Why the sudden hostility toward religion in America in the last few years? What's up with that?

Simmering Frog 2012/06/27 23:56:03
Related Topics: Religion, America

• greasywap 2012/08/01 18:50:28
    greasywap
    +2
    I have been asking this very same question! WT...? I have had to close my online social accounts and ended aquaintances with people because they would verbally attack me after posting something about religion. It's like there is a war being posted against God...hey....wait...thats in the bible...near the end.... Yipes!
  • Silversnake 2012/06/28 17:32:23
    Silversnake
    I have no idea. Apparently they feel that by discriminating against and hating religious people it somehow makes them better than the religious people who they claim discriminate against and condemn them
  • Clay Sl... Silvers... 2012/06/28 18:04:00
    Clay Slayer
    You have it backwards.. The religious condemn and curse those that dont believe thier dogma.. Been that way for centuries.. Bout thime they got a dose of their own medicine..
  • Silvers... Clay Sl... 2012/06/28 19:15:47
    Silversnake
    I don't have it backwards. Is it not the case that non-religious people condemn others for being religious? Regardless of how justified they feel in doing it, it doesn't make them any better people.

That's like saying it's okay for black people to hate white people because white people have hated black people for so long. But discrimination is discrimination, regardless

And not all religious people condemn others. Christianity itself does not advocate condemning and discriminating against other
  • Clay Sl... Silvers... 2012/06/28 19:56:23
    Clay Slayer
    Most atheist do not condemn people for what they believe all they ask is for them to keep it to themselves.. Or come up with some rational reasons one should believe..This is what pisses the bible thumpers off They have no rationality to explain their superstitions...

The above statement is BS...
    the Christian belief that non-Christians will be condemned to hell,

The bible itself teaches hate... You know Kill the Homos,, Kill the non believers,,, rape women,, kill Babies.. Yep Religion is wonderful..

If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple." (Luke 14:26)

Then they speak of Morals.. Yea Right.. I could give you stories of people I observed over the last 65 years from the Good Christian Community that have the morals of a pile of snakes.....Yep Religion is Great...
  • Silvers... Clay Sl... 2012/06/29 16:52:37
    Silversnake
    http://www.biblegateway.com/p...

This is just one example where Christianity condemns other "christians" who consider themselves to be better than others. There's also the case where Jesus has mercy on the adulteress who was about to be stoned, and He also is constanty rebuking the Scribes and Pharisees for their condescending views over other people

Luke 14:26 also does not advocate hate, but advocates the love people should have for God compared to that of their family members. It goes along with the verses Matthew 10: 34-36, where it speaks of the conflict between family members when one decides to follow God and the others do not

You make a very novice mistake to misinterpret the Bible so carelessly as to think Jesus is truly advocating hating your family when it CLEARLY tells you to love your family and your enemies in many other verses. And for the record, here's a translation of Luke 14:26 that I believe gives a better idea of the true message Jesus was trying to preach

“If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple.

also this one as well

Those who come to me cannot be my disciples unless they love me more than they love fat...
    http://www.biblegateway.com/p...

also this one as well

Those who come to me cannot be my disciples unless they love me more than they love father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and themselves as well.
  • Clay Sl... Silvers... 2012/06/29 17:05:06 (edited)
    Clay Slayer
    I read what it says,, No intrepretation.. It is all BS anyway...Hate is hate..

Using the bible to validate the word of the bible is Absurd...It says one thing in one place and contradicts itself in another....
  • Silvers... Clay Sl... 2012/06/29 17:11:00
    Silversnake
    The Bible can be interpreted in many ways, but only one way is correct. I truly marvel at the fact that you really Bible Jesus would tell us to hate our family after all the lessons of love that He teaches.

You don't find anything out of place about that? Are you so stuck on your stubborn beliefs that you won't change them even though they clearly don't correlated with the obvious facts?
  • Clay Sl... Silvers... 2012/06/29 17:15:50
    Clay Slayer
    And I suppose you, like all bible thumpers Know the true interpretation??? Yep! what freakin arrogance....That is the only dodge you people have when questioned... "Oh you dont understand but I do "" LMFAO
  • Silvers... Clay Sl... 2012/06/29 17:19:52
    Silversnake
    Alright then, what would you choose to believe? That the Bible teaches hates everywhere except for the thousands of verses that it doesn't? That's not a very rational idea, you know
  • Clay Sl... Silvers... 2012/06/29 17:26:56 (edited)
    Clay Slayer
    Well rationallity will tell you It doesnt matter how much love is taught, when hate is taught it is Hate and it negates all the love BS...But the bible again is nothing but stories. and I base my beliefs on Reality, not some dream...FYI I am a graduate from a baptist seminar.. Been studying religion for 50 years,,, It is all mythology and superstition.. Even Religious scholars have begun to admit the big Lie....

