Why do some people think Barack Obama is a socialist?

icymore 2011/05/10 15:55:52
this is why I think Barack Obama is a socialist:
I don't think he is a socialist, but this is my guess as to why others might think he is:
I don't know why people think that
Nobody really thinks that, they're just racist.
I'm a socialist, and this is what I think about it:
I'm just trying to figure this one out, because as far as I can tell, even the socialists don't think he is a socialist. So please tell me why you think he is. Please be specific. Give examples.

"BECAUSE HE'S A SOCIALIST MARXIST TURD WHO WANTS TO DESTROY OUR COUNTRY AND WAS BORN IN KENYA OMG!!111!!!!! AND MICHELLE HAS A FAT BUTT LOL" is NOT an answer.

• Willie 2011/05/10 16:12:10
    I don't think he is a socialist, but this is my guess as to why others might ...
    Willie
    +8
    They think he's a socialist because they heard their favorite right-wing pundit say that he was a socialist, and they're unable to really understand what a socialist is on their own, so they follow along like the well-trained sheep that they are.

Also, some think so because socialism sounds scary and black people are scary, so it just makes sense.

• cameron 2013/07/30 01:19:05
  • La 2011/05/11 08:48:10
    I don't know why people think that
    La
    +1
    Anyone who knows what a socialist is doesn't think Obama is a socialist tbh.
  • Queen B 2011/05/11 02:36:32
    Queen B
    +2
    That's what they've been told to think. It makes life easier that way. = P
  • Waldorf 2011/05/10 22:20:04
    Waldorf
    He makes promises that the rich have to keep.
  • icymore Waldorf 2011/05/11 00:51:03
    icymore
    +1
    which promises?
  • La Waldorf 2011/05/11 08:50:48
    La
    +1
    There's a vast difference between thinking that the gap between rich and poor, which in the past 20 years or so has INCREASED EXPONENTIALLY, needs to decrease, and proclaiming "from each according to his needs to each according to his wants". No one is saying rich people can't still have what they want. A massive chasm between the income of the rich and poor is bad for the economy, so why are you complaining?
  • Bob Pooba 2011/05/10 22:01:54
    Bob Pooba
    Because of his socialistic ways.
  • icymore Bob Pooba 2011/05/11 00:50:45
    icymore
    +2
    what socialistic ways? Why even bother answering the question if you're not going to actually answer the question?
  • Bob Pooba icymore 2011/05/11 02:30:32
    Bob Pooba
    Why bother to ask a question that so obviously answers its self.....
  • icymore Bob Pooba 2011/05/11 02:34:07
    icymore
    +2
    it doesn't.

until you answer the question, I'm going to assume you have no reason for calling him a socialist other than you're bitter and/or ignorant.
  • Bob Pooba icymore 2011/05/11 02:38:28
    Bob Pooba
    You can , "assume" what you like, Until Obamy fulfills his socialist agenda, your still free to do so.
  • Frank B... Bob Pooba 2012/06/06 21:11:31
    Frank Booth
    +3
    So are you not able to find any examples to show us?. Why would you say something that you cannot proove with such conviction? We are still very interested in what you have to say. Please let us know what evidence you have.
  • Frank B... Bob Pooba 2012/06/06 21:09:32
    Frank Booth
    +1
    This still does not answer the question. Please cite examples. Anything that you can provide as proof will suffice.
  • Frank B... Bob Pooba 2012/06/06 21:07:41
    Frank Booth
    +2
    This does not answer the question. Please enlighten us as to Obama's socialist ways. Please use specific examples. This should not be difficult for someone so astute as yourself especially since you are able to recognize this cloaked socialist agenda beyond a reasonable doubt. If you truly are sure about what you are saying then citing credible provable examples will not be difficult. Please we are all listening.
  • Bruce 2011/05/10 19:47:42
    Bruce
    He wants to destroy free interprise and wants the government to own or control every business venture.
  • flaca BN-0 2011/05/10 19:28:56
    I don't know why people think that
    flaca BN-0
    +2
    If Obama was a socialist he would have worked harder to turn healthcare into a universal healthcare system like Europe's. He would have used the opportunity after the "meltdown" (when public opinion was on his side) to regulate the hell out of banks and hedge fund traders to prevent the same thing from happening again: but his reforms have been few.
  • ToothlessFerret 2011/05/10 18:15:12
    ToothlessFerret
    +4
    Your President is about as Socialist Marxist as a Big Mac. To Quote Mr Marx himself, speaking from 19th Century Europe:

"A spectre is haunting Europe — the spectre of communism. All the powers of old Europe have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: Pope and Tsar, Metternich and Guizot, French Radicals and German police-spies.

