Why isn't the media talking about the price of gas going down the way they do when it's going up and they can blame the President?

Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate! 2012/05/05 08:29:42
It's not worth reporting if you can't find a way to make it President Obama's fault!
Aren't the Kardashians doing something more important than the price of gas anyway?
Media Goes Silent as Gas Prices Fall After Obama Crack Down On Oil Speculation

By: Jason EasleyMay 4, 2012

The media and the Republicans were happy to blame President Obama for
the high price of gasoline in March, but they are giving Obama none of
the credit for the drop in gas prices today.

It seems like only yesterday that the GOP and their corporate media
lackeys were telling us that gas prices would ruin Obama, but they have
gone silent as gas prices have fallen since Obama announced his
administration’s crackdown on oil speculation.

As recently as last month,
Mitt Romney was still blaming President Obama for the price of gas, “He
gets full credit or blame for what’s happened to this economy and
what’s happened to gasoline prices under his watch and what’s happened
to our schools and what’s happened to our military forces — all these
things are his responsibility while he’s president.”

Speaker of the House John Boehner went as far as to claim that gas prices could cost Obama the election,
“But if the economy doesn’t get better, I don’t think he’ll win. If
people don’t feel better about government-run health care, I don’t think
he’ll win. And if gas prices are $5 or $6, he certainly isn’t going to
win.”

The media was happy to give the Republicans a free forum and plenty
of airtime to use to blame Obama for gas prices, but on April 17 Obama called for a crackdown on oil speculation,
“We can’t afford a situation where speculators artificially manipulate
markets by buying up oil, creating the perception of a shortage, and
driving prices higher, only to flip the oil for a quick profit. We can’t
afford the situation where some speculators can reap millions (of
dollars in profits), while millions of American families get the short
end of the stick. That’s not the way the market should work.”

Since Obama announced his crackdown on oil speculation, gas prices have fallen twelve cents a gallon. The media response to this news has been total silence. (I guess if Republicans don’t have anything to say then there is nothing for the corporate media to report).

There are a couple of other factors at play that have also driven the
price of gas down. Speculators had been running wild in February and
March. They were betting that war with Iran was on horizon. When Israel
or the international community did not take any military action against
Iran, prices decreased. The other shoe to drop was that savvy U.S.
drivers quickly decreased their consumption.
When prices got too high, people started driving less. People have more
fuel efficient vehicles that need less fuel. The hybrid has replaced
the gas guzzling SUV as America’s car of choice. Better technology has
made it easier for consumers to fight back against price gouging and
speculation.

It is impossible to say whether President Obama’s announcement of a
crackdown on speculators lowered gas prices on its own, or whether it
was the president’s announcement and a combination of other factors, but
if Obama was to blame for price increase, using the same logic, he also
deserves credit for the price decrease.

Republicans try to blame President Obama for everything every day,
but the media happily and unquestioningly acts a megaphone for the
right’s talking points. The media amplified Republican blame of Obama
for gas prices, but they have never given Obama credit since gas prices
have fallen.

The media’s ability to skip the good along with their enthusiasm for
reporting the bad when it comes to this president is one of the reasons
why conservative media bias is so obvious to many Americans. There is a reason why Pew has consistently found that President Obama gets the most negative media coverage of any 2012 candidate.

Time and time again
during the Obama presidency, we have seen the media behave in ways that
debunk the liberal bias myth. Conservatives continue to tout their
liberal bias cover story, all the while keeping the American people in
the dark about who controls their media, and whose bias they really
represent.

Read More: http://www.politicususa.com/obama-gas-prices-fall....

