Why do so many people hate Christians and the Bible?

Todd~AFCL 2009/12/16 11:42:43
5 votes
15%
2 votes
6%
1 vote
3%
25 votes
76%

Question Closed

• JuJu~Proud to be Infidel 2009/12/18 03:25:29
    Other...Please Explain
    JuJu~Proud to be Infidel
    +4
    Hmmm, how can I put this? I stopped going to church some time ago. I was asked why I left Jesus. My response was that I didn't leave Jesus, I left his followers.

I was tired of being judged. No one else knows what is in another's heart, and no one has the right to place themselves above anyone else.

I also think Christ's message has been misunderstood. The bible quotes him "whosoever believes in me shall have everlasting life." It makes more sense to me that the meaning was "whosoever believes in what I say, shall have everlasting life."

Jesus was confused with his message. It's like the forest was missed because of the trees.
    It's always been hard for me to explain, and my own family told me I was going to hell. lol
    I guess I've always been the black sheep.

• marichatita789 2009/12/19 05:25:09
    Other...Please Explain
    marichatita789
    +1
    im christian,but people that dont belive On god they hate christians and God and they hate them because they dont want to follow the ten commands or they dont want they to talk about Jesus,ANd christians are not doing bad is doing the good thing by preaching word of God to siners.
  • Todd~AFCL maricha... 2009/12/19 08:43:23
    Todd~AFCL
    +1
    Thank you for your thoughtful answer. You're right in saying people don't want to follow the ten commandments or even hear about Jesus.
  • maricha... Todd~AFCL 2009/12/19 17:27:58
    marichatita789
    +2
    thas what i think
  • outofth... maricha... 2010/01/04 11:34:42
    outofthisworld
    +1
    That's not right. I might not believe in God or Jesus or the Ten Commandments, but that doesn't mean I hate anyone or anything. Get your facts straight, Christians do a whole lot of hatred towards Atheists and non-Christians themselves.
  • LaineLa... outofth... 2011/02/25 11:04:21
    LaineLawrence
    +5
    i would say fake chriistians do harm.... not real ones. so do not blame christians blame evil people posing as christians, satan has blinded many. and while we are on this subject we are not supposed to hate others for any reason nor judge anyone. really christians are trying to help other find their way, and that is not bad but good. coming to Jesus is the only way to heaven and our responsibility according to God's written word is to take that message to all people so many can escape hell. that is love, that is not hatred. do politicans care about your eternity? do teachers? do judges or lawyers or police care? do neighbors? do even family members? Jesus cares and he tell his followers to care the most about you like he dose.
    i would say point the wrong doer finger at everyone. everyone sins. so if your going to hate then hate everyone because everyone dose wrong or else your a hypocrite and your hatred is biased towards christians and Jesus.
    why not hate buddists, krishnahs? they do not care if your go to hell
  • outofth... LaineLa... 2011/02/26 13:54:50
    outofthisworld
    I agree with you to an extent. I have many Christian friends who are great people. But what bothers me about your statement is that you start off by saying that Christians don't hate, and finish off by saying something quite hateful regarding other religions. You have your opinion and that's fine. But please respect other people's beliefs too.
  • Ruby Day LaineLa... 2011/06/19 21:31:49
    Ruby Day
    +4
    Amen...you Got your Facts right not just that GOD gave you the knowledge to answer this silly question. In Jesus name. stay strong because times are getting hard and there will be many prosecution to us Christians but dont you worry we share the prosecution of CHRIST. And the LOVE of GOD is all that matters and how we got HEAVEN and noone can take it away BUT ONLY GOD ALONE.AMEN...GOD BLESS YOU
  • youreah... maricha... 2013/05/26 08:02:39
    youreahypocrite
    +1
    I think I lost a few IQ points when I finished reading this, no offense. Did you even bother checking what you wrote?
    Other...Please Explain
    JuJu~Proud to be Infidel
    +4

