Why do smokers think their rights are more important than non-smokers?

america the afraid 2008/12/27 10:29:43
Smokers rights are more important than non-smokers.
Smokers have no right.
Smoker just need to keep it to themselfs.
Non-smokers have more rights.
None of the above. I have my own thoughts!
When a non-smoker stands up for their right to as clean air as they can breath because, we as humans have to do things like breath air to live. We can not just make the decision to stop breathing because, someone else has made the decision to not breath as clean air as this planet can give us. We are wrong and taking their rights away from them. It just seems that it is all about them. There are smokers that say things like,"We should be allowed to smoke in bars". Well, what about those people that like to have a good time and have few drinks in a bar that does not smoke? It is only fair that if you would like to risk your life for the unseen pleasure of such a drug. Then why not do it where it does not effect others that do not want to take those risk? If this is a constitutional thing? Then is it not our right to do other drugs? It is not about rights! It is about desire. The only reason cigarettes and alcohol are allowed is because, our states and government benefit from it. What is wrong with separating smokers and none-smokers with the rights of both parties getting to enjoy a drink or a meal in their favorite bar or restaurant and giving the people that have the habit of smoking a separate place to do this. If smoking is going to be allowed. Then let it be up to the owners of the restaurant or bar to be non or for. Because, as long as there are places for non-smokers and smokers. We then make our decision to be there or not.

• Scott Pearson 2014/01/05 04:10:50 (edited)
    Scott Pearson
    Smokers should be allowed to inhale all the smoke they want, so long as they do not exhale. A smoker just moved into the apartment above us. Now our apartment smells like smoke and he told us he has the right to smoke and to go home and stop bothering him, and even suggested WE should move out (he just moved in a week ago). Apparently his right to cancer supersedes our right to the clean air we've been enjoying for the last 5 years because now our apartment smells like smoke whenever he lights up. It reminds me that the word prick can also be used as a noun instead of a verb. Anyone who thinks this smoker has the right to fill another apartment (with 2 children in it) with his recycled smoke, ought to have their head examined because there is obviously something wrong. If I drink, it doesn't affect him, but if he smokes and it affects me it is somehow justified behavior because the smoking chip on everyone's shoulder is so big? Grow up, smokers! Would you want to drink dirty water that I polluted? Well I don't want to breathe in your recycled smoke, either! Jeez Louise! Wake the hell up, people. Smoking is not RIGHT when it is upsetting others. Be a decent person and not an A-hole about it and it will be greatly appreciated.
  • Vipor_GG 2011/12/28 13:44:22
    Vipor_GG
    I smoke cigars and this is a subject that I am all too familiar with. Non-smokers think their rights extend to governing the rights of others. When we have smoking bans that close and put cigar parlors out of business you can't say the the bans are to protect the non-smoker. Why would a non-smoker be in a cigar parlor? I do support banning smoking in public buildings. Public buildings are owned by the public and generally when you need to go to a public building there is no other option. Privately owned property should be left to the owner/owners to decide if smoking will be allowed or not. No one is forced to go to private property. If you want to eat without being around smoke, go to a restaurant that doesn't allow smoking. The same goes for any privately owned place. If there is a demand someone will fill it. If you want to go to a bar and not be around smoke, go to a no smoking bar. If there isn't one, open one. The smoke Nazis are out in full force. They are now trying to start bans on e-cigarettes. http://www.sodahead.com/unite...
  • Jack Sheet 2009/09/27 02:30:45
    Jack Sheet
    No one should have more rights, if you look at the revenue plus the rules against smokers, you can see that they don't really have any rights as smokers and as far as that is concerned, even people who would like to extend equal rights to smokers are themselves becoming outlaws.

For instance the business owner who wants to allow smoking in their establishment cannot in this state allow it. Non smokers are out of line to make those rules, the should use their economic vote instead legilating what a business can do.

There has been a huge amount of verifed bullcrap about smoking, the famous second hand smoke argument was shown to be fallacy and they had to legally retracted.

If you don't like to be around smoke that is understandable, but it is a non argument that you can get cancer from second hand smoke.

