Why no grand jury for Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin shooting?

Manuel 2012/04/09 22:18:11
They should take it to a Grand Jury.
They should not take this to a Grand Jury.
Angela Corey, the special
prosecutor appointed to investigate the shooting death of Trayvon
Martin, claimed on Monday that the case will not go to a grand jury.

The decision will not rule out the possibility that George Zimmerman, Martin's possible killer, could be arrested.

Even though a grand jury had been set to meet Tuesday in Sanford, Fla., where the Feb. 26 shooting occurred.

"From the moment she was assigned,
Ms. Corey reasoned out she may not need a grand jury. from
Corey's office statement read.

"The decision should not be considered a factor in
the final determination of the case. At this time, the investigation
continues and there will be no further comment from this office."

The lawyer for Martin's family,
Ben Crump, said in a statement that he was hopeful the announcement by
the special prosecutor would be followed by the announcement of
Zimmerman's arrest.

"We had hoped she had enough
evidence without the need to convene a grand jury," Crump said. "The
family is trying to have patience and faith through all of this. We know
we want that day to come. We want a very public trial so the evidence
can come out and show people that the justice system works for
everybody."

According to Orlando's WFTV, Zimmerman could be arrested as early as this week.

Earlier Monday, lawyers for the
neighborhood watchman said that if Zimmerman is not charged, he would
speak out.

So far Zimmerman has not spoken to the media since the shooting. This is raising suspicion on the grounds of what was actually said between the two that set off the fighting.

SUMMATION could play a major roll on Zimmerman's part.

• lm1b2 2012/04/09 22:34:14
    lm1b2
    +5
    Why would you take it to a grand jury if their were no laws broken.

• Vision of Verve 2012/05/05 19:20:08
  • Matt 2012/04/10 18:09:54 (edited)
    Matt
    +1
    The short answer is money. The county is broke and this one case, due to the public exposure would more than exhaust their legal budget. They are probably hoping that the state or federal government will take up the case.

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______

Friday May 6 marks the finale of the 60-day Florida legislative session but for some folks in our area, they know their budget next fiscal year might be cut, like a portion of the Florida's medicaid program.

Tallahassee Memorial Hospital Spokesman Warren Jones says, "It looks like the reduction will be about 6 million dollars cut to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital for the next fiscal year and we're looking at that right now and we're looking at that in our budget for next year."

Jones says the hospital doesn't plan to lay off any staff due to 6 million dollar cut, but they're deciding how they will balance their programs next fiscal year.

Jones says, "Health care of course is very important and people who need health care want to make sure that it's here and available to them and that it's the highest quality, and we plan to do that.

Health care isn't the only thing being cut this legislative session, it's also affecting some of our local school districts. Public education will face about an eight perce...

Health care isn't the only thing being cut this legislative session, it's also affecting some of our local school districts. Public education will face about an eight percent cut next fiscal year.

Leon County Schools Superintendent Jackie Pons says, "Now we're down almost one thousand dollars a student; if we had the same revenue in Leon County that we had back in 2008, that would be an additional 37 million dollars."

Even some local parents say they're affected by the budget cuts.

Denise Curry says, "I don't know where the cuts should be, I just don't think it should be education and it definitely shouldn't be health care, and they shouldn't raise our taxes."

Several local non-profit organizations are also feeling the pinch. Most folks say with the rough economy and the cuts, budget cuts are something that every industry should prepare for.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headl...
  • Manuel Matt 2012/04/13 03:08:37 (edited)
    Manuel
    well...you got your wish...this is not going to a Grand Jury.
  • Matt Manuel 2012/04/13 13:06:13
    Matt
    It's not my wish that every level of government in this country has been bankrupted. That is the wish of our Federal government, who destroyed their income and property tax bases.

