Why do so many people love president Reagan?

JoeSchmoe 2012/06/12 06:15:58
Lowered taxes, increased spending which is a terrible idea since he only gave money to the statistically most greedy and most often psychopathic people besides serial killers? Makes no sense to me, does it to you? Every fact i've heard about him is pretty bad, but I would like to know facts about all the great things he did, all those things the republicans strive to do.

• MorbidCynic 2012/06/12 09:23:34
    Like Reagan(explain)
    MorbidCynic
    He helped fix the economy and kept people from losing hope that it could get fixed.
  • NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE... 2012/06/12 08:13:31
  • Z 2012/06/12 06:45:43
    Like Reagan(explain)
    Z
    He fought inflation (From 13.5% in '80 to 4% in 1988), fought those spending increases that the DEMOCRATS passed, gave a greater proportionate tax cut to lower income individuals, helped grow the black middle class more than nearly any other president, passed policies which would latter lead to one of the strongest economic growths in American history, and was a very charismatic individual. I don't like his military spending policy, but he had a good immigration record (passed amnesty) and knew what he was doing. GDP per working age adult increased by 1.8% per year under Reagan, compared to 0.9% under Carter. The rate of growth of federal spending under Reagan actually declined to 2.5% a year, compared to 4% under Carter, and increased block grants to states. (All of that is according to the U.S. congressional Budget Office and department of treasury). According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Unemployment went from 7.5% in 1980 to 10.2% in 1982 to 5.4% in 88. Also, according to the BLS, a net job increase of 21 million emerged from Reagan's policies into the mid-90's. Poverty rate remained stationary, at 13%, which isn't good, but it isn't bad.

I can go on and on with positive statistics about Reagan's presidency. He is a popular president because he was good at what he did.
  • JoeSchmoe Z 2012/06/13 08:18:23
    JoeSchmoe
    Thank you that was very nice to see. The reason I asked this question is because there are so many people like the one who left the comment above you, he is most likely repeating that because it was what people with his ideology said, I hope he doesn't like Ron Paul too because Ron Paul hates Reagan, which brought me to wanting to find out more about Reagan. I think the biggest problem is when politicians say they want to be like him, but they mean they want to tell the public they will cut taxes and fight for our freedom. The outspending Communism worked for making people of the Communist countries starve while we created jobs hear but it added a ton to the deficit. He did attempt to cut departments of government which was good but not at the rate he was spending money. I think his hatred of communism was a bit ignorant, we could have been friendly, spent less money maybe helped them a little, and had a great partnership with their country. Also while he was governor of California he started a terrible trend, cutting funding from education. I bet the students were over-reacting to the tuition they had to pay but education has since been getting its money taken away which is just results with many problems in the end. Not entirely his fault but he should have cut spending last because educating people have a great effect.

But anyway thank you for some concrete information.
  • Z JoeSchmoe 2012/06/13 13:52:08
    Z
    Well, actually, education spending has increased overall since Reagan's governorship, and more than that, we have the 2nd highest spending in education per student out of the OCED. Spending more isn't what we need. In fact, if we would cut spending, implemented a voucher system and dealt with the stranglehold the teacher's union has on firing their members, we would likely see drastic increases in spending.

Paul didn't hate Reagan, they just didn't agree on several issues, such as spending and the military. But I have started to shy away from Ron Paul more recently. His son has been supporting policies that are clearly neo-conservative foreign policies, such as sanctions on Iran, and Ron has not only not opposed it but shown some levels of support. I also don't like some of the different campaign policies that he has been using. I don't know what happened, but Ron Paul is not quite the champion of freedom and liberty that he once was.
  • VICTORIA 2012/06/12 06:27:09
    Don't Like Him(explain)
    VICTORIA
    Because they weren't payijng attention to him when he was in office, and are animated only by pure and filtyh hatred of those whose ideas they disagree with.

Reagan had an on staff astrologer. Jeanne Dixon.

If the RWNJ evangelicals were to "judge" him (and that is all that they DO!)

They would be accsuing him of witchery.

Becaue they're mindless idiots.
  • MorbidC... VICTORIA 2012/06/12 09:24:36
  • VICTORIA MorbidC... 2012/06/13 04:51:44
    VICTORIA
    O jesus, a 24 year old has an opinion about a president who died before he was born.
    Yes honey- Reagan had a full time astrologer on staff- google it.
  • MorbidC... VICTORIA 2012/06/13 08:09:13
    MorbidCynic
    Don't pretend to know evrything about Reagan since you liberals only believe what you want.
  • Z MorbidC... 2012/06/13 13:53:42
    Z
    You might try pointing out that Reagan died in 2004. But she is right about the Astrologer, even though she doesn't realize that was for his wife, and that he had serious reservations about it and eventually let the staff member go.
  • VICTORIA MorbidC... 2012/06/13 16:02:28
    VICTORIA
    "Virtually every major move and decision the Reagans made during my time as White House Chief of Staff was cleared in advance with a woman in San Francisco who drew up horoscopes to make certain that the planets were in a favorable alignment for the enterprise."
    --Donald Regan (Reagan's former chief of staff), For the Record: From Wall Street to Washington

It wasn't widely circulated until the publication of Donald Regan's memoir, For the Record in 1988, that President Reagan and his influential wife sought the advice of an astrologer. Time magazine would later identify Ron and Nancy's chart reader as being San Francisco astrologist Joan Quigley.

http://thereaganyears.tripod....
  • L1 2012/06/12 06:24:05
    Other(explain)
    L1
    It depends on whether or not you benefited from his presidency. I did not. I remember "Star Wars", "Iran-Contra", and so much more.....

2014/07/29 04:48:16