• Todd~AFCL JuJu~Pr... 2009/12/18 09:59:17
    Todd~AFCL
    +4
    JuJu, thank you very much for your answer. I believe I understand what you went through. I rarely go to church, myself. Of course, my reasons for not going have nothing to do with being judged, but because I found it boring. After hearing the same messages for 20 years, it got old. I know this probably isn't the right attitude, but it is how I feel. I can sit at home and read my Bible or pray without going to a church.
  • JuJu~Pr... Todd~AFCL 2009/12/18 13:00:25
    JuJu~Proud to be Infidel
    +1
    I'm glad you understand, and just for the record, I thought it was boring too lol

I also believe we should send our kids to some form of worship, so they can have exposure of a spiritual nature. The day my kids told me they didn't want to go anymore, I didn't force them to because I didn't want them to resent it. They were in their teens. Now that they are in their 20's they go from time to time.
  • Todd~AFCL JuJu~Pr... 2009/12/18 20:30:28
    Todd~AFCL
    +2
    I had to go right up to the day I joined the army and left home. For quite awhile, I did resent it.
  • Ricardo... JuJu~Pr... 2010/09/16 02:40:16
    RicardoBaez
    +2
    wow I feel the same way. I used to go to Church on Wednesday, Thurdsday, Friday(for a class not service), Saturday morning, and on Sunday in the morning and night. It became overwhelming. I am 21 and I need to go to college and get my own life set. I am already pretty poor but of course I pay my own gas to get to Church and back. And on top of that I had to tithe which means giving 10% of all and any of your income to the Church. Now I don't go as much as I used to. Maybe after I finish college and get my own life together, then I will go back. It was definitely a life changing journey, a journey I would like to continue one day.
  • JuJu~Pr... Ricardo... 2010/09/16 20:56:48
  • Ruby Day JuJu~Pr... 2011/06/19 21:37:40
    Ruby Day
    +2
    SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE JUDGING AT YOUR CHURCH, BUT DONT LET NEGTIVE GET TO YOUR HEAD AND DONT LET SATAN ATTACK YOU BY PUTING YOU DOWN. REMEBER HIS GOAL IS TO TAKE YOU TO HELL, GOD NEVER LEFT YOU OR FORSAKE YOU HE KNOWS YOUR HEART AS NOONE KNOWS IT AND THATS THE BEST. BUT REMEBER GOD'S WORD TELLS US THERE WILL BE MANY FALSE AMONG US WE NEED TO TEST THEM NOT TO GIVE UP ON JESUS BECAUSE WITHOUT JESUS THEIRS NO LIFE. I LOVE YOU SO DOES JESUS CHRIST. I PRAY GOD GUIDES YOU TO THE RIGHT FOLLOWERS AND HELPS YOU SEE THROUGHT THE LIES OF SATAN. IN JESUS NAME. YOU KEEP ON WORSHIPING AND PRAISING GOD IN THE GOOD AND BAD TIMES.NEVER STOP PRAYING BECAUSE IN PRAYER THERES POWER.GOD BLESS YOU SISTER IN CHRIST.
  • mrrealer JuJu~Pr... 2011/07/29 21:57:40
    mrrealer
    +5
    Yeah, there are a lot of fake Christians out there. And there are a whole bunch that don't even have a personal relationship with God. All I can say is if you're a real Christian, you follow the teachings of Jesus. You are supposed to read your bible daily. For real. I mean, im currently reading and it really ass amazing. However, it is easy to backside if you're not reading it everyday. Check out 2 Peter and Ephesians 6.
  • wpsark 2009/12/17 22:27:05 (edited)
    Other...Please Explain
    wpsark
    +1
    I think it's because Christian religions proclaim to be the only way, as does Islam and probably several more. No one wants other's belief systems thrown in their face and be demonized for not conforming to that particular sect. There's a lot of extremism on all sides of any religion and that is why I don't take part in religion. As for the bible it's probably not exactly hate for the bible, there are some great lessons in it and words to live by for sure, but man's interpretation of the bible has been used for some pretty sinister deeds.