Many people on this website are mistakenly blaming communism, when in actuality, it is being done to force all city, county, and state governments into privatizing all of their property and services.
  • Manuel Matt 2012/04/16 18:42:45
    Manuel
    +1
    every level of government in this country has been bankrupted by the GOP way before Obama was even in college dude...Reaganomics created all this mess....not the Federal part of the Government...
  • Matt Manuel 2012/04/16 22:28:00 (edited)
    Matt
    It's BOTH parties ! Neither one has done anything to benefit this country or its working class for over 50 years now. Obama just signed 3 more job killing "free trade" agreements.
  • Manuel Matt 2012/04/17 02:35:39
    Manuel
    You say it is.......I know it's not....
  • Brian Tristan MacQuillan 2012/04/10 08:48:41
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +1
    Since they will not be seeking First Degree Murder charges, it does not have to go to a Grand Jury. It is a practical matter of juris prudence.

Also, "George Zimmerman", is not "Martin's possible killer", as what we in the public have been told is, Zimmerman did pull the trigger. That has never been refuted. So Zimmerman did kill Martin. But the question is was he defending himself (Self Defense, which is not a crime), or was it an accident or mishap (Involuntary Manslaughter, Voluntary Manslaughter), or was it a willful ending of another person's life (various degrees of Murder).

If Zimmerman is charged with a crime, he will then be arrested, and then at some point their will be a trial. The onus to prove that Zimmerman was not defending himself (I am assuming he is going to claim Self Defense) rests with the State of Florida, and they will need to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt (I would suspect to a jury, as I am also assuming Zimmerman would ask for a jury trial). Also, if Zimmerman is exonerated of charges filed against him, it is found that he was defending himself, the Martin family will not be able to sue him civilly either.

As it is said, you can indicted a ham sandwich, so Zimmerman being charged with a crime is what it is, but convicting Zimmerman is g...

As it is said, you can indicted a ham sandwich, so Zimmerman being charged with a crime is what it is, but convicting Zimmerman is going to be a much harder nut to crack, and that is certainly supported by the length of time the investigation has gone on. I suspect the incident is not as cut and dry as the media has portrayed it, and also is not as nice and tidy as the Self Defense claim Zimmerman is making.
  • Manuel Brian T... 2012/04/13 03:11:10
    Manuel
    +1
    Zimmerman is doing a good job of doing him self in...
  • Brian T... Manuel 2012/04/13 04:41:41
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    Eh. He was not awfully bright to get out of his car in the first place (lack of impulse control). So the fact he has stayed in hiding as long as he has, I think is a hell of a accomplishment for him, considering the pressure he must be under.