Christianity is based on fear
    Christianity preys on the innocent
    Christianity is based on dishonesty
    Christianity is extremely egocentric
    Christianity breeds arrogance, a chosen-people mentality
    Christianity breeds authoritarianism
    Christianity is cruel
    Christianity is anti-intellectual, anti-scientific
    Christianity has a morbid, unhealthy preoccupation with sex
    Christianity produces sexual misery
    Christianity has an exceedingly narrow, legalistic view of morality
    Christianity encourages acceptance of real evils while focusing on imaginary evils
    Christianity depreciates the natural world
    Christianity models hierarchical, authoritarian organization
    Christianity sanctions slavery
    Christianity is misogynistic
    Christianity is homophobic
    The Bible is not a reliable guide to Christ's teachings
    The Bible is riddled with contradictions
    Christianity borrowed its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions
  • Silvers... Clay Sl... 2012/06/29 17:36:14
    Silversnake
    That's actually not rational. It's not rational that He would teach love just to teach hate later on and then go back to teaching love again. It's clear that your unfounded beliefs are blocking your mind to what obviously makes sense: he was never teaching hate in the first place

The verses on love are obvious and undeniable; why do you think only the verse on "hate" is the one that has alternate interpretations?

And why should I worry about what religious scholars are deciding? I have my own personal reasons to believe in God, so quick trying to convert me into your religion of non-belief
  • Clay Sl... Silvers... 2012/06/29 17:46:36
    Clay Slayer
    He?? Who is He?? There is no evidence that HE ever existed.

No one cares what. you believe.. just keep it to yourself. But of

course you again think you are right and all the people are wrong if they dont follow your dogma.. And FYU Non Belief is not a religion.. Another dumb misconception by you bible thumpers..

The Scholars are showing religion and belief in God/Gods to be what is . irrational belief and delusion....

Have a happy delusional Day...
  • Silvers... Clay Sl... 2012/06/29 18:02:50
    Silversnake
    Keep it to myself? You're the one who replied to my comment in the first place. You're the one who's being a dogmatic fool and believe that your beliefs are the only true ones.

You're the perfect example of the kind of atheist I mensioned in my original comment and you're doing a great job proving how accurate my point is that athiest somehow think they're justified in their discrimnation.

And then you act like I'm forcing it on someone after you criticize me with no provocation? You've already surrounded yourself with so much ignorance that there's no point in trying to have an intelligent conversation with you when you've already decided that you don't want to listen
  • PrettieReptar 2012/06/28 14:55:30 (edited)
    PrettieReptar
    I've noticed the hostility to Christianity over the last year. Hmmm....not too hard to figure out. Obama & Liberal media.

With Bush it was Islam. But then again, 911 was pretty fresh.
  • Clay Slayer 2012/06/28 13:27:42 (edited)
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    It is a gradual thing,, Religions have told people to set down and shut up and not to question their irrational logic for centuries... People the have lost the need for an invisable friend and able to face reality are tired of being told they are Damned because they dont believe in a fairy godfather... It isnt like it used to be where if you didnt believe you were tortured, untill you converted or were Killed... Fear is the only motivation to believe all that dogma. If the Fundies dont want hostility,, Keep your religion where it belongs,, Home, and your Church..
  • The Electrician 2012/06/28 02:04:21
    The Electrician
    +2
    Religion is nothing more than Hypocrisy based on Mythology. Time for all intelligent people to climb out of the caves. Be serious, get a life and contribute something to mankind.
  • Simmeri... The Ele... 2012/06/28 04:20:07
    Simmering Frog
    +1
    You mean like the university system? Hospitals?
  • The Ele... Simmeri... 2012/06/29 02:17:39
    The Electrician
    +1
    NO ! I mean like religion.
  • socokid 2012/06/28 01:17:25
    socokid
    +3
    Prayer in school, creationism in school, erecting monuments on public land without permission, gay rights, abortions rights, end of days prophecies, mansion studded evangelists, pedophile priests, ensuing cover-up, The Westboro Baptist Church, 9/11, Mumbai, Sudan...

etc, etc, etc...