Kind of off subject but, The morman religion, Latter Day Saints for instance, Brigham Young created the Mormon religion in the 1800's.. I mean, just look how that developed. Rocks in hats and secret codes, come on! and don't get me started on Scientology...Anyone can start a religion, you just have to find enough desperate people to believe you. I don't hate/dislike Christians or anyone just because of their faith, I hate how religious fanatics think that their way is the only way and if you don't believe how they do, then you are EVIL and damned. I think atheists are becoming worse than the religious extremist, calling people stupid for believing in God, how's that any worse than what a Christian does? I think it's all a form of psychosis ...

Kind of off subject but, The morman religion, Latter Day Saints for instance, Brigham Young created the Mormon religion in the 1800's.. I mean, just look how that developed. Rocks in hats and secret codes, come on! and don't get me started on Scientology...Anyone can start a religion, you just have to find enough desperate people to believe you. I don't hate/dislike Christians or anyone just because of their faith, I hate how religious fanatics think that their way is the only way and if you don't believe how they do, then you are EVIL and damned. I think atheists are becoming worse than the religious extremist, calling people stupid for believing in God, how's that any worse than what a Christian does? I think it's all a form of psychosis if you are really that "hell" bent on worrying about how other's believe, I don't understand why people just won't live and let live. If you aren't affected negatively by someone's belief system, then why hate on it?
  • Todd~AFCL wpsark 2009/12/18 10:01:38
    Todd~AFCL
    +3
    I think you have some good points.Thank you for your answer and yor comments.
  • Lanikai 2009/12/17 17:39:52
    Other...Please Explain
    +1
    They KNOW we are going to Heaven and they are not.

I think everyone KNOWS something is missing in their lives until they find Jesus, but most of them will not accept it thru sheer hardheadedness or a bad experience with a religion. BUT, we still get to go to Heaven and they DO NOT>
  • outofth... Lanikai 2010/01/04 11:38:03
    outofthisworld
    +1
    Yay! Why don't you do a little happy dance seeing as though your simple mind finds simple excuses for what's going on in the world? And you're going to Heaven and we're not. Doesn't that just make you so happy and make us sooooo sad? :(
  • mrrealer Lanikai 2011/07/29 22:08:01
    mrrealer
    +2
    Yeah but you cannot say that to a non Christianand expect them to be happy about it. When you're talking about following Christ you're supposed to do so with love. Not this hatred that says if you don't follow the bible you will burn in he'll. Remember Moses was a murderer and God chose him to lead the Israelites out of Egypt.
  • kevin bubanski 2009/12/17 16:42:49
    Other...Please Explain
    kevin  bubanski
    +1
    i think "hate" is a pretty strong word, i think the matter is not hate, but personal interpretation, and blatant hyprocicy among some who claim to follow the teachings of christ, but clearly do not, judging by their actions.
  • Todd~AFCL kevin ... 2009/12/17 20:27:21
    Todd~AFCL
    +2
    Actually hate is not too strong a word for this post. It is the reason for my question.
  • pbird49 2009/12/17 14:05:29
    Other...Please Explain
    pbird49
    +1
    I think the vocal ones make it seem like there are more than there really are. Out of 308 million people here in the USA I can only come up with about 25.
  • brandi_wine112 2009/12/17 10:38:48
    Other...Please Explain
    brandi_wine112
    +2
    Many roads to get to heaven --

Last count, My grandmother had 123 great grand children in the late 80's . So you talk about diveristy in religion our family has it.

Reunions - were somewhat controversal as to whos religion was better? Protestants? Catholics? Baptist? Lutherans? etc. With so many people talking at once trying to get their point across one trying to "out talk" the other with all the voices raised.

, many times it sounded like a high school football game as the croud roars. You couldnt really hear what they were saying but you knew they all had one common denominator , They all love Jesus.

