Why does the Christian god require sacrifice? Why does it please him?

ubiquitous_tergiversation 2008/12/16 08:39:12
Shut up, you'll make Him angry!
The concept of sacrifice was borrowed from earlier pagan religions.
If God says sacrifice is good, then it's good.  We have no right to judge His ways.
In the old testament god required burnt sacrifices of animals, which created a "pleasing aroma" for him.

Then, according to Christian mythos, Jesus came along and became the ULTIMATE sacrifice, pleasing god so much that nobody has to sacrifice animals anymore.

My question is why- WHY does the god of the bible like sacrifice so much? Isn't Jesus sacrifice only "saving" people from the wrath of a god who loves the smell of sacrificed flesh?

And HOW, exactly, does a human sacrifice save anyone from anything? If you step outside the whole story and look at it from the perspective of someone who is unfamiliar with the religious stories, you have to admit it seems pretty sick and twisted.

• david 2008/12/17 03:32:34
    Other (please comment)
    david
    +10
    sacrifice was in the terms of giving to god....in the old testiment the farmer gave sacrifice of wheat or harvest to him in thanks of his blessings....and so did the cattle herder so on and so forth.....but this is something they chose to do not a requirement. christ being the ultimate sacrifice.....was a choice to do so for the sins of us there wasent any rules to do or dont we are just loved enough that through his death which was for the love of his people that god allowed him to choose to die for use and carry the pain of our sins through him. christ choice not gods. we sacrificed jesus for ourself not for god!!!!

• beautifulheaven77 2014/07/02 16:58:07
    Other (please comment)
    beautifulheaven77
    well I cant say that I have a finitive answer to your question, but I will try. As I am reading the bible, in leviticus, it discusses the reasons behind the burnt offerings, And there are many reason, but first lets discuss leviticus 1:3, where God tell moses that it is voluntary. He said, and i quote, "If his offering be a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish: he shall offer it of his own voluntary will at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the Lord." Therefore, God never said they had to, again he gave them a choice. Furthermore, I do not believe there is anywhere in the bible that says they would be punished if they did not do this( however this will require further research).

Now as for why they sacrificed animals, the bible is clear, if you read the book of leviticus it will tell you, hence, it was not for God's pleasure. Your going off of the new international version which does not always have an accurate translation. For instance, in the King James Version it says, in Genesis 8:20-21,
    20 " And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD, and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.
    21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse ...

21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of the man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

As you can see, God never was pleased by the smell, he just smelled a sweet aroma. Just because it was sweet does not mean he was pleased by it, now your assuming what he felt. Does that mean anytime you smell something sweet, your pleased with it? who knows maybe you are, just never make assumptions because it will lead you admist. Therefore, if your going to read the bible, the best one to read is the KJV because it has been around longer. Also, it is the most likely one, that is closet to the original translation. However, I am in no way saying that the KJV does not have it's mis-translations, but it is a lot more closer to the original words.

Lets move on, to your second question, JESUS. Jesus did not die to just to be a scarifice, he came so that all would have a chance to know him, who is God manifested in the flesh. See what most people dont realize is Jesus is GOD manifested in flesh. John 1:1,14,
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

14 "And the word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

now when Jesus was crucified, rose again, then ascended into heaven, the Holy Ghost was then poured out. Hence, this is part of the reason why he was crucified. He was not just some sacifice, but the ultimate sacrifice for all MANKINDS sins. If you have ever thought about it. What would be the price of all your sin if JESUS did not die, rise and ascend. If you cannot imagine, then you should try. Then you will see that it was not some cruel sacrifice, but a loving one. If your williing to die for the people you love, so you can save them, then why can you not see Jesus sacrifice as the same thing?

*side note: If someone ask the question, why would a loving God do such a thing, to destroy the earth, or allow bad things to happen, the answer I would give is, what definition are you using? the worlds idea of love, or the biblical definition? In 1 Corinthians 13. God is love, and he is a rigtheous God, and if love is pure, kind, unselfish etc. then why would God allow people to keep sinning against themselves? hurting their spirits, and not intervene. Sometimes, when you love something or someone, you do what you know is best for them, not what they think is best for them. Because more times then not, people ususally find out what was not good for them, after the already messed up. So since God is all omnipotent, and omniscent he knows what is best, even if it hurts, and the answer is not something your willing to accept.