• lou brown 2012/05/27 00:01:42
    Aren't the Kardashians doing something more important than the price of gas a...
    lou brown
    I have to say , this is the most rIdiculois article in the History of the World, When President Bush was President and the gas prices were high, he was attacked personally by every Media outlet , but Obama was barely mentioned. Actually the same people who killed Bush on it, said Obama has no controll, and some reporters said it was a good thing since lesss people will be driving and less people will die. It's 100% fact that In a survey conducted by the American Society of Newspaper Editors in 1997, 71% of reporters stated that they were members of or shared the beliefs of the Democratic Party. Only 13% say their beliefs were best represented by the Republican Party.[18] This leaves 16% undecided or Independent. LOOK IT UP JASON LIBERAL EASLEY BECAUSE YOU ARE 1 OF THEM. LIAR PANTS ON FIRE.
  • Rogue_Loner 2012/05/12 10:52:37
  • rustyshackelford 2012/05/05 17:07:51
  • CAPISCE 2012/05/05 12:07:28
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Your kidding right? This is sarcasm? The media is Left wing Liberal and support Obama like he's the Messiah.
  • Tricia ... CAPISCE 2012/05/05 16:51:09
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +3
    What an original comment. It must have kept you up all night trying to come up with it right, lol?
  • KoAm 2012/05/05 12:02:03
    KoAm
    +2
    Huh?

Even over here in Japan, I saw one thing on CNN and another on ABC going, "Hey, the price of gas fell today!" And Obama was shown in a positive light in the context, of course.

Sorry, but the "media is silent" claim isn't true, just because a liberal site called Politics USA says it is.
  • Tricia ... KoAm 2012/05/05 16:50:02
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +2
    I have no idea what you see in Japan, but on television here the rising gas prices was a daily anxiety filled story that attempted to blame the President even though they had to lie about the actual record of the President in order to make their claims. When the price began to fall there was relative silence. If you saw two reports that is more than I saw. While I couldn't avoid hearing the reports daily as it was rising. The question is if they want to blame the President when it's rising why aren't they singing his praises each day as it falls, lol?
  • CAPISCE Tricia ... 2012/05/11 05:46:47
    CAPISCE
    If your insinuating that the media isn't Obama's bitch your private island must not get good TV reception.
  • Tricia ... CAPISCE 2012/05/11 10:40:41
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +3
    I wonder what media you watch or listen to Jay, but since you can't speak in a civil manner I will have to go on wondering.
  • CAPISCE KoAm 2012/05/06 13:23:43
  • VoteOut 2012/05/05 12:00:52
    It's not worth reporting if you can't find a way to make it President Obama's...
    VoteOut
    First off it is not speculators that have pushed the price gas up in the first place.

And the crack down that was proposed by both the left and the right is nothing more then a scam and would only work to protect big oraninzations and monopolies while hurting small business and individuals trying to get ahead and to protect themselves and have very little to no effect on Futures pricing

Second you can not measure gasoline trends by a two or three week bais the longer term trend has and still is rising gas prices.

You may need a better understanding of how oil pricing works. As not too many in Washington or the Media are forthright with the reality of it.

I can better explain if you are interested
  • Tricia ... VoteOut 2012/05/05 16:36:12
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    Uh! No thanks. If the rest of you explanation is as accurate as denying that speculation is a serious problem in the pricing of gas, I don't think you understand as much as you think you do.
  • VoteOut Tricia ... 2012/05/05 19:46:08
    VoteOut
    ok you explain to me how speculation has pushed up the price of gas? (as I really do not believe you understand futures pricing or you would not make the statement) because to just say that because you have heard it said by others without verifying it is nonsense. And those saying it really don't have an understanding of how futures trading works nor how oil prices are set. Is it possible for future traders (more so speculators because they are not necessarily the same) yes is the more recent rise in fuel prices over the past couple years due to futures traders/speculators NO. This is not magic and is verifiable by anyone that follows those markets.

Are you aware that futures traders/speculators also make money by pushing oil futures down. Like they did in 2007-08 after driving prices up over 140 then down do below 40

The more present situation of rising oil prices is the dollar devaluing, incase you did not know that US Dollar is the world currency for oil so when the value of the dollar goes down you need more of them for the same amount of OIL meaning dollar oil prices are higher (the value of the oil is still the same.) Deficit spending and FED printing have been devaluing the dollar causing the rise in fuel costs.

The dollar value oil price correlations sets the base pr...

