Why does the Dept.of Homeland Security need 2,700 Light-Armored Tanks?

Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2013/03/05 00:30:01
DHS is getting ready for...
I'm a clueless liberal and nothing the government does worries me!
Other Thoughts!
Obama DHS Purchases 2,700 Light-Armored Tanks to Go With Their 1.6 Billion Bullet Stockpile

This is getting a little creepy.
According to one estimate, since last year the Department of Homeland Security has stockpiled more than 1.6 billion bullets, mainly .40 caliber and 9mm.

DHS also purchased 2,700 Mine Resistant Armor Protected Vehicles (MRAP).
homeland security mrap

Modern Survival Blog reported:

The Department of Homeland Security (through the U.S. Army Forces Command) recently retrofitted 2,717 of these ‘Mine Resistant Protected’ vehicles for service on the streets of the United States.

Although I’ve seen and read several online blurbs about this vehicle of late, I decided to dig slightly deeper and discover more about the vehicle itself.

The new DHS sanctioned ‘Street Sweeper’ (my own slang due to the gun ports) is built by Navistar Defense (NavistarDefense.com), a division within the Navistar organization. Under the Navistar umbrella are several other companies including International Trucks, IC Bus (they make school buses), Monaco RV (recreational vehicles), WorkHorse (they make chassis), MaxxForce (diesel engines), and Navistar Financial (the money arm of the company).

DHS even released a video on their newly purchased MRAPs.
Via Pat Dollard:

Watch the video and read the rest of the article:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/03/obama-dhs-purchases-2...

s

Read More: http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/03/obama-dhs-...

• Doc. J 2013/03/05 00:47:49
    Other Thoughts!
    Doc. J
    +10
    I will allow you to indulge in your anti-government paranoia.

But for the love of pete, will you STOP calling MRAPs "Tanks".

They are not tanks.
    It's that f*ckin simple and is not subject to spin or interpretation.

THIS...is a tank.
    M1 Abrams

You will note the tracks (there are NO wheeled tanks), and the very noticable main gun system.

THIS is an MRAP.
    MRAP

Note the distinctive LACK of either tracks, or a main gun of any sort.
    It is a military grade armored car.
    It is NOT a weapon system.
    It is nothing more than armored transport that is designed to resist mines and IEDs.
    Did you have plans to plant mines or bombs?
    Then why do you care if DHS is able to resist BEING blown up??

"According to one estimate".......
    Did you mean the estimate by some paranoid on the web who took ALL the other "estimates" by armchair paranoids and added them all together???

God, you people need lives...

• Deb 2013/04/04 20:32:04
    DHS is getting ready for...
    Deb
    Why do people just automatically Believe the lies of bloggers and rag mags??? The March 2013 claim that the Department of Homeland Security had "purchased 2,700 tanks" for the use in the U.S. was based on a year old (i.e., March 2012) notice posted on the DHS web site announcing that a contractor had been engaged to install a new chassis on a number of Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) wehiicles (not "tanks") that were being returned from deployment in Iraq and Afghanistan. Although similar vehicles have been used by DHS )and local police forces) for functions such as carrying Rapid Response Teams to disaster sites, the DHS did not "purchase" the MRAP vehicles referenced in that announcement, and the cahssis work was contracted for by the Marine Corps Systems Command.......
  • Marek 2013/03/18 13:13:39
    DHS is getting ready for...
    Marek
    +3
    civil war which will be triggered by the regime all they need is some pretext like rioting.
  • ACE 2013/03/15 03:03:05
    DHS is getting ready for...
    ACE
    +4
    to attack us
  • CommieHunter - AFCL- PWCM 2013/03/11 02:51:12
    DHS is getting ready for...
    CommieHunter - AFCL- PWCM
    +3
    DHS is getting ready for the food riots when the "dollar" becomes worthless
  • Stevern... CommieH... 2013/03/11 03:19:02
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    I see these armored personnel carriers being used for DHS gun collection raids.And by FEMA agents raiding doomday prepper's food stockpiles.
  • CommieH... Stevern... 2013/03/11 04:45:42
    CommieHunter - AFCL- PWCM
    +3
    Yep, that's a good possibility
    DHS is getting ready for...
    +1
    The eventual round up of all haters in this country starting with the groups like the KKK and Aryan Nation as well as the other hate groups which will include many like the Westboro Baptist's and Focus on the Family and others that preach against the equality of all citizens.
  • themadhare ~IJM 2013/03/10 18:34:51
    Other Thoughts!
    themadhare ~IJM
    +1
    For reasons of domestic terrorism
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2013/03/08 17:46:39
    Other Thoughts!
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +3
    I think we must think of this in the context of Rand Pau'ls recent fillibuster.......the
    government attacking Americans on American soil !!!!! It sure would be
    more effective for crowd control than the hoses used in the 60s.
  • Transquesta 2013/03/07 20:56:51 (edited)
    Other Thoughts!
    Transquesta
    +2
    Because the bones of the citizens don't make the same crunch under the wheels of a hummer.

