Why should people allow muslims, christians, jews and others get away with so much due to their religious affiliation? Doesnt freedom of religion apply to those who wish to live their lives free of religion; freedom from freligion?

cccp 2008/03/04 22:11:02

• ANGEL 2009/03/13 23:28:34
    ANGEL
    Freedom of religion means freedom to believe or not to believe.

(As an aside: Funny that the top comment made by Derek has been moderated. I don't know what he said that got him 4 raves, but he was one of the most religiously intolerant soda heads that I've met on these polls. Glad he's gone!)
  • Bill - Buffalo Soldier 2009/01/27 04:27:22
    Bill - Buffalo Soldier
    The Establishment Clause and the Free Exercise Clause together read:

“ Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. ”

In the twentieth century, the Supreme Court more closely scrutinized government activity involving religious institutions. In Everson v. Board of Education (1947), the Supreme Court upheld a New Jersey statute funding student transportation to schools, whether parochial or not. Justice Hugo Black held,

The "establishment of religion" clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the federal government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another. Neither can force nor influence a person to go to or to remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion. No person can be punished for entertaining or professing religious beliefs or disbeliefs, for church attendance or non-attendance. No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever form they may adopt to teach or practice religion. Neither a state nor the Federal Government can, openly or secretly, p...""

The "establishment of religion" clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the federal government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another. Neither can force nor influence a person to go to or to remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion. No person can be punished for entertaining or professing religious beliefs or disbeliefs, for church attendance or non-attendance. No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever form they may adopt to teach or practice religion. Neither a state nor the Federal Government can, openly or secretly, participate in the affairs of any religious organizations or groups and vice versa. In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect "a wall of separation between church and State."

It all means in the end - do your own thing and you are just fine. ACLU has taken the case of a Minnesota Muslim School which teaches the Koran (Quran) and takes public money. First time they have fought against anything other than Christians. Will be interesting to see the outcome.
  • newius 2009/01/26 05:39:04
    newius
    My Christian faith tells me to do unto others as I would have them do unto me. Therefore, as a Christian, I guess I am "getting away with" allowing you to believe what you want and I will even help you. However I am obligated to explain Christianity to you if you will listen but I am forbidden from forcing you into submission. God wants you to choose of your own free will. Your life is sacred, it has purpose. And you have the rest of your life to sort it out. But you may not know the hour of your death. So keep your options open and consider the path less traveled.

Peace.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2008/05/06 20:32:17
  • ..... 2008/04/07 00:58:56
    .....
    +1
    It's in our Constitution for a very good reason.
  • dngrwill 2008/03/05 00:22:57
  • cccp dngrwill 2008/03/06 15:44:09 (edited)
    cccp
    special enterest groups and politicians play on religous values that the alleged 'majority' holds every day.
  • dngrwill cccp 2008/03/06 17:38:15
  • cccp dngrwill 2008/03/06 19:22:33
    cccp
    just because you dont agree, doesnt mean its not happening.
  • dngrwill cccp 2008/03/06 19:25:20
  • cccp dngrwill 2008/03/06 19:33:57 (edited)
    cccp
    tax exemption, they rape thousands of children and very few ever see prison, unlike average citizens who fill the prisons. every week i hear about church officials involved in money laundering. just to name a few. these things happen everyday, and if these people werent affiliated with the church. they would all be in prison.
  • dngrwill cccp 2008/03/06 19:36:33
  • ..... dngrwill 2008/04/07 00:58:25
    .....
    Have you been being naughty again?

Shame, shame.

:)
  • cccp cccp 2008/03/06 19:39:21 (edited)
    cccp
    is rape stricktly for psychos? is tax exemption for the whole hearted? there arent enough moral non-profit organizations to count on one hand. poor fat white guys afraid of change.
    and on my money it says 'In God We Trust"
  • cccp Sister ... 2008/03/06 19:35:43
    cccp
    +1
    i have a large tattoo of satan on my arm, does that make satan in charge of me?
  • newius cccp 2009/01/26 05:42:15
    newius
    Does it?
  • Grime 2008/03/04 23:29:50
    Grime
    +1
    Yes, but then that would conflict with the first statement, in that we all have freedom of religion. Not just restricted to one person.
  • scarecrow-Aus Cattle Dogs rule 2008/03/04 23:27:29
    scarecrow-Aus Cattle Dogs rule
    +2
    This is how these organizations/businesses make their money. Preying upon weak minded individuals, making them believe they will enter Nirvana(and not the band) and all will be just one lil ole happyfest. Nothing like dedicating your life to some make believe character. Might as well worship Walt Disney and all the make believe characters he created.LOL:):):):)
  • pitbullmomma raccoonsista! 2008/03/04 23:23:06
    pitbullmomma raccoonsista!
    +2
    What are they all getting away with? I always thought everyone had as much right not to practice a religion as they have to practice one.
  • Jen**GPAC** 2008/03/04 23:20:40
    Jen**GPAC**
    +2
    You can do what you want in my opinion.. this is coming from a Muslim..
  • Derek 2008/03/04 23:03:46
  • cccp Derek 2008/03/06 15:12:19 (edited)
    cccp
    +1
    they do by allowing that amendment to be inforced ... that is the only thing protecting them..(the occult)
  • Kiki 2008/03/04 23:01:01 (edited)
    Kiki
    +4
    Actually, people are afforded the freedom from religion in that they have the freedom to elect to or not to participate in religion. The separation of church and state is clearly spelled out in the 1st Amend. of the U.S. Constitution:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

