and you are denied, but others can get into the system with no effort put forth at all. The system needs lots of work, but some people really need to go through the system for help.

• Jesse Willis 2012/01/01 02:55:47
    Jesse Willis
    I support both my big sister is 22 and has 2 kids and the daddy isnt in there lifes so she hasnt got no way of working and has to live in a apartment and has to get both wic and food stamp.
  • JodieWhite 2011/01/27 19:19:37
    JodieWhite
    WIC is a HELP for the CHILD -- milk, beans, eggs, cheese, cereal, juice. Hopefully you have other means for food, so your UNDER 5 YEARS OLD CHILD can eat more than egg, cereal, or beans.
    FOOD STAMPS is MORE than a help, First, it's for the WHOLE FAMILY, including kids over 5. (I have trouble comprehending the belief that people would have kids just for WIC, because there's 13 years AFTER they no longer qualify for WIC.)
    We start with milk, cereal, eggs, and beans, probably like most people buying groceries. We aren't allowed to buy a warm, cooked chicken, though we can buy a cool one. (Weird.) I usually buy the frozen chicken, anyway. I cook almost everything from scratch, so I have (gasp!) flour and sugar, also. To save money and sugar, I make a lot of Kool-Aid (1/2 the sugar than soda).
    What I do not understand is why people not on food stamps have a problem with people who ARE on food stamps buying cheap food (aka "junk food"). For example, if I make a cheap meal of hot dogs and baked beans, it will cost much less than making, say, a roast or baked chicken. What's wrong with having both? I have to be financially responsible, so I have to be careful. Plus, if have to cook ALL our meals from scratch, that's going to take away too many hours in the day.
    As ...

As I'm sure you already know, what we don't get on food stamps is things like soap. Fortunately, we had several bottles of soap from before my husband became ill, but we've ran out of laundry detergent, and we just don't have the money to get more. I've still got some softener left, so I dilute it and use it to keep our clothes smelling fresh. We're in trouble once we run out.
    What saddens me is that my husband does not have a winter coat. He used to only need one for work, which was provided for him, but now that he's out of work, they took his coat back.
    Also, all three of us have colds, and we cannot afford cold medicine.
    Please, before you judge people for needing assistance, realize it COULD happen to you or someone you know. My husband had a decent-paying job before he became ill, but they managed to pressure him into quitting, so he now does not get unemployment benefits, and strangely enough, disability turned him down. (He has everything from neuropathy to heart troubles to Parkinsons.)
    At family prayer, my father used to always pray, "Help us be mindful to the needs of others." Please... be mindful of the needs of others.
  • Kris JodieWhite 2011/02/24 09:28:54
    Kris
    +2
    Is soda that much more expensive than cola, what is wrong with buying an occasional class of coke, a 2 liter can cost 99 cents when its on sale. I agree that food stamps should be used for vitamin supplemental s,omega 3 oils , and the hot meals that stores put in the fridge for eligibility.

As for household expenses such as toothpaste and detergent you can make your own for much cheaper, I support using expenses for toothpaste , soap, and toilet paper, but that is not what food stamps are for.
  • wolf sloan 2009/08/12 21:43:01
    wolf sloan
    With a disclaimer...those with LEGITIMATE needs
  • Dragoness 2009/03/26 00:15:31
    Dragoness
    I will be recieveing both programs, applied for food stamps for the first time ever today, I have gotten WIC in the past but dropped the program when I felt we did not need it even though we still qualified. My husband was laid off. He has been actively looking for work and we are selling every liquid "asset" we can, but we were never high income to begin with. To the person who said low-income people are low-income due to their life choices and should stop 'stealing" from them that statement was wrong and disrespectful. My husband is a master mechanic by trade, not exactly a lucrative job but its his trade, a trade he learned while serving in the US Army. Someone has to fix your cars and clean homes and hotel rooms. Someone has to staff gas stations and bag your groceries... we can't all be in high-end jobs. We have NO intent of abusing the system, in fact after our welfare appointment today (for food stamps ONLY) we then went and put in 7 more applications before we had to rush back home to pick our daughter up from the school bus. Combined we have paid our taxes for 34 years and now we have found ourselves wondering how we will pay rent all because of a lay-off, not due to laziness. Not everyone who finds themselves on welfare is a lazy scumbag and those who do abuse the system...''''