The dollar value oil price correlations sets the base pricing for oil future by which traders then work from. Traders are not dumb they are not about to push oil prices up when demand is down and production is up which has been the case lately.

The Obama (and republican plan) to curtail future traders/speculators is to increase margin requirements for futures traders that will not make a difference to the big that do swing the markets as they have the capital to meet the requirements, however small businesses that require allot fuel to run their business buy oil futures to protect themselves incase of fuel spikes that could put them out of business however these small business would not be able to meet the margin requirements so they be hurt by those new rules and it is not they that swing the market prices, they instead pay a premium as insurance to protect their business as well as customers from fuel spikes.

it does not take rocket science to look at the futures markets charts up and down trades and volumes to see when speculators were steering the markets or not. Another factor of future trading is they trade based on the perceived future supply and demand. So that combine the a week dollar certainly points to an administrations policies having effect on fuel prices. Obama intention is to drive fuel prices up he has voice this as well those he surrounded himself with on multiple occasions

this is just a basic chart to see to correlation oil to the dollar, you can build your own charts to really track and see how it works.

Oil vs dollar
  • Tricia ... VoteOut 2012/05/05 20:20:11
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    Yes I do understand that speculators make money pushing the prices up as well as down. That may be good for them but it is not good for the economy.

Yes I am fully aware of the role the exchange rate plays in the price of oil and other import commodities. It's rather strange that when people don't share your views you assume they don't know what they are talking about. If you are paying attention to the dollar as I do, you would know that it has been stabilizing and improving against some currencies this year. So that while long term trends are influenced by the dollar value the correlation does not account for all the changes and specifically the price hikes this year while the dollar was improving had very little to do with the value of the dollar. It is possible that the strengthening dollar is impacting the decline in prices, but there are other factors that may be more specific. You clearly believe that speculation is fine. I do not. We will have to agree to disagree.
  • VoteOut Tricia ... 2012/05/07 20:57:52
    VoteOut
    Apparently you do not follow the dollar as well as its effect on oil pricing or you would not even be debating this point. Can you show where the evidence is that show specultor has been responsible for pushing up the price of oil? They actually did leading up to 2008 because it was actually the banks when they were in trouble they short their own interests and dump that capital into oil futures , drove it up and then drove down, but Bush help a little with it when he open up federal lands at the time for oil drilling.

Here is the Obama dollar. So I guess its ok with you that Obama allowed the Fed to rob from the propserity of America (past present and future earning saving and capital) with the tens of trillions they doled out under his watch.

obama dollar
  • Tricia ... VoteOut 2012/05/16 18:02:23
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    You are so strange. You seem unable to grasp that the economy crashed in 2008 under President Bush and the impact that had on the value of the dollar and the price of gas. You keep posting your silly charts as if they indicate something the President did wrong instead of the aftermath of the economic collapse and the beginning of recovery.
  • VoteOut Tricia ... 2012/05/19 02:19:02
    VoteOut
    Lol
  • All American 2012/05/05 11:10:43
    All American
    +2
    ABC did a puff piece on falling gas prices about a week ago. It had dropped a whole 5 cents and they were making it out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Came across to me as an Obama ad.
  • Blinky All Ame... 2012/05/05 11:45:29
  • All Ame... Blinky 2012/05/05 11:52:48
    All American
    Here, about the same. It has dropped, but still much higher that when he came into office.
  • Blinky All Ame... 2012/05/05 13:35:19
  • All Ame... Blinky 2012/05/05 13:42:30
    All American
    Obama's economic plan is it's Bush's fault.
  • Blinky All Ame... 2012/05/05 15:39:07
  • All Ame... Blinky 2012/05/05 15:42:42
    All American
    I remember them saying that which clearly tell me he and his entire staff were unqualified from the get go.
  • Blinky All Ame... 2012/05/05 15:45:50
  • All Ame... Blinky 2012/05/05 16:33:28
    All American
    Good point.
  • Tricia ... All Ame... 2012/05/27 05:49:34
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    Do you guys ever get tired of repeating the same nonsense over and over again. When the President came into office the economy had just collapsed under Bush. The gas was very low in response to the collapse. If you want it that low again then elect Romney so he can finish collapsing the economy and since he won't know how to handle it we will be in a deep depression and the gas prices won't matter that much, but they will be low again.