That being the case, it does beg the question as to why religions are tax exempt if the U.S. government "shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." The other thing most people fail to recognize the majority of the framers of the U.S. Constitution were deists and not Christians which makes sense since most of the people who went to the colonies did so to avoid religious persecution. Incidentally, being deists they believed in God, hence the "In God We Trust" slogans and other references to God and nothing said about Jesus/Christ.

There is a vast difference between having faith in God and having faith in religion.
  • newius Kiki 2009/01/26 05:23:30 (edited)
    newius
    Religions are exempt because they are not for profit.
  • Kiki newius 2009/01/26 13:49:22
    Kiki
    You may want to rethink your belief that churches are truly "non-profit" especially since MANY churches have multi-million dollar facilities, church camps, recreational facilities that rival some of the best community facilities, as well as pastors/ministers with private jets, multi-million dollar estates, second homes and luxury vehicle, custom made suits and such.
  • newius Kiki 2009/01/27 02:29:25 (edited)
    newius
    ...as do other non-religious non-profit organizations. But you do have a good point. It is hard for a rich person to enter the Kingdom. But please take care not to give in to envy. It is not right to covet thy neighbors goods. In some cases these apparent riches may be a sign of respect that accumulates over many years. And, as in social settings, these gifts should belong to the community. I am sure there are those among us who exploit the system.
  • Kiki newius 2009/01/27 03:56:16
    Kiki
    I don't covet/envy anyone else's "stuff" I have more than enough of my own, trust me.
  • newius Kiki 2009/01/27 07:42:36
    newius
    Excellent. I will practice self-control and not envy your stuff. ;)

I am sorry I got preachy. I did not intend to imply that you are envious, but that there is a general sort of "envy" running the world and I may have thought for a moment that I could draw your attention to it's effect so that you would avoid stepping in it.
  • Bitwise... Kiki 2009/01/27 05:18:16
    Bitwise Operator
    I'd be happy to be corrected in my thinking, but it seems to me that the establishment clause has until recently been understood that congress may not establish any religion as "the religion". I don't believe that congress is prohibited from respecting religion or even promoting it - just forcing people to adhere to a specific one.

How long has congress been opened with a prayer now?
    (see Marsh v. Chambers, 1983)
  • kmay 2008/03/04 22:12:45 (edited)
    kmay
    +4
    Establishment Clause of the Constitution:

It's Freedom OF Religion, and the practice thereof... NOT Freedom FROM Religion!
  • cccp kmay 2008/03/04 22:14:11 (edited)
    cccp
    +1
    every one must have a religion then?
  • Roxie cccp 2008/03/04 22:21:53
    Roxie
    +1
    No way.... brain wash and cult control.
  • amoretpax Roxie 2008/03/04 23:06:38
  • Roxie amoretpax 2008/03/04 23:19:35
  • amoretpax Roxie 2008/03/04 23:20:26
  • cccp amoretpax 2008/03/06 15:24:27
    cccp
    +1
    the occultists, the religious ones. you are automaticaly narrowing youre minds, and judging others wether it be consious or not; because youve been taught to do so. the bible doesnt explain why anything meaningful happens, insted it tries to lead you like a shepards flock, oblivious to anything tangible or worthwhile... blind.
    besides it wasnt even translated out of latin untill like the 16th century. who knows how many times its been edited and re-writen to correspond with present day enterests, but we wouldnt dare venture into our neighbors field and fill our basket with grapes.
  • Roxie kmay 2008/03/04 22:21:19
    Roxie
    +1
    That needs to be changed.
  • ..... Roxie 2008/04/07 00:57:14
    .....
    You're covered. You can believe or not believe whatever you choose without recourse.

The Congress established it and the Court upheld it.
  • ..... kmay 2008/04/07 00:56:15
    .....
    The absence of religion is an expression of religion as well. Thus, freedom FROM religion.

If you can't choose "none of the above", you would be forced to choose one out of the salad bar. That is a denial of freedom of religion if none suit your beliefs.

2014/12/19 04:03:31