Why is it ok when a black person calls another black person a n*****?

This is a double standard and whites will be never be able to use the N word
It is ok for a black person to use the N word
When we (white people) use the N word it is taken as a disgrace. Yet when a black person calls another black person the N word it is ok? I have seen it many times. My husband employees blacks and they call each other the N word all the time. They may be joking, greeting one another, etc., but they still use the N word. What's up with that?

• Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2008/11/14 21:07:46 (edited)
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +4
    It's disrespectful all the time by everyone. If they want to get respect they need to strive for respect of themselves and not allow it or they are just teaching others how they want to be treated.
    Having been to Africa I never once saw the disrepect like the blacks do to each other here in America. They should be ashamed of themselves.

they understand,but really I believe labels on people
  • wildemanne 2013/04/14 15:15:17
    wildemanne
    you can understand them when two or more are together??? i thought you had to have one of those foreign language machines, to separate all the slang from English and translate?????
  • Tom Degan 2013/04/14 08:27:16
    Tom Degan
    A MESSAGE TO MY FELLOW WHITE PEOPLE:

http://tomdegan.blogspot.com/...

Tom Degan Tom Degan
  • red cat 2009/07/11 12:35:07
    red cat
    +1
    I dont think black ppl take it offensice when they use the N word to eachother because they know they dont mean anything by it.
  • Killjoys Queen 2009/07/11 04:29:59
    Killjoys Queen
    It is not okay for anyone to use the N word, this N word is very disrespectful.
    My personal guess that the black people feel it's okay to call each other of the same skin colour n*****s, is that they probably don't feel offended as much as when they were being called n*****s by white people.
    They probably felt that the N word is a much more offensive and racist term when being used by white people.
    But this just doesn't make any sense...I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but this is just my personal guess.
  • *~*P1EL C@N3L@*~* 2009/07/10 14:27:32
    *~*P1EL C@N3L@*~*
    idk, i think they dnt use it in a discriminatory way as whites use it someitmes. like instead of actually sayin the whole word they will put an a at the end of it. but i see where u r comin from. its jus how things r.
  • Quintessential Brother The ... 2009/07/09 21:46:53
    Quintessential Brother The Conservative Liberal
    +2
    It's not our fault we didn't make up the name, but truth be told it doesn't bother me at all. So get over it, we got over slavery.

(Joke) *grin*
  • Lotus F... Quintes... 2009/07/10 02:33:29
    Lotus Flower
    +3
    Blacks have been using the term since slavery when speaking to each other. And we use it in may forms just as the MF word is used. Whites complaining we use the word are just getting a glimpse into black culture and hate they can not use the word without being called a racist---to which the word does fit. We don't and have use the word with "er" as the ending.
  • Rall 2009/07/09 20:49:49
    Rall
    It is not ok for any one to say the N word, Black or white.
    Bad Word !!!!
  • T Champ 2009/07/09 20:06:22
    T Champ
    +1
    Its a disgusting and disrespectful word which shouldnt be used, however many african americans took it as a means of sarcasm in an attempt to make light of something bad.....its comparitive to girls calling each other B#tch playfully. Yet if a man were to call them that, it would be wrong...the same with the "n"" word for caucasians. I think its just bad taste to use it though even if you are black.
  • manda~supermommy!!! 2009/07/09 19:54:23
    manda~supermommy!!!
    +2
    I don't say it. But let's be clear, if a white person says it, there is no doubt about the motive behind it. If a black person says it, it becomes a little more complicated. Many say it and mean no harm, just a part of their slang- much like the white teens around here calling one another "dude." Some others say it in a derogatory manner- I don't like the word either way, personally.
  • Astro-Boy PHAET 2009/07/09 19:37:06
    Astro-Boy PHAET
    +2
    I don't use it, I don't like it. If they want to use it, it's their choice but I'll make this choice that I don't. Nuff Said.
  • The Gov-Here to help BN362 2009/07/09 19:32:54
    The Gov-Here to help BN362
    +3
    Well years ago back in the slave days... That is what everyone including blacks called blacks it was normal and blacks didn't really understand since they barely understood english, what with the whites kidnapping them from Africa and all they had to learn english was by listening to massa ( not always the english scholar as I am sure you can imagine) and they were absolutely not taught to read or write as a matter of fact they could be lynched if it was found that they did so, but this is where Ebonics comes into play) Hate Ebonics? Blame your friendly neighborhood WHITE slave owner...