You should treat it like everything that you don't want to be around instead of criminalising it. sure it makes sense to keep it out of public buildings that people don't have a choice of being there.

So why don't the put a proportionate tax on Soda, because the majority drink and would have to pay that tax. It is an easy argument to make that soda and fast food kill many more people than cigarettes. If it was the same amount of tax your cheese burger combo would be close to $50

I am learning the true fate of a minority in this country
  • merriamksdem 2009/01/26 22:03:39
    merriamksdem
    The rights should be equal. There are pleanty of air filters now. Why not look to technology instead of infringing on rights. I like the idea of Separate businesses or rooms. Leave the choice up to the business owner. If I had a business it would be Strictly FOR Smokers. Non-smokers would be urged not to enter and if they did then that is on them.
  • hatshepsut123 2009/01/07 22:27:50
    hatshepsut123
    +1
    smoke if you want, go out and dont poison my body,dont want to breath your smoke and i dont like my hair and clothes to smell like cigars.
    themselfs smoke poison bodydont breath smoke hair clothes smell cigars
  • Fabio 2008/12/30 07:49:57
    Fabio
    +1
    i never smoked in my life, and frankly i don't care for the smoke of others either. I don't even feel entitled to empathize with a smoker. Even from my own father i heard them all, all the excuses in the book and somehow the favorite one is "hey... cars pollute more than cigarettes and until they keep on polluting why should i stop smoking??" As if that makes a smoker innocent of increasing everyone else's chances to get lung cancer. I lose my mother to cancer so smokers excuse me if i sound like a pain in the ass, but that's just the way i am. I like my health.
  • Jack Sheet Fabio 2009/09/27 02:32:59
    Jack Sheet
    People are only a pain in the ass when the are not bound by fact, like you sir. I feel bad for the loss of your mother, but please consider the truth instead of just your acting out. Don't let me tell you what it is, go find out
  • Teresa Fabio 2011/07/17 17:52:37
    Teresa
    +2
    your not sounding like a pain in the ass....everyone has their own opinions about smoking but I am a smoker and I don't mind going outside to smoke. I am a respectful woman but I don't like the idea of the government to ban smoking even outside where noone is in the harm of the situation. For so many years people grew up with second hand smoke and it didn't hurt them. Even I grew up with second hand smoke and my lungs are so clear not as clear as a nonsmoker but clear enough that I don't have any effects from my smoking for 32 years so far. My mom died of Cancer too but it wasn't from smoking, it was breast cancer. But anyways everyone is born with cancer cells and it flairs with certain people but not all people. Yes smoking is bad for the air and body but what isn't. Most of everything you eat, drink, breathe, and so on is bad for the aire and your body. I am being honest and non smokers need to lay off the smokers. Like everyone else is saying, it should be up to the business owner if they want smoking or no smoking in their business not the freaking government to make up their minds because they are not paying the business. Bureaucracy really suck these years.
  • marda11... Fabio 2011/09/16 02:47:22
    marda1112001
    +2
    Sorry about your mother, I lost mine to cancer too....the funny thing is, of all the people in my life that have died, those that smoked lived longer. My mother died at the age of 52 from cancer. She never smoked nor did she drink. My aunt who smoked lived to 84 yrs old. My old boss, didn't smoke, drink, curse or anything else 'bad' was a man who ate everything he was told was healthy and gave up anything that was not.....He died at 50 from cancer.
    I am not against the non smokers rights. Most smokers will follow the rules. Non smokers however think that they should have total control. Not only did smoking get banned inside resturants and stores and government offices and hosptitals,,,,to just name a few, but now nonsmokers want to take the right to smoke outside away from us. You have your rights, but damn, so do I. Tobacco was one of the main crop made the south prosperous. I am happy to give the nonsmoker his space as long as he doesn't try to steal mine.
  • Icedragon1969 2008/12/28 23:58:59
    Icedragon1969
    Not that the author said it well, but he, or she, is right. A smoker can -choose- to go outside or not to smoke and still survive. A non-smoker cannot, on the other hand, choose to stop breathing. If smokers want to smoke in public buildings then they need to get after cigarette manufactures to make a cigarette that doesn't expel smoke beyond their body.