FWIW, The insulting troll, Doc J., just happens to be right. These vehicles aren't tanks. You can even buy civilian equivalents of these vehicles out of government surplus. (I'd like to have an MRAP myself. :-))
  • Kurt 2013/03/07 20:54:42
    DHS is getting ready for...
    Kurt
    +5
    To kill the law abiding citizens that disagree with the jackass obama and his staff.
  • RoyJLores 2013/03/06 23:56:01
    DHS is getting ready for...
    RoyJLores
    +3
    For the same reason they bought tons of hollow point ammo for their final solution o wiping out all those that cherish liberty in the U.S and the whole planet,,,
  • shadow76 2013/03/06 18:39:41
    DHS is getting ready for...
    shadow76
    +4
    envoking martial law!
  • Big Daddy 2013/03/06 12:20:26
    DHS is getting ready for...
    Big Daddy
    +2
    So they can get away when we take our Country back.
  • princess 2013/03/06 12:16:03
    DHS is getting ready for...
    princess
    +3
    To be used against us.
  • Balladeer-PWCM-POTL 2013/03/06 03:58:55 (edited)
    Other Thoughts!
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +6
    we should thank the DHS for having those...for rebels to take when the time comes

Since the Top Comment has me blocked someone tell this spamhead...according to his pathetic standards THESE are NOT Tanks????

The Centauro is a wheeled tank destroyer designed for light to medium territorial defense and tactical reconnaissance.

B1_Centauro

The Pandur II 8x8 is an improved modular all-wheel-drive version of the Pandur 6x6 APC wheeled armoured vehicle.

Pandur II
  • BIGNEVERMO Ballade... 2013/03/06 18:10:11
    BIGNEVERMO
    +3
    From the definitions... neither are tanks...the top one is a tank destroyer...and the bottom...Pandur is a personnel carrier...I dont believe either is classified as a tank.
    DEFINITION: MILITARY tANK
    "tank
    Heavily armed and armoured combat vehicle that moves on two continuous metal chains called tracks. It is usually equipped with a cannon mounted in a revolving turret as well as lighter automatic weapons. The British developed tanks during World War I to fill the need for an armoured assault vehicle that could cross the muddy, uneven terrain of the trench battle zone. They first saw combat at the Battle of the Somme (1916). In World War II, Germany's tank force was initially the most effective in Europe because it was organized into fast-moving massed formations with great striking power. After World War II, tanks became larger and more heavily armed. Most modern main battle tanks weigh more than 50 tons yet are capable of road speeds of 30–40 mph (50–70 kph). The standard main armament is a 120-mm gun, which fires armour-piercing projectiles; laser range-finders and infrared imaging devices aid in sighting.

For more information on tank, visit Britannica.com. Britannica Concise Encyclopedia. Copyright © 1994-2008 Encyclopædia Britannica, "

so it seems that the DocJ is correct.
  • Ballade... BIGNEVERMO 2013/03/06 19:55:51
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +4
    I still wouldn't want to meet either of those in the street...but hey....let's play semantics while our government plans to subjugate it's people....I am certain folks like DocJ were debating how many angels could dance on the head of a pin while in Dachau, Auschwitz or the Gulog Archipelago
  • BIGNEVERMO Ballade... 2013/03/06 20:12:35
    BIGNEVERMO
    +1
    i AM SURE HE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN A BYSTANDER!
    He seems like a doer to me! He can walk the walk!
    but those two non tanks will not be on our streets...they are European...there is no subjugation going on...just people that dont know any better whipping up a frenzy over nothing...funny how this one President has everyone paranoid... I m going to get you sucka
  • Ballade... BIGNEVERMO 2013/03/06 20:25:34 (edited)
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +4
    a clintonian hairsplit....you that desperate to win the conversation...fine what about these rather imposing looking armored whatevers ready to roll down the streets of Main Street USA....you don't seem to want to talk about them...never mind I just realized I am talking to someone from FloriDUH...You think Casey Anthony should be Mother-of-the-year..and Zimmerman should be lynched
  • BIGNEVERMO Ballade... 2013/03/06 20:47:53
    BIGNEVERMO
    +1
    I am not desperate to "win" anything...but the inference that these vehicles will come to get ordinary citizens is utterly paranoid! There are too many checks and balances instilled in the Constitution...look at the Conservative majority in the SCOTUS...also the Repubs in Congress...
    President Obama isnt going to start sweeping streets for sh&ts and grins...only in a National emergency would anyone even think about putting the military on the streets...
    there is some deep paranoia out there..these MARP's are being brought in from Afghanistan for a chassis refit. Not really nefarious...DHS did not "buy" these new MARP's. Inaccurate info is part of the reason for the paranoia!
  • Ballade... BIGNEVERMO 2013/03/06 21:13:24
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +4
    when it comes to The Constitution....obama has already shredded that and flushed it down the toilet...2700 units need a chassis refit and they have to be shipped home to do it???....riiiggghhht...and The Graf Spee wasn't a pocket battle ship it was a freighter with all the available accessories...as for the " paranoia".....you must live in Disney World.....so since you have lost your sign...I will happily replace it for you...

