Why would we want to screw over the Mid West with the Keystone Pipeline?

Zombie Saddam 2012/02/13 23:01:54
I have to dissent with many of the Conservatives on Soda Head on the much talked about Keystone Pipeline that President Obama gave the no-go on. But, you ask, how could you possible be against such a pro-America, jobs initiative? Well here's the dirty little secret about the Keystone XL Pipeline: It would be ungodly awful to the states it passes through and would be a complete disaster for states-rightists under the 10th Amendment.

Consider:
-> The Keystone Pipeline is extremely unsafe from a strictly engineering stand point as a former engineer on the project points out. The materials are shoddy. The supervision negligible and the room for error high. Indeed, TransCanada (the company operating the pipeline) has already had accidents under their watch. When THEIR OWN engineer brought this to their attention, they fired him. The room for a spill would devastate the Mid Western states such as Nebraska and Kansas.

-> The Pipeline would actually raise gas prices in the Mid West. "How could this be if it's importing MORE oil?" Well the question is WHERE the oil is being imported. The Keystone Pipeline essentially shifts oil flow towards Texas and the Gulf Coast rather than the MidWest. This could cost around 15 cents a gallon to a state like Kansas.

Though it's pretty clear the Federal Government has the right to regulate interstate commerce, that doesn't mean we need to be in the business of pushing things on states that aren't in their best interest. I don't claim to know what is in the best interest of Kansas, Nebraska or the other Western states. But I also don't claim to know that this Pipeline is the best thing since sliced bread and should be passed through these states without the concerns of the local residents and safety issues.

So in an uncharacteristic decision, President Obama made the right call here by respecting the rights of the states.

• rustyshackelford 2012/02/14 05:53:53
  • Mindlesspartyhack 2012/02/14 05:07:05
    Mindlesspartyhack
    I'm still checking it out.
    I'm a Conservative on most things. I won't hammer you for voicing your opinion (concerns)
    Seems like both sides feel we should all be in lock-step on every issue.

I actually agree with President Obama on some things (not many, but some)
  • Rusty Shackleford 2012/02/14 00:13:28
    We're not "forcing" anything and it is entirely reasonable
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    I think the left doesn't believe that union labor is capable of building a safe pipeline.
  • Zombie ... Rusty S... 2012/02/14 00:25:51
    Zombie Saddam
    What does unionized/non-unionized have to do with it?
  • Rusty S... Zombie ... 2012/02/14 00:30:24
    Rusty Shackleford
    The left says it will leak, why would they say that if they trusted our labor force?
  • NPC 2012/02/13 23:03:55
    NPC
    +1
    The Democrats are trying to hold up the Keystone Pipeline for their wacko eco base of voters. We will vote Barry out and build it anyway.
  • Zombie ... NPC 2012/02/13 23:05:20
    Zombie Saddam
    +1
    Certainly the Democrats are pandering to an environmental base. But I fear that if we simply take the fact that "wackos" oppose it that we should intuitively support it. It might not be as good a deal as we think it to be.

2014/10/23 00:58:09