The facts of the incident remain the same, that has not changed. We will see how things unfold, what exactly happened. My understanding of Florida law in regards to a "stand your ground/self defense" position taken by the accused is that it is ruled on by a judge (not a jury) prior to any trial proceedings, and that ruling will be based on the preponderance of the evidence (not the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard we see used in a criminal trial). So that will be the first legal hurdle to be crossed before it can go to trial. The special prosecutor seems rather confident, as she should be if she is filing charges, but Second Degree Murder is going to be difficult to prove if she does not have a humdinger of a ringer. We will all see as this one unfolds.
  • peggy 2012/04/10 06:09:24
    peggy
    +1
    No the stupid black panthers are butting in making threats now the whole thing is getting old. People will grow tired of it.... Zimmerman is being threatened by s bunch of hoodlums...what does that say for the parents of the dead boy. GET RID OF THE RACIST PANTHERS. GOD YOU PEOPLE ARE DUMB TO FOLLOW THESE TYPES OF PEOPLE.
  • Manuel peggy 2012/04/13 03:12:44
    Manuel
    The Martins have nothing to do with the NBPP. And while were at it...lets get rid of them and every white racist groups too...
  • peggy Manuel 2012/04/13 04:16:16
    peggy
    No I know they didnt. Opportunity came knocking like with sharpton and jackson always first to point fingers
  • ppk007@cfl.rr.com 2012/04/10 02:41:34
    ppk007@cfl.rr.com
    +1
    In my opinion, a grand jury would not have indicted..... probably the reason they did not take it to the GJ..........I suspect the Florida politicians (I Live in Florida) desire to get past the November elections.....therefore, they will charge Zimmerman...but due to speedy trial..they will wait until the first part of May to charge him....so even if he requests a speedy trial, the trial will not even start until after the elections....once Zimmerman goes to trial, I anticipate he will not be convicted.....not so much that I believe he is innocent. ... just that there is not enough solid evidence to secure a conviction....
  • Manuel ppk007@... 2012/04/13 03:15:05
    Manuel
    Zimmerman is doing a good job of doing him self in...he can't keep up with every lie...contradictions in his story is why it didn't go to the Grand Jury.
  • peggy Manuel 2012/04/13 17:06:23
    peggy
    Casey Anthony also walked away from Florida. It would have to be 1st degree murder in order to go to GJ. If they go with 2 nd degree they will probably settle on a lesser charge like manslaughter.
  • Manuel peggy 2012/04/16 18:51:13
    Manuel
    Casey Anthony was kinda like O.J. He got off too but Goldberg destroyed him because he had the money to do it in a civil court....Zenaida Gonzalez who has some money has filed a civil suit against Casey Anthony, who was acquitted last year of murder and other charges but can now also be destroyed in civil law suits just like O.J.
    If Zimmerman gets off many people may help raise the money for the Martins to take him down in civil court as well...
  • peggy Manuel 2012/04/16 21:53:28
    peggy
    Probably....he will walk. The panthers, sharpton, and Jackson will slowly back away ....he's. Not WHITE. OOOOPS
  • Manuel peggy 2012/04/17 02:39:13
    Manuel
    The panthers, .and...Sharpton,, Jackson are not on the same team...
    And Zimmerman is half white and thinks he all white....he gave that away...double ooops....
  • peggy Manuel 2012/04/17 03:24:36
    peggy
    Well the point is the Z haters thought they had a white person to pin it on. That what all the poohaha was about. I wo det if Obama thinks he's s White? Your such a racist
  • Manuel peggy 2012/04/17 14:53:03
    Manuel
    to bad your out to lunch on all this...if you actually think Sharpton and Jackson are the same as the "New" black Panthers...so I guess that makes you a real hater of blacks by just rolling them all into one big hate ball...you truly are a racist without even realizing it...You don't understand the identities here with black people... or who Zimmerman identifies himself with... you calling me a racist shows just how you are arrogant of all this...
  • peggy Manuel 2012/04/17 17:03:24
    peggy
    No again its YOUR OPINION. Just because I dont believe the same as you you call me racist arrogant out if touch. The truth is nobody knows what happened that night. Race baiters need to stay out of it including the anointed one. Yhey ate all stirrings the race pot.
  • Manuel peggy 2013/09/13 05:00:10
    Manuel
    again.....if you actually think Sharpton and Jackson are the same as the "New" black Panthers...that makes you a real hater of blacks by just rolling them all into one big hate ball.
  • peggy Manuel 2013/09/13 06:54:08 (edited)
    peggy
    Look Zimmerman walked just like he should have. IT makes you a real.hater of anyone who is not black. Get over it you lost. You were WRONG! Lol
  • Manuel peggy 2013/09/13 08:38:23
    Manuel
    We are taking about Sharpton and Jackson ...you prove to me they are like the New Black Panther's party...