Now it is a racial slur... Well, actually it always has been but I never use that term, have no desire to. If blacks want to call eachother that I don't care I have no personal jealousy that they can call themselves that and I can't... Wouldn't want to..

Mostly now when it is used from blacks to blacks it is used as a term of endearment or it is used in a derogatory fashion but I know plenty of black people who don't say it and find it to be just as oppressive and rude as if a white person said it to them... These are mostly my older black friends..
  • Quintes... The Gov... 2009/07/09 21:50:24
    +2
    Well put and here is the answer to the question. HMMMMM... your the best!

answer hmmmmm
  • The Gov... Quintes... 2009/07/10 16:58:27
    The Gov-Here to help BN362
    +1
    Thank you Quintessential... quintessential ... I am humbled by your praise.
  • love-Star2010 2009/07/09 19:21:51
    love-Star2010
    +1
    Its never ok to use that word because its rude
  • bronski 2008/11/20 21:07:56 (edited)
    bronski
    +1
    I personally refrain from such language, it's a lack of respect for eachother and our country has really become a Nation of slander, bigotry and hate. I'm ashamed.......:(
  • SnaekySnap 2008/11/16 23:29:09
    SnaekySnap
    +1
    It's not okay. It's ignorant and disrespectful. Some say it's a term of endearment among Blacks but, if a word is bad for one person to call you then it should be bad for everyone to call you that word.
  • seattleman 2008/11/15 20:10:05
    seattleman
    I forget the name of the comic, but he was good- he was a white man in a Harlem club, and this guy nailed it when he talked about this very subject. First off, blacks using the word is a way of mocking its meaning previous, and defusing its power. Then when he gets to the point in his act where his friends ask him why whites aren't allowed to use the word, he replies...."Well, ya see, (long pause, uncomfortable look on face) in the past.....". After the audience stopped laughing, he continued with the obvious "in the past white people didn't always use this word in a positive way". Funny, but in good comedy you can find a lot of truth. Personally, I don't think that word should be used anymore at all, but I don't have a problem with black people that want to use it amongst friends.
  • I want to be Free! 2008/11/15 18:55:36
    I want to be Free!
    +1
    Excellent question!!! I have always wondered this! To me a n****** isn't just a black person. TO me you have black, white, red, yellow, etc people in our world. You have n******is someone who is just nasty, sorry, etc. You don't have to be black to be one.
  • it's me I want ... 2008/11/24 04:12:12
    it's me
    +1
    I really like your comment because it gives me hope that we are moving in the right direction and one of these days...all people will be equal here on earth, because you know in God's eyes we ARE all equal...

unfortunately, down through history, the word has been used by white people as form of hate, dicrimination, judgement and harm to black people. white people will be philosophically trying to mend fences, make right and work to improve the world for the black community. and some people will never be anything but bigots, rednecks and white trash. bad things still happen to black people just because of the color of their skin and no other reason. God bless and help them.