    I will be recieveing both programs, applied for food stamps for the first time ever today, I have gotten WIC in the past but dropped the program when I felt we did not need it even though we still qualified. My husband was laid off. He has been actively looking for work and we are selling every liquid "asset" we can, but we were never high income to begin with. To the person who said low-income people are low-income due to their life choices and should stop 'stealing" from them that statement was wrong and disrespectful. My husband is a master mechanic by trade, not exactly a lucrative job but its his trade, a trade he learned while serving in the US Army. Someone has to fix your cars and clean homes and hotel rooms. Someone has to staff gas stations and bag your groceries... we can't all be in high-end jobs. We have NO intent of abusing the system, in fact after our welfare appointment today (for food stamps ONLY) we then went and put in 7 more applications before we had to rush back home to pick our daughter up from the school bus. Combined we have paid our taxes for 34 years and now we have found ourselves wondering how we will pay rent all because of a lay-off, not due to laziness. Not everyone who finds themselves on welfare is a lazy scumbag and those who do abuse the system give all of us a bad name. Just as much as a wealthy person sometimes runs out of time to cook we do too, I hardly think one 6 pack of soda and 1 frozen pizza a month using food stamps is an abuse of the system and thats what I buy with my OWN money, we haven't yet used a single dollar of food stamp money. I buy 95% healthy food and do that be it my own money or government assistance, my kids deserve the best and teaching them healthy eating habits is the best I can give them... but that doesn't mean they don't deserve a freaking cookie every so often. We are good people, we work VERY hard, please don't lump us in with the abusers.
  • support... Dragoness 2010/01/18 15:52:35
    supportchange
    +1
    You obviously don't need either if you can afford $50 a month for internet. This is a perfect example of what they meant by "the choices they make."
  • Dragoness support... 2010/01/27 20:07:09
    Dragoness
    +1
    I don't know where you live that internet costs 50.00 a month, but my internet is 14.95 a month and it is a REQUIREMENT because I homeschool my children due to a very poor educational system in the state I live in. But for what its worth less than a year ago we had to apply for assistance because we needed it. Now we are off assistance and we close on our first home in less than 45 days. I hardly think you can consider us "abusing" the system when we not only worked ourselves up and off the program, but also found a way to buy our first home. So the "choices we made" enabled us to get back on our feet while providing quality education to our children, getting ahead, and buying a house so we are no longer throwing 1000.00 a month into someone elses mortgage.
  • Zyexria 2009/03/07 17:25:02
    Zyexria
    It would be awesome if the users could be outed and the help given to those who really need it only. But then you get into all sorts of others issues like reproductive & financial repsonsiblities. THink of it this way the families that are generational users of the system should we limit the kids they can have ?
  • Comrade Volizden 2009/02/18 15:11:36
    Comrade Volizden
    Live at this level of Need just for one year because you have too you stingy bastards and THEN tell me you dont support it..

Otherwise FUCK OFF
  • bill Comrade... 2010/09/27 01:14:58
    bill
    +2
    YEAH!!!! I Agree 100%---you ***** ***** greedy self serving F****** republican tea party bas*****!!!!!
  • icymore 2009/02/13 04:39:50
    icymore
    But WIC is better because you can't use WIC to buy junk food. They also make you attend nutrition classes and assist with breastfeeding.
  • Zyexria icymore 2009/03/07 17:42:34
    Zyexria
    Yeah the food stamp program has tried to do requirements like that and have been taken to court and the requirements have gone bye bye in some cases even before the requirement gets implemented.
  • Kris Zyexria 2011/02/24 09:29:53
    Kris
    +1
    Junk food is hard to define, a bagel has more calories than a doughnut, and a class of OJ more than soda, the extra vitamin C in OJ is not needed. Education is key.
  • Sodahead's Boring. 2009/01/31 21:21:43
    Sodahead's Boring.
    The food stamps program is unfortunately just too corrupt. =(
  • Kris Sodahea... 2011/02/24 09:30:18
    Kris
    +3
    Maybe but food stamps have had much restriction over the years, its not like 20-30 years ago.
  • Samie8908 2009/01/27 19:19:21
    Samie8908
    With the problems going on with unemployment in the US, we need to help the poor but we also need to monitor those who are receiving the help to illiminate the frauds or those who are not trying to find work.