So, take it from me , There are many roads that lead to God. It isnt just one religion. I believe religion is similar to "pieces of material " - it takes more than one "piece of material " to make a quilt. The problem I see , To some "one religion " thinks they are the "pattern".
  • Todd~AFCL brandi_... 2009/12/17 11:52:02
    Todd~AFCL
    +4
    Wow, I can only imagine what it would be like to visit one of your family reunions. Yes, there is much diversity within Christianity and many think their denomination is the only correct one. Of course, as I see it, the denomination doesn't matter. It is all about following Christ.
    Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to answer. I am very happy you joined the discussion!
  • brandi_... Todd~AFCL 2009/12/17 12:08:15
    brandi_wine112
    +3
    Ty Todd you are correct ! The journey can be complicated but the ultimate destination is rewarding. Jesus Christ is our Savior and by his graces HE will get you where you need to be.

Have you ever wondered about Heaven? If there is no fire in heaven how do angels
    light candles? .
  • Todd~AFCL brandi_... 2009/12/17 12:12:54
    Todd~AFCL
    +3
    You're very welcome, Brandi! I am always glad to hear your opinion!

Yes, I have wondered about Heaven many times. Of course, I never gave the idea of fire in Heaven, any thought. Why would the angels light candles? Wouldn't God's light fill every corner of Heaven?
  • brandi_... Todd~AFCL 2009/12/17 12:22:54
    brandi_wine112
    +1
    Ty again Todd, always enjoy hearing from you !!

Well imagine, Christmas dinner in heaven ,Gods table stretches what seems like miles draped in the whitest of white linen table cloths , the prettiest music to your ears and the tallest candles you ever seen ....how do Angels light the candles?

Well imagine an angel - gracefully floating in mid air...extends her finger out , and a the brightest light flickers at the end of her finger tips to light the wick. Magical ....
  • Todd~AFCL brandi_... 2009/12/17 20:28:37
    Todd~AFCL
    +2
    Not magical, miraculous!
  • GLaDOS 2009/12/17 08:39:52 (edited)
    Other...Please Explain
    GLaDOS
    +2
    There are as many reasons as there are people. I think most of it is due to their tendency toward self-righteous delusion, and preaching habits toward people who really don't want to hear it.

Personally, I don't hate Christians, or the Bible. I do strongly dislike when they try preaching at me, suggesting that my beliefs are wrong (arrogance much?)...and being told that I'm going to be pissed on by the person when they're in Heaven and I'm in Hell (Pride and judgment right there). Just what ever girl wants to hear, that will REALLY make me love a faith.

Hell, in the right argument, I'll back them.
  • Todd~AFCL GLaDOS 2009/12/17 08:52:28
    Todd~AFCL
    +2
    From what I know of Christianity, the person (or people) who said they would piss on you from Heaven, are not Christian.
    I tend to agree with you about the unwanted preaching. Just so I am not misunderstood, I do not claim to be a Christian, but my religious views are Christian.
    For now, thank you for answering and givng your honest opinion.
  • GLaDOS Todd~AFCL 2009/12/17 09:06:52
    GLaDOS
    +1
    He was a Born-Again who had found out I (at the time) was a pagan.

I have nothing against Christians, many good friends of mine are Christians, my family (with the exception of one Agnostic...and whatever my younger brother is, are Catholic), and all reference God each day, thanking him or reaffirming their faith. I find that sort of life to be a very beautiful one, no matter what the faith. I usually appreciate when people say that they'll pray for me, as long as they're not coming across as overly righteous, and I have asked my friends to extend prayers for my aunt who is in her third round of breast cancer.

So, in general, it really doesn't matter if you are or not, it simply depends on what "kind" of Christian you are. I have tolerance for any faith, as long as they don't try to indoctrinate me or say that I'm wrong in my beliefs and need to "find Jesus."