The President rescued our economy and the worlds economy and has been turning around the mess Bush left. Blaming Bush for what he and Cheney did to this country is very reasonable, but no one mentions it very much anymore except for the people who just don't have anything original to talk about.
  • All Ame... Tricia ... 2012/05/27 11:32:47
    All American
    I guess there's reality, then there's what you think.
  • Tricia ... All Ame... 2012/05/28 00:28:58
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    What I said is the reality, but feel free to live in whatever alternate reality suits your personal prejudices.
  • All Ame... Tricia ... 2012/05/28 02:47:53
    All American
    You don't have to believe your talking heads. They never deal straight, even with themselves.
  • Tricia ... All Ame... 2012/05/29 07:21:31
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    If you don't have anything reasonable to say go away! I am happy to discuss the questions on my polls in a rational manner, but I am fed up with your nonsense comments and assumptions that have nothing to do with me or my poll question. This is the second warning. I don't like blocking people but I have no patience for this sort of thing.
  • All Ame... Tricia ... 2012/05/29 11:25:01
    All American
    Classic liberal, can't handle differing opinions. Classic response: you're dumb, irrational, nonsense etc. My comments are very relevant and accurate. Yours are standard talking points from liberal talking heads who bank on their minions not kicking the tires or looking under the hood to see that nothing is there. Go ahead and block me if you wish. I view it as a badge of honor. Have a great day. :-)
  • Tricia ... All Ame... 2012/05/29 19:36:44
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    If I couldn't handle differing opinions, I wouldn't visit SH. But I have no intention of wasting my time with pointless circular attempts at argument used by people who don't have adequate understanding to support their views rationally.

Go back and read your comments on either of my polls where you have wasted space and tell yourself that those silly comments were in any way 'relevant and accurate' instead of talking points that you don't understand well enough to defend by anything but prejudiced assumptions and insults.

You are welcome to think that the vast majority of Americans who are being squeezed out of economic and democratic viability by a small number of wealthy people with an inflated sense of entitlement to all the wealth and power of America are all just whining resentful folk, if you like, but hold on to your hat because history shows you can only squeeze people for so long before all hell breaks loose!

Now since our conversations are going nowhere and you are not will to agree to disagree and just leave I will grant you your little 'badge of honor'!

Have a good day!
  • Tricia ... Blinky 2012/05/05 16:38:34
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    Honey if Romney manages to get elected and finish the job of collapsing the economy you might have a chance of seeing the January 2009 prices again. But you would be foolish to wish that to happen.
  • Blinky Tricia ... 2012/05/06 11:29:37
  • lou brown Tricia ... 2012/05/27 00:05:06
    lou brown
    +1
    My bad double thumb down!
  • VoteOut All Ame... 2012/05/05 12:10:31 (edited)
    VoteOut
    +1
    some people have a limited sight range and cant see past a narrow range of perception so let take a look at the trends narrow percption vs wider perception

Narrow perception recent short term oil price trends
    oil futures daily trend

Wider perception overall longer term oil price trends

oil futures longer trend

Note when Obama took office

As an educated guess what could one personaly speculate the oil trend to be based on that little bit of knowledge
  • All Ame... VoteOut 2012/05/05 12:34:13
    All American
    +2
    Myopia is the order of the day on the left.
  • VoteOut All Ame... 2012/05/05 12:45:53
  • Tricia ... VoteOut 2012/05/05 16:42:54
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +2
    Yes dear! President took office when the economy was mid collapse and the gas prices collapsed along with it! Truly one of the saddest bad GOP arguments, because it demands not only that the public be stupid, but also have no memory in order to believe that is significant in terms of Obama being President.

2014/10/25 11:19:37