Your rights end where my nose begins.
  • Jack Sheet Icedrag... 2009/09/27 02:36:44
    Jack Sheet
    That pretty much states that if I offend you I have no rights
  • Icedrag... Jack Sheet 2009/10/29 15:41:55
    Icedragon1969
    It does? You have a very different interpretation of the English language then.
  • Teresa Icedrag... 2011/07/17 17:54:55
    Teresa
    +2
    Well actually they have....its called the electronic cig and it works....but I still love my cigs...all non smokers can kiss my butt....
  • Vipor_GG Teresa 2011/12/28 13:48:53
    Vipor_GG
    Oh they've already started trying to ban those too.
  • Teresa Vipor_GG 2012/04/22 18:59:40
    Teresa
    +1
    How can they ban something that blows out water vapors...they are crazy...
  • Vipor_GG Teresa 2012/04/23 23:14:04
    Vipor_GG
    Yes they are crazy. It's crazy to ban smoking in cigar parlors also, but it's already been done. The Department of Transportation is trying to ban electronic cigarettes on all commercial flights.
  • marda11... Icedrag... 2011/09/16 02:50:45
    marda1112001
    +4
    I say keep your nose out of my smoke..... Why is it that when there are smoking sections and non smoking sections, the non smoker will sit in the smoking section and then criticize the person that lights up.....Stay in your own section
  • Icedrag... marda11... 2011/12/28 12:08:27
    Icedragon1969
    +1
    One, such "sections" are a joke. Unless they have a ventilation system and walls that separate the two, then the smoke drifts to fill both sections. Simple physics and rates of diffusion. Sorry to burst your bubble, but smoking indoors without the above considerations is still rendering the entire establishment a "smoking section."