Where is the party in opposition that has not been decried as communistic by its opponents in power? Where is the opposition that has not hurled back the branding reproach of communism, against the more advanced opposition parties, as well as against its reactionary adversaries?"
  • Teancum79 2011/05/10 17:13:10
    Teancum79
    +2
    um lets see, speeches, voting record, his campaign website, appointees who quote Mao to school children,, utter disregard for personal property and liberty. Gee the list is so short. Can anyone honestly not see this?
  • icymore Teancum79 2011/05/10 17:50:42
    icymore
    +4
    can you be more specific? Which speeches make him sounds like a socialist? He gives so many. Which votes on his voting record indicate he is a socialist? Which appointee quoted Mao and what was the quotation? What has he done that shows utter disregard for personal property (liberty, I don't need to ask)?
  • Teancum79 icymore 2011/05/10 20:17:27
    Teancum79
    Anita Dunn (you-tube has a vid from Glen Becks show). The discussion with Joe the plumber would be one example. Wealth redistribution, graduated income taxes, cradle to grave government programs, not allowing people to opt out of the workforce, forcing people to buy health insurance, on going federal land grabs, fed money being spent on countless little projects. I refer you to a summary (or the whole thing if you want to take the time) of the stimulus and health care reform bills as well as his campaign website. Also look up socialism (and/or its almost identical twin communism) read what is advocated for. Under the Constitution of the US the federal government only has power to tax us for specific uses and is to respect the rights of states on all other matters. Federal entitlement programs violates most clearly.
  • Bella Teancum79 2011/05/11 05:33:54 (edited)
    Bella
    +1
    States are governed by the federal government, something that is very clear in the constitution. So is the part about taxes, check that out again, congress has all the power it needs to collect taxes.

For the most part your conclusion about Obama is purely opinion. In America there are more than one kind if socialism. One for all of america's citizens, you call these programs entitlements. GOP hate them because they are democrat programs that people have lives for years.

Then there is the corporate or rich socialism. You see republicans live socialism. Although they want to privatize the profits republicans want to socialize the losses with taxpayer money
  • Teancum79 Bella 2011/05/12 17:07:23
    Teancum79
    Stares? did you mean States? They are governed only in the things which the Constitution allows. The feds may tax, but only to do what they are allowed to do.
    Rights (in a free nation) are held by the people. They hand over some of their rights to the government, but the government may not have a right that the people themselves do not have.

Corporate socialism is just as wrong, if businesses are taxed it needs to be the same rate no ifs, ands or buts.
  • Bella Teancum79 2011/05/12 17:18:12
    Bella
    In a federation te federal government has power over te states. Our founders wanted a strong central government having power over the states.

iPhone is small, typos can happen along with posting too soon if my big fat fingers get in the way
  • Teancum79 Bella 2011/05/14 02:13:40
    Teancum79
    Tis all good, spelling is not my strong suite. The feds do have power over the states in the things specified in the Constitution. And the people and the States retain all their other rights. The 9th and 10th amendments are utterly worthless otherwise.
  • Bella Teancum79 2011/05/14 19:52:14
    Bella
    All other rights are only those not specified in the constitution. However, agreeing on specific intent of constitution language is complicated by the ambiguity of the English language. Convincing arguments are
    many.
  • Teancum79 Bella 2011/05/14 23:00:42
    Teancum79
    There is a lot of room for disagreement on a great many issues (paper vs gold and silver money playing international police or not etc.), but I find the limitations of federal power to be quite clear.
  • Bella Teancum79 2011/05/15 04:19:39
    Bella
    What's clear is that we are a federation with a constitution and a strong central government with power over the states. States are only given power that isn't already given to the federal government according to the constitution. The federal government was given all power by founders because they reslized individual states rights was a failure. Hence "...in order to form a perfect union"
  • Teancum79 Bella 2011/05/15 05:32:48
    Teancum79
    have you ever read the bill of rights?
  • Bella Teancum79 2011/05/15 15:17:12
    Bella
    The bill of eights (first 10 amendments) wet ratified to spears the states because they feared the constitution wouldn't protect their rights. The founders argued that the constitution did this and more, but states were still fearful so they added the first 10 amendments. However, the founders were correct in that the constitution did protect states. For over 200 hundred years our country has grown (coast to coast) and has become the greatest super power, making foisted correct. A strong central government will power OVER the states was the key to a successful government. Are we perfect, no. But we are the best in the world because our founders saw that a confederation didn't work. Giving states power over the government was in place for less than 10 years but founders knew it would destroy the country's foundation. Their brilliance in giving full power to the federal government is why we are the best.
  • Teancum79 Bella 2011/05/16 02:26:25
    Teancum79
    Full power to the feds?
    Amendment 9 -
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment 10 -
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