Therefore, I will end here because this is getting too long. However, this is what I can give you for now. What I do want to say, is dont ever stop searching and seeking. ask the hard questions, but pray that God will reveal the answer because there is one. Dont accept the notion that there is no God, but fight everyday to prove to yourself that he real. Everyone has to walk their own path to fiinding God. If your patience he WILL reveal himself. Just think of this way, there is no harm in believing in God, so why not believe in him. Your can't feel gravity, can't smell it, can't taste it, nor see it ( even though people are not floating into space) still cant see it. So if you can believe in an invisible force such as gravity, why not believe in God

p.s. for those who comment and say that you can test gravity, yes, but God is not a God that he should be tested, but experienced, so give it a try. If not, God bless, if so, may God bless you on your Journey!
  • Eddie B. 2013/12/23 03:27:34
    If God says sacrifice is good, then it's good. We have no right to judge His...
    Eddie B.
    And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. Hebrews 9:22
  • javier.a.aristizabal.1 2012/11/13 01:35:25
    Other (please comment)
    javier.a.aristizabal.1
    Sacrifice was needed because the nation of Israel was sinning, and God says in Hebrew 9:22,"Without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness [of sins]," but God did not really want the animal sacrifices, all he wanted was the Israelites obedience. This is shown in Isaiah 1:11 - 19, "The Lord says, “Why do you continue giving me all these sacrifices? I have had enough of your sacrifices of rams and the fat from well-fed animals. I don’t want the blood of those bulls, sheep, and goats. 12 When you people come to meet with me, you trample everything in my yard. Who told you to do this?

13 “Don’t keep bringing me those worthless sacrifices. I hate the incense you give me. I cannot stand your festivals for the New Moon, the Sabbath, and other special meeting days. I hate the evil you do during those holy times together. 14 I hate your monthly meetings and councils. They have become like heavy weights to me, and I am tired of carrying them.

15 “When you raise your arms to pray to me, I will refuse to look at you. You will say more and more prayers, but I will refuse to listen because your hands are covered with blood.

16 “Wash yourselves and make yourselves clean. Stop doing the evil things I see you do. Stop doing wrong. 17 Learn to do good. Treat people fairly. Punish tho...

16 “Wash yourselves and make yourselves clean. Stop doing the evil things I see you do. Stop doing wrong. 17 Learn to do good. Treat people fairly. Punish those who hurt others. Speak up for the widows and orphans. Argue their cases for them in court.

18 “I, the Lord, am the one speaking to you. Come, let’s discuss this. Even if your sins are as dark as red dye, that stain can be removed and you will be as pure as wool that is as white as snow.

19 “If you listen to what I say, you will get the good things from this land. 20 But if you refuse to listen and rebel against me, your enemies will destroy you.”

The Lord himself said this.

All He wanted was their obedience; but they would not give it to Him. And that is where Jesus Christ comes in. He was the eternal sacrifice and through him we no longer need to make animal sacrifices. So in conclusion, God required animal sacrifice so that the people of Israel could be sinless, until they sinned again that is. And God took no pleasure in those sacrifices, all he wanted was their obedience to His Law.
  • lowlyGiant 2012/10/08 21:59:41
    Other (please comment)
    lowlyGiant
    God requirED (stressed, it's PAST TENSE) sacrifices to show His mercy for their transgressions against Him. However, man's sin was so much, there weren't enough lambs to sacrifice for the whole world, so God sent His son, Jesus Christ, to live a humble, sin-free life (thereby by-passing the necessary separation from God, which results in death), then be killed ANYWAY!! That through belief in Him, we are saved! We don't have to live a performance-based life anymore because of CHRIST! He was the one that fulfilled the Law (the curses of the law), such that we don't have to be.
  • lowlyGiant lowlyGiant 2012/10/08 22:01:51
    lowlyGiant
    +2
    The key is that the sacrifices were to show God's MERCY. It's His MERCY that everything is based on; this is the gospel of GRACE :)
  • sundae 2012/03/23 09:04:47
    sundae
    Hi Ubiquit,

Hope I can help.
    Allow me to share to you some Bible verses to answer your questions.

The Blood of Christ
    Hebrews 9:11-14

11 But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that are now already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not made with human hands, that is to say, is not a part of this creation. 12 He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining[b] eternal redemption. 13 The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean. 14 How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!

Hebrews 9:22

22 In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

About the death of Jesus Christ, you are correct by saying it is a violent death. You know why? Because of sin. Sin must be punished.

And all of us are sinners. I hope you agree. No one is righteous no one except Christ.

All of our sins were paid by...

