Why must the children suffer?

Average American by Cory Merry 2011/02/18 15:42:09
Related Topics: Pension, Liberals, Wage
As the brouhaha in Wisconsin continues to rage unabated, my thoughts move from those brave teachers, fighting to retain their cushy jobs, tenure and wages, to the less fortunate, the children, unable to get their free breakfasts and lunches due to the unfortunate closings of these schools.

Now those of you who read my stuff on a regular basis know that if there is one thing I cannot abide, it is harm to a child. I refuse to quit smoking because of the devastation it could potentially bring upon our nation for the reduction in taxes I would be paying, all of which I am told goes directly to child medical care.

Now I watched last night as Ed Shultz and others tried to tag their names to a "movement" and I heard the long winded discussions of the poor, tired, unappreciated teachers who have been standing the cold for nearly a week, fighting to retain their wages and pensions. But I didn't hear a one of these registered Liberals mention the children, their poor empty little stomachs rumbling with hunger. Where is the compassion my liberal friends, where is the selfless dedication we hear so much about in the teaching profession? I wonder, would this not be the lead story if say a conservative bunch from a conservative organization like say the farmers who own the land that grows the food had suddenly decided to not sell to the school districts because the price of feed was too low and their personal profit wasn't high enough? If you really put this in perspective, that's what we are talking about.

Yes folks, the self centered teachers unions are starving the children for their own personal enrichment.

I would love to hear your thoughts...

But what would I know; I'm just an Average American.

• Louisa - Enemy of the State 2011/02/18 16:17:31
    I side with the Children
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +15
    I side with the children, with America and the recovery of America as a nation to be respected.

I'm tired of hearing from teachers how they are underpaid etc. The fact is, they are not underpaid and they have jobs with terrific job security. Just because they graduated from a four year college means little to me because there's a wide range of salaries for different professions after four years of college.

Also, if they were paid according to the quality of the end product.........they would be out of work.

• Don Heath 2sly 2011/02/19 16:42:52
    Don Heath
    +1
    Unfortunately your wife is one of few.. most teachers just care about thier pay.. it is just a job, not a calling.. too many are teachers that should not be.. and they are marching.. if they cared they would be in thier classrooms....
  • John "By God" American 2011/02/19 11:20:44
    John "By God" American
    +2
    Saul Alinsky would be proud of them because they obviously read his book.

Teachers will complain about how much money they will personally spend on teaching aids, books, paper etc. That's on them. But when I see people who make their living off the backs of the taxpayer b*tching and complaining about giving up just a little bit, while people in the private sector experience cutbacks like this routinely AND are being laid off? F*CK THEM!!!!
  • maggieb 2011/02/19 09:35:33
    I side with the Children
    maggieb
    +5
    All those greedy teachers should be fired period
  • Pam 2011/02/19 08:26:04
    I side with the Children
    Pam
    +6
    OK first of all lets get the story straight here. Ed Schultz is full of crap. For one thing. Nobody is freezing. All week the weather has been in the mid 40s. here For WI in Feb. that's pretty good. I know I put my winter coat away for a while.As for these pooooor teachers. Their average salary in this area is about 80,000 or more. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. As far as the kids going hungry. Some of the Madison high school teachers took the students up to the Capital to protest! Unfortunately they forgot to tell them what they were protesting. No they don't care about the children. Unless of coarse they can use them to further their agenda.
  • NidStyles 2011/02/19 08:20:18
    I side with the Children
    NidStyles
    +5
    The students would be better off with new teachers. The ones protesting and speaking of violence do not deserve the respect given to a teacher, or the honor of being one.

My wife is a teacher.
  • Skip 2011/02/19 08:15:52
    I side with the Children
    Skip
    +9
    There isn't anything unfair or unrealistic about asking public employees to pay part of their health care premiums and retirement. They aren't paying for mine why should I pay for theirs?
  • Spent 2011/02/19 07:55:39
    I side with the Teacher's Unions.
    Spent
    +1
    Why do Conservatives harbor so much hate for American children and their educators? Always quick to blindly defend the corporate complex of America as if any of you have a clue, smh.
  • Pam Spent 2011/02/19 08:37:38
    Pam
    +6
    Did you read the question? It's the kids they're concerned about. And what is with you liberals. Always thinking you deserve a free ride at my expense. The party is over. There is NO guarantees in life. Get over yourself. liberals thinking deserve free ride expense party guarantees life People looking for hand outs
  • Spent Pam 2011/02/19 09:42:33
    Spent
    The question was stupid, and so was your reply.
  • Pam Spent 2011/02/19 09:49:13
    Pam
    +4
    typical liberal response.
  • KingdomNow Spent 2011/02/19 09:46:09
    KingdomNow
    +4
    Why do liberals demand free lunch at the expense of the working people?