If you can read these words and believe that the Constitution gives full power to the federal government may I suggest some intense study of the English language or psycho therapy. These lines specifically prevent the very type of government you think w should have.
    You are correct that the original articles of confederation resulted in too weak of a central government, but an unlimited governments where common and not something the founders would have created.
  • Bella Teancum79 2011/05/16 03:24:09
    Bella
    Doesn't matter if you like it the fact is the founders created "...a more perfect union" by changing to a strong central government by abandoning the articles of confederation and adopting a constitution. You read the constitution, you know that sole piece of paper that governs this country. What's left over is what the states get, but it ain't much. The bill of rights does not and cannot take any power away from the constitution
  • Teancum79 Bella 2011/05/16 03:39:16
    Teancum79
    The entire point of having a constitution is to limit what the government can do. The feds have the power granted to them in the Constitution, but they have no more legitimate power. All action taken outside that powers granted them is a violation of the law, a violation of the oaths of office all who serve take and oppression of the people.
  • Bella Teancum79 2011/05/16 03:54:20
    Bella
    Under the articles of confederation the government was limited in what it could do. Founders saw this was wrong and decided to form a more perfect union, developed a federation and gave us a constitution which was the creation of a strong central government with power over the states. It is what it is.
  • Teancum79 Bella 2011/05/16 04:28:21
    Teancum79
    Limited power over the states and people. Is what they made. Traitors and ignorant people have altered much of that.
  • Bella Teancum79 2011/05/16 12:45:58
    Bella
    Not only do you not understand the constitution at all but now you think you can twist our constitution to meet your needs and call others traitors? There are very specific ways that a constitution can be amended. So history revisionists can't just change our constitution do it by saying so. Your ignorance of our government doesn't give any right to call any one a traitor. Find a 10th grader and learn a little about this country you are living in.
  • Teancum79 Bella 2011/05/16 17:09:26
    Teancum79
    That is quite a projection there.
  • Frank B... Teancum79 2012/06/06 21:36:43 (edited)
    Frank Booth
    +3
    You really should not call fellow American citizens traitors unless you are ready to be called one. Some people may consider you to be ignorant based on the information that you choose to offer. Does this make you a traitor or uninformed? You may want to contain your judgment and name calling until you can adequately prove what you are saying. I don't think that you have a strong case and you have resorted to name calling which also makes your case look weak.
  • Frank B... Teancum79 2012/06/06 21:25:02
    Frank Booth
    +3
    You really need to be specific if you are going to persuade us into believing this. I am not completley convinced that what you are saying has any validity unless you can give specific examples. What concrete proof do you have? News stories? What about his website is socialist exactly? What specific part of his speeches make you think that he is socialist? Which appointees quote Mao to school children and why does quoting Mao make the president a socialist? What personal property is being disregarded? Is my property being disregarded? Is my liberty being disregarded if so how?
  • G 2011/05/10 17:07:34
    G
    +4
    Because he's not a republican.
  • flaca BN-0 G 2011/05/10 19:19:32
    flaca BN-0
    +2
    republicans haven't ditched socialism in America though. They haven't cancelled farm subsidies (anti market forces).

2014/11/23 12:26:29