Hi Ubiquit,

Hope I can help.

The Blood of Christ
    Hebrews 9:11-14

Hebrews 9:22

All of our sins were paid by Christ on the cross of Calvary. We should be the one to be punished because of sins. But because God so love us, He gave His one and only Son to bear the punishment because of our sins.

Now, what we need to do is to receive this gift of God. We must receive Jesus Christ and make Him our Lord and Savior.

Be Patience to read the following verses.

John3:16
    16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John14:6
    6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

I am your new friend from Manila, Philippines

God loves you very much.

Hope to hear from you.
  • Brandon 2010/09/23 22:35:45
    Brandon
    My opinion, God didn't want to change their own personal traditions of worship, and was willing to allow them to worship him in their own way, but wanted to teach them to do it correctly. He basically said, If your going to make a sacrafice to show me your appreciation, then do it right. If you half ass it, it would be disrespectful.
  • PBER 2010/06/29 10:04:25 (edited)
    PBER
    +1
    That's my view point but remember the bible was written by 40 different guys over a period of about 1,500 years! so i just hope maybe something was misunderstood. im in love with animals and i dont see how our Loving Jehovah could have been pleased by seeing innocent lambs and calves throat slit ....
  • ubiquit... PBER 2010/06/29 17:50:13 (edited)
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    Easy answer- he doesn't exist. Priests probably required burnt animal sacrifice because it was a barbecue for them. They took everyone's best animals, slaughtered them and then burnt them in the back rooms of the temple where only the priests were allowed to go. They also accepted sacrifices of the best crops and grains, and did NOT burn these, lol.
  • Dan ubiquit... 2010/12/11 10:29:37
    Dan
    +1
    That's the easy answer, he doesn't exist. The hard answer, is why do we exit. Dr. Carl Sagan said it's easier to believe the universe existed for infinity than a God that existed for infinity created it. Problem is. The universe, as Carl perceives it, doesn't have the power to create itself; God does.
  • Jackson 2009/12/02 14:57:12
    Jackson
    Well sacrifices gave someone the chance back then to get their burdens relieved but now a days people usually or supposed kneel down and get to tlking with the good lord to get that burden of sin released off our shoulders
    Actually, Christians do not sacrafice animals. Jesus Christ took the place of ritual Sacrifice and became the ultimate sacrafice for everyone ij the World who'll except him as their savior before the rightious and just God who has punished sin since Satan brought it to the World through a young woman who had not been in on the admonition about what tree you do not eat of in the Garden.
    God's ultimate sacrafice was himself in the flesh. That love is a strong and yet precious love beyond all other. To have a God come down and die in the flesh for a sinful human race.......... Now that is hot! Christians do not sacrafice animals for this reason..
  • ubiquit... jackola... 2009/11/15 21:39:55
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    If you had bothered to actually read my post before replying you would have seen that I wrote:

"Then, according to Christian mythos, Jesus came along and became the ULTIMATE sacrifice, pleasing god so much that nobody has to sacrifice animals anymore."

So I'm quite aware of what you're saying. However my question is WHY is sacrifice necessary in the first place, and HOW does a person being murdered save anyone from anything?
  • jackola... ubiquit... 2009/11/16 03:28:08
    Best question I may have ever been asked No, second best, but here's this one anyway. WHY-After the advent of sin in the World God could no longer approach the World. It's also the reason it became the abode of Satan and his minions. But that's my guesses. God needed a way to be able to approach the Earth again. Inthis wish to rescue as many of his creations that would follow him down through the ages. WHY- Obviously John 3:16. ........... HOW- The one we call Jesus the Christ had the bennifit of a hypostatic union. being both God and Man. It gave the opportunity for the real God to encounter sin and not be driven away by it. Finally, in his crucifixion , the most miserable way to die or was a quote from an anciet who had been crucified and come back to life and this with broken legs and an exr=tra day on the cross. With jesus it was a matter to be helpless to the flesh and attracted or drew eery sin anyone would ever commit Jeustook them all and when he died he held on to them all. a perfect man had become the perfect vessel for taking al sin away . Now the=ose who are taken to Hell they have a choice. It is no longer God's esponsibility.
  • mjluver 2009/11/04 23:15:05
    Other (please comment)
    mjluver
    +3
    WHAT!!
  • ubiquit... mjluver 2009/11/04 23:20:11
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    This is one of my best questions... to date no Christian has been able to come up with a decent answer.
  • mjluver ubiquit... 2009/11/08 01:35:47
    mjluver
    +1
    It's not cool to think you know everything.and maybe Christians won't answer it b/c it's an ignorant question.
  • ubiquit... mjluver 2009/11/09 07:19:28 (edited)
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    If I thought I knew everything I wouldn't be asking questions. What is ignorant about it?
  • mjluver ubiquit... 2009/11/10 23:40:21
    mjluver
    It's ignorant b/c you have no idea what you are talking about.You can't just make assumptions based on the little that you know.It's useless to try to explain something to someone who doesn't actually listen.
  • mjluver mjluver 2009/11/10 23:49:04
    mjluver
    oh,now I see why you don't listen,your one of those know-it-all, smart-Alec guys ,who no matter what ,think they are right. Lovely
  • ubiquit... mjluver 2009/11/11 02:40:10
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    Actually I am very open-minded and a good logical argument with facts can and has changed my mind.