  • Red Ruffansore 2009/01/27 02:59:31
    Red Ruffansore
    I've seen too much abuse and scamming with food stamps to even tolerate that program, it's corrupt and throws money down a rathole. Also tired of seeing losers show up down at the soup kitchen to bum a free meal and then go sit down out front in a lawn chair and get drunk and bother people who walk by. kitchen bum free meal lawn chair drunk bother people walk
  • Bosco 2009/01/22 14:54:56
    Bosco
    Everyone has needed a helping a hand at some time or other and I feel these programs are necessary to aid those who have come on hard times, but with that being said it is far too often abused by people who want a free ride or are too uneducated to have the skills required for a job that pays a decent wage. Education must also be implemented in many cases with these programs so as to help one become more self sufficient in the future i.e. if you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day, if you teach him how to fish he'll eat for life.
  • Karilym 2009/01/20 06:41:47
    Karilym
    I do support food stamps as well, but not until there is a major reform/more regulations in the policy. I think people abuse their food stamps way too often and rely on it instead of trying to get a job. WIC however is a way to buy basic essentials to just help someone out.

people abuse food stamps rely job wic buy basic essentials
  • Kris Karilym 2011/02/24 09:31:10
    Kris
    +1
    The purpose of WIC is different from food stamps its geared for new family members.
  • Adam 2009/01/20 02:14:00 (edited)
    Adam
    +1
    To those people who say neither: My sister is pregnant, and currently on WIC. She is a manager at a local gas station, where she officially is full time and on salary, but actually works about 50-60 hours a week. She walks to work, she has a modest apartment, and keeps her expenses low. She had some medical bills, and even in spite of her insurance, she still has money difficulties, and has some problems making ends meet in these tough times. She is going to make a wonderful mother. Now tell me Conservatives, why shouldn't my sister, and my soon to be newborn nephew be able to eat? If you would stop bragging about your flag lapel pin, and actually care about Americans, then you could open your eyes and see that America is filled with good, hard working people who both need and deserve a leg-up. A leg up we can give them. And the Christian thing to do here is to not let that minority of scammers harden our hearts to those who need help. Weed them out as best as you can, and keep helping people like my sister put food on the table for our children. Do you seriously think that Jesus would deny food to the needy because a few undeserving people get a hold of it? No he wouldn't, and American is BETTER then that.
  • Bosco Adam 2009/01/22 15:12:18
    Bosco
    First of all congrats to your sister and her decision to have her child knowing the struggle she has to bear. She is very brave and by what you say about her she seems very determined, strong, proud and with those good qualities will make a fine mother. I am a conservative and I feel these programs are neccessary to aid the needy but although sometimes are abused. Also another great resource is the local churches they are really helpful, supportive and always there to talk to, activities and group functions, they help single mothers or families with clothing, furniture. My church has donated a few cars and had mechanics that provided free service to poor families, dinners that are often free and very good home cooked food. I would suggest that she look into it. Many churches will welcome her and her little one with open arms.
  • joe/edward 2009/01/19 21:28:22
    joe/edward
    +1
  • davidh BN-0 2009/01/19 20:22:38
    davidh BN-0
    People bitch about Food Stamps, but for every dollar that is spent in food stamps $1.78 goes back into the food market. Kinda makes you wonder why they don't have everybody on food stamps.
  • ywmuni 2009/01/19 15:15:42 (edited)
    ywmuni
    +1
    I think that many lower income families definitely need the help. My only argument would be that abuse has to stop. There are people who report lower income to get this help which takes it away from the families that actually need the help. Also, the government needs to push that people on these systems are working toward becoming dependent without government. Some people never push for better jobs or promotions or raises because they want to continue getting the support. Or what about people who don't work for years at a time with 5 kids and live rent free, get WIC, food stamps ect... It makes no sense because when my aunt lost her job over the summer due to job cuts, she had to fight like hell to get help and damn near lost her house. She ended up working 2 jobs to support herself. Now why was she able to get 2 jobs and in 2 months and some of these women can't find 1 in 10 years! However, for the families and elderly people who are truly in need, I'm proud to live in a country that does help them and doesn't leave them on the streets or homeless shelters like so many other countries.
  • SoulSearcher 2009/01/19 04:14:21 (edited)
    SoulSearcher
    In theory, both are meant to be good and helpful programs, but since they are executed very poorly, they are very abused programs and from my experience have not always had the helpful outcome or effect that was intended. If they are to keep these programs, it would serve everyone if they were executed and followed up on properly.
    Another article related to this topic
    Diluted Formula Nearly Kills Baby ECONOMY OR POOR PARENTING?
    by Margo
    PS: Check out the poll and article on here about the baby that almost died from diluted baby formula. The mother was a WIC recipient.... interesting...
