Why Your Doctor Secretly Hates Obamacare -- Katie Kieffer

"Abe" 2012/05/01 23:40:54

Your doctor won’t tell you this when you’re sitting in his office, so I will: He hates Obamacare. It’s time you know why your doctor is concerned about Obamacare.

Doctors already live in constant fear of malpractice lawsuits. The last thing they want to do is stick their necks out and publicly attack Obamacare. Doctors also do not have an effective D.C. lobby group or public advocate.

A 2011 survey by Jackson and Coker reports that most doctors believe the mega-lobbyist group, American Medical Association (AMA), fails to represent docters’ interests on Capitol Hill. Forbes reports: “Much of that dissatisfaction stems from the organization’s support for President Obama’s contentious health care reform package. … [The AMA] has backed a law that would force some physicians to work longer hours for less pay and others to operate in perpetually overcrowded emergency rooms.”

Doctors question how the AMA can represent them in D.C. while cutting back-door deals with the government. Doctors have been effectively forced to fund the AMA by purchasing Medicare and Medicaid billing code books. Dr. Jane Orient, a privately practicing doctor in Arizona, blew the whistle when she discovered that, beginning in 1998, the Health Care Financing Administration gave: “… the AMA the exclusive copyright on the codes…” reports The New American.

Since the AMA does not speak up for doctors, I will try to be a voice for doctors. Here are two primary reasons why your doctor hates Obamacare:

1.) Doctors Need OwnershipDagny Taggart is the heroine of Ayn Rand’s novel, “Atlas Shrugged.” At one point, Dagny asks a renowned medical doctor named Dr. Hendricks why he left the medical practice. He says: “I quit when medicine was placed under State control … Do you know the kind of skill it demands, and the years of passionate, merciless, excruciating devotion that go to acquiring that skill [performing brain surgery]? …I would not let them [politicians] dictate the purpose for which my years of study had been spent, or the conditions of my work, or my choice of patients, or the amount of my reward. I observed that in all the discussions that preceded the enslavement of medicine, men discussed everything—except the desires of the doctors. … Let them discover the kind of doctors that their system will now produce. Let them discover, in their operating rooms and hospital wards, that it is not safe to place their lives in the hands of a man whose life they have throttled. It is not safe, if he is the sort of man who resents it—and still less safe, if he is the sort who doesn’t.”

Obamacare removes ownership from the medical field. An individual doctor no longer owns his education, career or even day-to-day lifestyle choices. Under Obamacare, he goes from feeling a sense of caring ownership for his patients and his craft to feeling over-worked, under-paid and micro-managed.

Obamacare effectively steals from doctors by confiscating the skills, energy and time they have devoted to medicine. When you steal a man’s life-long passion; his hard-won goal; his lifestyle—do not expect him to be happy or to maintain his conscientious passion for practicing medicine.

2.) Doctors Need Motivation and Compensation

A better name for Obamacare is the “16.7 Percent Paycut,” because that is what it means for doctors. In order to “save” Medicare, Obamacare asks doctors to take a 16.7 percent paycut. And, guess what? Patients will suffer, not just doctors. Patients will suffer because smart and caring young men and women will forfeit their dreams of entering the medical profession and choose alternate careers that promise less stress and higher pay.

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to visit my brother at his medical school and meet some of the other medical students. They were intelligent and hard-working individuals who clearly cared about helping people. I did not get the sense that money was their primary motivation in becoming doctors.

Indeed, 60 percent of doctors are concerned that Obamacare will diminish their ability to care for patients, finds a Feb. 29, 2012 survey completed by The Doctors Company Market Research, America’s largest surgeon and physician medical liability insurer.

Money simply allows smart young Americans, like my brother and his peers, to justify spending an additional four-to-ten years after college holed up in a library just to graduate with $160,000 in debt (the median debt load for medical school grads according to a 2010 Mayo Clinic study).

There are 70 million baby-boomers out there who will be looking for geriatricians soon. But there is only one geriatrician for every 2,600 Americans over the age of 75, according to the American Geriatrics Society. Why is this? Money. Geriatricians made a median salary of $183,523 in 2010, reports the Medical Group Management Association. America desperately needs more geriatricians, but young doctors are choosing to specialize in other areas because they can earn two-to-three times more.

Money is a suitable incentive, especially when you are asking people to give up their youth studying while amassing debt. But Obamacare removes the practical “profit motive” of capitalism and replaces it with the idealistic “poverty motive” of socialism.

A Better Way

I think trying to save something that is hopelessly broken, like Medicare, is a mistake. Ultimately, I think it’s a choice between complete government control over limited medical care resources or a more freedom-based system where prices are lower because competition exists and health insurance is actually insurance (now, insurance covers basic, common care which is ridiculous and causes overall healthcare costs to rise). Insurance should only be involved in major medical care; otherwise, it’s not insurance, it’s maintenance.

When it comes to medicine, you get what you pay for. As patients, I think we should be willing to pay a little more in exchange for the highest quality of care. Sorry, President Obama, but your plan is “JurassicParkCare”—doctors go extinct and their patients go untreated while your buddies in Hollywood cheer.

Read More: http://townhall.com/columnists/katiekieffer/2012/0...