What assumptions am I making? The bible says animal sacrifices create a pleasing aroma for the lord, and that Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice so that we don't have to sacrifice animals anymore. Am I wrong?

So why is blood sacrifice necessary, and how does Jesus dying a violent death "save" anyone? That is a perfectly legitimate question. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I grew up Christian and am very familiar with the core message of being "saved by the blood of Christ". How does his bloodshed save us?
  • mjluver ubiquit... 2009/11/11 18:47:16
    mjluver
    +1
    Let me break this down for you.Satan created sin,are you with me so far?Adam and Eve gave into the temptation(ooh,that's a big word) and Satan wanted to kill them and drag them to Hell to pay for the sin. But God wanted all of us to go to heaven so, he sent Jesus to die so we wouldn't have to (but God didn't want that)
  • ubiquit... mjluver 2009/11/11 19:56:02
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    You didn't answer the question. HOW does Jesus' death save us from sin? Why is sin absolved with a human sacrifice?
  • mjluver ubiquit... 2009/11/11 20:29:21
    mjluver
    +1
    When we sin,we were supposed to die and go to hell,but b/c Jesus died for us, we have a chance to go to Heaven and live 4 eternity.do you understand?
  • ubiquit... mjluver 2009/11/11 20:50:45 (edited)
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    If god is real and the bible is true, then god can do anything. Couldn't he have saved us from hell without a human sacrifice? For example, he could have just forgiven us without bloodshed, or zapped sin out of existence, or destroyed hell, etc.

Is there something inherently magical about a man being murdered that god needed in order to save us?
  • mjluver ubiquit... 2009/11/11 23:26:17
    mjluver
    Yeah,well unfortunately Satan exists therefore things aren't that easy.
  • ubiquit... mjluver 2009/11/11 23:36:02 (edited)
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    So Satan told god "the only way to save your people from hell is to sacrifice your son", and god said "Okay"? How can Satan have power over god?

And didn't god create Lucifer, knowing full well in advance that he would rebel and become Satan? Isn't it all just "part of god's plan"?
  • mjluver ubiquit... 2009/11/12 01:14:06
    mjluver
    +1
    WOW,you are officially a waste of time.kudos
  • ubiquit... mjluver 2009/11/12 01:17:59 (edited)
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    You can't defend your own beliefs logically and I'M the waste of time? O...kay. My question is not a complicated one, and you just danced all around it without giving a real answer, because you don't have an answer.
  • mjluver ubiquit... 2009/11/12 21:34:49
    mjluver
    Here's your friggin' answer: God doesn't require sacrifice b/c it doesn't please him.Are you happy now?I'll bet not, b/c your one of those people, who even when they're wrong,they think they are right.I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE A THOUSAND!!you sir are wrong.I may not be right, but I know YOU ARE WRONG.Have a nice day ,peace
  • ubiquit... mjluver 2009/11/12 21:43:40
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    The bible SAYS it pleases him, now you're just contradicting your own religious scripture.
  • JimHancock ubiquit... 2010/07/06 06:27:30
    JimHancock
    +2
    You are right and she is wrong.. it's a preposterous concept, based on a fairy tale, she just keeps spouting the fairy tale, and tries to imply your stupid, you're not, you don't understand because there is nothing to understand, it's nonsense. I don't know where the words of Jesus came from, but they are great moral teachings.... but the whold concept of sacrifice is some manmade superstition.
  • Dan mjluver 2010/11/19 08:21:57
    Dan
    +4
    Strong faith. Keep it up. Just giving you more ammo. This one was tough on me until I asked God to give me a hand understanding this one. It got pretty deep. Bottom line, We need sacrifice, not him, because we want to choose to live in his world.
    The answer is in you.
    I questioned sacrifice until the understanding of myself made it more clear. We were made in Gods image but given the choice to make mistakes for our comfort. God knows his perfection is unattainable by us (since we have choice) so he has given us a way to realize and improve our situation. He created creatures that could screw up and choose him but only if they were perfect. Under Gods equation of perfection we would not measure up and he knows that so he allows us to make compensation for that; he allows us to sacrifice something important to us to demonstrate our desire to live with him. We do not sacrifice for him, we sacrifice for us, because we choose to. To live imperfect, with his perfection. We are not sheep, thank God.