Here's Your Sign...

I m Stupid Sign
  • BIGNEVERMO Ballade... 2013/03/06 22:52:58 (edited)
    BIGNEVERMO
    +1
    What the holy Hell does Das Graf Spee have to do with anything? That was a "Heavy Cruiser" that when fully battle ready weighed a lot more than it was supposed to?

Those units coming back can be used for a lot of things...your paranoia shows because straight away you think they will be used against civilians in some imagined revolution !! THATS PARANOIA!!
    I know some here really want that to happen. People even say they are ready to take on the US military. THATS PARANOIA!!

And you are such a big man for insulting me over the internet...Ya wouldn't do it to my face! :)
    emoticon
  • Ballade... BIGNEVERMO 2013/03/07 00:05:22
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +2
    ahhhh that's where you are wrong sparky...I would call you stupid right to your face..one reason I have the track record of your divine obama on my side...and second I am 6'2" a 4XL framed body and 325 lbs
  • BIGNEVERMO Ballade... 2013/03/07 00:53:14 (edited)
  • Ballade... BIGNEVERMO 2013/03/07 01:03:55
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +2
    suuuurrre....well come to fremont ohio....that's north FloriDUH dweller.....when you get lost let me know I will try to keep the directions simple for your obama sozzeled mind
  • BIGNEVERMO Ballade... 2013/03/07 01:12:28 (edited)
    BIGNEVERMO
    +1
    yeah I thought so! yeah I passed thru there when I worked in Put-In-Bay a few years ago...then it would be frishes big boy
  • Israel BIGNEVERMO 2013/03/24 14:12:49
  • BIGNEVERMO Israel 2013/03/24 15:42:17
  • Israel BIGNEVERMO 2013/03/24 15:50:22
  • Israel BIGNEVERMO 2013/03/24 14:06:22
  • BIGNEVERMO Israel 2013/03/24 15:43:23
    BIGNEVERMO
    yeah you are a woman...so you would act like a big man to me??/ FECK OFF YA JACKWAGON!
  • Israel BIGNEVERMO 2013/03/24 16:37:41
  • Israel Ballade... 2013/03/24 14:04:38
  • BIGNEVERMO Israel 2013/03/24 15:45:09
    BIGNEVERMO
    I can put two and two together...i just dont come with a million when I do...just a bunch of paranoid freaks who think the Obama is coming for them... I would think its funny...but really it is sad!
  • Israel BIGNEVERMO 2013/03/24 16:33:13
  • BIGNEVERMO Israel 2013/03/24 20:23:43
    BIGNEVERMO
    Well i do think that it is paranoia to the extreme to think the Gov. will come and take people to FEMA camps and that they will use these vehicles to do it...that IS paranoia...tghose are vehicles that they use to serve warrants...they are NOT tanks...and some really do want the Government to try and do that...thinking that Obama is coming to get them...all of what is happening can be explained...and when people think these cant be explained away,,,they automatically think it is Obama coming to get them...thats paranoia...Obama has not done and cant become a Dictator...we have the checks and balances of the SCOTUS. and Congress for goodness sakes! Of course i am told that wont matter and some even think that the Newtown Massacre was a setup to take away gun rights...THAT IS PARANOIA... I do see that calling people paranoid might not be nice...but it is an accurate description. It is called a "bunker mentality" and many here have it.
  • Israel BIGNEVERMO 2013/03/24 22:41:56
  • Ballade... Israel 2013/03/24 16:56:09 (edited)
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +2
    what do you expect from an obama drone....look his kind are known throughout history....he was in the crowd in Nuremberg with the arm upraised praising Hitler as a god..Biggie was there when Lenin announced the 'worker's paradise' in Moscow..he was in Rome with tears in his eyes when Mussolini came to power....he was there in paris when Napoleon crowned himself emperor...Biggie was there in ancient rome begging Pompey to be dictator....dictators have always needed useful idiots like Biggie without them they would all be 'community organizers"
  • Israel Ballade... 2013/03/24 19:09:06

2014/10/20 07:00:31