Why do the so-called educators fail at their jobs yet demand greater rewards every year?

Always blaming the corporations that hold this country together and fuel the engines of prosperity -as if any of you had a clue.
  • Spent KingdomNow 2011/02/19 10:17:35 (edited)
    Spent
    Free lunches are delicious.

Not all teachers fail. I will admit I've had some bad teachers but also many good ones. And I don't think they are protesting for increases in pay, I think it has more to do with not being ripped off by a government who gives breaks to the rich and tries to take money from the working man. They should take from the top and not the bottom.

Commerce and Government, believe it or not, hold this country together.
  • Walt Spent 2011/02/19 13:01:30
    Walt
    +2
    Conservatives want the poor children attending school where they will get to eat their free breakfasts and lunches. How can you think starving poor kids is the right thing to do?
  • Spent Walt 2011/02/19 14:56:51
    Spent
    ...
  • lrb 2011/02/19 07:47:45
    I side with the Children
    lrb
    +6
    They should just fire every teacher and open jobs for applicants willing to work for what the state has to pay. It's fine and dandy to not want to make less money or get less benefits. But if you don't want that, then go work else where. There's lots of people looking for jobs, put some to work who are willing to work.
  • Wolfman 2011/02/19 07:45:41
    Wolfman
    +7
    I side with the taxpayers. The governor will not raise taxes. The avg. teacher salary there is $84k/yr plus pension plus medical. The teachers are only being asked to pay half their pension and med. It is against the law for teachers to strike. The governor wants to bust the union.

If the teachers win, lots of teachers will be fired because the governor won't back down.

Oh, yeah, what about the children?
  • NidStyles Wolfman 2011/02/19 08:21:43
    NidStyles
    +8
    Holy POOPERS $84K!!!!

I was in Afghanistan getting shot at, and not even coming close to that. WTF!?
  • Wolfman NidStyles 2011/02/19 08:29:02
    Wolfman
    +6
    You wern't in a union and you didn't say, "Screw everybody, it's all about me."
  • NidStyles Wolfman 2011/02/19 08:38:07
    NidStyles
    +6
    I guess I should become a heartless bastard then.
  • Wolfman NidStyles 2011/02/19 08:40:32
    Wolfman
    +6
    You probably won't. Thank you for your service.
  • NidStyles Wolfman 2011/02/19 08:42:05
    NidStyles
    +6
    You're right, it'll never happen.

Thank you for your support.
  • marylou5 Wolfman 2011/02/20 06:17:45
    marylou5
    +2
    Thank you for your service! We appreciate your courage.
  • KingdomNow NidStyles 2011/02/19 15:51:09
    KingdomNow
    +2
    Blame your union...oh, wait, soldiers aren't allowed to have a union. WTF indeed.
  • NidStyles KingdomNow 2011/02/19 17:58:11
  • Wilson 2011/02/19 07:39:48 (edited)
    I side with the Children
    Wilson
    +5
    These children are actually the lucky ones. They didn't end up as 'medical waste' in the dumpster behind the Planned Parenthood clinic.
  • Isma'ila (God has heard)! 2011/02/19 07:33:44
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    +1
    Are you serious? The children are suffering because of the lack of education, not the lack of free food.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/02/19 07:30:16
    I side with the Children
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
  • BackRoadz ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/02/19 14:12:37
    BackRoadz
    +1
    Speaking of BAD teachers.....back in my college days one of the math teachers was always being proven wrong by her students. This teacher was trying to teach (interior design) math when she herself could'nt
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... BackRoadz 2011/02/19 14:18:02
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    i proved many of my teachers in high school wrong and they really hated that
  • marylou5 BackRoadz 2011/02/20 06:19:06
    marylou5
    +1
    And you were paying big bucks for that!
    I side with the Children
    +8
    I side with the children ..