• Mark In Irvine 2012/06/28 00:47:59
    Mark In Irvine
    +2
    the hostility is not sudden. the right-wing has been fomenting this conflict since the Nixon days. you reap what you sow.
  • angelbaby 2012/06/28 00:44:21
    angelbaby
    +3
    Seems to me the hostility is mostly focused on Christianity and Judaism ..
  • Mr. T angelbaby 2012/06/28 01:04:17
    Mr. T
    +2
    Mostly Christianity. Been a HUGE attack from many groups, mainly atheists, Liberals, Progressives and Obama himself.
  • angelbaby Mr. T 2012/06/28 01:08:51 (edited)
    angelbaby
    +2
    And it's more evident daily .. Seems to be a rise of it on SH in the last week or so too!
  • Mr. T angelbaby 2012/06/28 01:10:54
    Mr. T
    +1
    I see that. They are even making "homo cookies" now.
  • angelbaby Mr. T 2012/06/28 01:14:07
    angelbaby
    +1
    I had to stay far away from that poll ..
  • Mr. T 2012/06/28 00:38:24
    Mr. T
    +2
    Listen to Paul Harvey's dissertation on "how to ruin America", that explains it to a "T".
  • Simmeri... Mr. T 2012/06/28 00:39:20
    Simmering Frog
    +1
    I've heard that! Excellent!
  • DFA 2012/06/28 00:23:37
    DFA
    +2
    Logic came into play?
  • VERYwiseguy 2012/06/28 00:16:07
    VERYwiseguy
    +4
    Churches closing,pedophile priests,Evangelical T.V. Ministries,Muslim intolerance just plain hypocrisy in religions worldwide.Maybe it's just more exposed since global communication idk? Perhaps better education on the subject? Or could it be we're becoming more sophisticated concerning ourselves with facts and science rather than religious beliefs?
  • socokid VERYwis... 2012/06/28 01:09:56
    socokid
    +2
    * All of the Above
  • Idiot repubs 2012/06/28 00:06:01
    Idiot repubs
    +2
    The Catholic church tries to dictate health care options, they deserve to be criticized.
  • Simmeri... Idiot r... 2012/06/28 00:11:33
    Simmering Frog
    +4
    In their private hospitals, it is their constitutional right.
  • Idiot r... Simmeri... 2012/06/28 00:26:40
    Idiot repubs
    +1
    Except it isn't in their hospitals, its people who may sweep their college dorms.
  • Simmeri... Idiot r... 2012/06/28 00:30:05
    Simmering Frog
    +4
    This question isn't about Catholicism. It's about religion in general. Also, if you are referring to Georgetown, that is a private college.
  • The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk 2012/06/28 00:04:16
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +3
    It's a mix of Pedophile priests, the vatican protecting them, the tolerance they cry for but never show in return, Westboro Baptist Church, The Pope treating nuns like they are heretics. Every war in history has had a religious nutjob at the helm, and much, much more.
  • socokid The Eli... 2012/06/28 01:18:40
    socokid
    +2
    Wow... read yours after writing mine.

Jinx.
  • The Sane One 2012/06/28 00:00:07
    The Sane One
    +3
    Because of the massive wave of evangelical prostheletizing during the prior years.
  • Simmeri... The San... 2012/06/28 00:01:42
    Simmering Frog
    +2
    That's not true. Nothing has changed from the religious side. You are trying to make the argument that it's a reaction to an action. That's not true. The secularists are the ones making the actions. The religious people are reacting.
  • The San... Simmeri... 2012/06/28 00:35:23
    The Sane One
    +1
    Not True, and you know it.

There has been a HUGE wave of religious evangelical prostheltizing... just as once example, the amount of shows like the 700 Club being shown on 'our' airwaves--- but with a huge backlash from them for shows like 'bewitched' and 'charmed.'.

There are huge crosses being put on public land... but there's no other religious symbols (of any size) being allowed on those same sites. There's been the attempts to post the 10 Commandments on public walls, even though it's kind of clear that the 10 Commandments are unconstitutional.

Add to the antics of such notables as Jerry Falwell, Fred Phelps and Ted Haggard... and you'll begin to see that very few of them actually practice what they preach.

People who want to share their religious views with you, almost never want you to share yours with them. -- Dave Barry

The problem is that the atheists and agnostics are usually willing to keep quiet-- until they're pushed into defending their rights by people who think they have a divine right to impose THEIR religious views upon the rest of society.

Then, when the atheists and agnostics start to object and push back, that is when the religious folks then cry "FOUL".

2014/07/23 16:07:02