  • centrust 2009/01/19 04:06:47
    centrust
    +2
    I don't why the government doesn't make the acceptable food purchases more limited like the WIC program to assure better nutrition and limited to those items that are more healthy. Like all government programs it depends upon whether the individuals applying for them are really trying to improve their lot in life or just coasting. If there is a true need, we as a civilized society need to assure they receive adequate food. However, for example, if the person receiving this is going out and running up a $250 cell phone bill instead of paying for their own food, there is a problem.
  • Zyexria centrust 2009/03/07 17:38:25
    Zyexria
    In many areas the Wic program is being cut back so much that it is becoming nearly impossible to fill the larger vouchers. I agree that it burns when people are receiving benefits that have more then me materially or are lazy. But theie are just as many receipents that are normal people actively trying to get off the benefits. the system isn't perfect but until the ppl in the government get a brain in their collective heads and revamp the programs its all we have and can't be ended. One of the main issues against this revamping are privacy issues and our freedoms. We can't make requirements that inhibit anothers choice to expand their familes for example.
    NOTHIN IS CLEAR CUT. These programs are meant to be supplemental not to supply the items for the whole month, but in many cases that is all these people have so they have to make due. Currently the economy is making this situation worse.
  • Buttmonkeyjumpnaked 2009/01/19 01:48:46
    Buttmonkeyjumpnaked
    +1
    As a person who has been on Food Stamps in the past (I have a good-paying job now)and also was in the WIC program (when my daughter was young), I can attest that those of lower income do need the help. Don't get me wrong- abuse of food stamps is a problem which needs to be addressed at some point (junk food should be banned- but the implementation of that ban will be a problem) but the point is both of these programs are a great help to those who need them.
  • Karilym Buttmon... 2009/01/20 06:45:53
    Karilym
    Exactly. I hate the abuse of it and I think it needs to be more regulated as to what you can buy. And also what would help that is a limit. (like i believe there used to be..) Such as two years to be on food stamps. It helps out but the people on it know that they should probably be saving every penny they can and be very wise with their money/finding the good jobs like you have because then they would know that they can't be on it forever..
  • Kris Karilym 2011/02/24 09:33:09 (edited)
    Kris
    +1
    Limiting what you can buy is a slippery slope for instance a bagel has more calories than a glazed whole wheat doughnut and OJ has more calories than a glass of soda, and garlic bread is even worse than many chips, ban tortilla chips to make tacos, or just the cheese, what its nachos?
  • sudee 2009/01/18 22:55:06
    sudee
    I have seen more abuse with the debit food cards then with WIC. You have to have children to get WIC and they are young or disabled children or pregnent women.
  • Kris sudee 2011/02/24 09:34:35
    Kris
    +1
    Wic was never designed for the adult that is struggling and working and is laid off.
  • concerned 2009/01/18 18:03:05
    concerned
    Food stamps are alos used by senoir citzens ....not just women with childern or pregant woman ....and all of us can become unemployed and need some help ..
  • cherokeefox 2009/01/18 01:01:23
    cherokeefox
    it's there for anybody who needs it
  • Caroline 2009/01/18 00:23:31
    Caroline
    I knew nothing about either, then my husband lost his job. After 14 month of living some of the time off unemployment and my credit cards I applied for food stamps. I had never even known anyone that had used them before so I was clueless. I felt funny using them but boy did they help. Thank God he has a job now and we won't be needing them any more. For people who need them they are good, for people who abuse the system they should pay everything back and get a job.
  • Karilym Caroline 2009/01/20 06:46:29
    Karilym
    Do you think a two year cap would be a good idea?
  • Caroline Karilym 2009/01/20 14:50:12
    Caroline
    IDK, my husband was out of work for 15 months and we know how lucky he was to find a job IN HIS FIELD at this time especially with the economy the way it is. They do some pretty thorough checking into who's making money and who's living in the house, maybe I just wouldn't dare to get caught lying about anything and wouldn't lie. I know many do lie and probably shouldn't be getting them
  • Karilym Caroline 2009/01/21 03:10:19
    Karilym
    +1
    I think maybe three then. :) And you're right, I know some families around my area that have to lie because their boyfriends (not even husband!) are living with them and not contributing at all. Good to hear things are better!
  • dennis burger 2009/01/17 23:23:51
    dennis burger
    +1
    that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2014/10/24 12:16:39