• Redneck 2012/05/23 06:21:29
    Redneck
    +2
    None of the Docs I work with secretly hate Obamacare, they hate it right out in the public square as do it. Don't get me wrong, there are parts of Obamacare that should be brought back under a free market plan. I'm all for extreme oversight of home health agencies, but broaden the range of people that home health is able to cover. After all, home health care is the most affordable form of health care we have. But over all, Obamacare MUST go.
  • "Abe" Redneck 2012/05/24 02:34:36
    "Abe"
    Thank you, sir. And I agree with your comments. "Free market", to me, is the key. Let the doctors, patients, hospitals and the insurance companies deal with this in a rational capitalist way~~!!
  • Redneck "Abe" 2012/05/24 02:43:48
    Redneck
    +2
    For instance, there have been a few docs try to set up a monthy premium that their established patients can pay that will cover the office visit and routine things like lab work and such. Medicare shot them down for it, even though it's EXTREMELY efficient economically. Let my tell you something, based on my experiance in the health care field, the federal government has no desire to bring down the cost of health care, NONE. the things they could do that would decrease cost quickly and easily, they won't even discuss.
  • "Abe" Redneck 2012/05/24 18:17:52 (edited)
    "Abe"
    I understand, sir. My "minor" in college was "Hospital Administration" and it's really hard to deal with the "beauracracy". You're correct - the federal (and in most cases states) have no interest in anything but the "status quo" or something worse. Thanks for your "enlightenment".~~!!
  • jeane 2012/05/02 00:55:45
    jeane
    +2
    I would like to hear from the Medical Profession.
  • "Abe" jeane 2012/05/02 00:58:18 (edited)
    "Abe"
    +1
    I doubt any have time to reply due to their "workload". Get it? Join their "blogs" and you'll get an ear and eye full~~!!
  • jeane "Abe" 2012/05/02 00:59:22
    jeane
    +1
    Then the "medical " debate doesn't mean anything without them!
  • "Abe" jeane 2012/05/02 01:05:01
    "Abe"
    The "debate" is going on - just not in our SH "circles". This post is meant for our (SH) folks to "opinionate" on. The doctors are doing their own "thing" on their "blogs"~~!!
  • jeane "Abe" 2012/05/02 01:21:18
    jeane
    +1
    What I meant was without the "input" of doctors what we think is moot. They, after all are the "star" players.
  • "Abe" jeane 2012/05/02 01:54:23 (edited)
    "Abe"
    +1
    Good point but rest assured, if you check the news often, they are making their voices heard. Check out Dr, Marc Siegel on Fox News (and yes he is a "real" and very respected doctor who practices medicine. He may also teach - I'm not sure). He often speaks to this subject.
  • jeane "Abe" 2012/05/03 02:15:59
    jeane
    +1
    I will check then out - thank you!
  • "Abe" jeane 2012/05/04 01:13:07
    "Abe"
    +1
    Most welcome~~!! :)
  • Redneck jeane 2012/05/24 02:45:49
    Redneck
    +2
    I'm a Home Health Physical Therapist and I'm here to tell you that Obamacare is a freaking joke, except for a few aspects that can be done without the law. Docs and therapists alike are chomping at the bit to see Obamacare shot down. The good aspects can be brought back in a more free market approach.
  • jeane Redneck 2012/05/24 02:50:19
    jeane
    +1
    That is what I am hearing. If we have any fix at all it has to come from within the medical community not from government!
  • Redneck jeane 2012/05/24 02:57:24
    Redneck
    +2
    THANK YOU, someone give this woman an AMEN! You want to save money, stop buying ever hospital discharge an assistive device that they'll use for a couple of weeks at best that cost anywhere from $50 to $200. Have each inpatient facility issue ambulatory devices (canes, walker, wheel chairs, crutches, etc) to each patient depending on their need, to be returned and their $20 deposit refunded when their weight bearing status increases to the next level. You'd save millions upon millions!!! Instead of everyone with chronic health issues running to the dr office or hospitall all the time, allow non homebound patients to sign up for home healthcare, which is much much cheaper than outpatient treatment and drs visits. Most of what goes on in a drs office is done by a nurse anyway. Why can't a homehealth nurse just call a doc and a new script sent to their pharma of choice without medicare having to pay for a routine dr visit? Same way with physical therapy, I don't have to maintain a rehab gym, equipment or anything, just change the oil in my car every couple of weeks.
  • jeane Redneck 2012/05/24 03:06:43 (edited)
    jeane
    +1
    Sounds great to me. I take care of my mom who is 81 and in reasonably good health. She had a bad fall and I took some care classes to assist her. I want her in her home and I am willing to do whatever it takes to keep her here. Thank you for your assistance to people like us.
  • Redneck jeane 2012/05/24 13:10:10
    Redneck
    +1
    I'd take a look at a provider agency. I have no idea if you'll qualify financially, but you may be able to get some help in the house for a couple of hours a day, so you can have some Jean time. You have to make sure you take time for yourself. If your mother has any independence or chronic health issues, she may qualify for home health. Next time she sees her doc, you should bring it up. Keeping our patients living in their own home is our main purpose in home health.
  • jeane Redneck 2012/05/24 14:12:40
    jeane
    +1
    She is fine for now - but in the future that may be an option. Thank you!
  • "Abe" Redneck 2012/05/24 18:23:58
    "Abe"
    +1
    Good advice NDN~~!!
  • "Abe" Redneck 2012/05/24 18:21:58 (edited)
    "Abe"
    +1
    Good point on the "required" dr. visit just to get a prescription.~~!!

(BTW - I gave "jean" an "Amen"~!!) :)
  • "Abe" jeane 2012/05/24 18:20:10
    "Abe"
    +1
    Amen, jean~~!!
  • "Abe" Redneck 2012/05/24 18:19:29
    "Abe"
    +1
    Amen to that~~!!

2014/04/18 23:21:58