Why does a white foamy substance bubble out of a mouth when we die in some cases?

Angel 2008/11/07 04:13:19
I had the misfortune of finding my mother in law lying lifeless in her bed yesterday. She had obviously passed in her sleep and it was very unexpected. She had not been ill at all. What perplexes me is the fact that she had a white foam substance that bubbled out of her mout but had a consistency of saliva. It actually looked like bubble bath. An autopsy will not be performed so I was hoping someone could enlighten me on a possible cause of death.

• k skipper 2014/05/30 21:37:57
    k skipper
    +3
    Sounds like an overdose
  • Outtolunch 2008/11/07 05:37:35
    Outtolunch
    It's called hemorrhagic edema fluid. If your heart fails it leads to excess fluids that can build up in the lungs, called Pulmonary edema, or in the abdomen. Strokes and heart attacks, kidney failure, liver failure - they can all cause this so it wouldnt be possible to suggest a cause of death to you I am afraid.

I am really sorry to hear about your mother in law :(
  • no Kidding 2008/11/07 04:41:01
    no Kidding
    My god, that must have been a rude surprise. I've seen critically injured people foam at the mouth, I always thought it was saliva that ran into the lungs being expelled.
  • Moon1475 no Kidding 2014/04/16 18:46:52
    Moon1475
    +3
    The same happen to my mom age 84 she had diabetic and gout it was scary seeing seeing my mom like that
  • Cynikal 2008/11/07 04:24:13
    Cynikal
    I do not know hun. It can be anything. There are many things that can cause it. Blood able to freely exude in the air pathways will cause that, but the cause could be quite a few things I would think, including a pulmonary embolism. If she had a history of clotting, lung disease or anything like that it could be that.
  • master of da ninja hugz 2008/11/07 04:16:10
    master of da ninja hugz
    i'm sorry but i dont have a clue and i realize how useless this comment is...sorry

2014/07/23 07:14:25