That said, I'll agree that any non-smoker who sits down amidst smokers and then complains about the smoke is an ass-clown and needs a swift kick in the ass.
  • Vipor_GG Icedrag... 2011/12/28 14:15:06
    Vipor_GG
    +1
    The smoking ban where I live doesn't even allow for smoking in a separate building designated as smoking area. Any indoor area that is considered to be the work place smoking is prohibited. This applies to cigar parlors and even places that the only person there is the owner.
  • Icedrag... Vipor_GG 2011/12/28 22:10:50
    Icedragon1969
    +1
    Heh, you live in Georgia? That's the current law there. I'm a non-smoker and can actually not breath in even a hint of smoke (severe birth-related asthma and such), but even I find that ridiculous. I don't understand the desire or need to smoke, but even -I- have to admit that complete prohibition is nuts. Just give me a truly separate area I can go to or that smokers can go to and clearly designate each.
  • Vipor_GG Icedrag... 2011/12/29 00:24:25
    Vipor_GG
    +1
    I live in South Carolina. I smoke cigars, but I don't smoke in my own house. I can't explain the desire to smoke it is just one of those things you like or hate. For me it isn't smoke. My problem comes from fragrances used in most air-fresheners any many perfumes and colognes. Plugs my sinuses, gives me a migraine, and some make my eyes red or even swollen.
  • Icedrag... Vipor_GG 2011/12/29 01:12:25
    Icedragon1969
    +1
    Ouch, I feel you there. :(
  • Sasha 2008/12/28 00:50:20
    Sasha
    +1
    Because of the research that has been proven about second hand smoke, i feel that no one should endanger anyones life, with a risk that they're willing to take with theirs.
  • america... Sasha 2008/12/28 01:01:26
    america the afraid
    +1
    You are so right! What I think is that if a non-smoker gets lung cancer, we should be able to sue the cigarette companies for second hand smoke! I see no warnings about this on packs of ugly sticks.
  • Sasha america... 2008/12/28 01:11:43
    Sasha
    +1
    Their are so many cases of people getting lung cancer who never smoked, in their life,and it might take many years, to prove that second hand smoke is the reason why they die. The cigarette companies will continue to profit, until this is proven. I'm sure that most lung cancers are caused by second handsmoke .
  • Teresa Sasha 2011/07/17 18:00:38
    Teresa
    +2
    Thats because it not caused from smoking, think about it.....everyone is born with cancer cells and they just flair up on certain people. If you want to protect yourself stop breathing all together. Everytime you take a breath your breathing pollution from cars and factors and buses and so on....Its not all cigerattes...
  • Jack Sheet Sasha 2009/09/27 02:36:53
  • Teresa Sasha 2011/07/17 17:58:03
    Teresa
    +2
    Oh my god!!!!! researchers researchers researchers.......get a life.....name one thing that you eat, drink, or even drive that is not bad for your health...If you live in the City you will die sooner. Come on, your ancestor lived with second hand smoke and they still survived. You are young and you don't understand this so just get a life.
  • Neo 2008/12/27 16:50:24
  • america... Neo 2008/12/28 00:42:13
    america the afraid
    +1
    Oh, so what you are saying is that smokers to not go out to eat unless they may smoke while they eat! So, I guess you are also saying that smokers spend more money, have more money and there are more smokers in the US than non-smokers! LMFAO That is a bunch of crap! Good the less smokers I have to deal with while I am out the better!
  • Neo america... 2008/12/28 01:01:56
  • america... Neo 2008/12/28 01:23:58
    america the afraid
    So, what about the % of non-smokers that a restaurant will lose because, of the smoking? There is a loss there too. To me it is simple. No, smoking in public places. Keep it at home. We non-smokers do not put off any harmful smoke or stink of smoke for others to have to deal with. We just want to be able to do what we have to do to live. BREATH! You see, if I do not like the smell or the smoke. I can not just stop breathing because, I will die. But, a smoker can not just light up until they are away from public. It will not kill them! Smoking is a privilege not a right! But, it seems smokers think it is. Just like driving. It is a privilege not a right. But, do you here people that have effected other lives by killing peoples family members by drinking and driving and then losing the privilege to drive saying it is their constitutional right to drive? lol Smokers are so tunnel visioned! When it comes to the constitution their are more important things to worry about. Like it is unconstitutional to have to pay taxes, etc. Some things are just privileges not rights. But, it is my right to breath! I should not have to plan my life around some ass-hole that wants to have a bad habit!
  • Neo america... 2008/12/28 01:38:58
  • america... Neo 2008/12/28 01:44:59
    america the afraid
    See how such bad habit messes up everything! lol
  • Jack Sheet america... 2009/09/27 02:40:17
    Jack Sheet
    +1
    a restaurant is a private business that should be able to chose what it wants to do. I have to plan my life around the assholes who voted in the unfair taxes and laws, just because it doesn't adversely affect them
  • Pip 2008/12/27 15:15:53
    Pip
    +1
    Some, not all smokers, don't have enough concern about their own bodies, their children and families (the later - second hand smoke) . Do you think they would have a concern about yours?

But, they do have rights! However, they can exercise them away from us non-smokers.
  • america... Pip 2008/12/28 00:45:47
    america the afraid
    +2
    Also, think about this. The smokers that are on welfare and can not even feed or clothe their children will always find away to buy their cigarettes. Even at the cost of their children eating or being warm in the winter they will support their habit. It just makes me sick!
  • Pip america... 2008/12/28 03:54:54
    Pip
    Your right on with that!
  • Vipor_GG Pip 2012/04/25 21:34:40
    Vipor_GG
    Are smokers in a cigar parlor keeping to themselves? If so why is smoking in cigar parlors banned in many areas now? Why is operating a buisness that caters to smokers becomming illegal across the nation?
  • Jimbob 2008/12/27 12:15:18
    Jimbob
    I empathize with what you're saying, but it's not smokers who dictate where they can smoke. If you have a problem with a bar being smokey, you need to address that with the owner. I know Applebee's has non smoking sections, and you can get a drink there, maybe a place like that would be an amicable solution.

2014/09/02 14:26:18