I would say that the biggest reason that many people dislike or hate them, is because the worst are often the loudest, so they get the most attention. The same could be said for any faith. Muslim people, for example. You say "Islam" and people automatically think "Ahlalalala!" *BOOM!* But that isn't representative of all practitioners. You say "Satanist" and most would automatically think killing babies and whatnot, whe...

I would say that the biggest reason that many people dislike or hate them, is because the worst are often the loudest, so they get the most attention. The same could be said for any faith. Muslim people, for example. You say "Islam" and people automatically think "Ahlalalala!" *BOOM!* But that isn't representative of all practitioners. You say "Satanist" and most would automatically think killing babies and whatnot, when they're really, basically, usually just the religious equivalent of libertarians, they don't really worship anyone, and believe in complete personal freedom (from what I know).

It's sad that the louder minority often reflects so poorly on the good people.
  • Todd~AFCL GLaDOS 2009/12/17 09:19:39
    Todd~AFCL
    +2
    I've only known one person who claimed to be pagan. I have no idea if anybody treated him differently because of it; I haven't seen him since I left the army in '87.

You do have some good points about the worst of each group being the loudest. As for Satanists, I don't know if I've ever even met one; I can't help wondering if some people don't claim this to get others to just leave them alone.

Anyway, I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!
  • GLaDOS Todd~AFCL 2009/12/17 11:15:58 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    +1
    I don't think that that sort of thing (intolerance) would be tolerated in the Army, since you're supposed to be acting as an effective unit, but you never know.

That's quite possible about the claiming to be Satanists simply to get people to leave them alone. lol

Thank you, Merry Christmas to you, too. ^_^
  • seathan... GLaDOS 2009/12/17 17:43:11
    seathanaich
    +1
    Intolerance can very easily breed in the army. The troops are young, and military service has some cult-like aspects to it which can turn negative without the right control and discipline. The pack mentality often does not tolerate differences. I'm an infantry officer. Cheers.
  • GLaDOS seathan... 2009/12/17 21:51:52
    GLaDOS
    Ah, my parents were both in the Army for 20 years, so I only know what they told me. Mom's a white woman, dad's a Mexican man and an infantryman who almost made it into one of the SF groups (if not for his inability to swim >.< ). I was told that there are rules against certain behaviors that you can be punished rather severely for doing, such as hatefulness toward other races. Of course, maybe the military has become more lenient on such things since fifteen years ago. (Despite you being in Canada, I assume you mean that you are an American Infantry Officer.)
  • seathan... GLaDOS 2009/12/17 23:39:22
    seathanaich
    Hi.

"(Despite you being in Canada, I assume you mean that you are an American Infantry Officer.)"

Why? That would be a false assumption, and an odd one.

Yes there are rules against intolerance. And the reason is that soldiers, especially the infantry, are trained to live on the edge, and attract people who do so. I don't think the military can ever to relax it's policies on this. Cheers.
  • GLaDOS seathan... 2009/12/18 03:26:57 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    +1
    Because I am talking about the AMERICAN military, and cannot speak on the Canadian one, the French, the German, the English, or any other country's regulations.

So, since I was talking about the AMERICAN military, I had assumed that YOU were as well. You, however, cannot speak of the American military if you have not experienced being in it, as I said, I only know what I do from being an Army brat.

So, the rules on intolerance, to my knowledge (from what last I had heard), are strictly enforced in the American Army, and are grounds for severe punishment. If this has changed, then I can see where being a pagan might cause friction, if not, then I would expect that any intolerance among the fresh meat would quickly be snuffed, or they would learn that it either be snuffed or they get in trouble, since they are supposed to act like a unit.
  • seathan... GLaDOS 2009/12/18 21:29:12
    seathanaich
    As a Canadian infantry officer I can speak about the US Army more authoritatively than most US civilians can. If you were aware of what NATO is, how coalition warfare works, or what happens in your own military, you would already be well aware of that. But beyond that, it's insular and parochial to assume that your own military is materially different from those of your allies, particularly your English speaking ones (ie Canada, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand).

2014/12/22 12:48:59