When the Teachers in Madison WI are making on the average (just their salary, mind you .. $50K a year) ...

and when Teachers where I live are making on the average (just the salary, mind you .. $33K a year) ...

when it is MORE important for the Madison Teachers to AVOID working ... to drag children (who don't know WHY they are being dragged on buses to a place .. just put there and told to walk around once they get there with ready made signs) to do their "Dirty work" ...

When it is MORE important for Legislators to slip-slide away .. out of state .. out of touch .. and then say they will continue to slip-slide away for as long as it takes to get their way (ie: payback to Union Sponsors of their political campaigns) ..

When it is MORE important to bus in HIRED PAID Union shills to protest ...

When it is MORE IMPORTANT to be FILMED NOT doing their Jobs ...

Then the ONLY ones .. who are MOST affected are the CHILDREN (Who are being DENIED the opportunity to Learn, Grow, Achieve) ..

and I am also sympathetic to the Property Owning Citizens whose TAXES pay for these Unionized .. Don't feel like being in the Classroom or the Legislature slugs' Salaries/benefits at this time.
  • Balladeer-PWCM-POTL 2011/02/19 07:26:20
    I side with the Children
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +7
    I side with the children over these despicable teacher unions,,,Yes the children suffer because the parents haven't the 'stones' to take these teachers ON to say enough is enough
  • Walt Ballade... 2011/02/19 13:07:52
    Walt
    +2
    Which brings to mind the fact that since teachers in Wisconsin have proven they don't care about students, every parent in every district doing every little thing to make their jobs difficult - I'm talking borderline harassment - would make many of these douchebags quit and move on to jobs more suited to them - things like line cook at the Waffle House where people can watch them to make sure they aren't dropping their food on the floor, masseuses in a busy Chinatown "massage parlors" and other things like that.
  • Ballade... Walt 2011/02/19 19:38:17
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +2
    YOU are ON THE BUTTON..Unfortunately...there are rubes that will fall for the Teacher's Con game using the Chidren as Hostage and human shield
  • RageFury 2011/02/19 07:20:23
    I side with the Children
    RageFury
    +8
    My thought is they are anti-children. Why else would the force schools to shutdown knowing their State is toast if it does not cut spending?
    I took a pay cut a year ago for my job and I still worked for the best interest of the business. $10 says most of them make more than I do without their benefits.
    Though to be fair I still needed my pay-check so I could not protest had I wanted to. Point is I did not even voice displeasure, let alone go on strike...

No. These teachers are not in it for the Children. Their actions speak volumes. Because of their actions the kids suffer. So much for the Lefts civic virtue.
  • Dolly 2011/02/19 07:15:42
    I side with the Children
    Dolly
  • DJL 2011/02/19 07:12:49
    I side with the Children
    DJL
    +10
    It is time that teachers stop getting full time pay for working part time hours.
  • TommyB 2011/02/19 05:53:59
    I side with the Children
    TommyB
    +7
    One is never wrong in siding with the children. Now that that's out of the way, a few thoughts about the teachers involved. I say do what Reagan did with PATCO. Fire all of them who don't return to work on their next normal workday. Pass the legislation in question ASAP and pay a special bonus for the added workload (Taken from the salaries of the fired teachers) to the teachers who do return to work. There are unemployed teachers across the country who would gladly make the sacrifice and move to Wisconsin for the honor of teaching "the children." Class sizes would increase temporarily until new teachers were hired. Sure there would be temporary turmoil but the kids will emerge the better for having gotten rid of defective teachers. Somehow, some way, these unionized teachers think they are indispensable. No one is indispensable. Need proof? Check out any graveyard.
  • akgold 2011/02/19 04:59:29
    akgold
    +8
    Neither!!!
    Teachers that don't like their compensation are encouraged to walk away. In Milwaukee the average teacher compensation is over $100,000. Pretty good considering the median FAMILY income is about $52,00 a year. Screw the teachers for their work stoppage.

I also don't have any concerns about the "poor children". I don't care if they are not getting meals through the schools, that is what they have parents for. If a student is self motivated it does not matter the quality(which is not to evident) of the teacher, they can excel. Having familial support is very helpful but kids from broken homes, broken parents, broken teachers and schools have overcome all of that all by themselves. If they don't want to take their education as a serious opportunity, oh well, we need low payed unskilled workers too.
    .
  • marylou5 akgold 2011/02/20 06:23:04
    marylou5
    +1
    You have some very good points about individual responsibility!
    Thank you for a sane voice amidst the insanity.

2014/09/18 19:52:34