(PS. I questioned slavery in the Bible. Just look for eye of the needle and that ansers that.
  • david bob ubiquit... 2011/06/30 21:09:16
    david bob
    +3
    Good Q, this may be the best answer. God made man in his image and likeness and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life. The breath of life is carried in the blood. Now we all know that the payment for sin is death, therefore, the life force (spirit) must return to god. The animal sacrifice is a temporary covering of our nakedness (shame). That's the only way that gods image (man) can be perpetuated. Otherwise he would be diminished himself. When blood is spilt to the point of death the life force returns to god. Jesus's blood is also a covering for the spirit which enables the image of god to continue to exist into eternity. Sorry it's a bit hard to explain without doing an essay.
  • javier.... ubiquit... 2012/11/13 01:44:51
    javier.a.aristizabal.1
    +1
    God said in Hebrews 9:22,"Without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness [of sins]. God says in Romans 6:23,"For the wages of sin is death." That was the whole purpose of Jesus' sacrifice. The Enemy [Satan] never told God to do animal sacrifice.
  • Clea ubiquit... 2013/05/24 08:50:50
    Clea
    +3
    I think that the reason god sent his son Jesus was to show how much he loved us. It is only by true repentance and faith in Jesus that which we are saved.
  • sundae ubiquit... 2012/03/23 02:10:41
    sundae
    +1
    hi ubiquit, i hope i can help you
    Pls find time to read this

The Blood of Christ
    Hebrews 9:11-14

11 But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that are now already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not made with human hands, that is to say, is not a part of this creation. 12 He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption. 13 The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean. 14 How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!

Hebrews 9:22

About the death of Jesus Christ, yes you are correct by saying it is a violent death. Do you know why? Because of our sins. All of us are sinners. No one is righteous no one except Christ.

Sins must be punished. But God so love us, He gave His Son to be sacrificed for us. Now, what we need to do is to be...

hi ubiquit, i hope i can help you
    Pls find time to read this

The Blood of Christ
    Hebrews 9:11-14

Hebrews 9:22

Sins must be punished. But God so love us, He gave His Son to be sacrificed for us. Now, what we need to do is to believe in Christ and make Him our Lord and Savior.

Because John 14:6 says,
    Jesus is the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Him.

God loves you.

Hope to hear from you.
    I'm your new friend from Manila,Philippines,
  • sundae ubiquit... 2012/03/23 02:40:47
    sundae
    +1
    Hi Ubiquit,

Hope I can help.

The Blood of Christ
    Hebrews 9:11-14

Hebrews 9:22

All of our sins were paid by Christ on the cros...

Hi Ubiquit,

Hope I can help.

The Blood of Christ
    Hebrews 9:11-14

Hebrews 9:22

John3:16

John14:6

God loves you very much.

Hope to hear from you.
  • sundae ubiquit... 2012/03/23 09:05:51
    sundae
    +2
    Hi Ubiquit,

Hope I can help.

The Blood of Christ
    Hebrews 9:11-14

Hebrews 9:22

Hi Ubiquit,

Hope I can help.

The Blood of Christ
    Hebrews 9:11-14

Hebrews 9:22

John3:16

John14:6

God loves you very much.

Hope to hear from you.
  • A Brotha From Anotha Motha 2009/08/04 17:06:41
    Other (please comment)
    A Brotha From Anotha Motha
    +2
    From your options I see where you stand on the subject ...

You are mistaking Judaism with Christianity. The Christian God only requries that we sacrifice our own sinful desires to live a right way in love and obedience to Jesus Christ. Jesus made the sacrifice, so we dont have to. I see you have either been reading the Old Testament, or you just want to cause trouble.

If you dont believe fine, but it seems you get some kind of morbid pleasure out of mocking God, and others ...

2014/09/02 09:47:03