let black people have the word to use any way they want, if they want. but, i wish the word would die out altogether.
  • Quintes... I want ... 2009/07/09 21:56:06
  • Lotus F... I want ... 2009/07/10 02:34:13
    Lotus Flower
    That is a justification to use the word.
  • I want ... Lotus F... 2009/07/10 02:56:58
    I want to be Free!
    You can say that if you want to, but I don't use the word. I am not trying to justify anything. People say hurtful things all the time. It isn't just this word. It is alot of words. No matter what my or your opinion is, someone is not gonna like it and make a remark like u just did. So you and whoever can believe it is a justification if you want to.
  • CarDriver 2008/11/15 18:28:05
    CarDriver
    The N word... I looked it up once. It said black. ?
    My guess is that it is not the word, but how you use it.
  • Seth 2008/11/15 13:27:06
    Seth
    I dont think a ton of white people would even know?
    You should ask a black person.
  • rearvumirr 2008/11/15 12:12:39
    rearvumirr
    +1
    It's a mystery to me
  • safari 2008/11/15 11:09:20
    safari
    +1
    I have also heard that usage. I know a lot of black people and I think that it depends on the crowd they hang with. Not all black people use the phrase. When I was a very little girl, my grandmother was sitting on our back porch with her friend a black lady shelling beans. This I will never forget, and her friend told a story of a black man she knew who was out all night drinking and went home to beat his wife. She called him the N word. My grandmother stopped and looked at her with an expression that was one of utter shock. We never used that word even though we were in the deep south and a lot of people did. I was brought up to respect all people for who they were not what color they were. Anyway, my grandmother actually scolded her black friend for using the word! And she replied it was OK because in this case, it was an accurate description of the man. Based on this, I think those who use it do so semi jokingly like women friends who call each other bitch or some other name. But just like the word bitch, it might also be used as a real cut down too depending on the context.

I wouldn't call a black person that regardless unless they were an extremely close friend who was in the habit of using the word in a familiar sense that made it at times desirable.

Hmm I can't imagine that I would anyway though.
  • Self - Deactivation. 2008/11/15 08:38:54
    Self - Deactivation.
    +1
    disrespect is disrespect regardless of whose lips the words fall from
  • ed 2008/11/15 06:51:50
    ed
    +1
    It's a matter of respect. The speaker is showing no respect for the "friend" and the victim is showing no respect for himself or herself.

If you want respect from others in society, you need to show that you bestow and also expect respect. How you conduct yourself with your friends affects the way you behave in the greater society. The respect you have for yourself will show in your body language. That will determine how general society will view you and treat you.

If you have a smart-alec, strutting, disrespectful attitude, you can expect that others will look at you with disrespect.
  • wolf 2008/11/15 05:41:49 (edited)
  • MsSuggestYouGetOverIt 2008/11/15 01:58:07
    MsSuggestYouGetOverIt
    It's not OK for either. I even hear younger people of various ethic groups referring to there "friends" as a "N" so I've come to realize that it's not just a Black thing. Younger people (black, white, hispanic) are using it as a term of endearment.
  • RockerChick 2008/11/14 23:58:08
    RockerChick
    +1
    Because words are worth not by what its being said...but from whom its being said.
  • pocket squirrel 2008/11/14 23:41:09
    pocket squirrel
    Who says it's ok? Actually, it is pretty obvious. Black people were not lynched by other blacks. They were lynched by whites. Do all black people use the word?
  • UGAGirl... pocket ... 2008/11/14 23:44:54
    UGAGirl  "If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it"
    Keep on reading below and I think you will find the answers to your questions.
  • TWISTER61 2008/11/14 23:22:44
    TWISTER61
    +3
    BLACKS ARE THE BIGGEST RACIST,S OUT THERE! ASK MICHELLE OBAMA!
  • Sister ... TWISTER61 2013/04/14 16:36:00
  • scarletsiren 2008/11/14 23:19:36
    scarletsiren
    +2
    Because it is obviously not a racist remark.
  • Bewildered~Proud Republican 2008/11/14 22:28:16
    Bewildered~Proud Republican
    I feel it should never be used whether in joking or not.
  • Stormcrew 2008/11/14 22:27:49 (edited)
    Stormcrew
    +2
    Does it really matter? ..........its not like I have any plans on calling anybody that anyways. Besides.........it doesn't stop anybody I hear saying it anyway. White or black.....it just whether they do it out loud or to anybodies face. I guess on the outside or by principle it is a double standard.......but all in all I really don't care.

2014/10/25 03:33:52