and this is for Zimmerman...being your so pressed saying I am racist... http://malialitman.wordpress....
  • peggy ppk007@... 2012/04/13 17:08:16
    peggy
    Agree!
  • SteveMarine- JLA 2012/04/10 00:36:41
    SteveMarine- JLA
    +2
    Stop showing the pic of this thug kid when he was a little boy..... He isn't a innocent little boy. He was creeping around in the dark... He was confronted and he attacked zimmerman and would have probably been killed by the thug if zimmerman hadn't shot him... While zimmerman could have wounded him in the leg .. and not killed him...but we weren't there....we don't know what happened... But if I had saw a thug looking guy walking my streets where I live I would keep an eye on him also.... And I wouldnt hesitate to shoot one of these ghetto thugs if they attacked me.... It's called self defense.
  • registe... SteveMa... 2012/04/10 06:12:44
    registeredNYer
    +2
    You said 2 things that rang true in your little rant here, "we weren't there....we don't know what happened," So how bout a little respect for the dead young man who has absolutely no criminal history, No arrest for Gang banging, No drug arrests, No drunken disorderly, No criminal trespass, breaking and entering, Nothing on record. All they could dig up was an empty plastic baggie with weed residue in it. The last 3 presidents have all admitted to smoking weed well 1 guy says he didn't inhale but whatever Bill... 1 of em said he used cocaine on more than 1 occasion and still people voted him into the white house twice.
    Why are you sooo sure the guy with a growing arrest record is telling the truth? You think if your walking down the street and someone is following you and you confront that person then you deserve to die? Even though you can hear this young man pleading for help before he was murdered in cold blood by your decent honest citizen. You believe Zimmermans ever changing story?
  • Qban registe... 2012/04/10 18:56:41
    Qban
    You are as bad as the person you are criticizing...after all your dissertation you end up doing the same and forgot YOU WERE NOT THERE.
  • registe... Qban 2012/04/10 19:50:33
    registeredNYer
    +1
    The voice of the man crying out for help has been analyzed by 2 separate experts both of whom excluded Zimmerman as the person on the tape yelling for help. We know he was following the kid he said so himself. I only asked if the kid confronts the person following him does that earn him a death certificate.
  • irish SteveMa... 2012/04/10 12:43:13
    irish
    +1
    creeping around in the dark? he was walking home from the store!confronted? hardly,asking a creepy guy like zimmerman why he was following him is hardly confrontation.
    you really are into stereotyping aren't you?its not self defense ,it was murder.
  • SteveMa... irish 2012/04/10 16:15:08
  • registe... SteveMa... 2012/04/10 19:56:16
    registeredNYer
    +1
    You should look up the definition of Voluntary Manslaughter. I've posted it a couple times already, then you'll know why the man has no legal grounds to confront you, get into a physical altercation with you, then kill you during this altercation. The taking of someones life is usually not so easy to walk away from.
  • SteveMa... registe... 2012/04/10 21:04:49
    SteveMarine- JLA
    Self defense rights do not stop just because some one walks up to you.... So if I walk up to you on the streets and start beating your ass and you are in fear I'm gonna kill you... Guess you better lay there and take your ass beating right? Better not defend your self.
  • registe... SteveMa... 2012/04/10 22:59:32
    registeredNYer
    +2
    You just cant kill someone Steve it is strongly frowned upon by the law... You haven't taken my advise so you still think you can go out in the streets and fight to the death, but i believe that is what the charge of Manslaughter voluntary and involuntary is all about. You really should check it out.
  • SteveMa... registe... 2012/04/11 01:06:52
    SteveMarine- JLA
    If some one is beating on me or trying to kill me or my family I will use what ever means available to defend my family and my children....if I have to kill them to save my own life or my family then that's just how it is. And I don't care what the lib media or the obama goons have to say about it. I'm not gonna let some one damn kill me just because of a lib insane world. A man has a right to defend his self.
  • registe... SteveMa... 2012/04/11 01:38:13
    registeredNYer
    +2
    Ok... well, Good luck with that Steve.
  • SteveMa... registe... 2012/04/11 01:40:26
    SteveMarine- JLA
    I've lived 27 years and survived being a sheriff deputy and marine. I'm not gonna let some one just walk up and kill me or harm my family. Not gonna happen.
  • Manuel SteveMa... 2012/04/13 03:37:17
    Manuel
    I survived 58 years without being a sheriff's deputy and marine and never needed a gun in all that time. But if the world was filled with nothing but people like you...I buy the biggest gun I could get to protect my self from lunatics like you....lol
  • SteveMa... Manuel 2012/04/13 04:01:57
    SteveMarine- JLA
    Things are bad these days. Thugs running around killing old ladies for their money and their tv....kids being robbed while they wait for the school bus .... Ghetto thugs are like a virus and they run the streets even in the quiet areas. Self defense is every ones right and I will defend my home and family against criminals.

2014/10/31 20:47:49